Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-22-2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
Often unwise to impugn malice, or something along those lines. I think it is purely the result of the rapid increase in permit issuance that started about two years ago, which has been sustained. In other words, if they issued 7K permits in 2017, and a large proportion of those are now being renewed, that is combining with the new permit applications that are flowing in at the same rate, if not more rapidly.

I believe the OCSD budget is healthy, but maybe not healthy enough to permit them to double the staff assigned to this.
Nope... barnes took the reigns with increased scrutiny wanting additional info flogging the system down. The ďmassive issuanceĒ and renewals are overplayed. Just your hope squelching the real issue.

Extra scrutiny can be discussed wether its prudent or not. Could be some opportunist trying to cheat through the system

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 08-22-2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Nope... barnes took the reigns with increased scrutiny wanting additional info flogging the system down.
What is this ďadditional infoĒ you speak of?
Old 08-24-2019, 12:45 PM

Hello everyone, Iíve got a question and Iím hoping I can get some clarification.
I got my CCW a few months back and one of the firearms I have listed on my permit is a CA model shield that I purchased via PPT from a retired LEO. Itís completely stock with one exception... he had it sent to Robar for the whole NP3 treatment. When I purchased it I didnít see it as a problem and my course instructed didnít bat an eye as he looked it over and approved it, but now Iím reading that it could possibly get me into some hot water with the department as it could be seen as unapproved modification. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I better off selling it and buying a new from the factory gun? Iíve switched over to one of my other listed guns for the time being but I really do prefer the shield so Iím hoping I can get this figured out. Thank you for your time!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Best bet would be to just contact the sheriff's department and see what they say.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaza View Post
Hello everyone, Iíve got a question and Iím hoping I can get some clarification.
I got my CCW a few months back and one of the firearms I have listed on my permit is a CA model shield that I purchased via PPT from a retired LEO. Itís completely stock with one exception... he had it sent to Robar for the whole NP3 treatment. When I purchased it I didnít see it as a problem and my course instructed didnít bat an eye as he looked it over and approved it, but now Iím reading that it could possibly get me into some hot water with the department as it could be seen as unapproved modification. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I better off selling it and buying a new from the factory gun? Iíve switched over to one of my other listed guns for the time being but I really do prefer the shield so Iím hoping I can get this figured out. Thank you for your time!
Not sure what the np3 is but if they touched the trigger i would carry somthing else. Also im sure prosecutors will point out how you had you gun modified into a more lethal killing machine.

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 08-25-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaza View Post
Hello everyone, I’ve got a question and I’m hoping I can get some clarification.
I got my CCW a few months back and one of the firearms I have listed on my permit is a CA model shield that I purchased via PPT from a retired LEO. It’s completely stock with one exception... he had it sent to Robar for the whole NP3 treatment. When I purchased it I didn’t see it as a problem and my course instructed didn’t bat an eye as he looked it over and approved it, but now I’m reading that it could possibly get me into some hot water with the department as it could be seen as unapproved modification. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I better off selling it and buying a new from the factory gun? I’ve switched over to one of my other listed guns for the time being but I really do prefer the shield so I’m hoping I can get this figured out. Thank you for your time!
My CCW trainer said that custom finishes are a violation of policy. He told a story where one CCW licensee had all his guns chromed and they couldn't be put on his permit. And my trainer said he had asked OCSD about this policy and they confirmed it. I have a similar electroless nickel finish on one of my handguns, so I previously looked into this.

The truth is, there is probably a zero percent chance that the OCSD would ever find out about the coating on your gun. Obviously whomever you used to qualify the weapon didn't notice it? Not like you chromed a Glock. Personally, I don't want to be carrying a weapon in violation of OCSD policy for various reasons.

And yeah I think this is a silly rule, but being petulant about it does me no good. I'm just thankful that I can get a permit in California, something for the vast majority of my life I never thought would never happen.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:48 AM

I heard that the number of permits in OC is actually down below 20,000, even if they continue to issue roughly 500 permits per month.

It seems many elect not to renew, and one of the main reasons is because a good number of permit holders are apparently leaving the state, at least for 51% of the time, if not permanently.
Old 08-26-2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
I heard that the number of permits in OC is actually down below 20,000, even if they continue to issue roughly 500 permits per month.

It seems many elect not to renew, and one of the main reasons is because a good number of permit holders are apparently leaving the state, at least for 51% of the time, if not permanently.

I'm one that did not renew. My permit was for carrying a firearm in my topbox on the adventure motorcycle. Bike is sold, have quit riding, too old and my back is whack. Have not carried a weapon in public in the four years I had my permit, and now retiring and building a home out of state.

When I get where I'm going maybe I'll get one there.

Enjoyed the process and the experience. And still enjoy shooting - have all my life.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM

As of 9/1/2019, OCSD will require license pick-ups via appointment only.
Old 09-02-2019, 4:28 PM

Hello All,

Wisdom is needed for a renewal. Couple of questions.

1. Do I scan and resubmit the CA DOJ "Bureau of Firearms Initial & Renewal Application” or is it part of the online portion you fill out online now? Or is it not needed for renewal?

2. Other than the utility bills, CDL and Good Cause, is there anything I would need to scan and submit?

When I appiled originally everything was submitted in paper form. I'm just trying to see what I need or don't need this time
Old 09-04-2019, 2:54 PM

Picked up my permit today, and noted all of the dates along the way, so I can y'all an idea of timeline:

Applied: 6/7
Interviewed/Conditional Approval/Submit LiveScan: 6/11
Live Scan Approval: 6/20
Training & Certificate Submittal: 6/23
(certificate & serial no errors needed correction)
Investigator Approval & Submittal for Final Approval: 6/25
Conditional Final Approval + Error Correction: 8/28
(MORE certificate & serial no errors needed correction)
Final Approval & Pick Up: 9/4

AZ & UT Mailed: 7/2
AZ Received: 7/13
UT Received: 8/12

FL Mailed: 9/4
FL Received:

Looks like OCSD is running about 90 days at the moment, and I was pleasantly surprised at how on-the-ball AZ & UT were. I'll update this post once I receive FL.

Treat every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it ...
PISS ON IT and walk away.
Old 09-04-2019, 4:05 PM

Can anyone help this?

1. Do I scan and resubmit the CA DOJ "Bureau of Firearms Initial & Renewal ApplicationĒ or do I just fill out whatís online now?

Like is it not needed for renewal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Can anyone help this?

1. Do I scan and resubmit the CA DOJ "Bureau of Firearms Initial & Renewal ApplicationĒ or do I just fill out whatís online now?

Like is it not needed for renewal?

No one? No help available?

Old 09-05-2019, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
[URL="https://www.californiagunpermit.com/"]

The truth is, there is probably a zero percent chance that the OCSD would ever find out about the coating on your gun.
What about a traffic stop? But I agree, it's silly.
Old 09-05-2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
As of 9/1/2019, OCSD will require license pick-ups via appointment only.
It is 10/01/2109. OCSD will require license pick ups via appointment only.
Old 09-06-2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
No one? No help available?
Even an amendment to a current permit requires one to go through the application form online, again, though there are a couple fields where you enter reference numbers from your existing permit to connect the current application with what you submitted previously. I can't see why a renewal would be any different.
Old 09-07-2019, 3:12 PM

Since I posted a couple question about my renewal I though I'd post the timeline since I received it in time to beat Murphy to the punch (today is the old one's expiration BTW).

6/11 - applied for renewal and provided all documentation except the training certificate
6/24 - provided training certificate
8/20 - approved
8/30 - picked up new permit (because I had a lot of stuff going on, but I could have got it on the 20th if I could have got over there.)
Old 09-08-2019, 3:58 PM

Here's another timeline:

Applied 7/25
Fingerprints 7/26
Interviewed 7/27
Submitted additional requested documents 07/29
Training certificate submitted 08/07
No response as of 09/08

Anyone working along similar dates? Any thoughts shall be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I believe grips and sights changes are allowed. Although stippling doesnít really Ďmodifyí firearm functionality. Iím sure someone can weigh in on this.
I got a screenshot of a letter sent to my CCW trainers from a Sergeant Duda from the CCW Department stating stippling, sights, lasers, and lights are good to go. Just no changes to the internals but not limited to trigger, slide stops, magazine release, cerakoting, cutting into the frame, and barrel swaps 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 09-09-2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW1OC View Post
Here's another timeline:

Applied 7/25
Fingerprints 7/26
Interviewed 7/27
No response as of 09/08

Applied: 7/1 with all training docs, fingerprints, and good cause
Interview: 7/3
Called for update on 8/26: was told it was on Sergeants desk for approval

i'm expecting ill have it by/on the 30th
Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM

Hey everyone,
Navy Veteran here honorably discharged after serving 4 years, I was a Gunners Mate 2nd Class. I am looking to get my CCW, I live in OC. I was wondering if fear of gang violence and threats are a good enough cause for obtaining CCW. I am a whiteboy in a hispanic neighborhood and I get threats from near by gangs who call me gringo. I am worried about what might happen and the potential of threats, I usually keep to myself and try to avoid conflict. do you guys think this is a good cause?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Search, you can find some threads that might inform your thought process. As well, you might consider attending a Pre-CCW workshop.

In my case, I found it was very helpful. I had questions just like you. Search the calendar, they offer those classes a couple times each month. Totally free.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcSwaggin View Post
Hey everyone,

Navy Veteran here honorably discharged after serving 4 years, I was a Gunners Mate 2nd Class. I am looking to get my CCW, I live in OC. I was wondering if fear of gang violence and threats are a good enough cause for obtaining CCW. I am a whiteboy in a hispanic neighborhood and I get threats from near by gangs who call me gringo. I am worried about what might happen and the potential of threats, I usually keep to myself and try to avoid conflict. do you guys think this is a good cause?

+1 for the pre-CCW workshop. Itís extremely insightful and by the end of the class, youíll have a very good understanding of how to navigate this process.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonLover View Post
+1 for the pre-CCW workshop. Itís extremely insightful and by the end of the class, youíll have a very good understanding of how to navigate this process.

Alright sweet, I just registered and will be making the course on Friday, thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2019, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcSwaggin View Post
Hey everyone,
It's a legitimate fear, however you need to verbalize it in a way that it's an existential threat in your comings and goings, not some racial slurs, for you can't shoot somebody for calling you a gringo.
You also can't shoot people for stealing stuff - and you don't need a carry permit for your home as you already have that right.

Map out your daily activities, work and play, and what you see are potential threats of grave bodily injury or death - that is all you can defend for with a firearm. OCSD is really just looking for your ability to verbalize this and document your file as a CYA.

There's another thread here, probly some pages back, on this specific topic, even exact examples of GCS's - mine is there in full. Get some peer review when you get it fleshed out in a draft.

And thank you for your service.
Old 09-12-2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW1OC View Post
Here's another timeline:

Applied 7/25
Fingerprints 7/26
Interviewed 7/27
No response as of 09/08

My timeline is almost the same.

Applied: 07/15
Interview:07/18
FingerPrint: 07/18
CCW class: 07/20
FingerprintrecievedbyOCSD: 07/25
Approval/Pickup: 09/12

Old 09-12-2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delskidodledo View Post
My timeline is almost the same.

Applied: 07/15
Interview:07/18
FingerPrint: 07/18
CCW class: 07/20
FingerprintrecievedbyOCSD: 07/25
Approval/Pickup: 09/12

The timeline is almost the same. That means I should be hearing from them soon. How were you notified, just curious?
Old 09-12-2019, 7:48 PM

I was notified via a phone call and an email. I would suggest looking up your livescan, There is a website from the DOJ that tells you if your livescan has been completed or not. The receipt of the livescan results were the defying factor in which the first come first serve applies. I had a friend who applied 1 month ahead of me but has not been approved yet. His live scan came back 3 weeks after mine.

Old 09-13-2019, 2:56 AM

I received my approval yesterday so I thought I would post an update on the timeline here in Orange County
Had my interview July 19 at that time LifeScan results were back and all training requirements met was told 60 to 90 days from that point received approval yesterday September 12
That's 55 days for those who are counting
Old 09-13-2019, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt5156 View Post
[...] That's 55 days for those who are counting
Same as I experienced late last year.
Old 09-13-2019, 5:09 PM

Applied: 7/1 with all training docs, fingerprints, and good cause

Interview: 7/3

Approved/Picked up Permit: 9/13

74 days total
Old 09-13-2019, 7:39 PM

Thanks for the timelines guys. Keep them coming.

So far, it looks like the processing time can be anywhere from 49 days to 71 days after all paperwork is submitted and interview is complete.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:29 AM

Applied: 04/28
Interview:06/24
FingerPrint: 06/24
FingerprintrecievedbyOCSD: 06/25
CCW class: 06/30
Approval/Pickup: TBD

Old 09-14-2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opass View Post
It is 10/01/2109. OCSD will require license pick ups via appointment only.
When did they change it to 10/1? The email they sent me says 9/1 is the cutoff date, and I've been waiting around for their appointment.
Old 09-14-2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldo View Post
When did they change it to 10/1? The email they sent me says 9/1 is the cutoff date [...]
Yes, it was sent in an email. If it was in error, there is nothing on the Web site that I can find which suggests otherwise. What about any of you recently picking up your permit?