Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-09-2019, 1:47 PM

Default Knife sharpening

So I went on an Amazon spree and bought some folding pocket knives as well as a Lansky sharpener (the kind with the ceramic sticks at certain angles), and a leather strop with green honing compound.

The knives are sharp out of the box, but they could be sharper. Would you recommend using the fine grit on the sharpener at 25 degrees or 20 degrees? Does the recommended angle change for different knives (e.g. my little folders vs. Mora knives)? Or should I forgo sharpening altogether right now and just strop?
Old 09-09-2019, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=324

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 09-09-2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurecollector View Post
Aaaaaand there's all the info I need. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2019, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

its always best to do it at the same angle as the original factory edge. If they are brand new just strop and use until they fail the arm hair test.
Old 09-09-2019, 2:39 PM

Since you asked, I like my 1" table top belt sander with a leather Strop on it
Old 09-09-2019, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I just bought a cheap powered knife belt sander that works great.

Old 09-09-2019, 5:19 PM

I've been working in kitchens since 1979. The fastest way to ruin a knife is to let me sharpen it. Still. I had to quit buying good knives (except MAC's, even I can't screw up a MAC) even. I can ruin a ZDP Spyderco in no time. I'm pretty handy otherwise,but I'm hopeless at sharpening. I have pretty much every gimmick sharpening system ever made, and the dude in the truck with a Harbor Freight 4" belt sander kicks my *** every time. Sometimes it's better to pay.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

The Lansky fine prolly wont improve your factory edge. If anything strop the factory edge out of the box and wait til the knife actually dulls to use the lansky.
Old 09-10-2019, 5:09 AM

Other factors to consider: the blade material and the use/purpose of the knife.
Old 09-10-2019, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

For decades, I have used the Spyderco sharpener, but recently I went full bore and bought a Wicked Edge System off a member in the classifieds. This system is so good, that in a couple of hours, I had every knife in the house, razor sharp.

https://wickededgeusa.com/collections/sharpeners?utm_campaign=Brand%20Terms&utm_source=b ing&utm_medium=cpc&ad={creative}&utm_term=wicked%2 0edge%20knife%20sharpener
Old 09-10-2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
For decades, I have used the Spyderco sharpener, but recently I went full bore and bought a Wicked Edge System off a member in the classifieds. This system is so good, that in a couple of hours, I had every knife in the house, razor sharp.

https://wickededgeusa.com/collections/sharpeners?utm_campaign=Brand%20Terms&utm_source=b ing&utm_medium=cpc&ad={creative}&utm_term=wicked%2 0edge%20knife%20sharpener
Is it That much better than the Spyderco Sharpener? (that's what I too have been using)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

California Reloading Club - IE Section
Old 09-13-2019, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

My brother, using one of those $7 diamond-grit hand held Home Depot things that look like a square plastic honing "steel", can get a knife sharp enough to cut through the space-time fabric.

The only thing that happens when I use a Lansky is I cut my thumb. Every G.D. time...

With a Spyderco sharpener, I just make a lot of annoying noise.
Old 09-13-2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
So I went on an Amazon spree and bought some folding pocket knives as well as a Lansky sharpener (the kind with the ceramic sticks at certain angles), and a leather strop with green honing compound.

The knives are sharp out of the box, but they could be sharper. Would you recommend using the fine grit on the sharpener at 25 degrees or 20 degrees? Does the recommended angle change for different knives (e.g. my little folders vs. Mora knives)? Or should I forgo sharpening altogether right now and just strop?
Hmmmm... lotta questions, but I like to talk about edges...

Generally, if I have a new knife and I just want to touch it up, I'll stick with the angle from the manufacturer. No need to take off more steel than necessary.

Going straight to the strop from the manufacturer might not give you the best edge possible, as just about EVERY manufacturer churns out wavy or imperfect edges. But a ceramic rod might not be able to repair the inconsistencies.

There's no downside to stropping the edge to see what you'll get. Just remember to keep the pressure light, and to match the angle perfectly.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I like my WorkSharp belt sharpener. I get a great edge every time
Old 09-19-2019, 4:56 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
Mine just came yesterday, I'm gonna sharpen everything within shouting distance this weekend.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
I've been working in kitchens since 1979. The fastest way to ruin a knife is to let me sharpen it. Still. I had to quit buying good knives (except MAC's, even I can't screw up a MAC) even. I can ruin a ZDP Spyderco in no time. I'm pretty handy otherwise,but I'm hopeless at sharpening. I have pretty much every gimmick sharpening system ever made, and the dude in the truck with a Harbor Freight 4" belt sander kicks my *** every time. Sometimes it's better to pay.
You sound like you need an Edgepro. Yeah it's pricey, but neigh on impossible to screw up an edge. There's knock offs on the big auction site, but they aren't well built...wobbly and screws strip out on the cheap plastic. Congress Tools has replacement stones that are much cheaper than Edgepro.
Old 09-20-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterJones View Post
You sound like you need an Edgepro.
Hey, Walter.
I concur. I started off with one of those cheap Chicom clones, and was able to do a better edge than I ever could before. Of course I had to do repairs to it to keep it operational.

Then I threw down on some GOOD Japanese stones, which upped my game.

After squeezing out all the sharpness available from that setup, I finally coughed up the cash for a real EdgePro Professional. I'm VERY happy with it. No drama or futzing with the tools--now it's all about creating a spectacular edge.

Right now my opinion is evolving on how to make a really nice edge. Previously, I would polish everything down to sub-micron, and my edges were like mirrors. But recently I've been playing with diamond plates, and taking everything to 400 grit, and then stropping with 40μ paste. It's much harder to get a burr-free edge, but in the end, I think it's more usable in an everyday sort of knife.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Also some steel slices better when the edge is a bit on the "rough" side.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 AM
:)
CGN Contributor

You should really invest the time to learn to use a wet stone and strop. You can really get some amazing results.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
...and fast.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

I just buy a new knife...

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 10-04-2019, 1:27 PM
Veteran Member

Do you buy a new car after it runs out of gas?
Old 10-04-2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Do you buy a new car after it runs out of gas?
Oh, don't be too mean to him. Some people buy an off-the-lot car or an off-the-rack suit and they're perfectly happy to use it for a year until they have to throw down again for something that's not beat up or too tight around the waist.

Others can buy the same car or the same suit, then they customize/tailor it, and then they're looking spectacular shredding the canyon roads in their race car.

My knives are like race cars. In the wrong hands, accidents can happen and the red juices leak out. Not everyone should drive a race knife.
Old 10-04-2019, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

No, I buy more gas. Silly question.

It's an excuse to try a new knife style and give a starter present to someone who doesn't have a knife. I use the Spyderco sharpener (medium, fine, super fine) and touch it up/strop before giving the knives away. As much as I like the Benchmade Axis lock, I find that Spyderco's designs and metal combos work best for me.

My faves are currently the PM2, Para3, and Native 5 all in S30V. I wish that the Native 5 came with the compression lock. I might try the Salt series soon. Maybe an M2 version or other super steel later.

I still have to give away a Kersaw Scallion, a few Blurs, Leek, Skyline Dama, Benchmade 531, Honey Badger, some solid China knives, a few cheap 5.11 knives and maybe the HK Axis. I'm on the fence with the HK Axis. It's D2 and one of my faves.

Heck I carry a Skeletool CX on me and a Wave in my daily bag also. I use my Skeletool a whole lot more than the Wave, but the Wave is more useful when outdoors.

We haven't even gone into fixed blades, but my faves are ESEE 4 and SOG NW Ranger.

Old 10-04-2019, 4:49 PM

code_blue
No, I buy more gas. Silly question.

It's an excuse to try a new knife style and give a starter present to someone who doesn't have a knife. I use the Spyderco sharpener (medium, fine, super fine) and touch it up/strop before giving the knives away. As much as I like the Benchmade Axis lock, I find that Spyderco's designs and metal combos work best for me.

My faves are currently the PM2, Para3, and Native 5 all in S30V. I wish that the Native 5 came with the compression lock. I might try the Salt series soon. Maybe an M2 version or other super steel later.

I still have to give away a Kersaw Scallion, a few Blurs, Leek, Skyline Dama, Benchmade 531, Honey Badger, some solid China knives, a few cheap 5.11 knives and maybe the HK Axis. I'm on the fence with the HK Axis. It's D2 and one of my faves.

Heck I carry a Skeletool CX on me and a Wave in my daily bag also. I use my Skeletool a whole lot more than the Wave, but the Wave is more useful when outdoors.

We haven't even gone into fixed blades, but my faves are ESEE 4 and SOG NW Ranger.

Well dang if you happen to find an s30v skyline laying around, I would happily buy it.
Old 10-04-2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
It's an excuse to try a new knife style and give a starter present to someone who doesn't have a knife.
I like your style. I've only given away a couple nice knives. I have more that I don't use, but they're in a drawer because most people don't care about knives. Maybe I should try harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
As much as I like the Benchmade Axis lock, I find that Spyderco's designs and metal combos work best for me.
Right on. I used to be a Benchmade fanboy, and I still think their Axis Lock is the best thing ever. Recently I've been using Spyderco's. I also have a PM2 in S30V, which can be polished to a breathtaking edge. The compression lock is really cool. But I like the shape of the Manix 2 better. It just fits my hand. The ball bearing lock is almost as good as the axis lock. Just yesterday I bagged another Manix 2, but this time in Maxamet. I stropped it with 40μ diamonds, and called it good.

I also have an HK, made by Benchmade, Snoddy design, automatic, with the Axis. It's we'll used, but if it was in excellent shape, the HK fanboys would probably pay a pretty penny for it.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I have yet to try the Spyderco variant of the Axis lock. The Manix just seems a bit too big for me. I say that yet carry a PM2 almost daily right now. LOL

Try the Native 5. It's really ergonomic and has a great blade shape. I just wish it was a compression lock vs back lock. The back lock works and is fine, but you can't do the Spydie techniques as easily and the plastic scales add more friction than I'd like.

Yea, I think Hogue makes HK's knives for them now. Not a fan.