Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-09-2019, 5:54 PM

Default Recovering military service paperwork and medals?

Hello everyone im hoping to find someone on here who can guide me in the right direction, my father passed away in 1993 he was a Vietnam veteran who served 6 years during the war in the us army. When he passed away his greedy siblings stole his metals and paperwork he had from the time he was in service, I'm hoping i can go somewhere or apply somewhere online to find out his history in the service as ive been digging through his old locker and can only find his discharge paperwork amd some photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2019, 6:17 PM

Hope this gets you what you need.

-Frank

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...ervice-records

“Looking for?

DD 214/ Separation Documents
Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)
Replacement Medals
Medical and Health Records
Start Form Online (then Print and Mail)

Mail or Fax Form”

Thomas Paine

Old 09-09-2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKINGRAT View Post
Hello everyone im hoping to find someone on here who can guide me in the right direction, my father passed away in 1993 he was a Vietnam veteran who served 6 years during the war in the us army. When he passed away his greedy siblings stole his metals and paperwork he had from the time he was in service, I'm hoping i can go somewhere or apply somewhere online to find out his history in the service as ive been digging through his old locker and can only find his discharge paperwork amd some photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully the discharge paperwork is a DD214. That will be very helpful in tracking down everything.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCKINGRAT View Post
When he passed away his greedy siblings stole his metals and paperwork he had from the time he was in service
For that to be considered greedy, wouldn't they have to have some worth? There is very little value there other than sentimental.

I have also done the national archives route. Fortunately, since he served during Vietnam he wasn't succeptible to the 1973 fire that destroyed 80% of the army's records.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?

Last edited by jcourson; 09-10-2019 at 12:20 PM..
Old 09-10-2019, 6:04 PM

The links you were given allow next of Kin a copy of the DD214, and usually one complete set of medals.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Usually the DD214 will have medals earned in order of precedence (they'll often truncate it depending on how many the member was awarded) and any "warfare devices" or "pins" the member earned during their service.

If you want the citations for the medals earned, that's where I think the national archives will help. I had to go through them to obtain copies of portions of my medical and dental records during my time in.

Otherwise you can order the medals themselves online, if you wanted to make a shadow box or something.