Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-04-2019, 1:06 PM

Default No Name Pistol Club June 8 Match

This month's match is our regularly scheduled match on the 2nd Saturday of each month at Burro Canyon. We start at 9 AM on the first rental/tactical range on the right as you enter, across from the Range Office. Sign in with us, not at the office. Cost is $35 to cover range rental, targets, etc. Youth discounts are offered, and Burro Range members pay less as well.

Two or three handgun stages followed by a 3-gun. Bring your own water and food or snacks.
Old 06-05-2019, 7:07 PM

We run two or three pistol stages and then a 3-gun stage. Newcomers of either gender are very much welcome. Hardcore, seasoned competitors would find our matches too easy and not competitive enough. We are out to have safe fun and provide some training and an opportunity for someone to see if they want to get into formal matches.

I normally bring 150 rounds of handgun ammo, though it is unusual to go through that much. A box of rifle ammo and a box of birdshot for the 3 gun. We will walk newbies through everything and a safety/procedures run-through.

Some of us have competed in formal matches like the Steel Challenge and the Bianchi Cup, though most of us have not. Harold is our President and he is a retired LASD instructor/designated shooter who won the National Police Olympics several years running. But again - no high pressure and it is for fun. There is expertise available, however.

Cost is $35 to cover the private range rental and targets. We start about 9 AM and expect everyone to help with set up and takedown afterwards, as well as resetting and taping targets. Bring your own food and drinks. The match is usually over by 2 PM unless we have a very large turnout. Normally, it is anywhere from 6 to 16 shooters. Kids old enough to be safe are welcome.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM

I have been looking forward to trying this out since I last contacted you about this. I don't have a rifle in an intermediate caliber yet; just a pistol caliber carbine. Would that work? My pump and rifle don't have a sling *yet*; will both require retention on the stages? Lastly; for the ammo do I bring 100 rifle / 25 shotgun or 50 rifle / 25 shotgun? Thanks for taking the time to help answer my questions!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Bring 150 rounds of handgun, 25 rifle/carbine and 25 birdshot shotgun shells. No slings required...we usually have a dump barrel set up. Pistol caliber carbine is fine. You may not go through all that ammo, but better to have it...etc.

Allen has let me know that there will be a D-Day theme to the 3-gun match. So bring out your Garands, M-1 carbines, Springfields, Mausers, Moisin Nagants, etc as well as your 1911s, P-38s or ? Of course, you can shoot whatever you bring. It does not have to WWII vintage to participate.

alrich77@hotmail.com
Old 06-07-2019, 3:10 PM

Tomorrow - 9 AM, Burro Canyon, Range 1C Check in with us there, not at the range office.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

What a great time to be had by all.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCity67 View Post
What a great time to be had by all.
Did you make it to the match? I had some last minute emergencies at home, so I couldn't make it. I heard we had 5 shooters.
Old 06-09-2019, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
Did you make it to the match? I had some last minute emergencies at home, so I couldn't make it. I heard we had 5 shooters.

Nope I was just commenting that would be great. Wish we had something like that up North.
Old 06-10-2019, 7:41 AM

It is a lot of fun, being able to work from the holster, rapid fire, reactive targets, etc. Plus being timed, it adds a little spice and lets you measure your improvement over time. I am amazed we don't get more shooters who want to participate. You meet some good people, too.
Old 06-10-2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
It is a lot of fun, being able to work from the holster, rapid fire, reactive targets, etc. Plus being timed, it adds a little spice and lets you measure your improvement over time. I am amazed we don't get more shooters who want to participate. You meet some good people, too.
I made it; it was really fun and quite the enjoyable afternoon. Everyone is very friendly (and I'm saying this as quite the introvert) and this being my first time there are already multiple small lessons / learning points to bring back with me. (big lesson is oh boy do I not handle shotgun recoil well with my current body comp...calorie deficits have their disadvantages) I can't wait to attend next month and I'm glad I somehow stumbled upon this. Going to try and see if my coworker can make it up one of these times, he's new to this too and I think would really enjoy this.

Last edited by conquestking; 06-10-2019 at 7:19 PM..
Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks for letting me know how it went. It is always fun. Always the 2nd Saturday of the month, 9 AM, Range 1C at Burrow Canyon. Next match is July 13.