Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2022, 7:39 PM
Marauder2003's Avatar
Marauder2003 Marauder2003 is offline
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 1,749
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default UMC split

https://share.newsbreak.com/zmql9lr3
__________________
#NotMyPresident
#ArrestFauci
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2022, 7:51 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,061
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Good to see part of them still stand for the faith once delivered to the saints ! Didn't St Paul set something forth about " abusers of themselves with other men " somewhere in the NT ? Romans maybe ?

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2022, 9:19 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,497
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Couldn't read OP's article without downloading an app.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chr...bt-stance.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2022, 9:22 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,497
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

The Left destroys whatever they touch. And they have infiltrated the church to destroy it from within. Seeing an example of that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2022, 1:49 PM
RAMCLAP's Avatar
RAMCLAP RAMCLAP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 2,460
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Excellent.
__________________
Psalm 103
Mojave Lever Crew
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2022, 9:47 AM
RandyD's Avatar
RandyD RandyD is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: La Jolla, California
Posts: 6,290
iTrader: 61 / 100%
Default

The Bible is very clear that we are to part from those who actively sin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2022, 12:35 PM
PogoJack's Avatar
PogoJack PogoJack is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: In the aether
Posts: 1,040
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

ELCA
Presbyterian Church USA

Now this.

When you visit these churches, you can tell they are dead inside.
__________________
Quote:
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” - C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2022, 12:01 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is online now
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 6,856
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

"The breakaway denomination, called the Global Methodist Church, will officially exist as of Sunday. Its leaders have been exasperated by liberal churches’ continued defiance of UMC bans on same-sex marriage and the ordination of openly gay clergy."

those are not Christians! they are like democrats who use God's name only when it's convenient to exploit a certain crisis.

do they even use Bible? obviously not but a satanic book!
__________________
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2022, 5:00 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The Bible knows nothing of "church splits" but rather deals with sin by church discipline. Sad to see them not openly confront the sin with discipline. Most Christian churches have membership clauses that say you can't resign your membership when in the Matthew 18 process. So, they leave (run away), but the church still continues and reminds everyone what sin is and how God deals with it.
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-06-2022, 3:02 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,061
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Hi Bro Bill, may I make a point here ? Discipline only works with homosexuals in church organizations as far as the ones going another direction will accept it.
The group in this case is leaving the one going aside, not accepting not embracing what St Paul plainly rejected as SIN. So Called gay, liberal woke or whatever will not accept the truth. Leave them to their own devices, the LORD will deal with them. Just my sense of Paul's instruction in the New Testament. California has plenty of those desiring continual abuse of themselves with men with men and women with women. As well other states.

Psalm 1

Last edited by Garand Hunter; 05-06-2022 at 3:05 PM.. Reason: sentence structure
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-06-2022, 4:48 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Hi Bro Bill, may I make a point here ? Discipline only works with homosexuals in church organizations as far as the ones going another direction will accept it.
The group in this case is leaving the one going aside, not accepting not embracing what St Paul plainly rejected as SIN. So Called gay, liberal woke or whatever will not accept the truth. Leave them to their own devices, the LORD will deal with them. Just my sense of Paul's instruction in the New Testament. California has plenty of those desiring continual abuse of themselves with men with men and women with women. As well other states.

Psalm 1
Hi GH - Discipline always works regardless of the disciplined members response. The church goes through the four steps with or without them. Yes, very often they leave, don't agree with the discipline, etc. But, it doesn't matter because Matthew 18:18 clearly states that heaven (i.e. God) has already made the decision to do the four steps of discipline before the church did! (same with repentance after).

In the NT, discipline was even done in Thessalonica on people refusing to work because of their Rapture issues! I've seen discipline done for many different sins. I've never seen it publicly abused, but have known pastors who "modify" it and do it quietly but running people out of the church with it (ignoring steps 3 and 4).

The bottom line is that if a church leader is supporting something clearly sinful, the other elders need to discipline him if he won't change his belief. The biggest problem here is that the NT does not know denominations with supposed authority over a local church. So, the denomination leadership means nothing to Jesus Christ. They have no biblical authority. Local churches are independent entities with elders. Most denominations are already outside of God's sovereign plan to His Church (1 Cor. 1:2). That's why you can expect to see all of their major problems! Either do it God's way or suffer the consequences as they are.

That's why I've never been in a denomination until the Baptist church I'm pastoring at now. BUT, they have nothing to do the denomination anymore. Just an independent church with Baptist in their name. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone their to help a pastor/friend I've known for 25+ years.

In fact, this is the first church in a denomination that I'd ever recommend. Most denominational local churches are usually filled with unsaved people. Sad to see.

Blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2022, 8:39 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,061
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Hi again Bill, a answer response just as I would expect from you. No issues with you and your response. When I and my family were dealing with church issues I just said Weidersehen and moved on. Auf Weidersehen is German for " Til we meet again " and I just say Weidersehen and drive away. Life is enuff of a mess or good things without church issues. Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition !

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-09-2022, 8:22 AM
Dezrat's Avatar
Dezrat Dezrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 627
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.
1John 2:19
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2022, 9:14 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Hi again Bill, a answer response just as I would expect from you. No issues with you and your response. When I and my family were dealing with church issues I just said Weidersehen and moved on. Auf Weidersehen is German for " Til we meet again " and I just say Weidersehen and drive away. Life is enuff of a mess or good things without church issues. Praise The Lord and pass the ammunition !

Psalm 1
Another answer you'd expect from me: The church is FAR more important than the individual. In fact, our corporate salvation is written about FAR more often than our individual salvation. What that means is the serving the local body of Christ is first and foremost. Attendance, membership, ministry, fellowship, working through issues, etc., FAR outweigh our personal preferences, comfort, pleasure, priorities, time commitments, etc. We're a body and if you read 1 Cor. 12, especially down around v.25-27, you'll see that when one member suffers we all suffer. That also means that when one member sins we all are hurt. There are reasons for leaving a local church, they really come down to the church not being a valid church from Christ's perspective. Even then we stay longer than we thing we should to try and build a Christ-honoring church.

It's not about me, it's about Jesus Christ, God the Father's church (1 Cor. 1:2) and the Church the Father created and put Christ head over (Eph. 1:19-23).

Blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2022, 9:23 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is online now
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 6,856
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

when a church losses it's authority, Biblical standard and truths, it becomes merely a building where demon spirits reside. like samson and saul, God's spirit departed from them when they rejected His Word.
__________________
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-09-2022, 9:26 AM
Fastattack's Avatar
Fastattack Fastattack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Central Arizona (formerly So Cal)
Posts: 1,396
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

It is interesting to see how the various players attempt to justify their actions in the face of what the Bible clearly teaches. They can't even agree amongst themselves how to twist the Bible's words in order to feel good about themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-09-2022, 9:33 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
It is interesting to see how the various players attempt to justify their actions in the face of what the Bible clearly teaches. They can't even agree amongst themselves how to twist the Bible's words in order to feel good about themselves.
honest question - what does the Bible clearly teach?

blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2022, 11:09 AM
Dezrat's Avatar
Dezrat Dezrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 627
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
It is interesting to see how the various players attempt to justify their actions in the face of what the Bible clearly teaches. They can't even agree amongst themselves how to twist the Bible's words in order to feel good about themselves.
1Cor 11:19
For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-09-2022, 11:26 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
1Cor 11:19
For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
Wow. I don't know what translation you are using, but "heresies" is nowhere close to the Greek word here.

The New American Standard has it accurately:

1 Co11:19 For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you.


The word is factions and the context ties back to 1 Cor. 1:10-17 (esp. 11-12) and 1 Cor. 3:1f...

1 Co1:10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”

1 Co3:3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,061
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Its good to see you getting with the program again Bill.

Psalm 1
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-09-2022, 12:07 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Its good to see you getting with the program again Bill.

Psalm 1
Thanks. I wish had more time for this! I'll still be erratic, but hopefully, not as much as I've been in the past. Still don't have time for deep, long, debates!

Blessings!
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2022, 12:16 PM
Dezrat's Avatar
Dezrat Dezrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 627
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
Wow. I don't know what translation you are using, but "heresies" is nowhere close to the Greek word here.

The New American Standard has it accurately:

1 Co11:19 For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you.


The word is factions and the context ties back to 1 Cor. 1:10-17 (esp. 11-12) and 1 Cor. 3:1f...

1 Co1:10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe’s people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”

1 Co3:3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?

It's from an "obscure" version know as the King James Bible. I use an interlinear for study and teaching and am well aware of the Greek. A more applicable rendering considering the volume of factions based on heresies in these end times.
Maranatha.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2022, 12:33 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
It's from an "obscure" version know as the King James Bible. I use an interlinear for study and teaching and am well aware of the Greek. A more applicable rendering considering the volume of factions based on heresies in these end times.
Maranatha.
The KJV is definitely obscure and inaccurate for that verse. Certainly causes the reader to do a translation from archaic English. The KJV is also based lesser quality manuscripts than NASB and other literal, modern translations.

There is nothing in 1 Corinthians that says that the factions were based on "heresies in these end times." 1 Cor. 1-4 details the factions very clearly. In fact, they hadn't even formed into actual groups. If you looked across the body, you could see people "saying" (per 1:12) who they were supporting, and that lumped into several people.

Blessings,
Bill
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-09-2022, 2:22 PM
Dezrat's Avatar
Dezrat Dezrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 627
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
The KJV is definitely obscure and inaccurate for that verse. Certainly causes the reader to do a translation from archaic English. The KJV is also based lesser quality manuscripts than NASB and other literal, modern translations.

There is nothing in 1 Corinthians that says that the factions were based on "heresies in these end times." 1 Cor. 1-4 details the factions very clearly. In fact, they hadn't even formed into actual groups. If you looked across the body, you could see people "saying" (per 1:12) who they were supporting, and that lumped into several people.

Blessings,
Bill
Oh my...
First, I did not say that the rendering was applicable to the time of the Corinthians, I said it was applicable to our time.
Second, even a cursory study indicates that if looking to confine to a local context, ch1-4 most definitely do not define the factions of 11:19 at all. The opening verse of the passage is vs17, introducing a different subject altogether from ch 1-4, and directly defined in vs20-21. Pretty straightforward.
I did not use the passage(11:19) in its local context, nor did I misuse it in applying its truth to much of what calls itself the Church today and its factions and heresies.
I'm not going to get into one of your thread derailments that unfortunately stir up strife and seem designed lift yourself up more that edify the Body.
I regret responding to your original comment towards me, from observation and experience I know better. I will refrain from doing such.
The OP was not about any of this, I mistakenly perhaps thought it edifying and relevent to the OP to remember that this was all declared long ago in God's Word to be happening.

See you in heaven where there will be no debate. Hopefully we can begin celebrating it soon on the way up!


Pastor Brian
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-09-2022, 2:49 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Oh my...
First, I did not say that the rendering was applicable to the time of the Corinthians, I said it was applicable to our time.
Second, even a cursory study indicates that if looking to confine to a local context, ch1-4 most definitely do not define the factions of 11:19 at all. The opening verse of the passage is vs17, introducing a different subject altogether from ch 1-4, and directly defined in vs20-21. Pretty straightforward.
I did not use the passage(11:19) in its local context, nor did I misuse it in applying its truth to much of what calls itself the Church today and its factions and heresies.
I'm not going to get into one of your thread derailments that unfortunately stir up strife and seem designed lift yourself up more that edify the Body.
I regret responding to your original comment towards me, from observation and experience I know better. I will refrain from doing such.
The OP was not about any of this, I mistakenly perhaps thought it edifying and relevent to the OP to remember that this was all declared long ago in God's Word to be happening.

See you in heaven where there will be no debate. Hopefully we can begin celebrating it soon on the way up!


Pastor Brian
1. "Renderings" (I assume you mean "translation") are with respect to the Greek and the context to the book. In hermeneutics there is no such thing as a translation "applicable to our time." Application is applicable to our time, but they have to be of the in-context meaning of the text.

2. Yes, the factions of 1 Cor. 11 are related to Chapter 1. There are many facets to their social issues, and Paul's call that there "be no divisions among you," relates to every type of division in the letter. Yes, there is a specific issue there, but there were many facets to their division as individuals and as groups. See 1 Cor. 8, 10 for similar rich/poor division as in 1 Cor. 11. And, context of 1 Cor. 11 does not rule out that each individual possibly was choosing the house they went to based on the "I am of..." groupings of 1:12. The gatherings of 1 Cor 11 were not of the whole church in a single home.

3. 1 Cor 11:17f has a specific context - gathers of sub-groups of the church in the rich people's home for meals followed by the Lord's supper. "applying its truth to much of what calls itself the Church today and its factions and heresies" is too big a stretch for proper hermeneutics. And, there's nothing in 1 Cor. 11 about "heresies."

4."I'm not going to get into one of your thread derailments that unfortunately stir up strife and seem designed lift yourself up more that edify the Body. " Please repent of *trying* to read my heart. Nothing about my response had to do with lifting up myself more than edifying the body. Pastors are required to "accurately handle the word of truth" (2Tim 2:15) and that begins with an accurate translation of the truth. I simply pointed out the clear inaccuracy of the translation provided - and provided without explanation, thereby indicating to take the words as face value. So, honestly, posting that verse was where any possible derailment might begin.

5. "The OP was not about any of this, I mistakenly perhaps thought it edifying and relevent to the OP to remember that this was all declared long ago in God's Word to be happening." But you did none of that by using that incorrect translation of that verse, and a verse out-of-context.

6. I'll leave your personal attacks stand for others to see how you respond to someone just honestly correcting you.

Please respond to the arguments and not to your perception of the poster. You can't read hearts. And, please respond with a proper in-context, purely biblical answer. Then, its defensible.

Blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-09-2022, 3:46 PM
2761377's Avatar
2761377 2761377 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the V ring
Posts: 1,637
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

^^^
don't need to read your heart to see the pride in your posts.
__________________
MAGA
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-09-2022, 3:57 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
^^^
don't need to read your heart to see the pride in your posts.
Ouch. Another heart reader. Where, specifically, do you see "pride" in my post above?
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-14-2022, 6:11 PM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,497
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

I don't see pride in Bill's posts. I see someone defending their argument and I learn from these back and forths.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-15-2022, 4:40 AM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,029
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I have never been able to understand how someone can say that homosexuality is "acceptable", or "legal" when the Bible absolutely commands death to those who do it. I've heard people say that we must accept them, but that those who commit beastiality are wrong. Yet those two sins are in the same chapter in Leviticus and literally right next to each other, and both command the same punishment. Death. There is no exception.
Even some of Paul's statements seem to be specifically aimed at the LGBT community, and those get ignored, or twisted.

Please note. I am not saying anything about those with an "alternate" lifestyle, as it's been called. I don't want anyone saying I'm homophobic. I'm commenting on obvious, and possibly deliberate, misuse, or misinterpretation, of the Bible.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 05-15-2022 at 4:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-15-2022, 4:57 AM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
I don't see pride in Bill's posts. I see someone defending their argument and I learn from these back and forths.
Thanks.

Have a blessed day of worship!
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-15-2022, 8:55 AM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is online now
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 6,856
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

to all pastors on calguns, here are some question:
1- i wonder how many here uses 10 commandments to identify sins?
2- how many here identify sins by name when preaching (i guess interchangeable/similar to question #1)?
__________________
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-15-2022, 2:46 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
to all pastors on calguns, here are some question:
1- i wonder how many here uses 10 commandments to identify sins?
2- how many here identify sins by name when preaching (i guess interchangeable/similar to question #1)?
1. Read this carefully . I don't use the 10 commandments as the 10 commandments presented in Exodus 20. Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law and so we're no longer under them *as presented in Exodus 20.* Why is that important? Well.... half of them have the death penalty under the Mosaic Law!

But, with that said, nine are repeated in the New Testament but there is no longer a death penalty! The only one NOT in the NT is keeping the Sabbath. The Sabbath is Saturday (no, not redefined over to Sunday either). NT worship is "In spirit and in Truth" (John 4:24) - IOW internal worship, not outward observance of laws. We are free to worship all the time and the early church chose to begin Sunday worship coinciding with Christ's resurrection on a Sunday morning.

2. Yes, definitely. I'm always asking people what their top three sins are so that I can preach on them! Funny, no one wants to tell me. The ones that get some people to complain? Anxiety & Worry (Matt 6) (i.e "stress is a sin), fear of men (1 Peter 3:14), gluttony, extreme over-weight (lack of self-control), and worldliness (1 John 2:15-17).

Since a pastor is called to "preach the word" "in season and out", every sin the Bible is going to be called out by name sooner-or-later, especially when you preach book-by-book, verse-by-verse as I do!

Blessings,
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-15-2022, 2:50 PM
Garand Hunter Garand Hunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,061
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Good reply Bill!

Psalm !
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-15-2022, 4:20 PM
Sailormilan2 Sailormilan2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,029
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Good reply Bill. Let me refer to your last statement.

“Since a pastor is called to "preach the word" "in season and out", every sin the Bible is going to be called out by name sooner-or-later”.

My comment to that, and your statements just before it, is this. You are correct in that we are no longer under the Law, though the “10 Commandments” are technically the “covenant”, the Law defines what a sin is. Sin is a violation of the Law, and Paul says that without the Law there is no sin.
Without the Law as a standard to define what a sin is, there may be chaos. Everyone, or one particular person, giving their opinion as to what is a sin. I’ve come out of a group like that.
So, while I agree that we are no longer under the Law, the Law still serves a purpose to show if a particular thing is a sin.
As is said, All scripture is given for inspiration, reproof, doctrine……….

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 05-15-2022 at 6:33 PM.. Reason: Correct typo
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-15-2022, 4:34 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Good reply Bill. Let me refer to your last statement.

“Since a pastor is called to "preach the word" "in season and out", every sin the Bible is going to be called out by name sooner-or-later”.

My comment to that, and your statements just before it, is this. You are correct in that we are no longer under the Law, though the “10 Commandments” are technically the “covenant”, the Law defines what a sin is. Sin is a violation of the Law, and Paul says that with the Law there is no sin.
Without the Law as a standard to define what a sin is, there may be chaos. Everyone, or one particular person, giving their opinion as to what is a sin. I’ve come out of a group like that.
So, while I agree that we are no longer under the Law, the Law still serves a purpose to show if a particular thing is a sin.
As is said, All scripture is given for inspiration, reproof, doctrine……….
More later, but first, thanks for your thoughtful and correct response. BUT, "Law" in the NT has multiple meanings. Most people just think every reference to "Law" means the Mosaic Law, of which the 10 Commandments are a summary of.

But, (and this is where it may be a while before I get back in depth), some uses are God's moral law, which is above all specific "sets" of Law. Just think timeline for "specific sets" of laws. What was "law" before the Mosaic Law. Cain sinned against God with his offering. But there was no Mosaic Law yet. Read Romans 5:12-14 to get thoroughly confused. And, what is the "law" after Christ's resurrection? It's not the Mosaic law. We call it the "Law of Christ" (1 Cor. 9:21; Gal. 6:2). Above all of those is God's moral law, i.e. what is right and wrong "at His level."

Gotta go. Great response. Thanks. Do a search on "law" in the NT and try to see, in context, what the Holy Spirit is revealing - what "law" is He talking about???

Blessings!
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-15-2022, 4:47 PM
Barang's Avatar
Barang Barang is online now
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Temporary here on earth
Posts: 6,856
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
1. Read this carefully

Since a pastor is called to "preach the word" "in season and out", every sin the Bible is going to be called out by name sooner-or-later, especially when you preach book-by-book, verse-by-verse as I do!

Blessings,
thank you bill. the reason i asked is because porn, abortion, gay marriage, transgenderism, fornication, adultery and foul language are the norm and promoted by dems, hollywood, social media, woke corporate america and liberal entertainments (all forms). so i am curious how many pastors here confront these sins and condemn them at the pulpit. reminding congregants to stay away from them, that those will never be approved by God because He is holy, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

the 10 commandments are useful in identifying sins because they serve as a mirror that clearly identify sins. I still believe that we are under the Law but the penalty of instant death is already paid by Jesus. when we sin, we ask for forgiveness and He's is faithful to forgive (by His grace).

we don't keep the Law to be saved but we keep the Law because we love Him. We show our faith through good works (you shall know them by their fruits) because we now have a new personality (born again). it's good to keep the Law to remind us of the boundaries and keep us in line with God's word.
__________________
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine. It’s very easy to disguise a medical program as a humanitarian project. ~ Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Barang; 05-15-2022 at 7:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-15-2022, 7:22 PM
spectralhunter's Avatar
spectralhunter spectralhunter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 493
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
thank you bill. the reason i asked is because porn, abortion, gay marriage, transgenderism, fornication, adultery and foul language are the norm and promoted by dems, hollywood, social media, woke corporate america and liberal entertainments (all forms). so i am curious how many pastors here confront these sins and condemn them at the pulpit. reminding congregants to stay away from them, that those will never be approved by God because He is holy, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

the 10 commandments are useful in identifying sins because they serve as a mirror that clearly identify sins. I still believe that we are under the Law but the penalty of instant death is already paid by Jesus. when we sin, we ask for forgiveness and He's is faithful to forgive (by His grace).

we don't keep the Law to be saved but we keep the Law because we love Him. We show our faith through good works (you shall know them by their fruits) because we now have a new personality (born again). it's good to keep the Law to remind us of the boundaries and keep us in line with God's word.
Unfortunately a lot of church pastors do not condemn sins today. Especially in many of the megachurches, they tow a line regarding sin because they do not want to offend anyone and lose members.

But doing so risks the lives of every church member, including the pastor. It's no longer repent, ask for forgiveness and God is faithful and will save you. It's becoming more like, Jesus loves you no matter what you do. The Gospel has been diluted into nothing sadly in many cases.
__________________
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-16-2022, 7:57 AM
Wordupmybrotha's Avatar
Wordupmybrotha Wordupmybrotha is offline
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 6,497
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Good reply Bill. Let me refer to your last statement.

“Since a pastor is called to "preach the word" "in season and out", every sin the Bible is going to be called out by name sooner-or-later”.

My comment to that, and your statements just before it, is this. You are correct in that we are no longer under the Law, though the “10 Commandments” are technically the “covenant”, the Law defines what a sin is. Sin is a violation of the Law, and Paul says that without the Law there is no sin.
Without the Law as a standard to define what a sin is, there may be chaos. Everyone, or one particular person, giving their opinion as to what is a sin. I’ve come out of a group like that.
So, while I agree that we are no longer under the Law, the Law still serves a purpose to show if a particular thing is a sin.
As is said, All scripture is given for inspiration, reproof, doctrine……….
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
thank you bill. the reason i asked is because porn, abortion, gay marriage, transgenderism, fornication, adultery and foul language are the norm and promoted by dems, hollywood, social media, woke corporate america and liberal entertainments (all forms). so i am curious how many pastors here confront these sins and condemn them at the pulpit. reminding congregants to stay away from them, that those will never be approved by God because He is holy, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

the 10 commandments are useful in identifying sins because they serve as a mirror that clearly identify sins. I still believe that we are under the Law but the penalty of instant death is already paid by Jesus. when we sin, we ask for forgiveness and He's is faithful to forgive (by His grace).

we don't keep the Law to be saved but we keep the Law because we love Him. We show our faith through good works (you shall know them by their fruits) because we now have a new personality (born again). it's good to keep the Law to remind us of the boundaries and keep us in line with God's word.
I agree with the posts above. That's my understanding also.

Bill might be talking about how using the term "laws" get murky, because there are so many kinds, including dietary laws and other restrictions used to set apart Jewish people, but to me, the 10 commandments summarizes the perpetual moral obligations between man and God (1-4) and between man and man (5-10) that still define sin. God is still holy and what he deemed unholy before Christ's death is still considered unholy now and tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-16-2022, 1:58 PM
billvau's Avatar
billvau billvau is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norcal mountains
Posts: 748
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
I agree with the posts above. That's my understanding also.

Bill might be talking about how using the term "laws" get murky, because there are so many kinds, including dietary laws and other restrictions used to set apart Jewish people, but to me, the 10 commandments summarizes the perpetual moral obligations between man and God (1-4) and between man and man (5-10) that still define sin. God is still holy and what he deemed unholy before Christ's death is still considered unholy now and tomorrow.
Go a level higher as I explained. It's not "types" of laws but rather laws handed down by God for times before, during, and after the Mosaic Law. ABOVE all of those is God's moral standard (the highest level "law").

Blessings!
__________________
Pastor Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:33 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical