Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 AM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
If we get a majority in the 9th the world will be a different place. Somehow we also need to get republican politicians to realize the demographics of the state and trim their sails accordingly. Hispanics used to be republican before racism took hold in the party. Why the hate towards our amigos who after all founded California?!?!
Pure crap.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If we get a majority in the 9th the world will be a different place. Somehow we also need to get republican politicians to realize the demographics of the state and trim their sails accordingly. Hispanics used to be republican before racism took hold in the party. Why the hate towards our amigos who after all founded California?!?!
If expecting people to obey our laws, stand on your own two feet and stop asking for free stuff is racist then I guess your statement is valid...

John 14:6
Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
^^^^^ Completely bull*****. Using the race card is so last century and shows your intellectual laziness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 11:17 AM

Does anyone who has kept track of the court documents know if the plaintiffs filed for an introduction of a preliminary injunction by the 3 judge panel? Will there be an opportunity to reintroduce Benitez's injunction while these proceedings carry out?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuug View Post
Does anyone who has kept track of the court documents know if the plaintiffs filed for an introduction of a preliminary injunction by the 3 judge panel? Will there be an opportunity to reintroduce Benitez's injunction while these proceedings carry out?
Benitez's orders are still in place until the next proceedings vacate it or replace it.
Old 03-25-2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
9CA:
Uphold: State Request for injunction to stay ruling
Overturn: Plaintiff Request for injunction to stay ruling

2 years to En Banc:
Ditto
Ditto

3 years to SCOTUS:
Uphold: The BS goes away
Overturn: My kids and grandkids have had an additional 5 years to enjoy freedom and understand the BS this state has wrought. The grandkids will be able to vote.
Some random thoughts -
1. If for some reason, we can't get a reversal at CA9 granted cert at SCotUS, that is effectively an Overturn, since the lower court's (CA9) ruling is retained.

2. That said, I still like the odds, because there appear to be only 2 outcomes where an Overturn occurs, and the chances of either of those outcomes seems less than 25%.

3. I can patiently wait for the case to work its way to SCotUS, especially since it is unlikely that SCotUS would let the present status of the case be revoked during the appeal.
Old 03-25-2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Benitez's orders are still in place until the next proceedings vacate it or replace it.
Yes I am aware of that. My question is specifically about whether there is an opportunity to lift the stay on his injunction before we get to the panel opinion.
Old 03-25-2020, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
My question is specifically about whether there is an opportunity to lift the stay on his injunction before we get to the panel opinion.
Good luck with that.
Old 03-25-2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Yes I am aware of that. My question is specifically about whether there is an opportunity to lift the stay on his injunction before we get to the panel opinion.
It seems possible to me. The original order was well written and logical, and at least 2 of the new judges are legitimate. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.
Old 03-25-2020, 5:15 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

If I had to guess I'd say 'no'. The stay remains in place until the panel makes a ruling. That's the point (technically) of the appeal: to find out if the lower court judge made a procedural mistake.
Based on the make up of the panel I have hope for this case. At the very least it won't be decided against us based on "guns are bad".
Old 03-25-2020, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No.
Old 03-25-2020, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

As much as I'd hope for another Freedom Week, not expecting it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 03-25-2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
As much as I'd hope for another Freedom Week, not expecting it.
+1. The only freedom week will be what occurs if Judge Benitez' ruling is upheld by SCotUS. Then, it won't be limited to a week...
Old 03-25-2020, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

In my family, the Hispanics, the 2nd Colony in Alta California, members of the 1775/1776 Anza Party have always voted Republican, they were Basque as was their leader Anza.

In my family the Hispanics the colonized Arizona and New Mexico, most have done the same. Of course we are a Heinz 57 of European flavors and Indigenous Peoples of North America.

Spanish 1500's, Dutch 1620's, English 1630's, Scots 1680's, Scot-Irish 1720's, German's 1720's, Indigenous Peoples from both the Western and the Eastern seaboards.

Spanish in Mexico, Dutch in New Amsterdam, now New York City, English in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, between my wife and I we claim 9 men that fought in the American Revolution, I am working on a 10th.

They fought in New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylvania , Virginia, Kentucky etc.

My 5th GGP and their oldest son, my 4th GGF have their names on the granite monument outside Fort Boonesborough.

I agree, idiots that don't know the their history, make really stupid comments.

Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Californio; 03-25-2020 at 7:04 PM..
Old 03-25-2020, 7:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Getting things back on track, since I don't see where discussions about politics and racism have anything to do with this thread...

I've noticed that it's generally assumed by most that this case (and generally any/all other 2A cases) will always be granted an en banc hearing. While that has certainly happened on more than one occasion, it's hardly "par for the course," especially with the less liberal tilt we have in the 9th these days.

The circuit courts of appeals, as a whole, only hear en banc around 5% of the cases that request it.

So, just saying that it's not "a given", as most have implied it is. It very well could go straight to SCOTUS after this.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-25-2020 at 7:17 PM..
Old 03-25-2020, 7:22 PM
Administrator

A member PMs this link, https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/calenda...aseno=19-55376 on which is the link to the oral args upcoming 4 - 2
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:10 AM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Getting things back on track, since I don't see where discussions about politics and racism have anything to do with this thread...

I've noticed that it's generally assumed by most that this case (and generally any/all other 2A cases) will always be granted an en banc hearing. While that has certainly happened on more than one occasion, it's hardly "par for the course," especially with the less liberal tilt we have in the 9th these days.

The circuit courts of appeals, as a whole, only hear en banc around 5% of the cases that request it.

So, just saying that it's not "a given", as most have implied it is. It very well could go straight to SCOTUS after this.
I could be mistaken but hasn't the 9th taken every single pro2A win, up to now, en banc? Due to the recent changes in composition on the court I'm not saying it'll happen again should we win here...but in the past their activities to deny us a win were, imo, most unprecedented.

Last edited by Sputnik; 03-26-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Old 03-26-2020, 3:40 AM

Quote:

It may not go to SCOTUS at all if it doesn't go en banc. CA doesn't want to go in front of a hostile 5-4 conservative majority.
Old 03-26-2020, 7:29 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It may not go to SCOTUS at all if it doesn't go en banc. CA doesn't want to go in front of a hostile 5-4 conservative majority.
California would likely draw similar ire from gun-disliking politicians and groups across the country as did DC when they considered petitioning for cert after their loss in Wrenn/Grace.
Old 03-26-2020, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
California would likely draw similar ire from gun-disliking politicians and groups across the country as did DC when they considered petitioning for cert after their loss in Wrenn/Grace.
Exactly. With the comp of judges we have we are likely facing another win in this case. Our biggest worry is the leftists voting to go en banc because that would slow us down by another year at the very least.
Old 03-26-2020, 1:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I could be mistaken but hasn't the 9th taken every single pro2A win, up to now, en banc? Due to the recent changes in composition on the court I'm not saying it'll happen again should we win here...but in the past their activities to deny us a win were, imo, most unprecedented.
That's right, but the thing is, it's a very small sample size to draw a conclusion from. How many 2a cases have we won in the 9CA that CADOJ then requested an en banc hearing for? Peruta is the only one I can think of, maybe there was also another one in recent years that I'm not remembering. So yes, 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 is 100%, but it's such a small sample (and from a time when 9CA was far more heavily liberal) that I really don't think it's indicative of all 2A cases going forward.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-26-2020 at 2:05 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 1:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
I agree - the only cases that are going to SCOTUS are the ones where CADOJ won at CA9, and our side petitioned for SCOTUS cert, like Pena v Lindley. It's extremely unlikely that CADOJ would petition for cert after losing at CA9 - especially when the law in question is similar to laws shared by other states in other circuits.

Although, it wouldn't be the first time CADOJ has done something embarrassingly stupid... I recall not too long ago, with this very case, they filed an appeal with CA9 about the preliminary injunction, and the 3-judge panel came just short of laughing them out of the courtroom

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-26-2020 at 2:04 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 3:31 PM

Quote:
That's right, but the thing is, it's a very small sample size to draw a conclusion from. How many 2a cases have we won in the 9CA that CADOJ then requested an en banc hearing for? Peruta is the only one I can think of, maybe there was also another one in recent years that I'm not remembering. So yes, 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 is 100%, but it's such a small sample (and from a time when 9CA was far more heavily liberal) that I really don't think it's indicative of all 2A cases going forward.
True BUT, as I recall, it only takes one judge to ask for en banc review. And Sidney Thomas is about as anti-gun as they come. He will delay any case as long as he can, especially one where the gun guys win. His real problem right now is that he painted himself into a corner with Peruta--if there is no right to concealed carry a firearm, then there must be a right to open carry, or there is no right at all. (I have no doubt that he would wish it to be the latter, but I have a feeling that choice will be taken away from him by the Supreme Court.)
Old 03-26-2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
True BUT, as I recall, it only takes one judge to ask for en banc review. And Sidney Thomas is about as anti-gun as they come. He will delay any case as long as he can, especially one where the gun guys win. His real problem right now is that he painted himself into a corner with Peruta--if there is no right to concealed carry a firearm, then there must be a right to open carry, or there is no right at all. (I have no doubt that he would wish it to be the latter, but I have a feeling that choice will be taken away from him by the Supreme Court.)
It's not a question of if there will be a vote for en banc, it's a matter of when and if they have the votes to actually take the case up. The leftists know they can only delay and that is exactly what they will do with the en banc vote. But they do run the risk of if they win the en banc vote, then the Supreme Court will likely take the case up because it will absolutely be appealed by the plaintiffs. They might think it is better to take the L for CA to prevent Hawaii, New York, Virginia, and the other democrat strongholds from having to allow standard capacity mags. This doesn't even take into account that the question may already be settled by NYSRPA when we finally get the opinion for that case.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
It's not a question of if there will be a vote for en banc, it's a matter of when and if they have the votes to actually take the case up. The leftists know they can only delay and that is exactly what they will do with the en banc vote. But they do run the risk of if they win the en banc vote, then the Supreme Court will likely take the case up because it will absolutely be appealed by the plaintiffs. They might think it is better to take the L for CA to prevent Hawaii, New York, Virginia, and the other democrat strongholds from having to allow standard capacity mags. This doesn't even take into account that the question may already be settled by NYSRPA when we finally get the opinion for that case.
That's a good point. That's a risk they could take with Peruta, since SCOTUS was likely to (and indeed, did) decline cert back in 2016. That's not the case anymore.

A slight correction to your post above, although I do agree with the point you were making: Hawaii is in the 9th circuit, so they will lose their magazine restrictions if we win in the 9th, whether or not SCOTUS takes this.

Old 03-26-2020, 6:43 PM

Couldn't the 9th Circuit not rule favorably and like has been the norm lately with Chief Justice Roberts - the SCOTUS gutlessly just decides NOT to take it up and the 9th Circuit Ruling stands. No one seems to be mentioning that.
Old 03-26-2020, 6:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco75a View Post
Couldn't the 9th Circuit not rule favorably and like has been the norm lately with Chief Justice Roberts - the SCOTUS gutlessly just decides NOT to take it up and the 9th Circuit Ruling stands. No one seems to be mentioning that.
That's virtually the only thing anyone was saying, for the first roughly 47 pages of this thread, until a few weeks ago, when things took an unexpected turn in a favorable direction.

Old 03-26-2020, 7:16 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's virtually the only thing anyone was saying, for the first roughly 47 pages of this thread, until a few weeks ago, when things took an unexpected turn in a favorable direction.
I'm finding it hard to not be excited by these unexpected favorable turns. I have to force myself not to get all giddy with the idea of winning this case. Can't start counting chickens just yet...but boy do I want to.
Old 03-26-2020, 7:17 PM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

Quote:
That's a good point. That's a risk they could take with Peruta, since SCOTUS was likely to (and indeed, did) decline cert back in 2016. That's not the case anymore.

A slight correction to your post above, although I do agree with the point you were making: Hawaii is in the 9th circuit, so they will lose their magazine restrictions if we win in the 9th, whether or not SCOTUS takes this.
Hawaii would also push for appeal, and would file an amicus. But, everybody here already knows that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2020, 7:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
Hawaii would also push for appeal, and would file an amicus. But, everybody here already knows that.

Case was already appealed - do you mean they'll push for en banc if the appeal is lost? If so, yes I agree.

Old 03-26-2020, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
You're correct that any single judge on the court can request an en banc review, but it takes a majority vote of all non-recused judges on the court in order to grant the review.
Old 03-26-2020, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Case was already appealed - do you mean they'll push for en banc if the appeal is lost? If so, yes I agree.
No. I mean what I said. Cases can be appealed all the way up to SCOTUS. SCOTUS is not just the final word, they are the ultimate appellate court.

Old 03-27-2020, 1:57 AM

Quote:

This lawsuit involves CA magazine laws. A win here does not automatically mean Hawaii magazine laws are struck down. A new lawsuit challenging Hawaii mag bans with these cases as precedent would have to be initiated.
Old 03-27-2020, 8:46 AM

Chambers v U.S. opinions written in the Ninth are binding upon all federal judges within the Circuit. A case may need to be brought but Federal judges are bound to follow the ruling.
Old 03-27-2020, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbair View Post
Chambers v U.S. opinions written in the Ninth are binding upon all federal judges within the Circuit. A case may need to be brought but Federal judges are bound to follow the ruling.
Now go ahead, read my post, and explain how that is different from what I said.
Old 03-27-2020, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbair View Post
Not exactly. If another case is brought forth on the same subject matter the prior ruling will be heavily considered, but the argument may throw a wrench into how the previous ruling was wrong. For example, Intermediate Scrutiny was used when Stricter Scrutiny should've been applied. For the most part I agree with what was said, but there's always that "what if" scenario.

Old 03-27-2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
This lawsuit involves CA magazine laws. A win here does not automatically mean Hawaii magazine laws are struck down. A new lawsuit challenging Hawaii mag bans with these cases as precedent would have to be initiated.
And what makes you think a lawsuit in Hawaii wouldn't be initiated?
Old 03-27-2020, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Will CA9 live stream orals? Link?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Will CA9 live stream orals? Link?
I don't know but its going to be a video argument the lawyers won't be live.
I suspect that will cause some technical problems

Its going to require a lawsuit to overturn the Hawaii law but if the NRA wins in Duncan wins then that is pretty easy to do.

― Plato
Old 03-28-2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
And what makes you think a lawsuit in Hawaii wouldn't be initiated?
One will be initiated and that's my point. Just because our work might be done against CA doesn't mean we just sit back and Hawaii's domino falls. It's going to be a little while longer for those in other states to get their rights back. Just like how a win with Young v. Hawaii doesn't automatically mean we in CA can openly carry.