Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-19-2021, 6:44 AM

Default CCW OK while dropping off friends at SFO airport?

Is it fine to CCW while dropping off friends at the curbside at San Francisco Airport? Not going inside any building though. Thanks
Old 05-19-2021, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Why wouldn't it be? You're not going into any secure area. Traffic will pretty much suck, but that's nothing new.
Old 05-19-2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry007 View Post
Is it fine to CCW while dropping off friends at the curbside at San Francisco Airport? Not going inside any building though. Thanks

Yep. Nothing wrong with being in your car or even being outside your car and helping with luggage, etc. You’re good all the way up to the TSA checkpoint as long as the airport has no sign at the entrance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2021, 7:12 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just cant take it in the controlled ares.

Our Fullerton store is Open!
714.242.5400 - Info@ShootSoCal.com
10-6 Monday- Saturday, No Appointment needed.
1139 S Placentia Ave Fullerton CA 92831

Glock Optic Cuts Glock, M&P, Shield, CZ and 1911 Starting $125

FFL TRANSFER $50 / Ammo $25

We are hiring GUNSMITH position

Factory Trained and Certified CERAKOTE Applicator.

View our Online Gun Store here!
Old 05-19-2021, 8:16 AM

Got it, thanks!
Old 05-19-2021, 12:27 PM

Check the local ordinances for the county and airport. For example Orange County prohibits weapons anywhere on the airport, except if broken down and prepped for travel, or with the permission of the Airport Director...

O.C.C.O 2.1.53(i)

Lawfully carrying in 36 states
Clamper:64 & 1069 | Ham:Extra | Dirtbike:Fast
Old 05-19-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
Check the local ordinances for the county and airport. For example Orange County prohibits weapons anywhere on the airport, except if broken down and prepped for travel, or with the permission of the Airport Director...

O.C.C.O 2.1.53(i)
Well ****, this is important info for me that I just learned today.
Old 05-19-2021, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post

O.C.C.O 2.1.53(i)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrifishtopher View Post
Well ****, this is important info for me that I just learned today.
Yep, good point. Although I’m sure not even the SSO or Deputies are aware of this one.

A lot of “No person can...” in that section.

But one should play it safe.

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 05-19-2021 at 1:39 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Yep, good point. Although I’m sure not even the SSO or Deputies are aware of this one.

A lot of “No person can...” in that section.

But one should play it safe.
I specifically asked the retired OC sheriff who taught my class if I can fly into OC, walk into the bathroom once I get my firearm and put it on and he said yes. So I'm guessing alot of the OC sheriffs who a) issued me my CCW and b) patrol John Wayne Airport dont know.
Old 05-20-2021, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrifishtopher View Post
I specifically asked the retired OC sheriff who taught my class if I can fly into OC, walk into the bathroom once I get my firearm and put it on and he said yes. So I'm guessing alot of the OC sheriffs who a) issued me my CCW and b) patrol John Wayne Airport dont know.
"Stall Pop!"

John 14:6
Old 05-27-2021, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default CCW OK while dropping off friends at SFO airport?

Update: I was wrong about not being able to carry on SFO property. Only sterile areas are off limits.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 05-28-2021 at 7:40 AM..
Old 05-28-2021, 8:58 PM

There are no signs prior to the sterile areas. I've carried into the terminal a couple times now. I even checked the City and County of SF rules and regs but those only apply to facilities in the city limits even though they own the airport. So GTG but that really is up to LEO and security on site (just like everywhere)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2021, 7:08 AM

Airport property is like a school gun free zone. Technically off limits to CCW.
This includes parking lots and roadways.
Has it stopped me from dropping off passengers? No.
Old 05-29-2021, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
Airport property is like a school gun free zone. Technically off limits to CCW.
This includes parking lots and roadways.
Has it stopped me from dropping off passengers? No.
I’ll have to call FUD on that. CCW holders are exempt from GFSZ as long as one stays off property and buildings but can pass through 1000ft area.

Even LAX has no restriction on their property. As with most airports across the country, can’t carry in a sterile area.

iTrader
Old 05-29-2021, 7:32 AM

Yeah-what I said…. You enter AIRPORT property when you drive onto it.
There isn’t some imaginary bubble around your person or vehicle that changes that FACT. Same for schools in CA.

Last edited by JohnCCW; 05-29-2021 at 7:33 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 05-29-2021, 7:39 AM
retired Goon

As long as the person is not in a sterile area of a CA airport, it is legal for a person with a valid CA LTC permit to carry a handgun that is listed on their permit on airport property. [PC 171.5(g)]

Penal Code 171.5
(a) For purposes of this section:
(1) “Airport” means an airport, with a secured area, that regularly serves an air carrier holding a certificate issued by the United States Secretary of Transportation.
(2) “Passenger vessel terminal” means only that portion of a harbor or port facility, as described in Section 105.105(a)(2) of Title 33 of the Code of Federal Regulations, with a secured area that regularly serves scheduled commuter or passenger operations.
(3) “Sterile area” means a portion of an airport defined in the airport security program to which access generally is controlled through the screening of persons and property, as specified in Section 1540.5 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a portion of any passenger vessel terminal to which, pursuant to the requirements set forth in Sections 105.255(a)(1), 105.255(c)(1), and 105.260(a) of Title 33 of the Code of Federal Regulations, access is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the passenger vessel terminal’s security plan and the MARSEC level in effect at the time.
(b) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess, within any sterile area of an airport or a passenger vessel terminal, any of the items listed in subdivision (c).
(c) The following items are unlawful to possess as provided in subdivision (b):
(1) Any firearm.
(2) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed, or is capable of being fixed, in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.
(3) Any box cutter or straight razor.
(4) Any metal military practice hand grenade.
(5) Any metal replica hand grenade.
(6) Any plastic replica hand grenade.
(7) Any imitation firearm as defined in Section 417.4.
(8) Any frame, receiver, barrel, or magazine of a firearm.
(9) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.
(10) Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.
(11) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.
(12) Any ammunition as defined in Section 16150.
(d) Subdivision (b) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:
(1) A duly appointed peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a retired peace officer with authorization to carry concealed weapons as described in Article 2 (commencing with Section 25450) of Chapter 2 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in California, or any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
(2) A person who has authorization to possess a weapon specified in subdivision (c), granted in writing by an airport security coordinator who is designated as specified in Section 1542.3 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, and who is responsible for the security of the airport.
(3) A person, including an employee of a licensed contract guard service, who has authorization to possess a weapon specified in subdivision (c) granted in writing by a person discharging the duties of Facility Security Officer or Company Security Officer pursuant to an approved United States Coast Guard facility security plan, and who is responsible for the security of the passenger vessel terminal.
(e) A violation of this section is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for a period not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.
(f) The provisions of this section are cumulative, and shall not be construed as restricting the application of any other law. However, an act or omission that is punishable in different ways by this and any other provision of law shall not be punished under more than one provision.
(g) Nothing in this section is intended to affect existing state or federal law regarding the transportation of firearms on airplanes in checked luggage, or the possession of the items listed in subdivision (c) in areas that are not “sterile areas.”

27 CFR 1540.5
Sterile area means a portion of an airport defined in the airport security program that provides passengers access to boarding aircraft and to which the access generally is controlled by TSA, or by an aircraft operator under part 1544 of this chapter or a foreign air carrier under part 1546 of this chapter, through the screening of persons and property.
Screening location means each site at which individuals or property are inspected for the presence of weapons, explosives, or incendiaries.
Screening function means the inspection of individuals and property for weapons, explosives, and incendiaries.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 05-29-2021 at 7:53 AM..
Old 05-29-2021, 8:29 AM

g) Nothing in this section is intended to affect existing state or federal law regarding the transportation of firearms on airplanes in checked luggage, or the possession of the items listed in subdivision (c) in areas that are not “sterile areas.”

Bingo- nailed it. You are reading too much into the “Sterile Area” BS.
Old 05-29-2021, 8:54 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
g) Nothing in this section is intended to affect existing state or federal law regarding the transportation of firearms on airplanes in checked luggage, or the possession of the items listed in subdivision (c) in areas that are not “sterile areas.”

Bingo- nailed it. You are reading too much into the “Sterile Area” BS.
Penal Code 171.5
(a) For purposes of this section:
(3) “Sterile area” means a portion of an airport defined in the airport security program to which access generally is controlled through the screening of persons and property, as specified in Section 1540.5 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or a portion of any passenger vessel terminal to which, pursuant to the requirements set forth in Sections 105.255(a)(1), 105.255(c)(1), and 105.260(a) of Title 33 of the Code of Federal Regulations, access is generally controlled in a manner consistent with the passenger vessel terminal’s security plan and the MARSEC level in effect at the time.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-31-2021, 9:07 AM

As I understand it in both of my ccw classes airport is prohibited ONLY In the secured areas. No problem carrying anywhere not secured areas.
Old 06-15-2021, 9:49 PM

Check local ordinances. For example, Orange County says no weapons at John Wayne airport (SNA), unless travelling. No exemption except by permission of Director.

Sec. 2-1-53(i)
Old 06-16-2021, 7:10 AM

SFO is in San Mateo County actually, so check accordingly
Old 06-16-2021, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmosley View Post
as long as the airport has no sign at the entrance.
lol