Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-16-2021, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Yeah, toilet bowl wax ought to do it. You can probably use it straight since it's pretty soft stuff anyway. What you want to avoid is the "hard wax" so-called bullet "lube" that you see on the "hard cast" bullets from several vendors. That hard wax so-called "lube" doesn't work, and I tumble-lube 'em all.

Here's what you can do if you only have a handful of bullets to lube. Ask for some samples of bullet lube from lsstuff.com (they ask that you pay shipping) and that ought to be enough to do your 50 or so bullets. It doesn't take a lot per bullet. One sample pack ought to do the trick, actually. I would recommend either the half carnabua/half NRA 50-50, or the straight NRA 50-50; either one is good for any handgun round up to and including full-house .357 Magnum (35,000 PSI). I know this from experience. Either one also works well in SAAMI-spec .45 Colt applications and .38 Special applications.
I thought of asking for samples, but in the end the toilet ring was only a couple of bucks and I already have it in-hand. I'll melt it down with a bit of paraffin and pan lube the bunch.

Thanks!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-16-2021, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Alrighty, then. Took the gun out to the range for some extended shooting. Same 64 pieces of brass and powder/charge, different bullet but same weight. The load shoots great, has very mild recoil, and is accurate. All targets were shot off-hand at 15 yards.

Here's the question, though.... the load is very, very sooty (see pic, below). Low pressure I'm guessing, and normally I'd try adding a grain of powder (I'm 2 grains from listed max) but the load shoots so nice I'm not sure if I should screw with it. What would you guys do?

The soot:

First 12 shots:

All 64 rounds:

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-16-2021, 5:04 PM

Bump it up a bit for next time, it might be better, it might not be. Gun powder burns, it makes soot, tumble em.
Old 06-16-2021, 5:11 PM

Now that your brass is fireformed to your chambers, just neck size it.
Old 06-16-2021, 5:14 PM

^^^this
Old 06-16-2021, 6:21 PM

^^^Or both. Bump the load up a 1/2 to 1 one gain, and neck size.

But, yeah if it shoots good just try neck sizing first to seal off that case wall sooting.

B B Man, that sooting is typical with low power colt loads.
Old 06-16-2021, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

I've already tumbled the brass, cleaned up quickly. Time to clean the gun and reload.

Old 06-16-2021, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
^^^Or both. Bump the load up a 1/2 to 1 one gain, and neck size.

But, yeah if it shoots good just try neck sizing first to seal off that case wall sooting.

B B Man, that sooting is typical with low power colt loads.
My SAAMI-spec .45 Colt load soots up, too. Happens at those lower-pressure loads. SAAMI-spec .44 Special does the same thing.

Yeah, go ahead and bump it up a grain and see how it goes. You may discover, contrary to intuition, that it shoots even nicer. I've found that out with a few loads.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 06-17-2021, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Well..... I hate to admit this in public, but I made a big mistake - and discovered why (I think) my fired cases are so sooty. Turns out, while I thought I was starting out 1gr over minimum with my charge, I was actually about 3gr UNDER the minimum charge. Why, you say? Because I thought I was looking at .45 Colt loads, when actually was looking at .45 Auto Rim loads, which were on the opposite page of where I should have been looking.

D'oh.

Luckily, the .45 Colt case is taller and bigger in diameter (same size/weight bullet), so no harm done. But lesson learned, and a teachable moment. I've literally been reloading for decades, and still made a simple, big mistake by being inattentive to what I was doing.

Old 06-18-2021, 6:03 PM

Ok. I'll bite. 45 auto-rim?

I looked in my Book of Lee (BoLee), and was amazed that I found NO listings there for cartridge or load data! WTF is this cartridge?!?! If there is a listing in the #2 BoLee, steer me to it.

Good that you "goofed" into a realm that caused you (or ur new gun) no harm!

Still state_"neck sizing" is your BEST FRIEND for straight wall pistol cartidges.

45colt is a really forgiving cartridge for reloading.
Old 06-18-2021, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ok. I'll bite. 45 auto-rim?

I looked in my Book of Lee (BoLee), and was amazed that I found NO listings there for cartridge or load data! WTF is this cartridge?!?! If there is a listing in the #2 BoLee, steer me to it.
You need older books. .45 auto-rim was made for the M1917 .45 revolver, in order to do away with moon clips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Auto_Rim

Lyman cast bullet manual, 3rd edition (I think):

Old 06-18-2021, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Dang 'boss, at least you're ok. Ohh, man, be careful now.
sofbak. Found that Auto Rim in my Lyman #50 and Hornady #8. Yikes! totally different animals.
Old 06-19-2021, 4:04 PM

Am I seeing that chart correctly? 8500 CUP max pressure?

Geeze, that doesn't even rise to the level of a bunny fart load.

Oh wait... I see max pressure around 14,900 CUP. Still low but respectable.

Look at that rim thickness too. 0.090".... that's one strange cartidge.

Last edited by sofbak; 06-19-2021 at 4:21 PM..
Old 06-19-2021, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Am I seeing that chart correctly? 8500 CUP max pressure?
On the low end. Max charge is at 14.9K for the 185gr bullet in the example. There are load charts for heavier bullets.....

Oops - missed your edit, but yeah, a pretty low pressure round.

Last edited by bigbossman; 06-19-2021 at 6:26 PM..
Old 06-19-2021, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Dang 'boss, at least you're ok. Ohh, man, be careful now.
Yeah, it was an "Oh, crap" moment when I realized what I had done. I was scanning for bullet weights, and saw the .45, but it didn't register that it was .45 Auto rim and not Colt.

I'll not make that mistake twice.

Old 06-23-2021, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Upped the charge 1 grain, took it for a spin yesterday. No pics cuz it was hot out and I wanted to go home, but the cases are still sooty. The group was much better, so either I had a good day or one more grain made a noticeable difference.

The primers are still rounded on the edges but the center is flat, so I'm probably going to stick with this load for this powder/bullet combo. I like the way it shoots - low recoil and accurate.

Old 06-23-2021, 1:00 PM

I've lost track of "this load for this powder/bullet combo."

What is it currently with latest results?
Old 06-23-2021, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've lost track of "this load for this powder/bullet combo."

What is it currently with latest results?
LOL. 8gr of ALCAN AL-5 and a 200gr SWC...... both nekkid lead and powder-coated.

8gr is still light for this bullet/powder combo, but it shoots well so I'm going to stick with it. After I finish shooting the already loaded batch, I'll start in earnest with the "neck size only" recommendation. Waiting on some new brass.

Old 06-23-2021, 2:06 PM

Be aware that neck sizing won't do much to prevent case sooting til the brass is fire-formed close to the chamber diameters. But after initial firing, it does reduce sooting.
Old 06-23-2021, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Be aware that neck sizing won't do much to prevent case sooting til the brass is fire-formed close to the chamber diameters. But after initial firing, it does reduce sooting.
I'll keep that in mind when my brass shows up, thanks.