Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-16-2021, 7:57 AM

Default Process to legally make a semiauto rimfire

I am interested in making some 10/22 receivers from billet and I am not sure I have the process right.

This is my understanding of what to do under current California law.

1. I have to apply using CFARS for a USNA. The type is "receiver only" I believe?
2. CFARS sends me back an approval and serial number(s).
3. Now I can mill my receivers.
4. Once they are produced, I have 10 days to engrave the serial numbers. Federal law says they must be at least 0.003" deep and 0.0625" high. I understand that I am not required to comply with 478.92 as I am not a "manufacturer" (Type 7), but this is encouraged.
5. Now I can upload photographs to CFARS, within 30 days of #2, to finish the process. It is unclear whether these photographs be in a fully assembled condition; is it sufficient for them to be of the receiver only?
6. Send the receivers to be anodized.
7. Finish assembly.
8. Go plinking.

Have I got it right? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2021, 8:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you only upload pictures of a finished reciever, that's how you need to keep it.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...adopt-regs.pdf

If you read the USNA rules, you will see that there is a 30 day deadline to assemble the complete firearm.

Quote:
(C) For firearms built on or after July 1, 2018, an applicant only has access to the Department-issued unique serial number for 30 days from the date of its issuance. If the applicant does not manufacture or assemble and engrave the firearm with its unique serial number within the 30 days provided by the Department, the unique serial number will become invalid and the applicant must reapply for a new unique serial number.
(D) If the applicant fails to upload the proper digital images of the firearm or does not properly apply the unique serial number to the firearm before the 30-day period expires, the applicant will have until the end of the thirtieth day to provide the correct information to the Department.
You can apply for a 2nd USNA later to make the stripped reciever into a complete firearm and submit updated pictures.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
If you only upload pictures of a finished reciever, that's how you need to keep it.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...adopt-regs.pdf

If you read the USNA rules, you will see that there is a 30 day deadline to assemble the complete firearm.

You can apply for a 2nd USNA later to make the stripped reciever into a complete firearm and submit updated pictures.
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

So I can apply for a batch of USNAs, produce half a dozen 10/22 receivers, and upload photos of the finished receivers (in the raw state). Then when I actually want to assemble one, I apply for a second USNA (probably paying the fee again?). This time I do not get a serial number, but I get 30 days to assemble the firearm and then upload new photographs for that particular rifle.

Am I right in understanding that I can refinish the finished lower receivers at any time?
Old 06-16-2021, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneoushammer View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

So I can apply for a batch of USNAs, produce half a dozen 10/22 receivers, and upload photos of the finished receivers (in the raw state). Then when I actually want to assemble one, I apply for a second USNA (probably paying the fee again?). This time I do not get a serial number, but I get 30 days to assemble the firearm and then upload new photographs for that particular rifle.

Am I right in understanding that I can refinish the finished lower receivers at any time?
You pay the fee again and get a NEW serial number to engrave and send photos back in the new 30 day period for assembly of the firearm from the previously self-made and serialized reciever.

The right way to do this is to get ALL your parts for the guns before you build the guns or at least enough parts to complete ONE of them for photography purposes.
Then get serial numbers assigned and complete the guns including engraving and assembly and submitting photos during the 30 day window.
Then take the gun back apart and do your finishing after the 30 days.
That way, you don't have to pay a second fee and engrave a second serial number.

There is no law against changing the configuration of a completed firearm after you submitted the photos.
This can include changing EVERY single part on the reciever and changing the finish on the reciever.
The USNA rules only stop you from assembling a complete firearm from your self-made stripped receiver.
That's why you do NOT want to submit pictures of a stripped receiver.

By registering complete self-made assembled firearms the first time, you are past the requirement to do a 2nd USNA.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 06-16-2021 at 12:06 PM..