Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3801  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:17 PM
dawgcasa dawgcasa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 235
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawman View Post
First time applicant:

Applied online: 1/15/21
Interview scheduled: 7/7/21

I've uploaded all of the documents but I'm holding back on the CCW class and the Livescan until we get closer to the interview time.
If your good cause statement generally meets what OCSD expects for “almost shall issue”, and your background is clean, then why would you wait on the CCW class and Livescan? If you think you have a 99.999% chance of being approved, you’re going to spend that money anyway, so just get it done. Waiting to complete those steps will just slow the whole process down. If they can move your appointment up and you don’t have everything ready, guess what, you missed your chance to move up your issue date. Think of the CCW class as a gun safety class ... its just an investment in yourself to be more confident in handling your gun.

(BTW ... I’ve been through CCW qualification/renewal five times now ... and at every CCW requalification, there’s always 1-2 people there who have NO idea of how to handle or shoot a gun, and have no business getting a CCW just for the safety of those around them)

Last edited by dawgcasa; 01-16-2021 at 6:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3802  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:28 PM
pblawman pblawman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcasa View Post
If your good cause statement generally meets what OCSD expects for “almost shall issue”, and your background is clean, then why would you wait on the CCW class and Livescan?

Good call. I don't anticipate any issues with my GC and I don't have anything in my background that would be a problem (arrest and dismissal for disorderly conduct 25 years ago). I've disclosed everything.

I signed up for the pre-CCW class, and that's when I learned that I could (and should) apply before having everything completed. I'm still evaluating where/how I want to complete my CCW training. I'm thinking I should look for an instructor who is certified in some of the surrounding states so I can get licensed there if I'm so inclined.
Reply With Quote
  #3803  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:32 PM
Mike_T Mike_T is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Irvine
Posts: 24
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawman View Post
Good call. I don't anticipate any issues with my GC and I don't have anything in my background that would be a problem (arrest and dismissal for disorderly conduct 25 years ago). I've disclosed everything.

I signed up for the pre-CCW class, and that's when I learned that I could (and should) apply before having everything completed. I'm still evaluating where/how I want to complete my CCW training. I'm thinking I should look for an instructor who is certified in some of the surrounding states so I can get licensed there if I'm so inclined.

Artemis defense institute has a free pre ccw class and also provides training with firearm qualification.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3804  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:34 PM
dawgcasa dawgcasa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 235
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawman View Post
Good call. I don't anticipate any issues with my GC and I don't have anything in my background that would be a problem (arrest and dismissal for disorderly conduct 25 years ago). I've disclosed everything.

I signed up for the pre-CCW class, and that's when I learned that I could (and should) apply before having everything completed. I'm still evaluating where/how I want to complete my CCW training. I'm thinking I should look for an instructor who is certified in some of the surrounding states so I can get licensed there if I'm so inclined.
My initial CCW training in 2012 was with FTA (Firearms Training Associates), and in the class they did all the fingerprinting and applications for non-resident CCW permits in UT, AZ, and FL. While AZ is constitutional carry, the permit covers a few scenarios like carrying on school property, within a restaurant that serves alcohol, etc., in addition to whatever reciprocity it gains you.
Reply With Quote
  #3805  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:35 PM
Mike_T Mike_T is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Irvine
Posts: 24
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcasa View Post
My initial CCW training in 2012 was with FTA (Firearms Training Associates), and in the class they did all the fingerprinting and applications for non-resident CCW permits in UT, AZ, and FL. While AZ is constitutional carry, the permit covers a few scenarios like carrying on school property, within a restaurant that serves alcohol, etc., in addition to whatever reciprocity it gains you.

Nice! Yeah I got mine for Utah and az. Still waiting on California.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3806  
Old 01-16-2021, 6:38 PM
pblawman pblawman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default CCW application - must caliber match what is in the DROS

I just got to thinking about my application. One of the guns I applied to register is a Sig Sauer P320. I purchased the XCarry 9MM. I ordered a conversion kit and now use it primarily as a compact 40 caliber (and sometimes drop a 357 barrel in). I listed the Sig with the 40 on my OC application. If they search the serial number (which I suspect they will), will the discrepancy be an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #3807  
Old 01-16-2021, 8:29 PM
socal m1 shooter's Avatar
socal m1 shooter socal m1 shooter is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 685
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawman View Post
[...]I'm thinking I should look for an instructor who is certified in some of the surrounding states so I can get licensed there if I'm so inclined.
I did the multi-state add-on at Artemis, where the class is taught by someone licensed with AZ, FL, and UT. The instructor is certified to roll prints for those states, so basically you leave the class (assuming you opt for multi-state) with fingerprint cards, certificates, needed photos, etc., for those states.

In other words, you have everything you need to drop the applications for AZ, FL, and UT in the mail when you walk out the door.

If applying to those other states, and you did not disclose that on your initial app with OCSD, I would drop them an email advising of same. I'm sure they will see some record of the background checks from the other states, since they are backlogged.
__________________
WTB magazines for H&K P2000SK (9mm) and a holster that can fit a S&W 4566/1076. Please PM if you have one or more to sell.
Reply With Quote
  #3808  
Old 01-16-2021, 8:55 PM
9Cal_OC's Avatar
9Cal_OC 9Cal_OC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2,311
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblawman View Post
I just got to thinking about my application. One of the guns I applied to register is a Sig Sauer P320. I purchased the XCarry 9MM. I ordered a conversion kit and now use it primarily as a compact 40 caliber (and sometimes drop a 357 barrel in). I listed the Sig with the 40 on my OC application. If they search the serial number (which I suspect they will), will the discrepancy be an issue?
I believe you’d have to list it twice, and qualify with both as 9mm and .40.
__________________
Freedom isn't free...

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:14 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical