Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-11-2019, 6:55 PM

Default Can we get a stickie for regular scheduled matches for Nor Cal/Bay Area and Central C

Although a number of ranges have closed, competitive shooting clubs are still going strong. Would be nice to have dedicated stickies for us that aren't in So Cal like Lincoln, Yolo, Linden, Sac Valley, Diablo Valley, Richmond and Almaden Valley

Here is a list of the ones I know of.

USPSA-Action Pistol/PCC

1st & 3rd Sunday, Richmond (small squad on Saturdays, Richmond PS req. required). http://www.richmondhotshots.com

2nd & 4th Sunday, Linden
http://www.lindencsc.com

2nd Sunday, Targetmasters at Yolo
http://www.actionpistol.org/target/

3rd Saturday, Capitol at Sac Valley
http://www.sacvalley.org/clubs/capsl/

4th Sunday, NCPS at Sac Valley

Steel Matches

Diablo Valley (22LR only at this time)
http://diabloactionpistol.com

San Leandro Rifle and Pistol
http://www.slrifle.com/activities/steel-shoot

Richmond (check the calendar, not a regular match)
http://www.richmondhotshots.com

Clubs I'm not familiar with:

Lincoln
https://lincolnrifleclub.com/get-started

El Dorado
https://www.edrgc.com/calendar.html

Last edited by brix; 01-17-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 9:19 PM

Any better news on the situation at YOLO?
Old 01-11-2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
Although a number of ranges have closed, competitive shooting clubs are still going strong. Would be nice to have dedicated stickies for us that aren't in So Cal like Lincoln, Yolo, Linden, Sac Valley, Diablo Valley, Richmond and Almaden Valley

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
I would suggest you edit this post to be a comprehensive listing and ask for updates and corrections. Im sure management will see the value and make it a stickie...

But just asking someone else to do the leg work on your suggestion is just... disappointing.

I learned in the military that a good officer never complains about something without offering a solution and if you offer a solution, volunteer to implement it. That discipline served me well there and in the private sector.

Think about it.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:20 PM

The sticky will have one word...Practiscore.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
like Lincoln, Yolo, Linden, Sac Valley, Diablo Valley, Richmond and Almaden Valley
Oakdale, El Dorado . . .

Old 01-12-2019, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
The sticky will have one word...Practiscore.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep. Was just going to suggest it.
Old 01-12-2019, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Not all competitive shooting clubs use PractiScore. They run “USPSA-style” matches, but are not listed on PractiScore.

Old 01-12-2019, 8:12 AM

Stickies are useless. Nobody usually reads em anyway. PS is used by *most* clubs that run *most* matches of every type. Simply go on PS, find the clubs you know of and click on the follow tab. Then all their matches will show up automatically on your page.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 01-12-2019, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Not all competitive shooting clubs use PractiScore. They run “USPSA-style” matches, but are not listed on PractiScore.
If they are just running “USPSA-style” matches, I'd submit that they are not that competitive as most good shooters gravitate towards USPSA matches.

Few I have seen also did not seem to have that many divisions (e.g. no Open or Limited) and relaxed rules on gear.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
If they are just running “USPSA-style” matches, I'd submit that they are not that competitive as most good shooters gravitate towards USPSA matches.

Few I have seen also did not seem to have that many divisions (e.g. no Open or Limited) and relaxed rules on gear.
If you're basing your submission on the "few [you] have seen," I'd submit that your submission is ill-informed and quite possibly erroneous. Besides, the OP is requesting a sticky listing competitive shooting clubs in Northern and Central California. He didn't express an interest in limiting the list to only include Tanks's High-Level Competition-Approved Matches. Some people just like to shoot.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 01-12-2019 at 8:49 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 8:48 AM

Given that Practiscore is free, I'd assume that if you shot a match without it, they'd be using paper scoring. And that really sucks.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Given that Practiscore is free, I'd assume that if you shot a match without it, they'd be using paper scoring. And that really sucks.
That's what Oakdale does. They like to run their matches without squads, so you just take your own scoring sheet to each stage and hand it to the RO.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 01-12-2019 at 8:54 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 9:45 AM

Any reviews regarding the "Linden Competitive Shooting Club" for an action sport beginner?

Also seems they're running a sigh-up special till January 15

How do these two compare;

Linden Competitive Shooting Club vs Oakdale Sportsman's Club

Not looking to compete, just learn and enjoy

Last edited by Friesland; 01-12-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Some clubs aren't running regular matches every month like Almaden Valley and some clubs have some ongoing updates like Diablo Valley who's running steel matches only in 22lr for now but are working to get back up to allowing regular center fire calibers.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Understood. Back in my comp shooting days, I shot plenty of small clubs before electronic scoring arrived.
But given how everyone has a smartphone nowadays and the app is free, I really don't see how a club would choose paper scoring anymore. That app has scoring for everything, official and informal.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Any reviews regarding the "Linden Competitive Shooting Club" for an action sport beginner?

Linden is a good club from what other people tell me. They are fairly new in regards to the holding matches compared to the other clubs, but I heard good things, I was actually thinking about shooting their match tomorrow but it's a little further than I want to drive this weekend. I haven't heard anything about Oakdale nor have any experience with that club.

If you take the action pistol course at Linden it will allow you to shoot matches at almost any club in the area. As far as competition or shooting matches it's really up to you what you get out of it. Everyone starts out somewhere and the approach that most shooters taken is that your really competing against yourself with each match. Some people are talented enough to compete against other high level shooters and that's great, but a good portion participate just for fun and to become more efficient with their firearms. It's a lot more challenging than just standing in front of a paper target and way more fun. The crowd at matches are really friendly and people are quick to help coach and give tips. In other words beginners are not just welcomed but encouraged.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
This is semi true. Practiscore also doesn't give a full picture of what to expect at these clubs and some clubs aren't as known. This is purely to disseminate information or ask questions for the uninitiated.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
If you're basing your submission on the "few [you] have seen," I'd submit that your submission is ill-informed and quite possibly erroneous. Besides, the OP is requesting a sticky listing competitive shooting clubs in Northern and Central California. He didn't express an interest in limiting the list to only include Tanks's High-Level Competition-Approved Matches. Some people just like to shoot.
Thanks yes my intention is to share info for those interested. If your a high level competition guy that know this stuff this thread isn't for you. My intention is to encourage more people that aren't already in the know to ask questions or get information on how to become involved.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
Stickies are useless. Nobody usually reads em anyway. PS is used by *most* clubs that run *most* matches of every type. Simply go on PS, find the clubs you know of and click on the follow tab. Then all their matches will show up automatically on your page.

Al
I read them. On a trip to SoCal I couldn't find any info on Gopher Flats, but I was able to find it here. This stickie is not for those that already have information or have years in competition shooting, this thread is for those who don't.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post

I like how Linden builds its stages; fun yet challenging. Oakdale lost its USPSA affiliation so USPSA-style only.

1st & 3rd Sunday, Richmond (small squad on Saturdays, Richmond PS req. required)
2nd & 4th Sunday, Linden

Those are the schedule of matches I frequent AFAIK.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:09 AM

Default Agreed...

I'm not big with social media, particularly Facebook.
However, I have found that a combination of Facebook, Calguns and Practiscore is what it takes to find out about most matches.

A few years ago, because I wasn't on Facebook I missed the opening signup for Golden Bullet. Lesson learned!

That said, a sticky of what ranges and clubs have regular matches would be helpful. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know!
Cw
Old 01-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...Besides, the OP is requesting a sticky listing competitive shooting clubs in Northern and Central California. He didn't express an interest in limiting the list to only include Tanks's High-Level Competition-Approved Matches. Some people just like to shoot.
I guess rather than saying "competitive shooting" he should have said "action shooting" which would cover casual matches.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM

I guess rather than saying "competitive shooting" he should have said "action shooting" which would cover casual matches.

I'm all for this,
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
People can still compete even if they're not as good as you and Ben Stoeger. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Old 01-16-2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
There more to "competitive shooting" than action shooting.
Old 01-17-2019, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
People can still compete even if they're not as good as you and Ben Stoeger. Everyone has to start somewhere.
lol, I am basically a beginner compared to most on this forum (judging from the posts), still learning, and Ben, being a World champion, is in a class by himself.

If you look at my earlier post I was saying the better shooters gravitate towards USPSA matches. One can improve shooting with and watching better shooters. Hence, my comment about shooting USPSA matches. It has helped me in the past watching better shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
There more to "competitive shooting" than action shooting.
True, though I don't think there are that many Bullseye matches around in clubs and most of the posts seem to refer to action shooting style competitions..
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
I'm not big with social media, particularly Facebook.

However, I have found that a combination of Facebook, Calguns and Practiscore is what it takes to find out about most matches.

A few years ago, because I wasn't on Facebook I missed the opening signup for Golden Bullet. Lesson learned!

That said, a sticky of what ranges and clubs have regular matches would be helpful. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know!

Cw
Tell me about it, I found out this year the requirement you needed to shoot a number of matches with a club as a member to register before it was open to everyone. I think I missed that list by one match with Yolo. (Or more I don't keep count)

Old 01-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
I like how Linden builds its stages; fun yet challenging. Oakdale lost its USPSA affiliation so USPSA-style only.

1st & 3rd Sunday, Richmond (small squad on Saturdays, Richmond PS req. required)

2nd & 4th Sunday, Linden

Those are the schedule of matches I frequent AFAIK.
Balmo if you don't mind I'll add this to my original post, and I'll add some other clubs and matches that I'm aware of.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 PM

I’m wait listed for the same reason this year... been shooting MG and steel rimfire the last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 1:31 PM

I am a member of Linden but being a member of the club is not required to shoot their USPSA matches, which are twice a month. Its a nice club, good people, fun stages (5-7 per match), electronic scorekeeping, etc. I really like that they have a real restroom available, not just portables like most places.

I shoot the fun and steel matches at Oakdale. Not a member as I refuse to support gender specific clubs by joining them. Good people at those matches though. Its paper scoring and usually not posted to Practiscore and sometimes they go fast, sometimes they go slow but open squadding means you can go to a stage that is less busy.

Richmond is big, usually has complex and creative stages for USPSA, but they also have multi-gun matches. They are a once a month for USPSA but they offer Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning options. Saturday is less busy but you often shoot the last stage in the dark in the winter. Sunday you trade daylight for more shooters. Good people there as well

Coursegold (CVSC) east of Fresno has 5 stages 1-2 times a month for USPSA. Only shot there once so far, but its a gorgeous area and they have a lot of moving targets/activator options.

CCPL in Fresno. Have not shot there yet but will be doing my first major match there in a 6-7 weeks.

Almaden near San Jose has (had?) a monthly Thursday night match.

Lincoln has USPSA and multi-gun (X3 maybe?) matches.

Sac Valley has tons of matches. Action pistol, hi-power, PRS style rifle, UML multi-gun, etc. Depends on which club you are with.

And I 5th (or is it 6th now) the use of Practiscore to find matches/clubs
Old 01-17-2019, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
...I shoot the fun and steel matches at Oakdale. Not a member as I refuse to support gender specific clubs by joining them...
Wow, I looked them up, really surprised that in this day and age a club in CA would limit the membership to males. Especially in shooting sports where it is dominated by males, one would think females would be encouraged.
Old 01-17-2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Wow, I looked them up, really surprised that in this day and age a club in CA would limit the membership to males. Especially in shooting sports where it is dominated by males, one would think females would be encouraged.
Women are encouraged to shoot their public matches and many do even with the membership restrictions. I too am a little surprised but they are an old club
Old 01-17-2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I am a member of Linden but being a member of the club is not required to shoot their USPSA matches, which are twice a month. Its a nice club, good people, fun stages (5-7 per match), electronic scorekeeping, etc. I really like that they have a real restroom available, not just portables like most places.

I shoot the fun and steel matches at Oakdale. Not a member as I refuse to support gender specific clubs by joining them. Good people at those matches though. Its paper scoring and usually not posted to Practiscore and sometimes they go fast, sometimes they go slow but open squadding means you can go to a stage that is less busy.

Richmond is big, usually has complex and creative stages for USPSA, but they also have multi-gun matches. They are a once a month for USPSA but they offer Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning options. Saturday is less busy but you often shoot the last stage in the dark in the winter. Sunday you trade daylight for more shooters. Good people there as well

Coursegold (CVSC) east of Fresno has 5 stages 1-2 times a month for USPSA. Only shot there once so far, but its a gorgeous area and they have a lot of moving targets/activator options.

CCPL in Fresno. Have not shot there yet but will be doing my first major match there in a 6-7 weeks.

Almaden near San Jose has (had?) a monthly Thursday night match.

Lincoln has USPSA and multi-gun (X3 maybe?) matches.

Sac Valley has tons of matches. Action pistol, hi-power, PRS style rifle, UML multi-gun, etc. Depends on which club you are with.

And I 5th (or is it 6th now) the use of Practiscore to find matches/clubs
Almaden Valley only shoots in the dryer months, USPSA matches from what I've seen on their FB page

Old 01-17-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I was surprised by it back in the early 90's when I first started shooting there. It was really a good ol' boys club with a trap a couple of trap fields. There were/ are several clubs that are men only in that area. The Old Fishermans club in Modesto area, a private BR club in Riverbank I think. Women were encouraged to shoot and many of the wives and girlfriends shot and supported the matches by running the snack bar and the match operations. Women weren't allowed to be members or attend meetings. The USPSA pistol section was essentially separate from the Oakdale Sportsmans club.
Old 01-17-2019, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Almaden Valley only shoots in the dryer months, USPSA matches from what I've seen on their FB page

Never heard of the place. Is it new?
Old 01-17-2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Never heard of the place. Is it new?
Sort of, they are a small club that are trying to get bigger, they came out to a match at Richmond last year inviting shooters to come down and shoot. They were working on getting recognized by the uspsa. As far as I know they currently only have matches in the summer and spring, probably due to ground conditions in the wet months.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk