Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Default Easy Duplicate Finder

Easy Duplicate Finder by webminder https://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/
Need to clean up itunes and my music folder, and photo files, somehow music folder recently doubled with lots of duplicates that itunes cant clean up... I know "dont use itunes" and after removing the duplicates, I won't use it again. I keep seeing this program, has anyone used it? is it worth ~$40
Recommendations for any other programs ?
Thanks
Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM

A "find" shell script used with the shasum executable is free to make a list of files and their checksums. You can then sort on the checksums in a text editor and delete the dupes yourself.

Automation is possible this way as well. $40 seems excessive for what is a pretty simple task.

There may also be freeware scripts out there that do the same thing. I suggest learning to use the command line, it's a very powerful, and generally overlooked, feature of most operating systems.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe this would work for you, for free. https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/fin...ate_files.html

Nirsoft is a good guy.
Old 01-11-2019, 1:37 PM

DupeGuru is also pretty common in the Linux Desktop world. It's written in cross-platform Python with a GUI:

https://codeload.github.com/arseneta...guru/zip/4.0.3
Old 01-13-2019, 5:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check them out. would be great if there was a way to check bitrates in the duplicates and delete all the low quality stuff
Old 01-13-2019, 6:30 AM

The duplicate file finder software that I use has an “audio” mode that does exactly that...kills low quality audio versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 9:56 AM

Again, if you are scripting such a task, all you would do would be to take a list of dupes and run them through "mpginfo" (or similar) to get the metadata and bitrates, sort and delete those with subpar quality.

I do believe that DupeGuru also has a music plugin.
Old 01-13-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Again, if you are scripting such a task, all you would do would be to take a list of dupes and run them through "mpginfo" (or similar) to get the metadata and bitrates, sort and delete those with subpar quality.

I do believe that DupeGuru also has a music plugin.
Yes you are right, however a vast majority of people are not very technical and don't have the knowledge or desire to work with CLI tools. Plus a tool with a GUI is much more user friendly. Also for many people time is money, and unless you can hash out a scriptlet in an hour or less, it might be more cost effective to pay $40 for an application. I know personally my time is definitely worth far more than $40/hour.

This is coming from a senior IT pro with a lot of PowerShell experience automating systems and building tools for tech teams and networks of hundreds of servers and thousands of workstations. I can do just about anything faster in PowerShell than most other admins can do in a GUI, but it's a solution that's not the best for everybody.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 7:35 PM

The whole point of this exercise is to learn. If not, then why ask the question in the first place?

Every time a question like this pops up, there are varying answers with differing levels of complexity. As some people may want to learn a new way to skin the cat or something that may be more efficient.

I don't have any problem with people paying for software, it's how I make my living as well. But, one shouldn't feel that they HAVE to pay money to do a task like this, and I'm giving them pointers on gaining that knowledge.

Some people want to do things for themselves just to save a few bucks, too. And that's why I gave a more intermediate answer with DupeGuru. It's also free, but has a slightly steeper learning curve than simply double-clicking on an installer, (which can also be found here: https://dupeguru.voltaicideas.net) as you need a python runtime and working toolchain to build it.

Believe it or not, one size does not fit all.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 01-13-2019 at 7:50 PM..