Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userformerlyknownasfitty View Post
Dang, $1000 for only a rack grade? A bit rough, but I have been wanting a surplus 1911 for just about my whole life now. Still on the fence.
Its all just rumor, wait and see what is offered and at what price.
Old 12-07-2017, 1:07 PM

This is going to be fun to watch. I can hear the whiners already. I got mine about 25 years ago. All original RR. Paid a whopping $395. I'll pass on these
Jon
Old 12-07-2017, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
This is going to be fun to watch. I can hear the whiners already. I got mine about 25 years ago. All original RR. Paid a whopping $395. I'll pass on these
Jon

Back in 1992 could buy a house for $75,000.00 in my town that now sells for $675,000.00 so I'd say you got ripped off!!
Old 12-07-2017, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Jon
I got mine for $65.00 35 years ago, and I got nothing to whine about.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Got mine for less than $200 17 years ago so no whining here. Well actually is a commercial Colt 1911 from 1919. I'm sure there are dummies that really think CMP will let the good stuff go with all the beaters they will be releasing.

Yeah I'm sure they will throw in some Singers in the ones they sell for $1000.
Old 12-07-2017, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I wonder if the Army will turn over M15s and NM 1911s as part of the overall package to the CMP?

The question I've wondered is, considering there are only 100,000 pistols left out of millions on hand at one time, did the military keep the best back or give away the better quality as military assistance and law enforcement donations in prior years?

I guess we'll soon know!
Old 12-07-2017, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Didn't some get destroyed during the Clinton era? I know during that era he gave Mexico some M1 Carbines who knows how many 1911's were given in MAP programs too.

I'm sure a lot were left with the South Vietnamese.
Old 12-09-2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Jon
I would have loved to do this but I didn't exist back then.
Old 12-10-2017, 8:03 AM

What we paid for houses and guns years ago is if no consequence. The only thing that matters is if willing buyers and sellers agree on price. That is how markets are made. CMP sells Garlands for a bit below market. Maybe they will sell Colts for a bit below market price, but in the end the market will rule. It always does.
Old 12-12-2017, 1:58 PM

Just read the latest email from the CMP regarding the 1911s and noticed something. We will need to submit a signed copy of the receiving FFl's license. Just curious, how willing are FFL's to give out signed copies of their license?
Old 12-12-2017, 2:03 PM

I havent ever had any issues with it. If your FFL wont ,just look for another one
Old 12-12-2017, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNKEY13 View Post
Just read the latest email from the CMP regarding the 1911s and noticed something. We will need to submit a signed copy of the receiving FFl's license. Just curious, how willing are FFL's to give out signed copies of their license?
From the email notice,

"a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer name attached."
Old 12-12-2017, 5:58 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

New email today (12-12-17) with slightly updated information, clarification.

CMP 1911 Information
The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified updated 12/12/2017:

CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer's name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt. CMP will price at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, 02, 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to. These are "store front" FFLs.

A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the "store front" FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.

The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.

Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.

No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales. All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.

CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.

The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.

Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.

When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.

As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grades and pricing options will be available.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one the information provided by CMP to NICS and the second the information will be provided to NICS by the FFL dealer in which the pistol is shipped.

Ordering Information: CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php
Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

2 background checks... hrm.

Seems like CMP is adding a bunch to the process in attempt to dismiss the "mail order guns" BS the progressive anti-gunners keep pedaling, but at the expense of more hoops for us.

So CMP receives pistols,
takes 5 months to grade them,
then publishes a date they will start accepting orders,
then we supply citizenship/CMP activity/marksmanship/a notarized form 2A/ and get our local FFL to send over a signed copy of his/her license,
then they wait until they get 10k orders,
then they randomize,
then (if picked) you may get to choose one of whatever is available.

This gets me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP 1911s
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales. All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.
So, no auctions???

-------
Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 AM

People ***** if you dont set limits, people ***** if you sell at stores as everyone cant get to a store, people ***** becuase they got their order in before their buddy and he got a firearm and they didnt make the cut off, people ***** because 1911's to go through a Type I FFL,
CMP tried this time to make everything as even playing field as possible and make people happy and guess what? People *****!

Its also not CMP's fault the 1911's cant go to Curio and Relics holders, call and ***** to congress
Old 12-13-2017, 1:31 PM

Well said Bill.
Jon
Old 12-13-2017, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
People ***** if you dont set limits, people ***** if you sell at stores as everyone cant get to a store, people ***** becuase they got their order in before their buddy and he got a firearm and they didnt make the cut off, people ***** because 1911's to go through a Type I FFL,
CMP tried this time to make everything as even playing field as possible and make people happy and guess what? People *****!

Its also not CMP's fault the 1911's cant go to Curio and Relics holders, call and ***** to congress
And pepole ***** about people *****ing. Now if it bothered me and I complained then it would be people *****ing about people *****ing about people *****ing.

No wouldn't that be a *****
Old 12-13-2017, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I look forward to getting one
Old 12-17-2017, 4:13 PM

So you have to be a competition shooter to buy a 1911 from CMP? I'm glad I have my 1919 Colt Black Army. I would like a Remington Rand but it isn't at the top of my list. Plenty of pistols to buy before that.

If anyone happens to have a SA Marked cz38 also known as a P39 they are willing to sell PM me. I have a SA P39 Holster that needs filling.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
So you have to be a competition shooter to buy a 1911 from CMP? .
This is incorrect, no competition in matches required
Old 12-17-2017, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is incorrect, no competition in matches required
I thought there was a requirement of "participation in a marksmanship activity". After all the M is CMP is Marksmanship. I've seen guys come just once to a Garand match to meet this requirement, shoot with a club provided rifle and ammo, and post a low score but that is all it takes to meet the "activity".
Old 12-17-2017, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
I thought there was a requirement of "participation in a marksmanship activity". After all the M is CMP is Marksmanship. I've seen guys come just once to a Garand match to meet this requirement, shoot with a club provided rifle and ammo, and post a low score but that is all it takes to meet the "activity".
That's what I was wondering what is proof. I've never sent anything for Garand other than my rifle and pistol club membership.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 4:53 PM

There are no requirement that you must participate in a match.
There are many ways to meet qualifications. Its all clearly spelled out on CMP website
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Yes you can shoot in a match but it is not required
Old 12-17-2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
There are no requirement that you must participate in a match.
There are many ways to meet qualifications. Its all clearly spelled out on CMP website
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Yes you can shoot in a match but it is not required
Thank you for the clarification. I thought it was something different for 1911. CCW Permit is one of them. My NJ Hunting License is what I originally sent in.
Old 12-17-2017, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Back in the 1980's or early 1990's they still required "Proof of participation in a shooting event" I believe it was 40 or 60 rounds, but no specific score was required to qualify.
We did a C&R shoot and the Range Master just gave each of us a letter with the confirmation of participation in the shooting event. That was all that was required then, in the DCM days you had to go to a "Garand Qualifying" match to qualify to get your "one in a lifetime" Garand from the DCM..

Last edited by aghauler; 12-17-2017 at 5:01 PM.. Reason: sp and punc
Old 12-17-2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post

I did even less than that to get a Garand last year from CMP.
Some posters on Calguns stated that CMP would accept a copy of the California FSC in lieu of actual "participation in a marksmanship activity".

I was skeptical.
I called CMP and they said "yup-send copy of fsc and that will suffice".
And it did.

But I will contact them again if I decide to order a 1911 because this is a different deal than the Garands it looks like.

Not that it would be a big deal for me to show up at a rifle match.
I did just that to cover the "marksmanship requirement" back in the 80's to order my first Garand from the DCM.

I don't remember what I score I shot-but I actually tried.
I remember the match being in the Jawbone area.
I shot it with a friends borrowed International Harvester-which was cool.
I remember the guy next to me shooting an M1 Carbine had a line drawn through his score(zero score).
I was glad that wasn't me!

But yes-there was no minimum score required supposedly to meet the requirement.

Also-for those whining about 2 background checks for the 1911s....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,but-at least for average Joes,living in this fine state that we do,for at least the last several years,CMP does a NICS check before sending the Garand to your FFL.

Then when you dros it-obviously there is another background check-including another NICS check.

So what's the big deal?

2 background checks are already par for the course with CMP.

Old 01-29-2018, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

CMP 1911 Information

Status of the CMP 1911s, 1/29/2018:

The CMP has been authorized to receive 8,000 1911 type pistols from the United States Army.

The 1911s have been received by the CMP. A complete inventory will be conducted over the course of this week. The pistols will then be securely stored until the Army-approved 1911 building and armory infrastructure is completed. That completion is anticipated to be approximately 60 days from now. Once the 1911 armory is completed, inspection, grading, repair, and ultimately test firing of the pistols will begin. (Please be aware that the CMP was led to believe that we were ready to move forward, but three weeks ago facility requirements were changed, and we are now fulfilling those requirements.)

The CMP 1911 order packet will be posted 90 days prior to the order acceptance date and opening sales date. No orders will be accepted prior to that date. Please visit www.thecmp.org, click on the Sales icon then 1911 Information, for the latest. CMP customer service has been inundated with calls and emails concerning the 1911s and no further information is available at this time.

The CMP will keep everyone posted as we move through this process.

Mark Johnson

Chief Operating Officer

Civilian Marksmanship Program

www.thecmp.org

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-29-2018, 1:49 PM

Sounds like the start of mail order is still 3-5 months away to me. When they post the order packet it will be 90 days if we can trust the timeline above. Time to make sure we all have our FFL01's lined up.
Old 01-29-2018, 5:06 PM

Maybe I missed it. Do we know the approximate age range of these 1911’s? What are the start and end years military issued the 1911?
Obviously there are existing GI 1911’s in the market. How did they get there? What/ when did it change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2018, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Specific age range? You won't know until serial number reports start coming in.
Old 01-29-2018, 7:28 PM

Here’s what I found on Wikipedia. Looks like not all would qualify as C&R.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

The M1911 is a single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.[1] It served as the standard-issue sidearm for the United States Armed Forces from 1911 to 1986. It was widely used in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The pistol's formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam War era.[1]

Old 01-29-2018, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfarm View Post
Sounds like the start of mail order is still 3-5 months away to me. When they post the order packet it will be 90 days if we can trust the timeline above. Time to make sure we all have our FFL01's lined up.
Calguns Addict

8000 guns for all who want one....about the same odds as powerball.
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
8000 guns for all who want one....about the same odds as powerball.
Reminds of the last carbine release
Old 01-29-2018, 8:08 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
Here’s what I found on Wikipedia. Looks like not all would qualify as C&R.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

The M1911 is a single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.[1] It served as the standard-issue sidearm for the United States Armed Forces from 1911 to 1986. It was widely used in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The pistol's formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam War era.[1]
Good on you for doing some internet research to find answers to your questions and bringing it back to the Forum.

Firearms that are 50 years old are generally C&R eligible. That's manufactured 1967 and earlier.

The GI 1911s that CMP is selling now were made until the end of WWII, like about 1946?, 47?. After which the US military found they had a couple million of them on hand and felt their needs were entirely met for the foreseeable future and canceled all GI 1911 contracts.

Later, firearms companies started making new ones for the civilian market. These are not part of the US Army inventory that CMP will be selling.

After submitting your 1911 order to CMP you will get an email when your randomly selected place in line comes up and you will have details about what 1911s, in what condition, and at what price are available. Then you can select and pay for one. Limit of one per year.

More details can be found here:
http://thecmp.org
And here:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php
Old 01-29-2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
They do it all the time. They can't buy from their vendors without having a signed copy on file.
Old 01-29-2018, 8:30 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Quote:

What you're going to do, see, is ask your FFL to send off their signed copy to the CMP. That's how it's done.

Have you purchased a firearm online before? It's pretty exciting, you're going to like it.
Old 01-29-2018, 8:55 PM

[QUOTE=CaliforniaLiberal;21218330]Good on you for doing some internet research to find answers to your questions and bringing it back to the Forum.

The GI 1911s that CMP is selling now were made until the end of WWII, like about 1946?, 47?. After which the US military found they had a couple million of them on hand and felt their needs were entirely met for the foreseeable future and canceled all GI 1911 contracts.

Thank you,
This was the information I was looking for.

Old 01-30-2018, 1:22 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar

Imagine all the Next Day Air packages the CMP will be getting on opening day, haha!!
Old 01-30-2018, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Imagine all the Next Day Air packages the CMP will be getting on opening day, haha!!
Probably not going to matter as they will lottery the winners anyway so still luck of the draw. Didn't work for the last round of Carbines, my order delivery was accounted for before the cutoff timeline and I still did not score a Carbine, of course I wasn't the only one that happened to.

Not going to worry about it this time maybe next year, but by then maybe I'll be selling off most of my collection anyway. Already have a mint Ithaca with provenance and a M 1927 plus several new RIA's.

Sold off all my Stars and Astras already.