Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-04-2018, 7:32 AM

Default 2019 AB 61 Ting - Gun violence restraining orders.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201920200AB61

Another bill like the one that was vetoed earlier this year - gives a significant group of people the ability to file a petition to deny gun rights to anyone they feel is a threat. At this time, there is no penalty for the person who requests it.

Last edited by Markinsac; 12-04-2018 at 8:21 AM..
Old 12-04-2018, 9:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So you file complaint because some one in the neighborhood is running a commercial business out of their garage with employees parking Monday-Friday all over the neighborhood. Next thing you know your house is being raided and your firearms are confiscated because firearms owners are now quasi-criminals. All the illegal business owner has to say is they were threatened. Pretty much the crap that landlords have to deal with deadbeat tenants.

Landlords are greedy scum so now it takes more than 6 months to evict a deadbeat.

Gun Owners are bad people, so they are targets and no longer have any rights at all, talk about a slippery slope.

Whats not to love about a law without any protections from false accusations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post

Another bill like the one that was vetoed earlier this year - gives a significant group of people the ability to file a petition to deny gun rights to anyone they feel is a threat. At this time, there is no penalty for the person who requests it.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 12-04-2018, 9:56 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

AB-2888 was the bill that was vetoed last year, which was also authored by Ting. As far as I can tell, this bill is exactly the same text.

Under current law, these people can request a GVRO:
  • an immediate family member member
  • a law enforcement officer

If this law passes, it would add:
  • an employer
  • a coworker
  • an employee of a secondary or postsecondary school that the person has attended in the last 6 months

Current law (and this bill doesn't change it) requires an affidavit made in writing and signed by the petitioner under oath, or an oral statement taken under oath pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 18155.
So, "theoretically" one could be charged with perjury if they lie when requesting a GVRO, but in practice it would likely go unpunished, as is usually the case with perjury violations (see this article, "Why is Perjury So Rarely Prosecuted?").

As a result of SB-1200 last year, GVRO's are free to request/obtain, and a court is required to hold a hearing within 21 days of a temporary GVRO being issued to see if it should become a 1-year order.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-04-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reading it, it is same bill as last year.
Old 12-04-2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
Same bill, different Governor to sign.
Old 12-04-2018, 3:31 PM

There will be a lot of recycled bills this year. They will be falling all over themselves to re-submit them, changing nothing in the originals. This is low hanging fruit and takes NO work on their part. We are royally screwed I fear.

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 12-04-2018, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

More importantly, each of these bills now becomes a placeholder in the legislative game. The authors have a bargaining chip for future favors to either amend or gut the bill to carry other issues or to hold it in committees to allow other legislation to pass through.
Old 12-04-2018, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
So you file complaint because some one in the neighborhood is running a commercial business out of their garage with employees parking Monday-Friday all over the neighborhood. Next thing you know your house is being raided and your firearms are confiscated because firearms owners are now quasi-criminals. All the illegal business owner has to say is they were threatened. Pretty much the crap that landlords have to deal with deadbeat tenants.

Landlords are greedy scum so now it takes more than 6 months to evict a deadbeat.

Gun Owners are bad people, so they are targets and no longer have any rights at all, talk about a slippery slope.

Whats not to love about a law without any protections from false accusations.
Funny you bring this up because this is EXACTLY down to the dotted "t" and crossed "i" what my wife and I are faced with right now.

You wouldn't happen to by my next door neighbor by any chance?

=8-/
Old 12-04-2018, 5:51 PM

Can someone still take a person to civil court for wrongfully using an GRSO?
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 12-04-2018, 6:56 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Can someone still take a person to civil court for wrongfully using an GRSO?
You can take someone to court for whatever you want to. The result of doing so is unknown, of course, and largely determined by who appointed the judge presiding over your case.

I would think that if you presented a good case, it would be possible in some courts to win a settlement for the costs and hassle you had to endure. But of course, as a gun owner you'll be looked down on by most CA judges.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 12-04-2018, 7:02 PM

It will undoubtedly get passed when it gets to Newscum's desk. He's probably salivating as we speak. Just have to be careful about who you let know you about your guns. Don't tell coworkers, liberal family members, teachers, employers, basically don't tell anyone.. What they don't know makes them feel "safe" in their "gun free" state.
Old 12-04-2018, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheRepublic View Post
It will undoubtedly get passed when it gets to Newscum's desk. He's probably salivating as we speak. Just have to be careful about who you let know you about your guns. Don't tell coworkers, liberal family members, teachers, employers, basically don't tell anyone.. What they don't know makes them feel "safe" in their "gun free" state.
You are the enemy. Those people will rat you out to the Man if you happen to piss them off.
Old 12-04-2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
You are the enemy. Those people will rat you out to the Man if you happen to piss them off.
You'd be surprised how fast Californian liberals turn on you when they find out you're republican. That's why I just smile and nod when they talk politics. You could be best buddies and then suddenly you're the spawn of Satan when you say you vote republican lol.

The republican party isn't perfect, but they're the best bet we have to protecting our border and our constitutional rights.

The blues just want to keep writing laws to remove what little rights that are still left in this country.

But now I'm getting off topic.
Old 12-04-2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post

So what happens when every LEO, DOJ official, prison guard, armed security, and body guard has a petition filed against them? If owning a gun is a threat then anyone carrying a gun is a threat and needs to be disarmed.
Old 12-05-2018, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
So what happens when every LEO, DOJ official, prison guard, armed security, and body guard has a petition filed against them? If owning a gun is a threat then anyone carrying a gun is a threat and needs to be disarmed.
As a retired LEO I even find that funny....get the names of all of the Capital Security officers and file a GVRO on every single one of them........

But be warned that it is a crime to file a false report against a LEO. I don't know if a GVRO would be covered under that law.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
As a retired LEO I even find that funny....get the names of all of the Capital Security officers and file a GVRO on every single one of them........

But be warned that it is a crime to file a false report against a LEO. I don't know if a GVRO would be covered under that law.
The bill doesn’t empower the general public...
Quote:
18150. (a) (1) An immediate family member member, an employer, a coworker, an employee of a secondary or postsecondary school that the person has attended in the last six months, or a law enforcement officer may file a petition....
On the plus side, it’s a petition, not a report.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The bill doesn’t empower the general public...
On the plus side, it’s a petition, not a report.
OK a pro A2 Capital employee.....

On second thought nevermind...
Old 12-05-2018, 11:06 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

I think Capitol security staff are CHP, aren't they? But I guess they all get their paychecks from the same State pocketbook. Which brings up a good point - it's interesting that "co-worker" isn't defined. If you're a contractor at a business, is anyone there your co-worker? If you are a janitor at a state courthouse in San Diego, is Newsom your co-worker? If you're a USDA produce inspector, is the POTUS your co-worker?

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-05-2018 at 11:11 AM..
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I think Capitol security staff are CHP, aren't they? But I guess they all get their paychecks from the same State pocketbook. Which brings up a good point - it's interesting that "co-worker" isn't defined. If you're a contractor at a business, is anyone there your co-worker? If you are a janitor at a state courthouse in San Diego, is Newsom your co-worker? If you're a USDA produce inspector, is the POTUS your co-worker?
Without it defined, I would assume it means anyone you share an office space with. Meaning, fired employee's could go after their bosses etc. etc. I think a contractor would fit in to this as well. I think if you work at the capitol any person that "works" there would count including the governor.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Seems to me like this bill is ripe for abuse by the State of California and every other leftist company and organization, to make it a standard operating procedure to obtain a GVRO against every terminated employee, on the grounds that "terminated employees pose an elevated risk of workplace violence," and providing a Mother Jones article as their evidence.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-05-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Calguns Addict

CHP provides facility and grounds security. They also provide personal security for Constitutional officers. The Sgts-at-Arms provide security for Legislators. A couple of years ago, one of them was involved in cocaine and a shootout.
Old 12-05-2018, 2:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think Capitol security staff are CHP, aren't they?
Yes - California State Police merged with CHP in 1995. https://www.chp.ca.gov/home/about-us...e-state-police
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-05-2018, 8:21 PM

Let's see, state capitol security personnel are paid with tax dollars - my tax dollars. That makes me their employer. Hey! I can petition away!

This is really for Newsome's safety. We all know how guns can sneak out at night and commit all sorts of "gun violence" on their very own. Best to ban them from Sacramento before one decides to "gun violence" Newsome.
Old 12-06-2018, 5:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How many of us have total pissant, worthless co-workers that would do anything to screw with us?

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 12-06-2018, 7:51 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Current law (and this bill doesn't change it) requires an affidavit made in writing and signed by the petitioner under oath, or an oral statement taken under oath pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 18155.
So, "theoretically" one could be charged with perjury if they lie when requesting a GVRO, but in practice it would likely go unpunished, as is usually the case with perjury violations (see this article, "Why is Perjury So Rarely Prosecuted?").
All of our State Legislators and other elected officials are 'under oath' to support and defend the Constitution of The United States.

How has that worked out for us? There are no consequences for failing 'under oath' these days.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM

Does an accuser need proof that someone actually owns a gun before requesting a gvro? Or can they go after non gun owners as well in an attempt to screw with people?
Old 12-06-2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendayweekend View Post
Does an accuser need proof that someone actually owns a gun before requesting a gvro? Or can they go after non gun owners as well in an attempt to screw with people?
Before Newsom leaves office, I'm sure it will be a crime to simply think about guns.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:50 PM

Newsom has dyslexia

Im sure hell sign it without reading it.
Old 12-16-2018, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander21 View Post
Newsom has dyslexia

Im sure hell sign it without reading it.

That guy will sign any gun bill that comes across his desk without reading it so long as it restricts our rights further.

This bill is scary. I will not be telling anyone I am a gun owner if this passes.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheRepublic View Post
Or the questionnaire Kaiser and other hospitals hand out to their patients when they come in for medical treatment..
Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Based on what I have seen with the Family Court in regards to a conservatorship (I got to see the whole bogus mess with family members), nothing will be done about perjury and/or false reports. The courts don't seem to want to do anything about perjury, even when there is absolute proof unless there is political motives (see Mueller). Even when it is clear that the petition is bogus, they won't do anything about it because of the claim "they meant well", even when it is clear that they didn't. Then there is the issue of having to prove your side rather than the other side to prove what they are claiming. The process can take a long time due to delays as well, it seems like any new hearing date is at least 3-4 months out. The end result seems to be having to pay a lot for lawyers and not being able to do anything about it unless the person does it multiple times. I suspect it will be exactly the same with the red flag laws. They will claim that they can't help it if it takes months instead of weeks to have the hearing and that it is in the best interest of the community. Yes, people could spend more money and sue about the time, but they would need to have money and that lawsuit will take months, so the end result is no improvement.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendayweekend View Post
Quote:
(b) A court may issue an ex parte gun violence restraining order if the petition, supported by an affidavit made in writing and signed by the petitioner under oath, or an oral statement taken pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 18155, and any additional information provided to the court shows that there is a substantial likelihood that both of the following are true:
(1) The subject of the petition poses a significant danger, in the near future, of causing personal injury to himself, herself, or another by having in his or her custody or control, owning, purchasing, possessing, or receiving a firearm as determined by considering the factors listed in Section 18155.
(2) An ex parte gun violence restraining order is necessary to prevent personal injury to the subject of the petition or another because less restrictive alternatives either have been tried and found to be ineffective, or are inadequate or inappropriate for the circumstances of the subject of the petition.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

While I truly dislike this over-reach of statute, no one has brought to the discussions what the court SHALL consider in determining whether grounds exist for the GVRO issuance. Those review requirements are laid out in detail in PC 18155.
While the court has to have a reason for issuance, one would have to work really hard or be inordinately stupid to meet the evaluation criteria.
Quote:
(b) (1) In determining whether grounds for a gun violence restraining order exist, the court shall consider all evidence of the following:
(A) A recent threat of violence or act of violence by the subject of the petition directed toward another.
(B) A recent threat of violence or act of violence by the subject of the petition directed toward himself or herself.
(C) A violation of an emergency protective order issued pursuant to Section 646.91 or Part 3 (commencing with Section 6240) of Division 10 of the Family Code that is in effect at the time the court is considering the petition.
(D) A recent violation of an unexpired protective order issued pursuant to Part 4 (commencing with Section 6300) of Division 10 of the Family Code, Section 136.2, Section 527.6 of the Code of Civil Procedure, or Section 213.5 or 15657.03 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(E) A conviction for any offense listed in Section 29805.
(F) A pattern of violent acts or violent threats within the past 12 months, including, but not limited to, threats of violence or acts of violence by the subject of the petition directed toward himself, herself, or another.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While I truly dislike this over-reach of statute, no one has brought to the discussions what the court SHALL consider in determining whether grounds exist for the GVRO issuance. Those review requirements are laid out in detail in PC 18155.
While the court has to have a reason for issuance, one would have to work really hard or be inordinately stupid to meet the evaluation criteria.
(A) is an easy one since the people submitting the petition says that the person made verbal threats. Since there isn't a requirement that there is proof, such as a recording, it is all hearsay. Get another person to "confirm" such statements, then they are good to go. It doesn't define what a real threat of violence actually is. Consider all of the liberal threats towards Trump and other Republicans and that type of thing might be good enough, especially if the person is a conservative and the judge is liberal even through the person really never intends to actually do anything.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-16-2018, 1:53 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
At the stage these shall be considered, though, there’s not an opportunity for exculpatory evidence to be presented by the accused, and no reason to believe anyone present would bring forward such evidence on the accused’s behalf. So this is just the “shall issue a GVRO” section. You’ll note it’s followed by a “may issue GVRO” section that has this doozy:

Quote:
(2) In determining whether grounds for a gun violence restraining order exist, the court may consider any other evidence of an increased risk for violence, including, but not limited to, evidence of any of the following:
(G) Evidence of recent acquisition of firearms, ammunition, or other deadly weapons.
Buying ammo is codified here as evidence of an increased risk for violence.
Old 12-16-2018, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
No it's not... you see, this one has the luxury of being "pre-approved".

Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Buying ammo is codified here as evidence of an increased risk for violence.
How is this not guilty until proven innocent?