Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-26-2018, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Bahhahhahhahahbaba. Bahahahah bahaha. I literally came back just to laugh at this ridiculous post. please for the absolute love of god stay in California. You deserve each other.
Someone’s gotta sell these guys guns. SMH
Old 03-26-2018, 4:51 PM

Giving lewdogg21 advice on hunting. That’s like David Hogg giving advice to the NRA.
Old 03-26-2018, 4:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
Giving lewdogg21 advice on hunting. That’s like David Hogg giving advice to the NRA.
Not true. Lew is always open to advice. Any good hunter should be.
Old 03-26-2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Stevee Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-26-2018, 5:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Stevee Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
That’s funny
Old 03-26-2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, should have qualified...OP giving advice to.....

You guys continue to enlighten us as to lewdogg21’s shortcomings.
Old 03-26-2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, should have qualified...OP giving advice to.....

You guys continue to enlighten us as to lewdogg21’s shortcomings.
How much time do you have? I'm going to need a lot of time.
Old 03-26-2018, 5:42 PM

See, the most hilarious thing I've seen so far is the ignorance of some of you. Since some of y'all with poor reading comprehension like making assumptions about strangers on the internet from the safety of a keyboard, please explain my life story, training, experience, time spent hunting in my life, experience in the outdoors. I'll wait...

Once again for those with poo reading comprehension, my original post implies I previously hunted a bit.

If any of you want to put assumptions and find yourself in NorCal around my locale, let me know. Otherwise let those with some actual thought out answers speak like I asked for in my original post.
Old 03-26-2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
See, the most hilarious thing I've seen so far is the ignorance of some of you. Since some of y'all with poor reading comprehension like making assumptions about strangers on the internet from the safety of a keyboard, please explain my life story, training, experience, time spent hunting in my life, experience in the outdoors. I'll wait...

Once again for those with poo reading comprehension, my original post implies I previously hunted a bit.

If any of you want to put assumptions and find yourself in NorCal around my locale, let me know. Otherwise let those with some actual thought out answers speak like I asked for in my original post.
I know it's California but I'm trying to figure out where you think people are going to "put assumptions" when they drive and meet you. That's some weird stuff you have going on there Mr "reading comprehension".
Old 03-26-2018, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

OP just end it now. There are a lot of people who like to troll on here. This thread has nothing good to come.

Quote:
I know it's California but I'm trying to figure out where you think people are going to "put there assumptions" when they drive and meet you. That's some weird stuff you have going on there Mr "reading comprehension".
"put *their* assumptions"

edit: oooooh nice you edited quick enough for it to not call you on it.

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 03-26-2018 at 6:37 PM..
Old 03-26-2018, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hummmm. I thought Lew told me that he tried to train you how to hunt but gave up after 15 minutes. I'll have to check back with him.
Old 03-26-2018, 6:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Jesus Christ I know all of this. Y'all should be happy I'm bringing myself back into hunting also supporting wildlife agencies and programs. Re-read my post, I asked a couple specific questions, this isn't a everyone throw your opinion out there thread. And please don't waste your time replying with "it's a public forum", true so feel free to start your own threads. Check my sale post I I am selling a nice guitar for a new compound bow package, thanks.
Rule #1: you don’t ask questions on Calguns.

Rule #2: you don’t ask questions on Calguns.
Old 03-26-2018, 6:53 PM

My advice is as follows.
Tere Hanges
http://www.aandmanimalcontrol.com/

http://www.sandiegoskunkremoval.com/
http://www.skunkremovallajolla.biz/
Old 03-26-2018, 6:57 PM

jmonte35 - *put assumptions to rest

Widdle - Apparently you shouldn't lmao.
Old 03-26-2018, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

A couple of problems but I am sure you will try to blame others.
1) You say if someone is in "NorCal around my locale" but no where have you put your location. Many of us put it in the top right hand part when we joined but I understand you are special and fail to do so.
2) You started with " moral dilemma" with it being a question for a "hunter" or once a "hunter" who quit and now is considering hunting again. Anyone who really hunts or is a real hunter would have no need to even give a second thought. Those that are really into hunting understand the need for it to help balance the eco-system and actually save the animals. If an animal has a monetary value it will continue to live and populations will grow. If none it is history. This is especially true where man has encroached on their habitat in spite of what the libtards, tree-huggers have to say with their feed on the emotion, jerk-knee reactions instead of facts.
3) If you were any kind of a former or present "hunter" you would not have even started this or at least worded it differently.
4) You come into this forum and say something that ANY thinking person who is a HUNTER is going to react in a negative way or worse then argue with all of them because they do not agree with your ideas/thoughts.

NOW---I am in NorCal and my town is clearly shown. It is Denair which is near Modesto if you cannot read a map. I am not going to try and explain your life story............. because I DO NOT CARE and consider you a flake....but that is just my opinion which I am entitled to just as you are to yours as pathetic as it looks like in your posts. The ball is in your court bubba.
Wonderful you"previously hunted a bit" Must have been(just my guess) a very small bit since you never really learned what hunting means and thus your "moral dilemma" that you want to fight about(in words I hope for your sake).
I will be happy to get together and compare "life story, training, experience, time spend hunting in my life, experience in the outdoors" also education, where raised, animals hunted and where, IQ, college/In degrees, firearms, scopes, bullets or cartridges(you do know the difference), loading your own ammo, working on firearms or whatever comes to you.

One more thing you have proven here. If you are not a troll you sure come off as one in much of your posts. You want to argue anything brought up including answers to you OP question. Your "reading comprehension" sucks. You do remind me of a libtard lit professor I had to take a class from in college. Insult and shout or put down anyone who has a different thought, way of thinking or point of view than you do.

I fully support your right to your opinion......even if it is just plain stupid. But you need to support the others of us with different views be it right of wrong in YOUR mind.

You are welcome to look me up. I have time since I am retired. I might even be able to teach you something IF you are opened minded enough to learn. Other than that I really could care less about you or your dilemma that a hunter never has.

You also might be smart to just let this thread die because you have done nothing good for yourself or the site so far. That is unless you just want to keep arguing with everyone who tries to answer your question or add to the thread. If you carefully go back and read the posts you will see people answered your "question" several times...........but you just want to argue.

Balls in your court BUBBA

Last edited by Divernhunter; 03-26-2018 at 7:01 PM.. Reason: corrected the spellin of may to many
Old 03-26-2018, 7:16 PM

Divernhunter -
1) Escalon, we can meet any time.
2) The term "real hunter" is relative. Yes there is an economic value attached to some animals but not all. Man did encroach on the habitats which altered ecosystems that almost became necessary to form management groups. So how about we talk about this rather than personal attacks.
3) My wording is pretty clear I asked two questions?
4) I respect everyone's opinion, UNLESS it comes in the form of personal attacks plain and simple.
Old 03-26-2018, 8:22 PM

To answer OPs original questions: No and no.

I didn't come from a hunting family. No one I knew hunted. Even coming from the south. I grew up in the 'burbs. I don't feel bad about that. We can't all be authentic 7th generation backwoodsmen. I was vegetarian for 8 years. I didn't find it a big deal. Everyone can do their own thing. I just thought factory farming was depressing.

Now? I hunt as much as I can. I eat mostly what I hunt but I like bacon and burgers as much as the next guy. I'll eat weeds and animals and organs people stick their noses up at. I still think factory farming is depressing. /shrug

IMO find your peace in the woods. This place isn't for thoughtful conversation.
Old 03-26-2018, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I will be in Oakdale Tues helping with a CCW class. About 5PM. Or Sat at 9AM. Stop by. Or I do shoot at the Escalon club maybe Sun if I go shoot.
You got answers to your questions but they were not the ones you wanted so you argue.
It is ok for you to give personal attacks by your mindset. Some of the attacks were just answering your questions but you cannot see that. My comments are what I took from all of what you have posted. You can call them a personal attack if you like. I just call it as I see it and let the chips fall.

I really cannot see any value of trying to talk with you about eco-systems or even much else. No one will change your mind on anything judging by what you have shown here.

PM me your phone number/name and I will call you when I get over near you since you cannot make it over this way. I personally do not care about you in any way but you are the one pushing things with all others. This is fun. Somehow I do not believe you are open to others or facts so it would be a waste anyones time to deal with you. If you think I am afraid of you or anything else then you are mistaken. The ball is in your court again bubba
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drutledge79 View Post
To answer OPs original questions: No and no.

I didn't come from a hunting family. No one I knew hunted. Even coming from the south. I grew up in the 'burbs. I don't feel bad about that. We can't all be authentic 7th generation backwoodsmen. I was vegetarian for 8 years. I didn't find it a big deal. Everyone can do their own thing. I just thought factory farming was depressing.

Now? I hunt as much as I can. I eat mostly what I hunt but I like bacon and burgers as much as the next guy. I'll eat weeds and animals and organs people stick their noses up at. I still think factory farming is depressing. /shrug

IMO find your peace in the woods. This place isn't for thoughtful conversation.
Thank you for sharing. Our values and outlook change just as the next person. I'm in the same boat about factory farming, I personally find it hypocritical to myself to eat factory farmed meat over hunting. I still think meat is crucial to our diets.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
I will be in Oakdale Tues helping with a CCW class. About 5PM. Or Sat at 9AM. Stop by. Or I do shoot at the Escalon club maybe Sun if I go shoot.
You got answers to your questions but they were not the ones you wanted so you argue.
It is ok for you to give personal attacks by your mindset. Some of the attacks were just answering your questions but you cannot see that. My comments are what I took from all of what you have posted. You can call them a personal attack if you like. I just call it as I see it and let the chips fall.

I really cannot see any value of trying to talk with you about eco-systems or even much else. No one will change your mind on anything judging by what you have shown here.

PM me your phone number/name and I will call you when I get over near you since you cannot make it over this way. I personally do not care about you in any way but you are the one pushing things with all others. This is fun. Somehow I do not believe you are open to others or facts so it would be a waste anyones time to deal with you. If you think I am afraid of you or anything else then you are mistaken. The ball is in your court again bubba
The responses I replied to were personal attacks, including your personal attacks against me saying my opinion is stupid. Real mature for a retiree. Respect for respect. I'll PM my number to you if I decide your worth my time.

Know your enemies before you go to war with them...
Old 03-27-2018, 12:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Yep. All mouth and nothing else.
34 posts and most just to argue and attack others.
Do everyone including yourself a favor and just go away.
Respect for respect and now you know why no one here has any for you.
Just go back to your safe space.
It has been fun pushing your buttons.

Last edited by Divernhunter; 03-27-2018 at 12:58 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Widdle - Apparently you shouldn't lmao.
Yeah, I think one time my husband asked if anybody had a recipe for some 8 Mauser Mexican match. Lesson learned, lol.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Yep. All mouth and nothing else.
34 posts and most just to argue and attack others.
Do everyone including yourself a favor and just go away.
Respect for respect and now you know why no one here has any for you.
Just go back to your safe space.
It has been fun pushing your buttons.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Apparently, according to Divernhunter who wants to play the internet badass man child, I can't even defend myself from condescending remarks in my own thread. I'm not all mouth, your not very high on my priority list, your actually not even on it. I can bring problems straight to your doorstep, stop playing the hero. I don't want to make bad decisions. You seem to have intertwined your identity to these forums.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Get rid of your morals, your dilemma problem is gone.
Old 03-27-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdle View Post
Yeah, I think one time my husband asked if anybody had a recipe for some 8 Mauser Mexican match. Lesson learned, lol.
Geez I still don't get it . It's not hard to be respectful, unless, you ask a question here lmao
Old 03-27-2018, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

Well some have it inside them, or don't and find it, or do and lose it, and some never have it.
Old 03-27-2018, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Get rid of your morals, your dilemma problem is gone.
Easier said then done.
Old 03-27-2018, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
Well some have it inside them, or don't and find it, or do and lose it, and some never have it.
I like this wording.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

How about just raise some stock yourself? Skip hunting and the 'factory' meat (have you seen how veggies are raised?) - our steer now rests in the freezer and he is deliciously raised with love, free range, pasture fed.

Turkey, chicken, duck and guinea fowl all practically raise themselves and provide eggs along the way. Win-win no matter how you look at it.

While you're at it build a family compound and get back to rural extended family living and help rebuild a real stable country. Urban living is killing all that is good on this earth. Maybe you already are - if not why not? There's a morality question for you.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 03-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
How about just raise some stock yourself? Skip hunting and the 'factory' meat (have you seen how veggies are raised?) - our steer now rests in the freezer and he is deliciously raised with love, free range, pasture fed.

Turkey, chicken, duck and guinea fowl all practically raise themselves and provide eggs along the way. Win-win no matter how you look at it.

While you're at it build a family compound and get back to rural extended family living and help rebuild a real stable country. Urban living is killing all that is good on this earth. Maybe you already are - if not why not? There's a morality question for you.
Hey thanks for your input, that's actually not a bad alternative at all. I really do enjoy how immersed you have to be and in tune with your senses and the environment when hunting or being outdoors in general.

I do want property in the future with some sustaining food sources like what you have mentioned. Even a little fish farm, and a small plot for produce/herbs.

It's funny that you had mentioned a family compound, my uncle was talking about building small plots on land for family to come whenever they pleased. Family values are sure on the decline these days.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Just so you know hunting is highly regulated by biologists who set limits on animals and carefully monitor herd size and take. Since humans have effected the ecosystem so much (housing tracts, malls, highways, crops, farming, factories, mining etc...) hunting is a literal need to ensure healthy animal herds.

I would also argue that veganism actually kills quite a bit of animals. Ive heard accounts of thousands of frogs being killed when they harvest rice. Literally every crop kills animals through the use of pesticide, harvesting or displacement. I may get 200lbs of meat from a large elk and I know it was killed much quicker than it would have dying from natural causes.
Your post must have got lost within some of the bashing. But yes, I agree with much of what you have said. We impacted the natural way of things so much with population growth. I feel hunting is almost a necessity built into our societies fabric. Although I did read somewhere that herd numbers are regulated in order to support sport hunting, almost a hunters bias? Don't quote me quite yet.

I am not against hunting, I am actually wanting to get back into hunting because that is what I feel is most fair for me as a human and my meat consumption.

Now another big question is whether to hunt with strictly bow? I feel it is the most fair but also the biggest chance to leave an animal wounded, which comes down to knowing how to accurately use your tool and making correct shots at the right time. Thoughts?
Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Good luck with all that...
No need to wish me luck, I've gotten this far without your wishes.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
No and no.

As far opinions, an answer to your question begs a statement on other matters pertaining to your question.

I am with the others who say you probably shouldn't be hunting. If you are having a moral dilemma before you jump back into the hunt, then you need to find a way to get your head straight. Especially, if you are going the bowhunting route.
I only ask that people respond politely and I would have no issue replying to a statement or clarifying something for someone. I'll never take any form of disrespect from anyone.

And I agree that my values need to be more aligned first, I definitely do not plan on going on a hunt again until I do. What I can tell you is that I most likely will enter back into hunting, I am being drawn back into it. My values have changed a bit over the years but its just means I have to take a calmer, thoughtful approach to make sure my values are more aligned.

I hope this helps clarify some things.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
I would consider it immoral if the meat was wasted. So long as the animal is used, i do consider it moral.
Agreed, I do like hearing about some of these programs in place where dispatched game in urban areas are harvested and given to homeless shelters, a widespread homeless program with donated game would be really cool.

Last edited by Unspoken; 03-27-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
I’m gonna go out in a limb and guess the OP is someone in his/her mid twenties and might have hunted as a kid but then went off to college and got brainwashed with all the enviro-hysteria, which is contributing to his “moral dilemma”.

Forgive me if I’m way off base but I have kids in your situation (if I’m correct or close to it). A lot of young people nowadays are very conflicted about consumptive use of animal resources.

On one hand they are told to love and respect nature and they are told that modern food production (especially meat) is evil. On the other hand they learn that hunting is somehow evil and at odds with “true respect for nature” (Sierra club, Yves Chouinard, etc)

In reality, these values all fit perfectly with hunting, but there are a lot of other elements to hunting that us “old guys” enjoy that is what another poster called “love to hunt”. There’s no moral or ethical reason or justification for hunting; we just love doing it. This is foreign to many young people now, unfortunately. They think of it as a moral or “righteous” choice because so much of being young now is about “virtue signaling”. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

The good news is that some young people, even after college brainwashing and enviro-hysteria come to the conclusion on their own that hunting is an “honorable” and environmentally responsible way to supply meat. I think that might be the case here.

If it is the case for the OP, we should applaud it, and even embrace it. With the dwindling numbers of hunters in this country, we need recruits. Even if they don’t come at it from the same sort of mystical “love” of hunting that many of the posters to this thread have.

To the OP, as you are seeing, most hunters don’t rationalize hunting the way you are trying to do, and so the idea is pretty foreign to us. This is why your question is being met with some derision and negativity. It’s a bit like asking a fish why it swims or why a shark eats seals - they just do. And they love doing it, but don’t think much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for sticking up for me a bit, it probably helps that you have family who are probably have similar outlooks as mine and can relate a bit more. I can't hold that against anyone else.

You are pretty close, college did have a huge impact on me as I learned how more interrelated everything truly is. I wouldn't say there was any brainwashing (not talking about how information is presented or selected to be in textbooks, we would need a new thread lol), but more confusion. When I was younger it was simply, human and animal, while still acknowledging the animal as a being. Its more complicated now. If anything, I brainwashed my self in a few philosophy courses I have taken, or threw myself into existential crisis a few times

And aside from other aspects of hunting or being outdoors in general, I do feel that it is more honorable for the animal and environment if I hunted game myself and am willing to go meatless if I do not fill tags.

Also, I totally get that there is a love for hunting with some of the older hunters, you can see it and hear it. For some it may be something that was a larger part of their upbringing, for some it might getting more in tune with your primal tendencies so to speak, for others it might be a way of spending time with your loved ones, or even tradition. For me, it is aligning my values I have learned and experienced over time, with hunting.

Hunting skipped a generation in my family and there were lots of values I have had to learn on my own so it wasn't tradition with me. I developed a love so to speak on my first hunting trip for duck and quail with a couple friends and 4-H leader, and had a damn good dinner aside from picking bb's out of my quails. Or even hiking in, I think it was somewhere in D zone all day in full camo, 100 degree +, backpack, and shotgun calling turkeys. It was grueling, I didn't get a Tom, but I had fun as hell just simply being out there. So maybe some of us could relate on that.

Thank you for an open-minded answer
Old 03-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Git busy huntin or git busy with whatever the hell you do when not huntin.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCity67 View Post
Git busy huntin or git busy with whatever the hell you do when not huntin.
More likely than not I'll be back out there! Just lookin for those who have faced similar thoughts.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Unspoken................Let it go! Seriously.....let it go!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
Unspoken................Let it go! Seriously.....let it go!
There is no reason I have to let anything go in a thread that I started. I am not going anywhere, and am damn sure not getting censored by other members because they didn't like how I replied to sarcastic and condescending statements. I'm here for the long haul. See you on the forums.

Last edited by Unspoken; 03-27-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 12:01 PM

If anyone actually wants to help support me getting back into hunting please take a look at my ad for a compound package trade.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1435567