Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-07-2019, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Burris MTAC 1-4x24 IR Scope says it is "Compatible with Night Vision Technology"?

I am a NV noob. Potential legality issues in CA aside...

Explain to me please what Burris means when they say that the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 scope is "Compatible with Night Vision Technology"?

How would that work exactly?

Do they mean you can use a Clip-ON NVG device in front of it? You can do that with any scope right?

Are the "off clicks" in-between" each brightness setting really low NV safe settings? Because the bright reticle would be bad for NVG devices if you could get one behind it...which brings me to me next point.

It would be pretty hard to aim down it wearing NVGs on a bump helmet. So you'd probably be depending on an IR laser rather than looking down the scope? Right?

Help me understand how this would work with this particular scope please.

If this thing will actually work great with NV it might be something I want to hang onto rather than sell. I am just having a failure of imagination here. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Explain to me please what Burris means when they say that the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 scope is "Compatible with Night Vision Technology"?
That means it has an illuminated reticle with at least one super dim brightness setting.

Quote:
Do they mean you can use a Clip-ON NVG device in front of it?
No, goggles will not strap to the front of the scope. Usually a monocular is attached to the rail behind the scope so that they are in line.

Quote:
You can do that with any scope right?
Yes, non-illuminated, etched reticles are visible with night vision. However, they are not always easy to see and compatible reticle illumination is definitely nice to have.

Quote:
Are the "off clicks" in-between" each brightness setting really low NV safe settings? Because the bright reticle would be bad for NVG devices if you could get one behind it...which brings me to me next point.
I don't own this scope myself, so I don't know for sure if the settings are "safe." A cheap NVD with no gating could get fryed, or end up with a reticle image burned into it. An expensive gated NVD will auto adjust itself to protect it from brightness. But that makes it too dark to see anything if it's just gating from your reticle.

Quote:
It would be pretty hard to aim down it wearing NVGs on a bump helmet. So you'd probably be depending on an IR laser rather than looking down the scope? Right?
Yup. For active NV situations the IR laser is king. The only reason to have an optic that is compatible with NVDs is for passive situations where you don't want to be emitting anything.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2019, 2:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks. Don't have the NV Monolcular...yet. So I can't test out the scope settings.

Just hard to picture trying to aim down this thing with a helmet mounted setup. It would have to be mounted way forward for something to go behind it. Then I would worry about eye relief. I am guessing the low setting would be just so nothing is bouncing back at you that would damage old school nvgs. But If there is that low setting, the only place I could imagine it would be is during the "off" stop clicks. In between each brightness setting there is a "stop" or what I thought was an off setting where the reticle goes dark. Possible it is actually a NV setting.

I am used to my Aimpoint T1 with a series of non-visible to the naked eye settings right in the beginning. Makes it really clear where the IR settings are at...and that they are for NV.

I know they make clip-on NV monocular that are designed for going in front of a scope. Bolt onto your forend. But the whole "attachment device" thing here in California is problematic. I know, I said legal stuff aside. Don't want to open that Pandora's Box.