Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-24-2019, 8:47 PM

4 x 16 x50 eliminator 3 Burris,check out on Opticsplanet 619-929-1857
Old 07-24-2019, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

I took was in same shoes as op , but after it of reading , I decided to with used gen 1 razor 5-20 vs athlon , gen 2 pst . I'm happy with the scope . but its not like I was able to compare . what's done is done is so . hope you are happy with your decision
Old 08-03-2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Nikon Black FFP or a Vortex Viper PST GEN 2. Either one will work and preform for what you need. I think the Vortex does just edge out the Nikon.

Now if you want end all durability, get a Nightforce. They have a model for about $1200.

If your just shooting paper and steel on your own time and not doing comps where you have to make on the fly calls and adjustments, a second focal plane will work just fine. But once you go to a first focal plane, you really start to see all the benefits.
Another vote for the Vortez Viper PST Gen 2. My brother has one and really likes it. A friend of ours who used to be in the military & is a very accurate shooter used it and found it to have great glass. Obviously I like them, too. Am saving up to get one; am debating between it and a Meopta Optika 6 (which I have never used, only read about them).
Old 08-03-2019, 2:42 PM

Default Best long range scope for ~$1000ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdc View Post
I always recommend SWFA.
https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflesco...rand=SWFA%20SS
They are extremely hard to beat in build quality and value, especially for the cost. It's also nearly impossibly to find dissatisfied customers (problem if you're hoping for a used scope discount). Lifetime warranty and they are rated to 50bmg (at least the fixed magnification scopes). Here's the amazing scope that put them on the map (and honestly you couldn't go wrong with this either, though if you have budgeted 1k, use it on glass):
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-t....html?___SID=U

For long range applications, if you're hoping to drop less than 1000, the SS HD 10x42 model has a lot of good feedback.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x4....html?___SID=U
If you can raise your budget to 1300, the SS HD 5-20X50 is REALLY nice.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20....html?___SID=U
Many have compared quality to $2000 range scopes. I'm hoping to get one in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update, got a demo model from SWFA on eBay for about $950. I think you can get them for $900 if you're patient. Put it on my Howa HCR 6.5 Creedmoor. It's AMAZING what you can see with HD glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 08-03-2019 at 3:17 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Natchez has the Burris XTR II 5-25 with a boring reticle for $565, normally $1199. I think XTR II's will be getting cheaper because the XTR III is out. Vey good scope, 34mm tube, etc.
Old 08-25-2019, 8:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Am I the only one that is contemplating writing this number "for a good time, call..." on a bathroom wall?
867-5309iahhhine...

Athlon ARES BTR 4.5-2x50 mil-mil are half price now. Combined with Wane 20 MOA 1-piece rings... Iím so tempted.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 09-24-2019, 5:47 PM

My brother has a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2; he loves it. I have used it, too, and really like the glass. We both took out to 600 yards, which did not challenge the glass at all. I have also read great things about the MeOpta Optika 6 5-30x56 and the Athlon Ares ETR; from those who have them, they seem quite pleased with them.
Old 09-26-2019, 5:27 AM

Thumbs up Nightforce 5.5 X 22 X 56

I went to Yuma Arizona last year to sight in my new build Rem. 700 in 6.5 X 55 swede. We used an SR 200 target out to 1,000 yards. At 1,000 yards the SR 200 looks like it is 300 yards away. I was hitting 10's and X's at all positions. These are a little pricey but well worth the money. I have 5 of them
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne
Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 AM

For those of you looking for a Vortex Viper, and you are a Veteran, go to

https://www.experticity.com/home/tab/feed

You have to jump thru a few hoops (not too bad) but the prices are better than anywhere else. They handle Vortex’s Veteran program. They also have other brands of outdoor gear. Btw, I’m not affiliated with them in anyway, but I do like saving $$$