Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Trijicon RMR Type 2 Manufacturing Flaw?

Just want to check in with you guys, if you have a similar flaw on your RMR type 2's? I seem to have a gap that allows light in a form of "L" shape on the upper right hand corner as shown in the pictures attached.

I tried to contact Trijicon directly and here is their reply:

"Good morning and thank you for your inquiry. It is a process that the new type 2 lens installation because it is glued twice and they do leave a gap between the housing and the corner of the lens.

If you are concerned that it might be an issue, you can send in the optic for an in house quality inspection. Photos tend to not provide enough for us to make 100% determinations.

To send in the optic please first submit a return authorization HERE."

Is this normal or existing for all RMR's out there? I know that this is only minor but it can be quite irritating in certain lighting conditions. I just feel for a premium priced item, these imperfections should not be present.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1559.jpg (80.6 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3342.jpg (44.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3343.jpg (63.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 3:14 PM

Design feature for the new type 2’s, helps protect the lens from impact. The corner of the owl ear absorbs all the shock. Also helps with drainage. This is 100% normal and is not a flaw.
Old 07-17-2019, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

What about all the other light that surrounds the holo?
You’re spending wayyy too much time looking around the window.

This is nit picking without a doubt.

You should really just delete this post and just post more pictures of your firearms. Wait a minute...... Change it up and post some pics of you just shooting.

You do actually shoot?
Old 07-18-2019, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post

You should really just delete this post and just post more pictures of your firearms. Wait a minute...... Change it up and post some pics of you just shooting.

You do actually shoot?

What’s with the snark? This is a legitimate question. If there is a gap that allows light to pass through, maybe it will pass water also. Which is a manufacturing defect. Not saying this is the case but the OP has a right to raise the issue. I have a number of Type 1 and 2 RMRs and don’t see this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

I think if you pay $400-$600 for one optic and it doesn't even come with a lense cover or battery pcb compartment cover or mount... you can ask if the distracting apparent defect is actually on-purpose as-designed. Maybe they hate you like H&K. I mean, I love H&K even though they hate me. I don't love Trij, but they mostly work. I actually own four Trij sights and a lot of the irons.

Last edited by crufflers; 07-18-2019 at 9:56 AM..
Old 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P View Post

You do actually shoot?
Woke up on a wrong side of bed, sir?

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.
Old 07-22-2019, 8:16 AM

Just an update. Have my RMA setup for a replacement. They also placed a note on my case to make sure there are no glue bubbles on the new optic, although they say that the bubbles are normal. IMO, for the price paid for such an accessory, there shouldn't be any flaws from the get go.
Old 07-25-2019, 6:54 AM

I have the same issue, I contacted Trijicon and they stated; Thank you for the photos. Everything about your Trijicon RMR® meets or exceeds our specifications.
Old 07-25-2019, 6:56 AM

Default Trijicon RMR Type 2

forging issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1773.jpg (84.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86frankiej View Post
I have the same issue, I contacted Trijicon and they stated; Thank you for the photos. Everything about your Trijicon RMR® meets or exceeds our specifications.
As for me, the rep who I was exchanging emails with stated that this common but not to all RMR's and advised to ship in for exchange. He then provided a RMA and shipping label. I told him to place notes in the system to replace not repair. He even mentioned that "they would even have to make one" for me. Probably BS.
Old 07-25-2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86frankiej View Post
forging issues.
What are you trying to show? Bubble on glue around the lens?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Just an update.. I requested for a replacement but they installed new lens instead. I'll provide another update upon receiving the unit back. Here is the message received:

We have repaired your RMR. All of our optics are built to be repaired and when they are repaired, all new parts are used. A UV glue is seeped in areas under the lens and the lens slides in to set parallax. I was in quality here for 8 years and there are standards for glue coverage and allowable bubbles. Now, I did not personally see yours when it came in, however, the technician has replaced the lens and gone above and beyond with the glue on your repaired optic. I have attached a photo of your repaired RMR beside one fresh off the assembly line, yours has complete coverage and passes all quality and functionality standards here at Trijicon. Thank you. If you have further questions or concerns please feel free to contact out Technical Support team M-F 8am-5pm 1.800.338.0563 ext.1552

Have a wonderful weekend sir,
Old 08-02-2019, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
the technician has replaced the lens and gone above and beyond with the glue on your repaired optic. I have attached a photo of your repaired RMR beside one fresh off the assembly line, yours has complete coverage and passes all quality and functionality standards here at Trijicon.
It definitely doesn't sound like they hate you. To be fair, I have never noticed any glass defects on my 06's... only issue is when they lose power if I shoot the gun they are on, hahahah. That's not an issue on Glocks or with a new seal plate that pushes the battery up, so no big deal they tell me. Pretty sure Trij isn't perfect though.

So far no issues with a HS507C on my Q5 slide... looks kind of wonky though IMHO (shape and the solar panels)... not as tactical for the indoor range as an RMR. Has those three sweet reticles. Function over form I guess. The extra RMR will eventually go on another Glock slide... maybe a 17L.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM

they have a lot of issues, but Trijicon still consider acceptable.
Old 08-05-2019, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

No argument here... I have a lot of red dots on range toys and the Glocks have RMR's... not the best value, but they look good and are tough. I just think it is hilarious when people try to say they are perfect. Opinions vary... I'm sure there are lots of people who don't like Aimpoint.

Funny thing about the new SRO is that it doesn't look good and it is not tough.
Old 08-06-2019, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

I’m sure Ducatiti will find issues with the repair because he is a perfectionist. He asked specifically that the RMR be replaced and not repaired. Don’t feel bad because Leupold also will repair instead of replace if something is not right with their Delta Point Pro. I ended up selling it and sticking with my cheap Burris Fastfire 3’s.

I am just so surprised that he seems to find flaws in everything that he buys. Are we all just not as observant or detailed as he is? I understand he is buying quality parts and such should be near perfect but the bad luck just seem to keep following him.
Old 08-10-2019, 7:40 PM

Received the replacement RMR.. Glass is crystal clear now with no gaps or "L" shaped gap on the upper right hand corner..

Before:

Now...

Last edited by ducatiti; 08-11-2019 at 7:19 PM..