Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-04-2018, 4:19 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

I live in the Bay Area, and see deals in Northern and Southern CA
hundreds of miles away; the market is not the issue, it's logistics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 12-04-2018, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Firestars are nice pistols, when I was in CA I picked up a 45 for $330. I saw 40 Firestars in consignment cases below $300. Parts are still available.
Old 12-04-2018, 6:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

Buyer’s market, you can score a few deals.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 AM

SPENDING on ammo, but i do make offers . just got a Star Firestar plus at a FAIR price came w/5 mags .. Something good always comes up .. My wife will find something cool under the tree
Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Seems like a lot of people post guns they dont really want to sell unless they get an offer they cant refuse. Those guns can sit for months. This is probably close to 80% of sellers.

The people that are really motivated to sell usually set the price a little bit less than what you would see in a consignment case.

I price used private party guns like this: if It were my gun and I walked into any gunstore asking to sell it, they would probably offer me half or less than half of what it sells for new. So I offer a couple twentys more than half what the gun went for new. Thats if Im feeling generous.

OP's prices are simply uncompetitive. Drop each price by $200 and you might see some action.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 12-05-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
This^^^

Calgun market place is the only one I have seen where a seller boldly advertises a used gun for the price of a new one plus some profit.

Colt NM is available at stores for around $1350 give or take a little. There are several in the market place asking $2000 and higher. Go figure.
So true...

I gave up buying guns on here. I stick to looking at accessories but even those are too high most of the time. I saw a Sig Romeo 5 recently and it was used, still being listed as more than a new one on sale at PSA...
Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
So true...

I gave up buying guns on here. I stick to looking at accessories but even those are too high most of the time. I saw a Sig Romeo 5 recently and it was used, still being listed as more than a new one on sale at PSA...
Seems like most of the people selling their guns and accessories way overpaid for them. And so they are trying to get back as much as they can when they try to sell but its still totally unrealistic. Also if you bought something new for a really good deal, you might not want to sell it since it was such a great deal when you acquired it. So it might mean that most of the items that end up in the marketplace are items where the seller initially overpaid and now they are looking for another sucker to bail them out.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is just another way for the OP to get people to look at his for sale thread. We all know that any firearm will move fast if priced right.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
OP's prices are simply uncompetitive.
Drop each price by $200 and you might see some action.
Yep.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethouse View Post
Thanks for your thoughts guys/gals.

For the record, my observations are not based on my own pieces for sale. I acknowledge mine are not "deals", but they are in the ballpark for a sincere buyer to inquire or perhaps even make an offer. List price alone isn't the singular decision factor, so is location, availability, ammo break-in costs, tax consideration, bargaining, side sweetners, etc. I watch the marketplace very frequently and my purchasing experience here is far beyond my iTrader rating.

I think this discussion is a valid one because I don't see that our Calif 2A community is really growing; and our members are constantly under increasing financial, societal, regulatory and legal assault.

Thanks again
I have to say I've never heard of premium for ammo break in costs before.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 12-05-2018, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For the record, my observations are not based on my own pieces for sale.
I acknowledge mine are not "deals", but they are in the ballpark for a sincere buyer to inquire or perhaps even make an offer.
List price alone isn't the singular decision factor, so is location, availability, ammo break-in costs, tax consideration, bargaining, side sweetners, etc.
Good luck collecting on the costs you incurred like sales tax, ammo, gas to the gun store twice, gas to the range dozens of times when re-selling a gun...
Old 12-05-2018, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
I have to say I've never heard of premium for ammo break in costs before.
Yeah, he did you a favor, now pay up.

Thats like buying the first guy who slept with your wife a beer for breaking her in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-05-2018, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Good luck collecting on the costs you incurred like sales tax, ammo, gas to the gun store twice, gas to the range dozens of times when re-selling a gun...
And “bargaining”.

So when i negotiate with him, i have to pay for his negotiation time?

Wow.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-05-2018, 1:07 PM

"This is just another way for the OP to get people to look at his for sale thread. "

It's accusatory and cynical statements like the one above that I think keeps lots of frank discussions off this site, and perpetuates negative experiences and impressions from participating here.
Old 12-05-2018, 1:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
"This is just another way for the OP to get people to look at his for sale thread. "

It's accusatory and cynical statements like the one above that I think keeps lots of frank discussions off this site, and perpetuates negative experiences and impressions from participating here.
And people generally react negatively to on the nose criticism, dont they....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-05-2018, 1:18 PM

Amazing, the small minded thinking that posts here sometimes
Old 12-05-2018, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Yeah, he did you a favor, now pay up.

Thats like buying the first guy who slept with your wife a beer for breaking her in.

Well said.

That is so funny.
Old 12-05-2018, 1:31 PM
Banned

Quote:

For the record, my observations are not based on my own pieces for sale. I acknowledge mine are not "deals", but they are in the ballpark for a sincere buyer to inquire or perhaps even make an offer. List price alone isn't the singular decision factor, so is location, availability, ammo break-in costs, tax consideration, bargaining, side sweetners, etc. I watch the marketplace very frequently and my purchasing experience here is far beyond my iTrader rating.

I think this discussion is a valid one because I don't see that our Calif 2A community is really growing; and our members are constantly under increasing financial, societal, regulatory and legal assault.

Thanks again
Tax consideration or factoring in tax to used firearm shouldn't even apply between private party transfers unless you're selling from a brick/mortar store that gives receipts and accepts returns. (That new proposition or proposed law that requires firearm purchasers to pay extra taxes, I can see who may support this....)
Ammo break-ins? Used is used no matter what you call it, how to prove or affirm that someone who breaks-in a weapon did it correctly according to gun manufacturing/industry standards or if just shot many rounds to just to call it ammo break-in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
Being honest, OP.. Your Glock and SP-01 are overpriced, 1911s are fair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Your prices aren't very good. I've seen SP-01s in mint condition with cocobolo grips and extra mags go for less than $550.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
OP's prices are simply uncompetitive. Drop each price by $200 and you might see some action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
This is just another way for the OP to get people to look at his for sale thread. We all know that any firearm will move fast if priced right.
This, obviously.

When my LGS (and I'm sure mine is not the only one) is advertising brand-new SP-01s for $569, your $700 price looks ridiculous. I looked at your ad and as soon as I saw $700 I was gone. Now, every time I click the 'new posts' link and your thread comes up, I skip it.

You may want to rethink your strategy. Selling stock items that are in no way special for more than $100 over retail will get you nowhere.

Quote:

For the record, my observations are not based on my own pieces for sale. I acknowledge mine are not "deals", but they are in the ballpark for a sincere buyer to inquire or perhaps even make an offer.
Your prices may be in "the ballpark" for an ignorant newbie who does zero research.

Otherwise, to quote Jules Winnifield, "It ain't the same league, it ain't even in the same f***ing sport."
Old 12-05-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
OK, so then I'll give you an out. What were you looking to get out of this thread? Why are the guns your selling off limits from the general and constant criticisms of the marketplace here?

Said another way - you want to make on observation about the marketplace on Calguns, yet we shouldn't hold your for sale threads to the same?
Old 12-05-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Making lots of friends today, aren’t we?! Criticizing veteran members of the site by a relative newbie will get you far... they are just trying to, fairly nicely, tell you that if you’re in a hurry to sell your guns, reduce prices. Nothing wrong with trying to get all you can for a used gun, but be willing to drop prices every couple days until someone bites... if you’re not in a hurry, bump away...

FWIW, I noticed the same thing, that all the replies to each ad are bumps by the OP... holiday season, ppl buying gifts, and sales on new items slow down the used market. Let ppl get a couple paychecks after jan1, it’ll pick up again... for fairly priced items.
Old 12-05-2018, 1:42 PM
Banned

OP, if you purchased your used guns on sale for way more than your listed price new, then..

Old 12-05-2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Anyone else notice how soft private sales have been ? I see some nice pieces at fair prices just sitting, unwanted. Perhaps past fears had the effect of pushing forward previous purchases that folks would have normally waited to make now.

Don't know, but it seems buying appetite is way down, not just on handguns, but also on rifles that utilize an external magazine, even rimfires. Galvin Newsom fears ?

FWIW.. this is an observation from a guy with several pieces for sale now.

I wasn’t going to buy anything new in CA. Moving became the priority. Sure other people are in the same thought process
Old 12-05-2018, 2:51 PM

sorry but ammo break in costs, are pure pleasure at the range. If anything, I should get a break on price because you took that pleasure away from me.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 12-05-2018, 3:19 PM
Banned

I can see why OP posted his CZ at 700, way above retail.
It's because he started this thread.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=20862166

Old 12-05-2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo2A View Post
I can see why OP posted his CZ at 700, way above retail.
It's because he started this thread.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=20862166

Lol, creating hype in the market to drive up prices... he’s in it for the long game, he started that thread a year ago. Kudos for the commitment!
Old 12-05-2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maht_g View Post
Lol, creating hype in the market to drive up prices... he’s in it for the long game, he started that thread a year ago. Kudos for the commitment!
A poor attempt at that. If he knew anything about the Czech people and shooters, they get the guns they want already, this was just a move to tell EU to F off.
Old 12-05-2018, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
That’s what kids are for.

It’s better post kids IMO, and that’s not counting the milk showers you can have if you hit the right spots when she’s nursing.
Old 12-05-2018, 6:05 PM

I have given up searching the market place. I have run into too many flakes. I will find a gun at an acceptable price, send a PM and not get a response for several days. If I do get a response it sometimes is to tell me they got a better offer and I can have it if I meet or beat the better offer. If my offer is accepted and a place and time is agreed upon to meet, the seller backs out at the last minute or I show up and the seller does not.

I do better on GunBroker for those guns that are on the Roster or that are C&R. My C&R guns can be shipped to NV where I can pick them up and not pay sales tax and drive them back to CA and self-register them and I still save money after paying the gas.

For Glocks, why do I want to buy someone's stippled and highly modified Gen 4 or Gen 5 for $1000 or more, especially when advertised as new or less than 50 rounds shot. The seller believes that by doing stippling job and replacing a trigger and a few other parts doubles the value of the gun? Yes it is off roster, and I have a son that lives out of state is more than happy to buy his dear old dad a gun as a gift for the years that I have supported him and paid for his college and graduate school if I really wanted that Glock 19X. With 5 Glocks, I have enough for my needs. My Glocks are for HD and SD. They are for function.

I collect my C&R for fun and enjoyment. I am now at a point that I want to expand to wheel guns anyway.

Finally, I am getting ready to move out of this state. As a science teacher with my advanced degrees and years of experience, I can nearly double my salary by moving to a couple of other states because there is a serious shortage of science teachers so they have greatly increased the pay of science teachers to recruit them. I have a couple of offers already to teach in in districts in a free state with no income tax and much better gun laws. Buying an overpriced gun in the market place is not worth it for me when in 6 months I can walk into a gun store, put my money down, buy as many as I can afford and walk out in 10 minutes. I do not need a permit to CC because it is a constitutional carry state and if I do get a permit, I can carry on the job in my classroom.

Even better, for a permit, I do not have to get guns pre-approved before I carry them. I can carry what every gun I want because they do not list on the permit the guns I am allowed to carry.

Instead of 40 students in a class I will have 20.

So if you want me to buy your used gun, you have to price it as a used gun. When it is priced the same or more than a new gun, even though it is an off-roster gun, I will pass it up. I would rather buy it from a local gun store and save all the hassle of a PPT. If I really want an off-roster, I can get one as a gift from my son. He has made that clear. I have told him I would rather he save his money to buy a house and invest in that future grandchild because I will be able to buy all the off-roster guns I want in the very near future.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 12-05-2018, 6:49 PM
Banned

Can someone actually tell by looking at it if a pistol, shotgun, rifle has been shot 10 rounds to 50, or 51 to 100, 101 to 300, 301 to 700, etc?, what if one guy cleans it thoroughly after 100 rounds and the guy that keeps cleaning it after 25 like a ocd?
What im trying to get at is, used is used. When someone says something double digit amount of rounds shot, is that really believable?

Old 12-05-2018, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Some people have just been buying up a lot of ammo this year instead, considering what comes next year that they would like to avoid.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 PM

I heard that the at the SAR show prices were down and demand was slower than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRRC.org
Old 12-06-2018, 12:19 AM

OP, your prices are in the, "Fairly likely to sell sometime in the next six months" category. Why don't you come inhabit planet Earth with the rest of us ...
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I think you mean:

"It's straightforward and factually correct statements like the one above that I think keeps lots of needless discussions off this site, and perpetuates negative experiences and impressions from those who want to bump their overpriced sales thread without breaking forum rules from participating here."

I'm sorry if my honest opinion struck a nerve and/or offended you. That wasn't my intention. If it was, I would have poked fun at the small minded and completely ridiculous idea that a firearm is somehow worth more after it is broken in. In fact, for people who are worried about proper "breaking in", most, if not all, would prefer to do it themselves, using their personal favorite techniques.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 12-06-2018, 2:56 PM

"I'm sorry if my honest opinion struck a nerve and/or offended you."

You're entitled to your opinion even though it's wrong, and falsely accuses me of being deceptive.

Unlike you who apparently posts tens of thousands of times and in all likelihood makes a living buying guns cheaply at the expense of others, for resale, I don't have an interest in squashing opinions or logic I don't agree with, or that impact my wallet.

Anyway, I don't need to defend myself more, so you and others can have at it.
Old 12-06-2018, 3:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You're entitled to your opinion even though it's wrong, and falsely accuses me of being deceptive.

Unlike you who apparently posts tens of thousands of times and in all likelihood makes a living buying guns cheaply at the expense of others, for resale, I don't have an interest in squashing opinions or logic I don't agree with, or that impact my wallet.

Sorry, while I like to buy guns cheaply to help others who want to turn their guns into cash, I sure don't make a living selling them. I think my history here helps prove that. As far as my high post count goes, It's only high because, I've stepped up and volunteered my time and, many times, my home to help others in this community. When you start inviting +50 calgunners, who you have never met, to your home to help them with their projects, I'm sure your legit post count will go up too.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 12-06-2018, 4:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:

We both know his post was right over the plate.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-06-2018, 5:53 PM

I get the OPs problem of over pricing, but I’m having a hard time selling a $2000 in parts rifle for $1200 that’s almost brand new. Yes it’s an acquired caliber, but come on. 6.5 Grendel can shine!!
Old 12-06-2018, 5:59 PM

There is wholesale, private party value then retail.... if the OP is expecting retail, he is going to sit on it awhile.

Most buyers are not dumb. Most have access to the gun prices bible. You can buy it, borrow it at the library or read it at just about any gun shop. I don’t know any gun shop that wouldn’t use it as a reference point if they were to consider buying or taking it in on trade.
Old 12-06-2018, 6:14 PM
Banned

At least OP is not bumping his sale thread twice a day like others does or maybe not yet lol. Bump in the morning and delete, bump in the evening again. or bump in the morning and delete and bump again but with "pm replied" in the evenings like the overpriced gun your selling has incoming pm everyday lol.

Its not slow in the marketplace at all.