Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Springfield xd9 holster?

What is a good holster for concealed carry on a Springfield xd9. I have been looking at Alien Gears shapeshifter series starter pack. Any other brands I should look into? Appendix carry or IWB?
Old 06-11-2018, 3:16 PM

I EDC an XD9SC in a Crossbreed Supertuck horsehide. Been great for the year I have been using it. The AG are nice but I don't like neoprene
Old 06-11-2018, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

I would decide of you want hybrid, leather or all kydex and start from there. Certain companies Excel in different arenas I've found.

Stealthgear for hybrid breathable or crossbreed.

Nova concealment or Raven for kydex, there are lots more though

Galco for leather.

Stay away from safariland, garbage customer service and product.
Old 06-11-2018, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/c/AIWB-Holsters.html

The AIWB-WC Holster is fantastic. I suspect any of the variants are too.

Soft loops > the clips, IMO.

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-12-2018, 5:34 AM
Wretch
CGN Contributor

Clinger for appendix carry.
That's cool I don't do glocks.
“Republicans, you better VOTE on November 6th! Let’s keep winning!” -@RyanAFournier
Old 06-12-2018, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsq45 View Post
What is a good holster for concealed carry on a Springfield xd9. I have been looking at Alien Gears shapeshifter series starter pack. Any other brands I should look into? Appendix carry or IWB?
You really need to provide much more information than your gun. Whats your build, thin, heavy, in between? What kind of clothing do you wear most often and do you wear your shirts tucked or un-tucked? What kind of work do you do, will you be carrying well working.

Do you understand the tactical advantages and disadvantages of each type of carry?

Do you have any injuries, wrist, shoulder, back, herina, IBS, etc.

All of these things matter.

We can start with those questions and then focus on what you may be looking for.

At Packin' Fur Defense we are here to help, even if you don't shop with us.

Remember your holster is every bit as important as your choice of gun and training. It is thing you count on to keep your gun in place in a fight or struggle. and still be able to draw possibly well injured in what you will likely believe is the last 1 to 1.5 seconds of your life. Make the right choice, the wrong choice is a placebo.
Old 06-13-2018, 5:09 PM
Banned

Tier one Xiphos made well, comfortable and snugg3d up to body. The alien gear tuck i dont like because its half kydex and half leather. Prefer all kydex

https://www.tier1concealed.com/colle...roducts/xiphos
Old 06-14-2018, 2:49 PM

I've got my xd40sc in one of these guy's holsters:

The Holster Store
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Sam Adams
Old 06-14-2018, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Tier one Xiphos made well, comfortable and snugg3d up to body. The alien gear tuck i dont like because its half kydex and half leather. Prefer all kydex

https://www.tier1concealed.com/colle...roducts/xiphos
The shape shifter doesn't use any leather its all molded plastic / boltron. The 3.0 and 3.5 were/are polymer.

However the Shape shifter is like a swiss army knife, useful but not good as any of the dedicated tools it's trying to replace. In California style clothing the Shape Shifter is necessarily bulky and in reality seems like a good idea but in fact shows a lack of forethought for most users.

The standard hybrid is still available now as a 3.5, but in reality for most guns people carry it's not the best answer. If your carrying a full size with high cap and you are of large size it can be a good choice. Otherwise not so much.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:24 PM

For Kydex and Hybrid, I highly recommend Precision Holsters
They're produced through months of R&D, with input from Mike Seeklander, Massad Ayoob, firearms instructors and LEO. The designs trim all the unnecessary "features", and have a high attention to detail.
They're very comfortable, and only as wide as necessary. The Appendix holsters are impressive in their simplicity, because they don't use wedges and wings to manipulate the position of the holster.

For leather, Milt Sparks is outstanding. You have to call them, and the wait us typically 3-4 months. Well worth it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Great Made America; 06-14-2018 at 6:27 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Made America View Post
For Kydex and Hybrid, I highly recommend Precision Holsters
They're produced through months of R&D, with input from Mike Seeklander, Massad Ayoob, firearms instructors and LEO. The designs trim all the unnecessary "features", and have a high attention to detail.
They're very comfortable, and only as wide as necessary. The Appendix holsters are impressive in their simplicity, because they don't use wedges and wings to manipulate the position of the holster.
Good luck!
The “negative angle” stuff is basically like adding the Extra Tuck on a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster, combined with the rotation of the Bravo Conealmenf Torsion, isn’t it? Or is there something else to it?

Not denying Precision offers a good product, just trying to see if they have a novel design or if it’s just a great implementation.

FWIW, folks say the wedge+claw combo on JM is more concealable and more comfortable than the extra tuck. But I don’t know personally.
Old 06-15-2018, 6:08 PM

Default Springfield xd9 holster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
The “negative angle” stuff is basically like adding the Extra Tuck on a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster, combined with the rotation of the Bravo Conealmenf Torsion, isn’t it? Or is there something else to it?

Not denying Precision offers a good product, just trying to see if they have a novel design or if it’s just a great implementation.

FWIW, folks say the wedge+claw combo on JM is more concealable and more comfortable than the extra tuck. But I don’t know personally.

Essentially, yes, though when you compare the Precision with the Bravo Concealment, for example, the Precision accomplishes the effect of the wings/wedges/etc. with a simpler, more comfortable (in my opinion) holster.

It's easier to see the design elements in person. The angle of the front piece on the holster, as well as the positioning of the clips, brings the grip in tight without leveraging so markedly against your pelvis or pants.

Being so close, it could be worth a drive to Placerville to try one on. Just call first to be sure they have one for your gun. Also, I'm sure John at Precision can answer your questions with more specifics.

Last edited by Great Made America; 06-29-2018 at 6:07 AM..
Old 06-20-2018, 8:14 PM

Don’t forget the most important component of concealed carry...your belt. While you might think a standard leather belt is fine and in most cases they are, I felt that way for a long time. Then I found Bigfoot Gun Belts and my thinking has changed. No sag and you’ll get a clean draw each time. I could not believe the difference. I carry XD subcompact and XDs compact. The Bigfoot belt makes the gun disappear on your waist in terms feeling the weight of the gun.
Old 06-25-2018, 2:57 PM

I just got the alien gear shapeshift starter kit for my Xd9 4" I wear the IWB and the shell fits both the 4" and the subcompact 3.3". And it is really comfortable. I just did a 4 he drive with the IWB and didn't notice it at all, and I like how I can change the carry style if I want. And it doesn't have much print even on a slim t shirt
Old 06-27-2018, 1:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSMike View Post
Don’t forget the most important component of concealed carry...your belt. While you might think a standard leather belt is fine and in most cases they are, I felt that way for a long time. Then I found Bigfoot Gun Belts and my thinking has changed. No sag and you’ll get a clean draw each time. I could not believe the difference. I carry XD subcompact and XDs compact. The Bigfoot belt makes the gun disappear on your waist in terms feeling the weight of the gun.
I use a ratchet style belt, and yes like you said its a huge difference.
Old 06-28-2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Stay away from safariland, garbage customer service and product.
I've had the exact opposite experience. Safariland's ALS level two OWB holster is my favorite. Never had an issue. And their customer service has been great.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyson View Post
Clinger for appendix carry.
Just got one. I really like that it's ambidextrous, has full trigger guard and mag release coverage on both sides, and all 3 (OWB, AIWB, IWB) come in a combo package for $70ish. It's one piece of kydex and the configurations have attachments.

I haven't used it much (new) but I look forward to it.
Old 08-15-2018, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Im wearing stealth gear vent core with my xdm3.8 comp. Love it. No sweaty holster. Very comfortable.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 08-25-2018, 6:08 PM

check out concealment express. Its a nice IWB with a wide single clip. Was able to get it on Amazon. At least you can return it if you don't like. But it worked out so well for me that I bought 2 of them. Good luck