Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 12:07 PM

Default conceal carry while fishing legal?

Was going over the California DOJ website and found this

The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed
hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or
returning from the hunting expedition . (Pen . Code, 25640 .) Notwithstanding
this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or
transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition . The unloaded
firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container
other than the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, 25610 .)

Does this mean i can legally conceal while fishing without a ccl licence? Don't want to break any laws
Old 12-04-2018, 3:07 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerfish View Post
conceal carry while fishing legal?

Was going over the California DOJ website and found this

The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed
hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or
returning from the hunting expedition . (Pen . Code, 25640 .) Notwithstanding
this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or
transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition . The unloaded
firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container
other than the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, 25610 .)

Does this mean i can legally conceal while fishing without a ccl licence? Don't want to break any laws
If you have a valid CA fishing license...
... it is legal to conceal carry an unloaded handgun while traveling to and from your fishing site.
... it is legal to conceal carry an unloaded handgun while fishing in an area that prohibits the discharge of firearms.
... it is legal to conceal carry a loaded handgun while fishing in an area that does not prohibit the discharge of firearms.

It is legal to open carry a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm in an area where it is legal to discharge firearms.
It is legal to open carry an unloaded antique firearm.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 PM

open carry while fishing at HB Pier in OC? sweet.. how many 911 calls?
Old 12-07-2018, 5:10 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet
... it is legal to conceal carry an unloaded handgun while traveling to and from your fishing site.
... it is legal to conceal carry an unloaded handgun while fishing in an area that prohibits the discharge of firearms.
... it is legal to conceal carry a loaded handgun while fishing in an area that does not prohibit the discharge of firearms.

It is legal to open carry a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm in an area where it is legal to discharge firearms.
open carry while fishing at HB Pier in OC? sweet.. how many 911 calls?
It is illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in Huntington Beach [HBCC 9.76.010] (this includes the Huntington Beach Pier), which means it's illegal to open carry a loaded or unloaded firearm anywhere in the City of Huntington Beach.
^Unless you're an exempt person (LEO, BSIS licensed security in uniform, etc) or in an exempt area (shooting range, etc).

It would be legal under CA state laws to open carry an unloaded antique firearm in non-prohibited areas (schools, colleges, Gov buildings, etc).
So, it would be legal under CA state laws to open carry an unloaded antique firearm while at the Huntington Beach Pier.
However, unless granted a permit to do so, it would be illegal under Huntining Beach city ordinances to open/conceal carry it. [HBCC 9.80.040]
So, you can still be fined by the local LEOs for doing it.

With a valid CA Fishing license, it would also be legal under CA state laws to conceal carry an unloaded handgun, while fishing at the Huntington Beach Pier.
However, unless granted a permit to do so, it would be illegal under Huntining Beach city ordinances to do it. [HBCC 9.80.040]
So, you can still be fined by the local LEOs for doing it.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-08-2018 at 4:16 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post

What would the specifics of "to and from" be? Would it be driving to get to the fishing area (i.e. my house to a lake in the national forests), or would it be "I got to the lake, now I will conceal my unloaded handgun as I leave my car and walk to my fishing spot"?
Old 12-11-2018, 6:14 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmneal93 View Post
What would the specifics of "to and from" be? Would it be driving to get to the fishing area (i.e. my house to a lake in the national forests), or would it be "I got to the lake, now I will conceal my unloaded handgun as I leave my car and walk to my fishing spot"?
This would be CA legal...
Exit residence and foot travel to vehicle = unloaded in locked container.
While in vehicle = unloaded in locked container.
Exit vehicle and foot travel to lake = unloaded conceal carry.
At lake, while fishing = loaded conceal carry.
Foot travel from lake to vehicle = unloaded conceal carry.
While in vehicle = unloaded in locked container.
Exit vehicle and foot travel to residence = unloaded in locked container.

Last edited by Quiet; 12-11-2018 at 6:17 PM..