Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-22-2021, 8:34 PM

Default scope for 308... first timer here... be gentle

Got my Predator but I have mixed info on scope... Too much magnification, Field of View size? School me!

I want to spend under 350 with tax so I can reach past 500 yards and maybe touch a human silhouette at 1000!

I am between these:

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO
Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle | 1 inch Tube

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO

Are these good?
Old 02-22-2021, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

call doug at cameraland and give him your budget.

https://cameralandny.com/
Old 02-22-2021, 9:23 PM

$350 range prolly a vortex diamondback tactical 4-16 or a swfa 10x
Old 02-22-2021, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Opti...4062065&sr=8-1

I have a couple of these for sale but I want 300 you can probably get it cheaper from Amazon

Old 02-22-2021, 10:01 PM

I personally prefer a 30mm tube with a 50mm eye relief.
Old 02-23-2021, 6:03 AM

I would avoid buying a Chinese made optic if you can.
Old 02-23-2021, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah not gonna happen in his price range and requirements. USA made scopes are expensive
Old 02-23-2021, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

The SWFA SS 10X is built like a tank for 300.00. It has great glass, tracks excellent, rated for .50 cal, proven track record, lifetime guaranteed, and is very well suited for a .308 capabilities.

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"
Old 02-23-2021, 9:15 PM

SWFA for that price range.

But don't skimp on glass! Worth the investment

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 PM

What are you going to be using the rifle for?? Range ? Hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 10:58 PM

The sfwa is a nice scope with great turrets and pretty clear glass for the money.
Another one to Think about if you want a variable power scope is the primary arms 4-14 FFP. Good scope for a good price

Old 02-24-2021, 6:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Spend money on glass first, rifle second. If your scope doesn’t track or you can’t see your target, it doesn’t matter how good your rifle is, you won’t be hitting anything.

I second calling Greg at cameralandny or the folks at cstactical.

If you’re just starting our biggest bang for the buck are fixed 10x scopes by Swfa. Only swfa sells them. Best glass and turret tracking for the money. If you ever move up to bigger scopes after you’ve learned in the swfa, it’ll be easy to sell. It’s also one you won’t have to sell.

Buy cheap China optics and when it comes time to upgrade, you’ll get pennies on the dollar.

Last edited by HK Dave; 02-24-2021 at 6:56 AM..
Old 02-24-2021, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

3rd on calling Cameraland or buying an SWFA 10X.
Old 02-24-2021, 8:44 AM

If you want to go American Riton optics have a fantastic warranty and glass quality.

https://ritonoptics.com/product-cate...s/riflescopes/

A bit on the heavy side but the glass quality is good
Old 02-24-2021, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How about Redfield scopes?
Old 02-24-2021, 9:27 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I stay away from Chinese glass. But Japanese glass can be very good. $350 is not a lot of money for a scope. I'd save up for a little while.
Old 02-24-2021, 2:24 PM

If your budget can't go any higher, get an SWFA fixed power scope. The 10x or 12x at $300 will be dead nuts reliable and will last several lifetimes. You'll be happy to have a scope that will survive anything and everything you can drag it through.

If you can save up a bit more, I'd wait until you can get something in the next price tier. The $500 price range gets you optics of much higher quality (glass, features, internals, reliability, etc) than the $300 range.

Crimson Trace 3 Series on clearance $449 from $900 - this is high quality Japanese glass that will help you see clearly at long range. I don't think you can find a better deal right now than this for what you want to do.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619264

The Burris Veracity is on sale for $459, down from $630-700. It's made in the Philippines, which is where a lot of mid and upper-mid tier optics come from these days.
https://www.natchezss.com/blemished-...e1-matte..html
Old 02-26-2021, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Swift Optics, take a look at their Premier Line. Made in Korea.
http://swift-sportoptics.com/
Old 02-26-2021, 9:55 PM

What’s wrong with you? Can you not use the search function? I can’t believe your post. Was that gentle enough. Jk.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-27-2021, 3:01 PM

Leupold recently discontinued the Mark AR series scopes(replaced with the lesser quality Freedom series), but you can find one used for about 3 to 4 hundred. They are backed by Leupold's full lifetime warranty.

They were marketed for AR15 series rifles, so a lot of people disregarded them for 308's at face value. Big mistake. They have eye relief more than sufficient for 308, they have multicoat4 lenses like their high end scopes, adjustable objectives and the kicker...for 60 dollars the Leupold custom shot will make you a custom Bullet Drop Compensator bc dial for your specific rifle/ammo. I set 2 of my co-workers 308's up with Mark AR scopes and they love them.

Benchrest shooters and a lot of PX commandos poopoo BDC' scopes, for some legit reasons (there are several) and some stupid ones because they read in some magazine or heard from an "experienced friend", but I grew up with the M24 sniper weapon system with the BDC Leupold Mk4 M3 fixed 10x prior to transitioning to the M110 SWS. I like the simplicity and speed of the BDC.

If you go the Mark AR route, I suggest the 4-12x40 version based on what you posted on what you want to do with your rifle. I still use a Leupold Mk4 M3 10x40 30mm tube on my R700 PSS 308, but I have both a Mark AR 4-12x40 and a Horus Falcon with H59 reticle stashed away as a spare scopes (no, none of them are for sale).
Old 02-27-2021, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Just my opinion, but I think second focal plane reticles with a bdc are mostly worthless as the bdc calculations are only correct at the highest magnification. Don't know about you but I don't like shooting at 18x on a scope whose Max mag is 18x. Eye box sucks, clarity kind of sucks, but to each his own. I think op might be better off going with a 1-8 or 1-10 lpvo as it makes the rifle more useful in closer situations but still provide enough magnification to reach out to the yardage that he's looking to do.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Spend money on glass first, rifle second. If your scope doesn’t track or you can’t see your target, it doesn’t matter how good your rifle is, you won’t be hitting anything.

I second calling Greg at cameralandny or the folks at cstactical.

If you’re just starting our biggest bang for the buck are fixed 10x scopes by Swfa. Only swfa sells them. Best glass and turret tracking for the money. If you ever move up to bigger scopes after you’ve learned in the swfa, it’ll be easy to sell. It’s also one you won’t have to sell.

Buy cheap China optics and when it comes time to upgrade, you’ll get pennies on the dollar.
TRUTH!
Old 03-01-2021, 3:42 PM

I'll throw my vote in the SWFA camp, I own three and am very happy with them; but there are a few other things to consider since you said you were new to all this.

Reticle: I've never been impressed with bullet drop compensating reticles. They might get you in the ballpark, if you find ammunition that happens to match the reticles ballistics, and the temperature is right, and you're shooting at just the right altitude... They might be "combat accurate" out to a few hundred yards but not really precise enough to play at the long or even medium distances. Go with something Mil-Dot based, that will work on any rifle and for any ammunition, and once you figure out your drops they will still be accurate if you change scopes down the road. SWFA checks this box.

Knobs: Get them in the unit of measurement that matches your reticle. If your reticle is in Mil's get a scope with knobs in Mils. If your reticle is in MOA get a scope with MOA knobs. SWFA checks this box too.

Adjustable parallax: You want this if you're going to shoot out to 500 yards or more. Most SWFA scopes check this box with both rear focus and side focus models. Side focus is nice but not super necessary for the extra $.

Rings: Good rings are more important than you might think. I prefer steel rings and a steel base. But you can also get aluminum rings and an aluminum base. Your base should be the same material as your rings. I've used LaRue, Nightforce, Seekins and Leupold rings and I've never needed anything higher than a "low" ring to clear the 42mm objective on SWFA scopes, however this depends somewhat on the length and thickness of the base you select also.

Scope base: Consider getting a base with some slope built it. This will angle the slope slightly down. This is done so you don't run out of elevation adjustment when you're taking really long shots and have to dial in a lot of bullet drop. You'll see them called 20 MOA scope mounts, or sometimes even 40 moa scope mounts. That refers to how much slope is built into the base.

Magnification: In a fixed power scope, more isn't always better. I have a SWFA 20x42 and it works for benchrest style shooting or distances past about 500 yards, but it's too much if I was mostly just shooting at 100-500 yards. That much magnification makes it hard to find your target, hard to spot your misses, and on a hot day the mirage can really distort your image. The fixed 20 is a specialized tool, 10 power is a nice all around magnification, 12 power would work fine for most medium to long range distances. I wouldn't have bought the 20 but it but it came on a used Savage I bought once. If you intended to hunt, probably go with less magnification than 10 power but I'm not much of a hunter.

Scope body diameter: Generally larger diameters accommodate more elevation adjustment. It sucks to run out of elevation adjustment. 1 inch can be limiting. Some scopes come in 34mm but probably not in the price range we're talking about. 30mm is fine for most things, especially with the 20 moa scope bases we talked about. SWFA got you covered there.

Just so you know, SWFA usually has a pretty good sale around tax day, if you can wait until April.

Last edited by Surferchris1; 03-01-2021 at 4:03 PM.. Reason: Added note about ring height.
Old 03-01-2021, 6:11 PM

So the big question remains what will you be using this rifle for??

Old 03-01-2021, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely look at the Athlon scopes. I just got one and I'm really impressed so far. Vortex makes great scopes too.

If I were you, I'd save up for a better scope of at least $500. I just picked up an Athlon Midas Gen 2 4.5-27x50 for less than $600.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a used scope if it is a Vortex. They have lifetime warranties.

If you go cheap, the scope won't hold zero, you can't track accurately, etc. It will drive you crazy.
Old 03-01-2021, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

@remusrm, here's what I used to go past 500 yards and out to 1,000. Better than the made-in-China Crossfire II and less than $350.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithag...ngeReport.html

This was five and a half years ago. I still have both setups as you see there, and they both are good shooters. It's simply that the shooter behind the scope has gotten better over time since then. :-)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 PM

[QUOTE=russ13;25484641]The sfwa is a nice scope with great turrets and pretty clear glass for the money.
Another one to Think about if you want a variable power scope is the primary arms 4-14 FFP. Good scope for a good price

this, the acss reticle is very simple to learn and you can reach out to 1000, plus the warranty is great. you use the extra 100 on a good set of rings, a book on long range shooting, and a bag of peanuts.
Old 03-12-2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I would avoid buying a Chinese made optic if you can.
I've been searching for a new scope the last couple weeks. It's almost all China made until you get into the top shelf stuff. It's one thing I have been trying to avoid. I simply don't think it can be avoided at average-guy, average rifle prices.
Old 03-12-2021, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
I've been searching for a new scope the last couple weeks. It's almost all China made until you get into the top shelf stuff. It's one thing I have been trying to avoid. I simply don't think it can be avoided at average-guy, average rifle prices.
with ammo prices being so high, you only have a skip a couple of trips to the range to save enough to go up a tier in quality and price.
Old 03-12-2021, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
I don't see where $250 for a riflescope of decent quality is out of line, and they're out there. How much did you pay for your rifle?
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 03-12-2021, 5:52 PM

Default scope for 308... first timer here... be gentle

I’ve seen some crimson Trace scopes on midway heavily marked down. Does anyone have experience with these scopes

Last edited by russ13; 03-12-2021 at 5:54 PM..
Old 03-12-2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferchris1 View Post
I'll throw my vote in the SWFA camp, I own three and am very happy with them; but there are a few other things to consider since you said you were new to all this.

Reticle: I've never been impressed with bullet drop compensating reticles. They might get you in the ballpark, if you find ammunition that happens to match the reticles ballistics, and the temperature is right, and you're shooting at just the right altitude... They might be "combat accurate" out to a few hundred yards but not really precise enough to play at the long or even medium distances. Go with something Mil-Dot based, that will work on any rifle and for any ammunition, and once you figure out your drops they will still be accurate if you change scopes down the road. SWFA checks this box.

Knobs: Get them in the unit of measurement that matches your reticle. If your reticle is in Mil's get a scope with knobs in Mils. If your reticle is in MOA get a scope with MOA knobs. SWFA checks this box too.

Adjustable parallax: You want this if you're going to shoot out to 500 yards or more. Most SWFA scopes check this box with both rear focus and side focus models. Side focus is nice but not super necessary for the extra $.

Rings: Good rings are more important than you might think. I prefer steel rings and a steel base. But you can also get aluminum rings and an aluminum base. Your base should be the same material as your rings. I've used LaRue, Nightforce, Seekins and Leupold rings and I've never needed anything higher than a "low" ring to clear the 42mm objective on SWFA scopes, however this depends somewhat on the length and thickness of the base you select also.

Scope base: Consider getting a base with some slope built it. This will angle the slope slightly down. This is done so you don't run out of elevation adjustment when you're taking really long shots and have to dial in a lot of bullet drop. You'll see them called 20 MOA scope mounts, or sometimes even 40 moa scope mounts. That refers to how much slope is built into the base.

Magnification: In a fixed power scope, more isn't always better. I have a SWFA 20x42 and it works for benchrest style shooting or distances past about 500 yards, but it's too much if I was mostly just shooting at 100-500 yards. That much magnification makes it hard to find your target, hard to spot your misses, and on a hot day the mirage can really distort your image. The fixed 20 is a specialized tool, 10 power is a nice all around magnification, 12 power would work fine for most medium to long range distances. I wouldn't have bought the 20 but it but it came on a used Savage I bought once. If you intended to hunt, probably go with less magnification than 10 power but I'm not much of a hunter.

Scope body diameter: Generally larger diameters accommodate more elevation adjustment. It sucks to run out of elevation adjustment. 1 inch can be limiting. Some scopes come in 34mm but probably not in the price range we're talking about. 30mm is fine for most things, especially with the 20 moa scope bases we talked about. SWFA got you covered there.

Just so you know, SWFA usually has a pretty good sale around tax day, if you can wait until April.
What's your opinion on my two choices?

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO

vs

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
Old 03-12-2021, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Well, most responses have given you good alternative scopes or at least general criteria to look for. Since no one said "those are good choices", that should be enough of a hint.
Old 03-15-2021, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
with ammo prices being so high, you only have a skip a couple of trips to the range to save enough to go up a tier in quality and price.
i agree, Diamondback would be the lowest product tier of Vortex that I would buy , and Viper is my preferred optical quality for the price range of that manufacture. Vortex Diamondback is probably your best bet, really not that much more than crossfire but optically worth it . Just get the 3x9x40 with duplex reticle, that is the benchmark scope dimensions and reticle type that sits on thousands of hunting rifles across America because it is the best balance of magnification range and size/weight for most all hunting applications. Yes you will be able to line up your human sized target at 1000 yards at 9x, if you will be able to hit it is another story, haha.

Last edited by theduracellbigd; 03-15-2021 at 6:20 AM..
Old 03-15-2021, 6:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
What's your opinion on my two choices?

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO

vs

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO
No good. Get an SWFA 10x in mil and learn on it. Don’t get caught up on the high magnification zoom idea. With your choices you have so much going against you. Your choices are sfp, reticle only useful at one magnification, I bet tracking is marginal at best, reticle sucks.

Or spend $500+ and get an swfa 3-9 ffp. I excellent scope for the money with awesome optics an tracking.
Old 03-19-2021, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Sportsmans Warehouse has the 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper with Dead Hold reticle on sale for $279.

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-g...cope/p/1244420

Midway has the 6-24x50 Bushnell Nitro with the MOA reticle on sale for $255. Can get a 20% rebate, bringing the cost down to $205.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020055352?pid=475155

Viper made in the Philippines, Nitro made in South Korea.
Old 03-22-2021, 9:06 PM
Banned

what scopes did you settle on then? Were you able to find something comparable?
Old 03-23-2021, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
Got my Predator but I have mixed info on scope... Too much magnification, Field of View size? School me!

I want to spend under 350 with tax so I can reach past 500 yards and maybe touch a human silhouette at 1000!

I am between these:

Crossfire® II
6-18x44 AO

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO

Are these good?
Learn some scope 101 terms first and then shop for your best scope for your uses.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/h...iflescope.html.

There are lots of articles available for the novice buyer. Search engine du jour.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OP

You said be gentle

Ok

Vortex is a no brainer

Vortex has that amazing warranty and the resale value is fantastic.

Money is never free....

So I like your thinking. If you buy a used vortex, then should you feel the need to add $1,500 to your budget and buy new Japanese glass, you can move the vortex to another rifle or sell in the marketplace.

Some folks shoot iron sights at 600-1000 yards

Many in PRS matches will rarely go over 10-15 power in a match.

The nice thing about high power scopes is you can SPOT for a friend with your rifle scope.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I’m also a fan of bigger front lenses for higher power scopes.

Bigger tubes too

Both let more light/ image reach your eyes.

Of the two you posted-I’d pick this one with the 50mm lense for that reason.

Crossfire® II
4-12x50 AO

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)