Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-24-2020, 6:24 AM
- DVC - Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post

...I would like to nominate Mrs. Horsewright for membership (if she will have us). A self professed "lever girl" and I have more pics of her with a lever in hand than you. LOL

Do I hear a second?

G'mornin MLC.

Duece, if you'll have look at the first post, you'll find "Horsewright & Spouse" listed. Been that way since we initiated these here shenanigans.

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

."Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - splithoof

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-24-2020, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post

Some of the most beautiful work I've seen.

Thanks for posting these.

"[The Left] will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you will not have a gun problem." - Jeff Cooper

.Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 07-24-2020, 6:40 AM

Bee what cal is that BLR?

Thanks guys she is honored by the nomination and does enjoy her lever guns. Coming back from popping ground squirrels:

She'll always tell ya how much she loves her Henry which she has named Henrietta:

Handy with a rope, blade, or branding iron, she's just not into whirlenpoppers!

Dan, the north side, east of the new hospital, all the flats and the mountains behind. Probably the only hospital in CA surrounded on three sides by cattle ranches.

A friend sent me these pics and I thought I'd share them with you guys. He runs a "camp" for a large ranch in northern Ca. A camp in ranching terms is an area away from headquarters, usually a long ways, where its more feasible to have a cowboy or two or a married couple live, rather than travel back and forth. Accommodations can range from a teepee, to a house or cabin or like the one my son runs part of the year in Oregon, a camper trailer. Their job is to take care of that area of the ranch, the fences and all the cattle on it. Basically its like a separate ranch that they run. Anyhoo my friend carries a 336 with him constantly. The quintessential cowboy truck:

Besides the 336 we got us a book on horsemanship, a 20 ga shell, some Copenhagen, a cup of coffee, a pistol of some type, even some hand sanitizer.

After some horseback work with a storm coming in:

Last edited by Horsewright; 07-24-2020 at 6:47 AM..
Old 07-24-2020, 6:47 AM

Bee, that bench and that rifle are awesome-

Horseweight’s picks make me wanna watch something westerny-

Also if anyone is looking for some 7-30 waters fun - I just saw the consignment section of turners: there’s a contender pistol and a win 94 in the Victorville location.

Oh and a 7mm mag No.1B for 700...

Someone snag these up cuz I sure can’t : /
Old 07-24-2020, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Dan, the north side, east of the new hospital, all the flats and the mountains behind. Probably the only hospital in CA surrounded on three sides by cattle ranches.
Outstanding! BTW, many years ago (maybe 30 or so), I remember traveling east on 58 (can't remember if it was just before or just after Tehachapi) on my way to visit my sister in Redlands and I saw a small group of pronghorn antelope 100-200 yards north of the highway. First I had ever seen in California.

Have you seen any on your ranch?

BTW, who is your wonderful photographer that seems to follow you and your crew everywhere? I don't remember seeing him/her mentioned.

I thank you for your many wonderful posts and fabulous photos of your ranch and activities, always look forward to them.

Dan
Old 07-24-2020, 9:59 AM

Sorry Apples. I thought that was the case. You threw me off with:
"These fine souls of men (and women, should they ever appear)". Give her a stand alone spot.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:03 AM

dad's 336 is a .30-30 and his BLR 81 is a .308.. I was in the store in grain valley with him when he bought the BLR, I was getting my 7400 .243

I'll get some better pictures of my belgians and others I have out here and post them together for y'all

don't know if I posted this but I spoke to Mr. Imperato on the phone for the first one and I emailed for approval for the second one along with one for my friend..

the actual serial numbers are my kids initials and birthdates - yah I'm an old dad with a young wife

Old 07-24-2020, 11:12 AM

saw this in the market place, nice sidearm for someone

Ruger Vaquero, 45LC, $475. Riverside

SideView.jpg
Old 07-24-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
saw this in the market place, nice sidearm for someone

Ruger Vaquero, 45LC, $475. Riverside

Attachment 918543
Carried one of those for many a mile horseback. Those Old Models are rock solid and handle heavy loads like they were .22s

Old 07-24-2020, 6:37 PM

HW,
If you put your FS 1911 in that holster, how would it fit? I have this crazy idea that I can design a holster for the Ruger Vaquero that will also work with my 1911 for Wild Bunch.
Old 07-24-2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Sorry Apples. I thought that was the case. You threw me off with:
"These fine souls of men (and women, should they ever appear)". Give her a stand alone spot.

You are correct. Only reason I haven't so far is that she does not participate in/on calguns. Consider it done.

Old 07-24-2020, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
Those Old Models are rock solid and handle heavy loads like they were .22s
Ive got one of those old Vaquero’s in .44 Magnum; I hope to be sending it over to Hamilton Bowen for some work. After the artwork he made out of a Super Redhawk for me, I have no desire to use that Vaquero as is.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Ive got one of those old Vaquero’s in .44 Magnum; I hope to be sending it over to Hamilton Bowen for some work. After the artwork he made out of a Super Redhawk for me, I have no desire to use that Vaquero as is.
Very unfair that you make that post, yet don't provide pics.

What package did you get?

-- Michael
Old 07-25-2020, 6:19 AM

splithoof. You send. We see here.

Old 07-25-2020, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
Outstanding! BTW, many years ago (maybe 30 or so), I remember traveling east on 58 (can't remember if it was just before or just after Tehachapi) on my way to visit my sister in Redlands and I saw a small group of pronghorn antelope 100-200 yards north of the highway. First I had ever seen in California.

Have you seen any on your ranch?

BTW, who is your wonderful photographer that seems to follow you and your crew everywhere? I don't remember seeing him/her mentioned.

I thank you for your many wonderful posts and fabulous photos of your ranch and activities, always look forward to them.

Dan
I use to see a group of antelope consistently on the south side of 58, at the east end of the Tehachapi valley about 10 years ago. They were there often. We've seen them one time on the ranch two springs ago. We'd had a superbloom on the ranch in a particular area. We'd seen it from afar and decided to ride over there one Sunday afternoon with friends. Just as we crossed a canyon to get to the flat where the wildflowers were we saw two antelope, that were also enjoying the wildflowers, leave. We've got all kinds of critters but the only time I've seen antelope.

As far as our pics go. I've always been very visual. All the stuff we make, there's no diagrams or plans, I see pics in my head. Nichole says I'm a photojournalist at heart. So anyhoo most of the still lifes I take, but with supervision. Here's my art director:

A lot of the ranch pics particularly at brandings etc are taken by our young friend Emma, horseback with me here:

She'll be 18 come Oct. She's been taking pic for me for several years now. I have a friend who is an art director for a major advertising outfit in NYC and he says to tell her to keep on taking pics, she has a great eye:

I've had various other folks take pics too and often will myself, if I'm not too busy at the ranch.

Deuce, yep those Rangeflap holsters work off of frame size and are not molded to a particular gun. One of their advantages. They'll fit a bunch. A 1911 would fit in that one.
Old 07-25-2020, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
splithoof. You send. We see here.

Pics on the way....
I’ll edit this for explanation of work done.
Edit:
This RSRH was about as useful as a golf club to begin with, and Ruger would not shorten or replace the barrel.
Hamilton Bowen shortened and re-crowned the barrel, added their Rough Country sights, chamfered the cylinder, tuned the action w/trigger upgrade, added a lanyard & ring, bead-blast finish, test fire, and included a comprehensive package of related literature.
The work is flawless, with exacting attention to detail. The revolver is very accurate with a variety of loads so far, and pleasant to shoot, even with stout, heavy loads.

Last edited by splithoof; 07-25-2020 at 1:50 PM..
Old 07-25-2020, 12:29 PM

SplitHo0f's Ruger Redhawk...

Before:

100_1872.jpg

From Hamilton Bowen:

IMG_0111.jpg

YES.

Old 07-25-2020, 1:11 PM

Split,
Very nice.
Thx for getting the pics posted Chris.
Old 07-25-2020, 1:19 PM

"A 1911 would fit in that one."

Thanks HW. Thought the concept had a chance. Nice leather work on that flap holster by the way.
Old 07-25-2020, 6:35 PM

^ ^ ^ Agreed.

Quote:

Split,
Very nice.
Thx for getting the pics posted Chris.

But wait; Splithoof has more!

61741677235__EB6B0EB9-E9A7-48F8-B0E1-04392308F325.jpg

Glock knives. He uses these as his set of steak knives when he and his squaw throw dinner parties.

Old 07-25-2020, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
From Hamilton Bowen:

[ATTACH]..custom Ruger...[ /ATTACH]
Nice!

-- Michael
Old 07-25-2020, 9:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Glock makes knives!

One question before I go try to find one. Are the blades steel?
Old 07-25-2020, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^ ^ ^ Agreed.

But wait; Splithoof has more!

Attachment 918962

Glock knives. He uses these as his set of steak knives when he and his squaw throw dinner parties.
Oh my! Somebody needs to step in and help the man. He's a hoarder...

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-26-2020, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Oh my! Somebody needs to step in and help the man. He's a hoarder...
Thank goodness that Nighthawk Custom doesn’t make a “1911” knife, otherwise I’d be in trouble (having just one of their knives that goes with their T3 model as a set is plenty for me). The Glock field knives were picked up during a blowout sale for $18 each, and for someone who has very rarely in their life ever bought any new kitchen stuff (we do thrift stores), it was a leap.
Yes, the blades are steel, and VERY sharp. And, they do well in the dishwasher. At our very modest home in town, the walls by the table are adorned with Cold Steel hunting spears, and world maps. Those knives go well with it all, and even my ultra liberal Bay Area cousins who have dined on wild pork were amused.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
"A 1911 would fit in that one."

Thanks HW. Thought the concept had a chance. Nice leather work on that flap holster by the way.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2020, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Thank goodness that Nighthawk Custom doesn’t make a “1911” knife, otherwise I’d be in trouble (having just one of their knives that goes with their T3 model as a set is plenty for me). The Glock field knives were picked up during a blowout sale for $18 each, and for someone who has very rarely in their life ever bought any new kitchen stuff (we do thrift stores), it was a leap.
Yes, the blades are steel, and VERY sharp. And, they do well in the dishwasher. At our very modest home in town, the walls by the table are adorned with Cold Steel hunting spears, and world maps. Those knives go well with it all, and even my ultra liberal Bay Area cousins who have dined on wild pork were amused.
Can't argue with that. I bet I could produce 150+ pocket knives, folders and fixed blades in price ranges of $325.00 too $3.25. I need another gun like I need a hole in the head, yet I will dros one on Friday...but I really need this one.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 6:37 PM

Default MLC and Joshua trees

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1&d=1596249140

my bad.....must have been a shallow earthquake....

Last edited by inyocountymark; 07-31-2020 at 6:45 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey guys, I want to get some feed back and opinions on something. Rather then start a new thread in Gen Pop I'll ask my MLC brothers

I'm thinking about transfering about 80% of my gun collection to my son (18 years old)
I'm worried about him not being grandfathered in and my collection goes away when I do. It just a matter of time for the state to get crazy and who knows what will happen in 3 months.

What's you thought on me transfering them to my son ?
He's a good kid with a really good head on his shoulders. I have no idea where he gets if from.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 7:44 PM

Golf,
Can you transfer pistols to an 18 yr old?

I always favor the legal way. If Governor Gruesome gets froggy, don't take any boating trips.
Old 07-31-2020, 7:51 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I'm pretty sure you can still transfer pistols to <21.

I dunno though. Whatever happens with the laws changing, there will be plenty of time to do that when the time comes. If it were me, I wouldn't do it yet. Maybe a few that he wants/will appreciate/whatever, but I wouldn't do 80% yet.
Old 07-31-2020, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Golf,
Can you transfer pistols to an 18 yr old?

I always favor the legal way. If Governor Gruesome gets froggy, don't take any boating trips.
I think so they can't buy one though. I would think we'll find out soon
Yeah, this will be legal for sure. That's why I'm saying 80%

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I'm pretty sure you can still transfer pistols to <21.

I dunno though. Whatever happens with the laws changing, there will be plenty of time to do that when the time comes. If it were me, I wouldn't do it yet. Maybe a few that he wants/will appreciate/whatever, but I wouldn't do 80% yet.
Thanks brother....

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 8:28 PM

we all know.....but commiefornia......just like disco.....still sucks
Old 07-31-2020, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Okay guys, inyocountymark is the first to post up a picture of him in the Mojave next to a Joshua tree with his lever gun. I thought this would be a cool idea and so did Mark.

I just haven't figured out this picture posting thing ..

Can somebody fix this for us Mark's

Thank you..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200731_093803(1).jpg (96.7 KB, 13 views)

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 9:15 PM
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor

Old 07-31-2020, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post
Thank you

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-31-2020, 9:28 PM

Thanks ya'll,.....i appreciate your efforts
Old 07-31-2020, 9:50 PM

If its still legal for him to receive pistols you can transfer to him all the guns you want to give him through CFARS for $19.00.
Just did something like that with my son
Dan
MLC
Cool picture, inyocounty

Last edited by MOA squirrel; 07-31-2020 at 9:54 PM..
Old 08-01-2020, 6:35 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Haha awesome picture.
Old 08-01-2020, 6:36 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I need to work up a lead free load for 444 Marlin out of an early pre-70 24" rifle. Guess I should look in to bullets and order some up.
Right now I'm sitting under a tree with my bow hoping a buck is thirsty for this spring that's 35 yards down the hill from me.