Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Proof of residence

Ok, so I have a PO BOX mailing address, not by my choice, USPS says that is my only option. DMV says only one address can be on your drivers license or regisrations, their system lists mailing address first then physical address, my DLs and reggys only have the the first address printed on them, so my DL and all my reggys have PO BOX on them. This has never been an issue because I always have a stack of utilities AND my residence prop tax statement ready to go......until now! I've been informed that prop tax statement is no longer accepted. I have been told that many people have both addresses on their DL and registrations, I've been to DMV many times to try and get mine changed with no luck, many different DMVs also. SO what are my options?
I know a lot of this depends on the gun shop and or their policy, however, this is the LGS that I have been using for 25+ years, same owner! Now this IS the shop in Goleta that got raked over the coals on the Colt GCNMs. Any of you great minds help shed light on this? I am not a newby to the game just haven't bought a handgun in a couple months. Thank you guys in advance !
Mark
Old 08-07-2019, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You should be able to use a utility bill that shows the service address and if your billing address is the PO box that would be fine for CA

However, for ATF you would need some government documentation showing your physical address.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Ive seen plenty of dmv registrations with 2 addresses on them.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Aces, at this time I'm thinking only option is DMV driving record print out ?
Old 08-07-2019, 1:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
Ive seen plenty of dmv registrations with 2 addresses on them.
I absolutely agree, however, I have been to San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Lompoc, Goleta and Santa Barbara numerous times over the last 3 years and am given the same story. I have pursued this issue not only for firearm purchase reasons but also work, a lot of jobsites are requiring almost identical proof for back ground checks in order to enter their property or facilities.
Old 08-07-2019, 2:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKFP View Post
Thanks Aces, at this time I'm thinking only option is DMV driving record print out ?
Thats a government document it will satisfy ATF, but not DOJ for proof of residency for handguns.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 08-07-2019, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have some vehicle registration with just my mailing address and one which has both. I am not sure why, but if you are a member of AAA, you might go there and talk to them.

If one of your utilities is a government organization, then it will work for both. If you get a Ham radio license or wood cutting permit, that would work as well. The fire permit is a problem since you entered your own info, if you go in and it is written up by a Ranger, then it should be fine for most FFLs.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-07-2019, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
I have some vehicle registration with just my mailing address and one which has both. I am not sure why, but if you are a member of AAA, you might go there and talk to them.

If one of your utilities is a government organization, then it will work for both. If you get a Ham radio license or wood cutting permit, that would work as well. The fire permit is a problem since you entered your own info, if you go in and it is written up by a Ranger, then it should be fine for most FFLs.
That would be a great idea, but HAM RADIO Licenses are view-able by the public so I suggest you use your PO BOX.

Since my wife with severe Mentally Ill Adults I have a strong reason for kiping my home address private.

Most shops use my CCW as proof of address but some FFL say If I use my CCW for the FSC Exemption I can't use it for Proof of address???

For this reason alone I have one vehicle (that she never drives) registered to my physical address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-07-2019, 3:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
That would be a great idea, but HAM RADIO Licenses are view-able by the public so I suggest you use your PO BOX.
I agree, but it is an option. There are other licenses that you can get. To look you up, they have to know that you have a license and do a search.

Quote:
Since my wife with severe Mentally Ill Adults I have a strong reason for kiping my home address private.
Yep. Lots of reason to have things private.

Quote:
Most shops use my CCW as proof of address but some FFL say If I use my CCW for the FSC Exemption I can't use it for Proof of address???
Bizarre. There is no such limitation. Much easier to use that for both as it is one thing to copy.

Quote:
For this reason alone I have one vehicle (that she never drives) registered to my physical address.
Sad that you have to do that, but that is the system.

Consider that a homeless person can't buy a firearm, which includes those who have retired and travel in a RV. If it isn't your residence address, you can't legally use it.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein