Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:39 PM

Default Livestock

I see so much emphasis on food preps. People buying up expensive mre style meals and other stuff. Why aren’t people looking into a regenerative food source like livestock ? Consider chickens, goats sheep cattle , rabbits etcetera…. You don’t need a ton of room for chickens and rabbits.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:32 AM
Calguns Addict

That's the smart long-term move but I think people either don't have the room or they're so used to buying groceries that they might not be ready to harvest even rabbits on a regular basis.
I think starting with chickens and having fresh eggs is the easiest for most people to start with.

I'll also suggest fish to add to your list.
The one I know about is tilapia. They they can be grown in small kid size pools or turn your old goldfish / Koi pond into something you can harvest and eat.
I've had them for pets in large aquariums and they aren't fussy eaters and grow quickly, reaching breeding size in no time at all.
I was feeding fish food but I think they would probably would eat almost any edible food waste and they can multiply and grow quicker than other fish.
I had four in my fish tank but because they're good parents and keep their young babies in their mouth for protection so most make it to adulthood. I had to find new homes for those multiplying fish all the time.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:48 AM

Livestock needs food also. So you have to store their food on top of taking care of them.
OR
Stack a can of beef or tuna and forget it.

FYI
I love the idea of livestock but I’m not on mom’s farm. I live in an unfriendly city that worships animals and kills babies.
Old 06-27-2022, 4:57 AM

Quail are very easy. Specially if you don't have land.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2022, 5:33 AM

95% of America are to lazy to raise live stock even if it would save there lives .
Old 06-27-2022, 5:46 AM
Custom Title is Custom
CGN Contributor

Country living FTW!

Big gardens, livestock and a bartering network with like minded neighbors.

Living space ... get out if dense urban areas while you can!

It takes time to establish ones country estate so better get cracking before it's crunch time.
Old 06-27-2022, 5:56 AM

I have a piece of land (18 acres) in Riverside Co. that could possibly grow enough vegetation for a couple goats annually. It’s not enough land for a single cow though.

Where I live now, high desert in San Bernardino County, I don’t get enough vegetation on 2 acres for even a couple rabbits.

With current inflation, I don’t know if the cost of feed is worth the price per pound of meat yield.

You can always rely on hunting
Old 06-27-2022, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Country living FTW!

Big gardens, livestock and a bartering network with like minded neighbors.

Living space ... get out if dense urban areas while you can!

It takes time to establish ones country estate so better get cracking before it's crunch time.
Amen! Even if raising a cow is not for you, move to where these things are and make friends with the folks who raise them. I don't eat red meat but I'm surrounded by people who raise small herds and often get asked if I want to go in on half a butchered cow.

Getting out of the city is the best thing we ever did. And yes, it does take time and effort to establish your country home but it's good and noble work. We'll feel it for sure if/when food shortages come but we'll manage that storm far easier than the folks in the city.
Old 06-27-2022, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calishinobi View Post
I see so much emphasis on food preps. People buying up expensive mre style meals and other stuff. Why aren’t people looking into a regenerative food source like livestock ? Consider chickens, goats sheep cattle , rabbits etcetera…. You don’t need a ton of room for chickens and rabbits.
This Q has been frequently hashed out here. Search?

Most people cannot ween themselves off the easy button lifestyle that comes with city living. Most of their cattle and vegetables come from the communal farm we know as grocery stores. Many know they should get out, but just don't using the excuse du jour.
Raising animals in a postage stamp sized back yard in a city generates calls to bureau-rats and fines kill the effort in utero. Raising meat critters literally stinks.

*YT makes it look easy to raise animals.
It ain't.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 06-27-2022 at 6:53 AM..
Old 06-27-2022, 5:34 PM

I like raising goats. They eat everything and have babies pretty fast. They are easy and pretty tough. I am just letting the herd grow naturally. I have 8 at the moment. Probably want between 50-100 just for weed control.
Old 06-27-2022, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I use the ocean. It’s super low maintenance and always provides.
Old 06-28-2022, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Killer View Post
I like raising goats. They eat everything and have babies pretty fast. They are easy and pretty tough. I am just letting the herd grow naturally. I have 8 at the moment. Probably want between 50-100 just for weed control.
Goats are fantastic weed eaters. Even poison oak.

I've tasted free range weed eater and barn yard quasi controlled fed goats and there is a definite difference in flavor. Guess which one tasted better?

*billy goats just stink. any mammal that P's on itself as an sexual attractant is practicing an alternate lifestyle or just has a screw loose. maybe both?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 06-28-2022 at 7:13 AM..
Old 06-28-2022, 7:43 PM

I have Nigerian dwarf goats . They produce kids every 6 months and produce really good milk . I sell the boys and keep the girls . Went from 3 goats to 16 in very little time.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I use the ocean. It’s super low maintenance and always provides.
Boat, maintenance, fuel, insurance, fishing gear etc. Not cheap but are tasty. And for now; available.
Old 06-29-2022, 8:25 AM

We have lots of livestock. Cattle take a lot of land. Raising just one of anything just doesn't work. When you butcher your one animal your herd is gone.

Beef prices are pretty good right now and I have good irrigated pasture and leased BLM land. 2 bulls and 60 cows. We have goats hogs and chickens.

The price of diesel has made pumping water expensive this year. Dry pasture didn't get much total rain but the late storms kept things green longer than I thought.

My goats thrive where a cow will starve to death, hogs are always a pain and Beef tastes better than both of them.

We can process all our on animals.
Old 06-30-2022, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
Boat, maintenance, fuel, insurance, fishing gear etc. Not cheap but are tasty. And for now; available.
I just swim out there and grab whatever I need. Freediving is easy. Nothing fancy required.
Old 06-30-2022, 9:26 AM

We are on 10 acres now. Heavily treed and not ideal for cattle, but we may see about raising a few head. For now we have 21 meat chickens to slaughter next week, plus another 15 egg hens who will be producing soon. Some fruit trees are in and the wife has two garden areas going. She has also been finding all sorts of edibles on our property, including some morels (yum!), as well as dandelions and other stuff.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-30-2022, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
Kayak, Fishing rod and reel might cost $250-$500 used. Great investment. Dont need a fancy boat that takes fuel to catch fish.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:48 PM

Just recently bought 10 chickens (9 now). I plan to add some more once they start laying. I got dual use chickens (Delaware & Barnevelder), so I can get both eggs & meat. Obviously on the meat side I will need to get a rooster and start incubating my own eggs, but I'm worrying about egg production first and then I'll get to meat. I wouldn't describe it as hard, but it is a pain in the but getting started.
Old 07-10-2022, 8:44 PM

At a minimum, get a few chickens. We have a chicken bucket for food that's "leftovers for too long", food that gets dropped on the ground, or whatever else. The chickens convert it to eggs for us, and the retired chickens are turned into dinner.

We have some cows for milk, and their babies go to freezer camp in the fall. We have WAY too much milk, and we can sell some of it, barter some more, and even feed the other animals on the farm with it.

Of course, the things we go through with just these two species... I'm oversimplifying it, but overall, it's worth it.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:03 PM

ive been saying this for a while now.... get some coturnix quail and an incubator.... as long as you have a means to feed them (hi %protien starter for chicks) you will always have eggs and meat.... if your #'s are done right, you wont ever have to worry about food... i run a small hatchery here and we always have plenty of meat birds on stand by... we are at about 3 months food supply but could easily 10x that in a heart beat....

if you havent looked into coturnix quail, i highly suggest them as they are quiet compared to chickens, food bill will be very managable for what they produce, FULLY MARURE in 8 weeks from hatch VS 3-6MONTHS FOR CHICKENS, will lay eggs for up to 2 years daily and can be done in areas where there are restrictions on chickens...

Last edited by flatbedtruckin; 07-11-2022 at 10:06 PM..
Old 07-14-2022, 5:20 PM

I would think rabbits would be easiest if in a smaller space. No noise, simple cages, eat greens. Don't even require a yard like chickens.

I also like the idea of single use size, no refrigeration needed.
Old 07-14-2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedtruckin View Post
if you havent looked into coturnix quail, i highly suggest them as they are quiet compared to chickens, food bill will be very managable for what they produce, FULLY MARURE in 8 weeks from hatch VS 3-6MONTHS FOR CHICKENS, will lay eggs for up to 2 years daily and can be done in areas where there are restrictions on chickens...
Do you have them inside or outdoors? Being small, they can be prey for greater numbers of animals. Also, the idea of plucking them for the tiny amount of meat they have isn't appealing. Those are the main drawbacks that stop me from getting them, but I'm curious as to how you manage this.
Old 07-14-2022, 6:06 PM

i have them both inside ( my utility room) and outside... cages are 1/2" hardware cloth in 2'x8' hutches... hutches are 4 ft off the ground and predators are a non issue.. prolific egg layers , jumbos avg 11-14 oz per bird and are very easy to cull and process ( less than 7 min per bird).. i dont pluck, i just remove the skin with the feathers still on ...way too easy..

yes smaller bird but i will eat 2 in one meal and thats perfect for dinner or a nice hearty lunch...and at the rate they fully mature vs a chicken, its a better value when it comes to feeding them and meat/time ratio than chickens....
Old 07-15-2022, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I just swim out there and grab whatever I need. Freediving is easy. Nothing fancy required.
I've never done the spear-fishing thing, and in an emergency would not be the time to learn . . .but: I would think that if you could make a trip to a water source periodically, setting out crab/lobster traps, Yo-Yo lines, and bank poles for catfish, then fish actively while the other devices work on their own you could significantly add to your healthy calorie intake while also getting healthy scraps to feed pets & guts/carcasses for fertilizer for your garden. 1 - 2 overnight trips a month would probably be enough to significantly boost your long term diet.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartridgeCalls View Post
Kayak, Fishing rod and reel might cost $250-$500 used. Great investment. Dont need a fancy boat that takes fuel to catch fish.
Yes this is typical in my area of OR, though I surf fish. It's a short hike through the dunes from the house.
When the salmon are running it can get quite interesting though I haven't done any of that yet.

Typical action in Coos Bay...
https://youtu.be/tkjmb2pu77Y?t=170
Most of the fishing is tourists and commercial; don't know how that would play out in SHTF, particularly if fuel supplies are interrupted. We locals just hike to the water. Usually it's pretty quiet.
Old 07-22-2022, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wink We buy half a cow each year...

...for the two of us. We don't raise the cow, but more than a few neighbors have them available. We pick the cow, it goes to the butcher, and we get a call from him as to how we'd like the cow cut up.

2-3 weeks later we get a call when the butcher has done his thing and the meat cuts have been frozen. I pick up the frozen meat and that's all.

Non-store bought meat is not USDA inspected. That said, our butcher says that his USDA inspector has seen our beef and noted it's Ruth Chris quality. It definitely tastes like it. Our last purchase 6 or so months ago ran $3/pound finished.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog.
Old 08-09-2022, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well we have chickens, when you have figured in the cost of feed, medicine, the coop, etc it is not cost CV effective.

But for pets, insect control, and the sheer fun of chickens go forit. We average 2eggs A day from our 3 chickens and that is enough.

We do plan to add Quail btw...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939