Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 8:46 PM

Default Can Cannon upper...?

would it be legal to put an unregistered unserealized 80% lower on a can cannon?
being that its a dedicated BLANK gun?

Last edited by Masada11; 01-09-2019 at 9:03 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 8:49 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada11 View Post
would it be legal to put an unregistered unserealized 80% lower on a can cannon?
It is illegal to be in possession of an unregistered unserialized 80% frame.

There is a period at the end of that sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Being that its a dedicated blank gun I don't think it wouldn't be considered a firearm when attached to the Can Cannon.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:10 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Being that its a dedicated blank gun I don't think it wouldn't be considered a firearm when attached to the Can Cannon.
The stripped lower itself is the firearm. That does not change simply because a blank upper is attached.

An AR lower attached to a can cannon is not an AW, but it is still a firearm regardless of whether the upper is a rifle, pistol, can cannon, or crossbow.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
It is illegal to be in possession of an unregistered unserialized 80% frame.

There is a period at the end of that sentence.
This ^

Edit to add:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-...eivers-illegal

Note that the receiver is considered a firearm.

They support free speech - on their terms. They oppose hate - providing they alone are allowed to define hate. They speak for 'the oppressed' - without their consent. Their problem, I suspect, is that they have never seen real suffering or inequality or oppression...

Last edited by SoldierLife7; 01-09-2019 at 9:17 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 9:53 PM

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...09&postcount=5

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-10-2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada11 View Post
How would an unfinished 80% lower fire anything?

Now, if you are talking about a finished receiver. It would have to have a serial #, and registered with DOJ as a firearm.
Old 01-11-2019, 7:02 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
^^^^^
Perfect.
So the only issue is the unserialized/unregistered status of the 80% receiver build... but that is a problem for a person who possessed a functional 80% build anyway.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2019, 7:36 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Quote:
^^^^^
Perfect.
So the only issue is the unserialized/unregistered status of the 80% receiver build... but that is a problem for a person who possessed a functional 80% build anyway.
Post in the link was just edited to reflect changes to CA laws pertaining to self-made firearms.

However, may have to do another update/review of it due to some info being brought up (was "unofficially" talking with a CA DOJ agent about it).
^Could be a change for the bad.
~CA has too many laws, may have missed an obsecure set of laws that could apply to this and change what was originally posted.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-11-2019 at 8:28 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Post in the link was just edited to reflect changes to CA laws pertaining to self-made firearms.

However, may have to do another update/review of it due to some info being brought up (was "unofficially" talking with a CA DOJ agent about it).
^Could be a change for the bad.
~CA has too many laws, may have missed an obsecure set of laws that could apply to this and change what was originally posted.
You want to share or just tease us?

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-11-2019, 8:44 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Give me 24 hours.
Need to run it pass some lawyers.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-11-2019, 8:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
As stated above, OP's problem is with the unserialized, unregistered 80% build.
He had better not be in possession of one in California.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
As stated above, OP's problem is with the unserialized, unregistered 80% build.
He had better not be in possession of one in California.
Yeah but I can't imagine that's what quiet is talking about.

Old 01-11-2019, 9:26 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Yeah but I can't imagine that's what quiet is talking about.
Likely something regarding SBR/SBS/DD status.
But regardless of that, the problem for OP is the lower itself and not whether or not it is attached to a can launcher or just sitting in his safe stripped down.

Quote:
Old 01-12-2019, 3:16 PM
retired Goon

If you have a Can Cannon in CA, immediately unattach it from any functional receiver.
^Does not apply if it is attached to a BATFE approved Title 2 AOW or you are a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit holder.

My appologies for forgetting about how CA unconventional pistol laws impacts the Can Cannon.

Under CA laws, a firearm with a non-rifled barrel that has a barrel length of less than 18" or an overall length of less than 26" is considered an unconventional pistol. [PC 17270]

It is CA illegal (felony) to import, make, transfer, or possess an unconventional pistol in CA. [PC 31500]

BATFE approved Title 2 AOW [PC 17710(a)] and CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit holders [PC 17720, 17725, & 17730(c)] are exempt from CA unconventional pistol laws.

Updated Conclusion:

The Can Cannon upper by itself (unattached) is CA legal.

Installing a Can Cannon upper is only CA legal when attached to a BATFE approved Title 2 AOW or when installed on an AR15 pattern receiver that was registered as a "handgun" by a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit holder for business reasons (make/transfer to Gov/Mil/LE agencies or for use as a prop in the entertainment industry).

It is CA illegal to use it with any type of explosive, incendiary, and tear gas type projectile.

The previous (11-2017) interpretation that it would be CA legal to install on an AR15 pattern receiver that is registered as a "handgun" was incorrect, because doing so would violate CA unconventional pistol laws.

Last edited by Quiet; 01-12-2019 at 3:34 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 3:57 PM

I learned something new--PC 17710(a). Very interesting.