Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2019, 3:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Default CFARS unique serial number request wait time

I am planning on building a CETME. I applied on line to cfars to get my unique serial number for the receiver before I can bend it. Anyone have an idea what I am looking for as far as wait time? This is ridiculous....like a criminal is going to be stopped by DOJ because he doesn't have a serial number. I feel like a fool and a second class citizen having to do this when it can be done with no state intervention in the rest of the USA.
Old 01-28-2019, 5:23 PM

It took me about a month to get my "firearm recorded/approved" status. I got the serial numbers about a week after I sent in. My USNA was for 80%'s
Old 01-28-2019, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

So one week for the serial number? That's what I need to move forward
Old 01-30-2019, 4:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Got it, but now they say I have 30 days to build the gun or the number expires.

The barrel is back ordered for at least 30 days!

If you applied for a unique serial number to manufacture or assemble a firearm, within 10 calendar days of manufacturing or assembling the firearm, you shall engrave, cast, stamp (impress),
or place the unique serial number and additional information in a conspicuous location on the
receiver or frame of your self-manufactured or self-assembled firearm. By the end of the 30th day
from the date of this letter, you must upload four digital images of the firearm clearly depicting the
firearm and its newly engraved serial number to your existing USNA via the CFARS. By uploading
the four digital images to your USNA, you will complete the USNA process.

Serial Number Model Caliber
CETME
Make
US

The following additional information shall be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or permanently placed on the receiver, frame, or barrel:

Please upload the digital images as indicated below to your USNA via your CFARS account:

One clear digital image shall be a close-up image of the engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or permanently placed unique serial number and additional information,which shall be located on the receiver or frame of the firearm. This image shall encompass the entire unique serial number, so the Department can easily read it when it reviews this image.
One clear digital image shall depict the entire side of the firearm. This image shall be photographed horizontally and taken directly from above in a way that captures the entire firearm. The image shall encompass either of the following: If it is a long gun, the image shall capture everything from the end of the barrel to the end of the stock; or

If it is a handgun, the image shall capture the handgun from the point furthest from
the end of the barrel to the opposite end of the handgun; or

If it is a reciever or frame only, the entire firearm shall be depicted.

The other two digital images shall clearly show the left side of the reciever or frame and the right side of the reciever or frame. These locations are typically where firearms are marked when manufacturing is complete.
Please note: The sale or transfer of ownership of a firearm manufactured or assembled pursuant to Penal Code section 29180 is prohibited. However, if you wish to dispose of the firearm or relinquish ownership of the firearm, you may transfer or sell the firearm to a law enforcement agency.
(B)

January 29, 2019

If you fail to engrave, cast, stamp (impress), or permanently place the unique serial number in a conspicuous location on the frame or receiver of your firearm and upload digital images of your
firearm via your CFARS account within the respective statutorily mandated 10 or 30 calender day period, your unique serial number will expire. If you allow your unique serial number to expire, you
must submit a new USNA to be issued a new unique serial number.
Old 04-17-2019, 8:57 AM

Are photos of the unfinished receiver before it's machined/engraved required in the application?
Old 04-21-2019, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes - no. First you get the serial number, than you engrave and submit the pics. Keep it to the receiver only no matter how hard they try to push you off of that. You only need to register the receiver.

The pics you need are f the engraved receiver. They are going to ask you for the whole gun....but you aren't registering a gun.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 04-27-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Old 04-21-2019, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

You basically have 30 days to complete the build and submit the photos. That is going to take planning to have everything ready to go. Sounds like your going to have to reapply for a new number when you are actually ready to build.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Yes
Where does it say before picture are required?

Also, what did you put for “manufactured date” on the application. Seems like a pointless question since it’s not manufactured yet.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:39 PM

I just did it and I put next weekend as the manufacture date. My plan it to register it as a receiver since that means I only need to make minor progress before it is considered a firearm and I don't need to finish the build to register. Hopefully that works.
Old 04-22-2019, 6:07 PM

I’m considering giving this a go myself
Old 05-25-2019, 6:08 AM

Well I apply for my serial number this year I actually this month and I got my serial number 15 days later now it says images and review and that's been going on for about 7-8 days now I don't know what the deal is with the doj. now could somebody answer this question for me I went to my local gun store to purchase a firearm I got denied but yet and still I got a personal background check and it said I'm allowed to possess a firearm so does that mean I can build my own firearms only and can't purchase at gun store
Old 05-25-2019, 6:53 AM

Probably going to wait longer than that. Still waiting over 8 months for my usna. For the denial maybe it was another issue besides your background or on their end.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven45acp View Post
Well I apply for my serial number this year I actually this month and I got my serial number 15 days later now it says images and review and that's been going on for about 7-8 days now I don't know what the deal is with the doj. now could somebody answer this question for me I went to my local gun store to purchase a firearm I got denied but yet and still I got a personal background check and it said I'm allowed to possess a firearm so does that mean I can build my own firearms only and can't purchase at gun store
Denied or delayed? A lot of people confuse this.
Old 06-04-2019, 9:33 PM

Hello people I put my serial number on my firearm on the 15th of last month I sent the pictures in on the 15th of last month can anybody tell me how long it's going to take everything you complete it still says images and reviewed how long do I have to wait and is there anything I can do to speed this up
Old 06-04-2019, 9:39 PM

I still don't understand how I got approved by the state of California in riding I can possess a firearm they sent me a serial number for my 80% lower went to purchase a gun. Denied so now I'm going to have to do a nics appeal tomorrow because I don't think the federal part of the doj has my updated records from what I see on my denial letter so can the gun store hold my gun while I go to the doj appeal process
Old 06-04-2019, 9:57 PM

For denial you probably can own firearms since you got approved for a serial number but you can’t purchase firearms from a dealer. Still waiting for approval for a Doj serial number 8 months. Others have been waiting longer with the reg before July 2018 and still waiting so it all depends now with ammo registration coming July 1st, expect them to take longer.
Old 06-06-2019, 6:50 PM

Feds took my 80% build state says I can have one feds say no