Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 07-16-2022, 8:29 PM

Default States with mail in applications

I'm trying to figure states that have mail in applications that give the most coverage.

I am using uascarry.com to figure out reciprocity.

So Far it seems Arizona and Utah are the best options. With Arizona giving New Mexico and Utah giving Washington state. Otherwise the coverage is the same (both give Nevada for example). Both states have mail in permits with comparable fees for non residents. $63.25 for Utah, and $60 for Arizona. Both require fingerprints with the application package as well as a training course. Arizona will accept DD214s for the training course however.

The other states that I am aware of that accept mail in applications are Florida, Virginia, Maine and New Hampshire.

Florida and Virginia require fingerprints with the application and have similar costs, around $100 in total. Both require a training class but will accept DD214s.
Virginia is already covered, and doesn't give any new states when you have CA, AZ and UT.
Florida only gives itself as it doesn't recognize non resident CCWs and doesn't have reciprocity with CA. Most of the application can be done online but fingerprints need to be taken at a LE office and mailed in with an additional fee.

For some reason New Hampshire and Maine are showing as not honored on the usacarry reciprocity map, despite both states being constitutional carry. Neither state gives any additional state (when combining CA, AZ and UT).

Maine requires a training course (will accept DD214) and has an application fee of $60. It also asks for a copy of your birth certificate or passport along with a passport photo.

New Hampshire only has a $100 application fee with no training or fingerprint requirements.

Finally these are the states (and DC) not covered by any combination of the above permits, that issue non resident permits (per Wikipedia) but require applications in person, training conducted in the state, or picking up the permit in person. Most also only give themselves.

Connecticut
DC
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
South Carolina (requires you to own property in the state)
Rhode Island - Gives Minnesota
Oregon - Only for residents of California, Idaho, Nevada, and Washington.

This would mean these states (and territories) are left

Colorado - Permitless open carry / Vehicle Carry (doesn't have reciprocity with CA, will accept other states resident permits)
Hawaii
Illinois - Only for residents of Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Virginia, but has Vehicle Carry
New York
South Carolina (if you don't own property in the state. There is also no permitless open carry of handguns. It doesn't have reciprocity with CA, but will accept other states resident permits)
All US Territories (IE Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.)

Last edited by CGZ; 08-11-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Old 07-16-2022, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Last I read, Puerto Rico accepts all states permits.

iTrader
Old 07-16-2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Last I read, Puerto Rico accepts all states permits.
Per Wikipedia - Has reciprocity law, but does not recognize any other state permits

Also shows as not honored with above combinations on USCCA and usacarry websites.
Old 07-16-2022, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Here’s some of the links I saw from PR:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...january-1/amp/

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/12/gun...-january-2020/

iTrader
Old 07-17-2022, 10:27 PM

Utah required an instructor approved for Utah IIRC, it can’t just be anyone. I did my Utah and NV together in NV, at the same time, and Utah required the instructor to certify the practical test. Utah classes can be taught in any state, unlike NV.

That may have all changed since I originally got my permit 5 or so years back, but my remembrance is that you can’t just do an online or mail application to Utah for a non-res without the class instruction and shooting test. I let my NV permit expire as I don’t travel to NV that much anymore and having to do the renewal testing in NV is a pain. UT covers NV for reciprocity.

Utah + Florida is still the best combo for 32 states (picking up WA). All the others that allow reciprocity need home-state permitting to carry, e.g. SC, MI, PA, CO, ND. Maine is concarry, but has odd rules about state parks and some other off-limit areas unless you have a Maine permit. NH is true concarry, like Vermont.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:29 PM

Will your Ca or Utah or Arizona CCW be sufficient to show training in Florida?
Old 07-17-2022, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee1 View Post
Will your Ca or Utah or Arizona CCW be sufficient to show training in Florida?
FL requires live fire. If you have your CA CCW course certificate, that will suffice.

iTrader
Old 07-17-2022, 10:43 PM

If you’ve done the NRA basic pistol class, the cert from that also meets FL requirements.
Old 07-21-2022, 8:54 PM

I did a ASDI class a few miles from my home at a hotel and got it a couple months later, good class. You might see when there in your area again.
https://trainasdi.com/
Old 07-22-2022, 11:19 AM

Just a note about Utah’s permitting:

Utah code (U.C.A. 76-10-523, 53-5-704) requires that to apply for a Utah non-resident permit, the applicant needs to acquire a permit in their home state, if reciprocity exists between the two states.

So far, Utah has treated California residents as exempt from that requirement, due to no reciprocity, as seen in this chart:

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firea...-other-states/

Since California has zero reciprocity with other states, it means that the home-state permit rule can not be held against residents of California.

Where things get interesting is if Utah later decides that via the NYSRPA decision that anyone in California (should) be allowed to get a license, if that changes the requirements, and what you may have to go through, here in order to keep or acquire a Utah permit.

I’m not prognosticating anything, but just pointing out that there could be changes if Utah decides that NYSRPA changed the landscape, enough, to warrant Utah revisiting the statute. California is likely to never offer reciprocity until ordered to do so, by a federal court, so who knows if anything will change, but best to be aware.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Rhode Island you can file online. When approved you must pick it up in person for thumbprint and to sign the permit. And you pick up Minnesota in the Reciprocity
Old 07-25-2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE View Post
Rhode Island you can file online. When approved you must pick it up in person for thumbprint and to sign the permit. And you pick up Minnesota in the Reciprocity
I've not been able to find an online application. It seems the application can be made to the Attorney General or a police department, either by mail. From what I've been able to ascertain it's a fairly complex application, requiring three reference letters, notarized documents (police applications appear to require a notary in Rhode Island), your home state permit, etc.

Also if applying to the Attorney General it appears to still be may issue as per this release following NYSRPA v. Bruen: https://riag.ri.gov/bruen_guidance

If you're getting it for Minnesota, the Minnesota non resident application appears much simpler though requires a training course be taken in Minnesota.
Old 07-25-2022, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGZ View Post
I've not been able to find an online application. It seems the application can be made to the Attorney General or a police department, either by mail. From what I've been able to ascertain it's a fairly complex application, requiring three reference letters, notarized documents (police applications appear to require a notary in Rhode Island), your home state permit, etc.

Also if applying to the Attorney General it appears to still be may issue as per this release following NYSRPA v. Bruen: https://riag.ri.gov/bruen_guidance

If you're getting it for Minnesota, the Minnesota non resident application appears much simpler though requires a training course be taken in Minnesota.

I Emailed them they said to file with AG can issue without permits from home state and to do it by mail and provide the following:
3 Notarized references all documents can be done online for $25.
2 forms of identification, signed and dated by a Notary Public;

2 FBI fingerprint cards
2 passport-style photographs;
2 copies of your birth certificate or passport;
Firearms training certificate NRA/FBI firearms instructor

You will need 3 references for other states like CA, NJ, MD., and a few others anyway. I plan on getting Penn $20, RI $40 and Maryland $75 on a road trip there next year my second time traveling around that way.

Last edited by AWE; 07-25-2022 at 9:13 PM..
Old 07-26-2022, 8:02 AM

I've thought about getting the ones I can just to help up their numbers. I did AZ and UT right after my initial CA since the instructor was certified for UT.

ID enhanced I did so I could get MN as my folks lived on the border, but that requires a visit for training/applying and to pickup but I go that way often so no big deal.

I am waiting on OR as I applied about a month ago. Should know within next 2 weeks.

But attached is my current coverage. ND dropping sucked but I have little reason to go through there now that family moved

I suppose I could mail in for FL but that place sucks anyway

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccw_coverage.jpg (20.2 KB, 140 views)