Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-13-2022, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
It sounds like this would open AW Registration in general however. Not just BB conversions. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more since to just go straight AW and be done with it? Maybe it's time to buy that MG-42 I've been holding out on...
I need to decide too, when I open the safe and blow the dust off my old AR. Should I fergetaboutit or make sure its mechanically right and register it as an AW?
Old 01-13-2022, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

This is how we are where we are at now.
Some of you are actually thinking about it.
More and more fall into lock step.
Old 01-13-2022, 7:54 AM

Haha, yeah right. Hand over your expensive rifle to the DOJ when you die. No thanks communists.
Old 01-13-2022, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

Zulu, if someone made an AW between 2001 and 2017 that did not have a BB on it, that was a crime. (Note that the M2 not-rifle-not-pistol category of AW did not exist in 2017)
Old 01-13-2022, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa zulu View Post
Are non-bullet button (ie, standard magazine release) lower receivers that were purchased before 2017, and were attempted but failed to be registered due to the CADOJ's website problems, also eligible to be registered during this new 3-month window starting 1/13/2022?

Or is it only pre-2017 ARs with bullet buttons installed?

I keep reading references to the "BBAW" registration, but unless I'm missing it, nothing in the DOJ's website states that the "AW" must have a bullet button. Only that it must have been owned prior to 2017, qualifies as an AW according to DOJ's definition, and had been attempted (but failed, due to DOJ's technical web problems) to be registered prior to the 7/1/2018 deadline.

So, what prevents non BB rifles legally purchased prior to 2017 and meeting the other attempted-registration requirements from also now being registered?

Thanks for any clarity on this.

I think it's only the BBAW. They are re-opening it because they screwed up the BBAW registration with a broken website. The normal AW there was no such broken website problem.
Old 01-13-2022, 9:46 AM

Not only no, but HELL no. Eff newsom and Eff california gun registration.

That's right, spellcheck... with a small c.

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 01-13-2022, 1:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa zulu View Post
I keep reading references to the "BBAW" registration, but unless I'm missing it, nothing in the DOJ's website states that the "AW" must have a bullet button. Only that it must have been owned prior to 2017, qualifies as an AW according to DOJ's definition, and had been attempted (but failed, due to DOJ's technical web problems) to be registered prior to the 7/1/2018 deadline.

So, what prevents non BB rifles legally purchased prior to 2017 and meeting the other attempted-registration requirements from also now being registered?

Thanks for any clarity on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
Zulu, if someone made an AW between 2001 and 2017 that did not have a BB on it, that was a crime. (Note that the M2 not-rifle-not-pistol category of AW did not exist in 2017)
Right.

To have been legal, must either
- have had the BB and 'features'
or
- been 'featureless', no BB

(I have heard of some featureless rifles also having a BB, but I think that weird - most of the point of featureless rifles was/is using a standard mag release and using > 10 round mags).

'Featureless' does not meet the definition for 'assault weapon' (as the law is in 2022 and has been for a while) and so cannot be registered as an AW in that state. And, cannot now change it to AW configuration, as that is illegally manufacturing an AW.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Consider Samizdat; consider some reading material, such as this and that.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-13-2022, 5:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
This is how we are where we are at now.
Some of you are actually thinking about it.
More and more fall into lock step.
Does the registration paperwork include a mask and vaccination?
Old 01-13-2022, 7:01 PM

Default Registration

As i already have a hk 911 registered in Ka. in 2000 i was brave enough to go through the process today.

Only thing i could not do was to provide the guy i traded the gun from name and address and such.

I did not keep the info from 2014. Was DROS’ed then

Checked the spots for pistol grip, flame arrester, telescopic stock, forward grip

My understanding is that there is a form to remove the BBAW from the weapon and go to featureless
Old 01-13-2022, 8:50 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-cal View Post
Haha, yeah right. Hand over your expensive rifle $45 Anderson lower to the DOJ when you die. No thanks communists.
Fixed it for you

Old 01-13-2022, 10:37 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Even the mail in form says that submission of pictures is required and there is verbiage that incomplete applications will be returned to you. IIRC, there is nothing about pictures in the PC, and a number of registrants told them to pound sand when they asked for pictures.
Old 01-14-2022, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMBSTONE View Post
This is all waste of time and done similarly to the 2000 AW registration , which lets the Ca DOJ know what you have.
At least with that one all we had to do was send in a form and it was done. None of this picture nonsense on webpage that didn't work well at all.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-15-2022, 7:27 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Has anybody yet figured out that you cannot comply your way out of tyranny?

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 01-15-2022, 10:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
Wow I was envisioning a bunch of 10-12 year olds lining up with their Daisy's.
Not yet.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:12 AM

In my opinion ANYONE who actually goes through with this crap is mentally deficient.

Learn to go featureless,not a big deal! AND if you decide to sell your rifle you don't have to 'de-register it'.

OR,OR, Just install one of those crazy mag release systems where you have to crack open the action/receiver halves(AR) or install one of those hex mags into your AR or AK and you can still have all your slidy stocks,flashy hiders, forward grabbers,etc. Your barbie for men accessories are all safe.

I just dont get the thinking processes of firearms owners that would go down the BB aw registration rabbit hole....and include pictures(so they know EXACTLY what they want to grab from you ) as well as a completely stupid and retarded thought process.-NEVER GO FULL RETARD PEOPLE!

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 01-16-2022, 6:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Apparently not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Has anybody yet figured out that you cannot comply your way out of tyranny?

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 01-16-2022, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
Wow I was envisioning a bunch of 10-12 year olds lining up with their Daisy's.
LOL, that is what I thought at first glance as well.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-16-2022 at 5:08 PM..
Old 01-16-2022, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
They already know what you have from the 4773s they aren't allowed to keep
This is why people's criticism of those who did this doesn't hold up. If it was purchased in the past decade, they know not only that is is a long gun but also what make and model. They changed the DROS process a while back so that just like with handguns the make and model get recorded into a state database. So what difference does make if you tell them yours has a bullet button instead of a grip fin? That's basically all this new registration list does. That and apply some transport and age restrictions on who can use it. It does not make potential confiscation any easier. They know you have it either way. If they're gonna come for ya...they're gonna come for ya. One more list is not going to make a difference. This is about perception and tax collection more than anything else. They want to look like they are doing something to their base...which has no idea what "featureless" means or that these guns were not actually banned in any real or meaningful way. Their base thinks these things are now off the streets when in fact they are available for sale in every gun store in the state. Their base does not bother to follow up on the results of the laws the pass. So they just have to look like their doing something. Not actually do it.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 01-16-2022 at 5:07 PM..
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM

These clowns are talking a big game about how this registration period is limited to those who "attempted to register the firearm(s) before July 1, 2018, but were unable to due to technical difficulties, that they attempt to verify this, and how false statements would subject the affiant to charges for perjury, possession of an unregistered assault weapon, etc. etc.

What technical means do they have at their disposal to verify this?

I understand it's not fair to Monday-morning quarterback settlement negotiations, but this limitation seems like it was crafted just for the sake of the DOJ swinging their units around. It's actually rather myopic on their part - if the number of registrations was low but the idea was to maximize the number of registrants, the better path may have been to open the registration window for all. Sure, that might be going beyond the wording of the law, but isn't this extension for "technical difficulties" just as much outside the confines of the statute?

The way their whole page is worded, it almost seems like a dare - if you dare try re-submitting your registration again, we're going to shove a probe so deep up your a&& and bring down the hammer of the prosecutorial powers of the California, that you're going to wish you went featureless. I guess in some sense, it meets their objective because when nobody (or very few) re-submissions happen, they can claim that there really were no technical difficulties, and of to the extent there was, it was overblown by the gun-owning public.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.

Last edited by SamsDX; 01-17-2022 at 1:04 PM..
Old 01-17-2022, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsDX View Post
the idea was to maximize the number of registrants
The idea was never to maximize the number of newly minted Assault Weapons[sic]

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 01-17-2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
The idea was never to maximize the number of newly minted Assault Weapons[sic]
As opposed to now illegal, unregistered ones?

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 01-17-2022, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
As opposed to now illegal, unregistered ones?
The legislature was forced into re-opening the AW registry. The DoJ's job was to make it either very difficult or undesirable for people to register.

Obviously, the more every day gunowners turn into felons (through no fault of their own), the better for the DoJ.

They'd love to lock up all gun owners.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 01-17-2022, 8:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

SamsDX

The settlement was to get DOJ to even do this and to bury their face in their IT screwup(s) -
worse than the Obamacare website issues.

CA DOJ has had IT issues with AW and registry for years. Even DROSd handguns purchased some
time ago have not shown up in AFS 1-2 yrs after purchase, when a dude would be stopped in traffic
and numbers run - leading to issues with cops. [Many cops are also sadly under the impression that
"all guns need to be reg'd" and do not understand the cutoff dates, long gun vs handgun cutoff dates,
or that we Olde Farts legally have (pre-91) unpapered handguns and rifles.

Showing DOJ pattern & practice has value in future litigation and criminal defenses too. Remember,
also, this was after an EXTENSION of the reg window so many people are having problems - so it's
now the "2nd fix".

1. If you sincerely tried to register before the June 31 2018 cutoff date (even after extension),
    and your gun/receiver is dated before end of 2016 you'll be OK, esp if you had screen grabs of D
    OJ IT failures/errors. Sincere re-filing of an otherwise properly situated gun will not bring issues.

It would be really fun to defend felony charges/gun seizures of someone legitimately situated
    who re-filed on the THIRD go-around.

For most situations there's a lotta reasonable doubt floating around unless actual records countermand
    statements placed on registration form.
  2. In theory, your gun shoulda been fully assembled with BB before end of 2016 (and not just a box
    o'parts). It certainly should've been DROSd (or personal importer reg'd) before that date - and not after!!
  3. If your receiver or gun is was DROSed in 2017 or later, you're NO GO. Do NOT even try to do a BBAW
    re-reg: just ensure you are 'featureless' or fixed mag and call it a day.
  4. DROS info of pre-2014 for rifles/receivers in theory doesn't exist, but it will at FFL level (paperwork & 4473)
    and likely audit trail on DOJ computer system with some minor detail ("Joe bought N long guns"). But that is,
    on its face, helpful to support pre-12/31/206 assertion.
  5. If you moved into CA pre-2014 with a (presumably legal) rifle or rcvr, you did not have to register long guns
    as 'personal importer' [unlike the 1998 date for move-in 'personal importer' of handguns].
  6. DOJ will have to do a lot to prove malfeasance and only the stupid will have issues because, outside of some
    cutoff dates.

[Don't be 'That Guy' that comes home from the Reno gunshow w/hicap mags & a VISA receipt and leaves them on his dresser,
while his house was raided for controversial-but-legal gun. No charges were filed, but we couldn't get the gun back because if
we'd win on one, they'd win on the other. Sigh.]

Quote:
These clowns are talking a big game about how this registration period is limited to those who "attempted to register the firearm(s) before July 1, 2018, but were unable to due to technical difficulties, that they attempt to verify this, and how false statements would subject the affiant to charges for perjury, possession of an unregistered assault weapon, etc. etc.

What technical means do they have at their disposal to verify this?

I understand it's not fair to Monday-morning quarterback settlement negotiations, but this limitation seems like it was crafted just for the sake of the DOJ swinging their units around. I

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 01-17-2022 at 8:45 PM..
Old 01-19-2022, 2:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
Maybe it's time to buy that MG-42 I've been holding out on...
Do it now and make it featureless: grip fin and mod the flash hider so its no longer a flash hider...

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 01-19-2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
Do it now and make it featureless: grip fin and mod the flash hider so its no longer a flash hider...

T
I went featureless with my SCAR-17 simply so I could ignore all this CA DOJ BS. The Thordsen stock is a perfectly fine adaptation and doesn’t affect my ability to shoot it accurately or enjoy shooting it. A bonus of going featureless is I could delete the stupid BB. Someday I may leave CA permanently, especially if this insane new tax increase is passed into law, and I have all the parts to return it to factory spec. In the mean time it still quite accurately throws lead out the front every time I pull the trigger.
Old 01-19-2022, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahua69 View Post
Telling an oppressive, corrupt, and neo-socialist California government exactly what weapons you have, in detail, with photographs, might be the dumbest thing you can possibly do. They're talking about putting unvaxxed in camps. What do you think they're going to do to scary, orange-man AR owners in a few years? Wake up and smell the tyranny. We no longer have any safety in numbers.

Eventually, and soon, they will come for all registered guns, AW or not. The state is whipping up racial and class tensions in an attempt to provoke enough violence to declare martial law, at which time they will invoke a confiscation order. What happens next is anyone's guess. But if we fail to defend ourselves, our property is as good as gone to the "oppressed" You know, the ones now shoplifting from the oppressors like Home Depot and Coach.....

Its coming. Not hard to see which way the wind is blowing. Any cop willing to support people who hate him is an idiot too I might add. They will hang cops right after they are done with 2A supporters.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 01-20-2022 at 9:17 AM..
Old 01-19-2022, 11:13 PM

Would anyone even risk registering a self built 80% BB AR pistol or rifle that had been personally engraved at this point? Who would trust these scumbags to not just come and confiscate them.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
Who would trust these scumbags to not just come and confiscate them.
Biden supporters. Young dreamers.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

It's a trap
Old 01-20-2022, 3:38 PM

Can i buy ar now and put bullet button on it?
Old 01-20-2022, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

This remains one of the dumbest settlements ever. It's basically saying that the CA DOJ will continue to take names of Jews in the neighborhood, even though you had to register as a Jew years ago. They admitted that their system for registering Jews wasn't the best, that's the win. What a sad, pathetic, "win."

Ray Charles can see how that ends.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 01-20-2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faris1984 View Post
Can i buy ar now and put bullet button on it?
absolutely not
Old 01-21-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
absolutely not
Thanks for replying my question, I regret that I sold my BB ar15.