Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
And if you get to thinking 'Well, when is old Librarian gonna get to [my favorite case]?' you can account for my getting distracted or lazy.

You can see the format and the needed info - write your own post and put it here, and I'll collect it and add it to the locked thread, possibly with some minor editing.

You, too, can become part of the Calguns Legacy!
Awesome. Thank you for the effort.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:54 AM

Fantastic effort! Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
And if you get to thinking 'Well, when is old Librarian gonna get to [my favorite case]?' you can account for my getting distracted or lazy.

You can see the format and the needed info - write your own post and put it here, and I'll collect it and add it to the locked thread, possibly with some minor editing.

You, too, can become part of the Calguns Legacy!
First draft looks excellent. Thanks for putting in the work!

What about adding a line with a brief summary of the current state of affairs? For example, for Rhode, the latest shows: "The motion to stay the district court's January 30, 2024 permanent injunction and judgment (Docket Entry No. 4) is granted." This can be confusing to those who are not in the weeds on the procedural posture. I think CGers would find it helpful to see a clear statement on the impact (e.g., "Ammunition purchases continue to require background checks and must go through FFL.").
Old 02-23-2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post
Fantastic effort! Thanks.
+1; thx for your efforts, librarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
You have not been here long enough to see how low they can really go.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:01 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieDoo View Post
First draft looks excellent. Thanks for putting in the work!

What about adding a line with a brief summary of the current state of affairs? For example, for Rhode, the latest shows: "The motion to stay the district court's January 30, 2024 permanent injunction and judgment (Docket Entry No. 4) is granted." This can be confusing to those who are not in the weeds on the procedural posture. I think CGers would find it helpful to see a clear statement on the impact (e.g., "Ammunition purchases continue to require background checks and must go through FFL.").
Some might be relatively easy to summarize that way, but look at May:
Quote:
HEREBY PRELIMINARILY RESTRAINED AND ENJOINED from implementing or enforcing California Penal Code ? 26230(a)(7), (8), (9), (10), (11), (12), (13), (15), (16), (17), (19), (20), (22), (23), and (26) against any individuals with permits to carry a concealed weapon issued under California Penal Code sections 26150 or 26155. They are also PRELIMINARILY RESTRAINED AND ENJOINED from implementing or enforcing California Penal Code ? 26230 as it pertains to parking areas.
Without knowing exactly what those Penal Code sections say, the ruling is kind of opaque.

My inclination is to leave that to the linked discussion threads. However, historically, a few days after a major development in a CA case, CRPA emits an analysis; I could probably link to those announcements, as they are better than anything I could do myself.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 02-23-2024 at 10:05 PM..
Old 02-24-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
My inclination is to leave that to the linked discussion threads. However, historically, a few days after a major development in a CA case, CRPA emits an analysis; I could probably link to those announcements, as they are better than anything I could do myself.
Makes sense. Thanks for taking on this task!
Old 02-24-2024, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

This might constitute a very annoying suggestion, but would sorting the posts by alphabetical order help? I suppose many people do not know the case names.
Old 02-24-2024, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostHeaven View Post
This might constitute a very annoying suggestion, but would sorting the posts by alphabetical order help? I suppose many people do not know the case names.
Software won't allow that - order of posts is time-based, and as I noted in the thread, can't move them around.

Thus my suggestion to use a text search either directly (on a page of posts, which I have set to the current max of 50, but other settings may be lower) or 'search this thread'.

I'm up for adding more to the keywords line, happy to take suggestions.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 02-24-2024, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Software won't allow that - order of posts is time-based, and as I noted in the thread, can't move them around.

Thus my suggestion to use a text search either directly (on a page of posts, which I have set to the current max of 50, but other settings may be lower) or 'search this thread'.

I'm up for adding more to the keywords line, happy to take suggestions.

I guess you could use the edit function to copy/paste one post into another. If for some reason you want to reorder the posts, that might work.
If you do try it, make a test in a different thread, first. Don't want to screw up the work you have already done.

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"
"Once is Happenstance, Twice is Coincidence, Thrice is Enemy Action"
"The flak is always heaviest, when you're over the target"

Last edited by Sgt Raven; 02-24-2024 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-26-2024, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

From the 2019 Fouts/Tolentino v Becerra thread:

Quote:
NOTICE OF APPEAL to the 9th Circuit as to 87 Clerk's Judgment,, 86 Order by Rob Bonta. ( Filing fee $ 605 receipt number ACASDC-18618360.) (Notice of Appeal electronically transmitted to US Court of Appeals.) (Attachments: # 1 Representation Statement)(Echeverria, John) (Entered: 02/26/2024)

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"
Old 03-03-2024, 8:55 AM

I realize it would be a bit of work for you, But a plain english summary of what the current status of the case actually means would be really useful. I have found myself digging through 20 pages of threads trying to figure out where we are with things. Something like "currently legal to posses and use preban and freedom week LCM's. Illegal to buy, sell, transfer, manufacture or import LCM's"
Old 03-03-2024, 5:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
I realize it would be a bit of work for you, But a plain english summary of what the current status of the case actually means would be really useful. I have found myself digging through 20 pages of threads trying to figure out where we are with things. Something like "currently legal to posses and use preban and freedom week LCM's. Illegal to buy, sell, transfer, manufacture or import LCM's"
For this, I recommend subscribing to CRPA emails; at least for California, they have a strong reputational motivation for accuracy, and give longer explanations.

Eventually someone copies such communications to appropriate threads on the cases.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-08-2024, 10:35 AM

I see the stickys THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS. If it's possible it would be great to get one on the CA ROSTER. Apologies if there is already one done and I missed it.

LA
Livescan completed and cleared: 8/22
Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/8/22
Proceed to training email: 10/17/22
Sent training docs in: 10/17/22
Training doc received: 10/19/22
Call For Pick UP: 11/22/22
Picked up: 11/29/22
Old 03-08-2024, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA123 View Post
I see the stickys THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS. If it's possible it would be great to get one on the CA ROSTER. Apologies if there is already one done and I missed it.

LA
There are two:

Renna v Bonta, https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1665656
and
Boland v Bonta, https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1810709

Just added both to the sticky.

On that note, I'm experiencing the forum behavior just like everyone else. To successfully edit that thread requires the conjunction of the occasional good performance here and the time/energy to do it.

I'm pretty sure the internal Calguns thread links won't work on the new system, so I'll have to manually redo those, but seems likely that will not be a problem then.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-09-2024, 2:29 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Mr. Libarian,

Thank you for doing this. It makes it so much easier to keep up with the latest judicial activity.

-P
Old 03-22-2024, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Librarian, I found a resource that tracks Second Amendment cases at the appeals court level. Unfortunately, this misses the district court challenges, but the list should still provide useful information.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1906768
Old 03-26-2024, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Update for the pinned thread:
Boland got hit with the same order as Renna.

DILLIGAF
Old 03-27-2024, 6:36 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the updates, please continue to post them.

I don't see everything, though I do catch a few on my own.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-01-2024, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

"Next event: oral arguments March 19, 2024"

It is April 1st....

I want to thank you for doing it - very useful. That is said - I think that a wiki is much better format for this. I understand that we do not have one per se, but it is not that difficult to set one up also.

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 04-01-2024, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post

It is April 1st....

I want to thank you for doing it - very useful. That is said - I think that a wiki is much better format for this. I understand that we do not have one per se, but it is not that difficult to set one up also.
There are honestly too many Second Amendment cases to realistically keep a unified source continuously updated.
Old 04-01-2024, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post

It is April 1st....

Since nothing else is scheduled for Duncan - after oral arguments comes the next opinion, which is between now and forever - I don't quite get your comment.

As to a wiki, well, we had one but it didn't cover court cases particularly well; I lost write access to it after our 2015 'meltdown' and now it exists only in the Internet Archive.

It was a major problem to keep spammers from wrecking it, (at peak, I was spending about an hour every frickin' day fixing it) until the actual owner hired a programmer to lock down the wiki with write access to just a couple people.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-02-2024, 9:53 AM

Librarian, we appreciate all you do for us!
Old 04-02-2024, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if Calguns may acquire new features after the upgrade to vBulletin 6 that enables the creation of a locked Wiki.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:14 AM

I will say that it's nice to be able to look at that locked thread, and if it is not bold, I know that nothing especially nifty or terrible happened.
Old 04-08-2024, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
I will say that it's nice to be able to look at that locked thread, and if it is not bold, I know that nothing especially nifty or terrible happened.
Post edits do not mark threads as unread, so this strategy does not work. If an already-listed case receives a major update, the title will not turn bold.
Old 04-08-2024, 4:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostHeaven View Post
Post edits do not mark threads as unread, so this strategy does not work. If an already-listed case receives a major update, the title will not turn bold.
Truth.

However, such updates should appear as new posts in the actual case threads - pretty much how I learn about them! - and those should indicate new stuff. How quickly I can update that summary thread is variable.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-09-2024, 4:00 AM
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Truth.

However, such updates should appear as new posts in the actual case threads - pretty much how I learn about them! - and those should indicate new stuff. How quickly I can update that summary thread is variable.
No worries. When major litigation movement occurs, I bet everyone has trouble keeping up with the explosion in forum activity and duplicate threads.