Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Default My idea of the Perfect Mini-14...the project continues.

(Disclamer: This is not a Mini is better than AR15 or AK47 platform thread. I have two AR15s, one AK, a Mini-30, and a Mini-14! It is merely my opinion of what I think is the perfect Mini-14)

The current Mini-14 Tactical Models are close to my idea of the "Perfect" Mini. Problem is, they are 1/9 twist, not 1/7 (like the Mid-80 to 90-s Minis) so do not get the most out of the 5.56 MK262 MOD1 77 grainers. I like their sights, and they take Ruger rings, so you don't need scout mount or wobbly side plate mount. Also the current tacticals are only 16" barrels. The 18 inch barrels really maximizes the 77s, or 55s for that matter.

There are old GB models out there that come close with 1/7 barrels and thread with good sights. They limit you to scout mounts or side-plate mounts, which as a rule do not hold zero.

With this in mind, after going through several Minis, I have decide to create my "perfect Mini".

More pics to come.

Requirements:

1) Stainless steel construction

2). 1/7 twist for MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs

3) Ability to use quick release Ruger factory type scope rings like current 580 series

4). adjustable rear ghost ring sight.

5). Post and wing front sight (M1/M16 style).

6). Poly stock (though wood with a wood handguard is sexier)

I started with a 1989 vintage Ruger Ranch rifle, as it has the ability to take scopes and has a 1/7 twist barrel.

The mile high front blade sight had to go, as did the stupid folding leaf rear. Initially I used a post and wing front sight cut from a Choate fronyt sight/flash hider combo, and a Tech Sight ghost ring rear.

Most of the way there. I have now added a Accustrut "Socom" single clamp strut to give the barrel a tad more stability for shooting distance with a scope. Without the strut, I can break clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm from a rest with iron sights, so it has practicl accuracy. As for the front sight, I did locate a factory .562 ID 580 series front sight that I am going to use. I am also going to thread the barrel 9/16x24 the same as the original Mini-14 GB models were, and add a brake. I have a nice A2 style muzzle brake (actual brake) that is threaded 1/2x28 that I am going to hog out and thread 9/16x24. Finally I also have a poly stock on the way.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-14-2021 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-14-2021, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

OK. Another Mini-Me mod project. Nice anti flack disclaimer.

Might I suggest a gas bushing swap? Start small and open it up with drill bits as needed. I don't have to say that it's removal is required to do this. Right?
It sure keeps empties out of low orbit. Cycles smoother too.

Mini-Me rifles are great for their design purpose. You'll get no grief from me on this.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-14-2021, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
OK. Another Mini-Me mod project. Nice anti flack disclaimer.

Might I suggest a gas bushing swap? Start small and open it up with drill bits as needed. I don't have to say that it's removal is required to do this. Right?
It sure keeps empties out of low orbit. Cycles smoother too.

Mini-Me rifles are great for their design purpose. You'll get no grief from me on this.
Thanks! Minis are over gassed like AKs. As a result, it cycles ANYTHING! I had some 4298 5.56 reloads that would not cycle in my ARs, but the Mini gobbled them up. I have used smaller bushings on earlier Minis, but for now I am, running this one wide open so I can feed it anything...
Old 09-14-2021, 3:32 PM

That's one of the beautiful things about the mini - the overgasing. Like imarangemaster said, it cycles anything!

The strut is real nice for the pencil barrels, from what I've heard. They look sweet too! Add a pic soon!

I also have the tech sight rear iron on mine - love it. A huge improvement over factory.
Old 09-14-2021, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
Thanks! Minis are over gassed like AKs. As a result, it cycles ANYTHING! I had some 4298 5.56 reloads that would not cycle in my ARs, but the Mini gobbled them up. I have used smaller bushings on earlier Minis, but for now I am, running this one wide open so I can feed it anything...
Not suggesting you make the thing unreliable. Just saying you can keep the reliability and slow down the bolt speed enough so locating empties is less of an Easter egg hunt.

Going small and sneaking up on the sweet spot will pay dividends. Just buy the smallest and work it as needed. .045 is a great place to start for wolf/pmc.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-14-2021, 3:54 PM

Accuracy Systems, the same guys that make the original struts, also make a nice adjustable gas block. Saves time removing the thing and changing bushings a bunch... plus you could crank the gas back wide open if you get some troublesome ammo.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
Accuracy Systems, the same guys that make the original struts, also make a nice adjustable gas block. Saves time removing the thing and changing bushings a bunch... plus you could crank the gas back wide open if you get some troublesome ammo.
There’s not much troublesome ammunition with Minis. Only troublesome magazines.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
There’s not much troublesome ammunition with Minis. Only troublesome magazines.
Preach it, brother! I've had some real bad luck with mags.

I was more or less saying if he dialed the gas down to not throw brass 30 feet away...
Old 09-14-2021, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Finding magazines that your Mini likes is kind of like finding .22LR ammunition that your Sig Mosquito likes. It takes time and money, time and money.
Old 09-14-2021, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Other than my old pre-ban USA and Bingham 40s, I only use Ruger factory 10s, 20s, and 30s. I already had a bunch of them from my LEO days when IU carried a Mini as my patrol carbine, and topped off my supply during 2019 "Freedom Week."

If you run a glass, dialing down with smaller bushings is a good idea. I do run front and rear buffers. That also helps keep from beating up optics.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-14-2021 at 4:18 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Other than my old pre-ban USA and Bingham 40s, I only use Ruger factory 10s, 20s, and 30s. I already had a bunch of them from my LEO days when IU carried a Mini as my patrol carbine, and topped off my supply during 2019 "Freedom Week."

If you run a glass, dialing down with smaller bushings is a good idea. I do run front and rear buffers. That also helps keep from beating up optics.
Mine seems to eat buffers like it's never been fed before! I use the WC blue 1911 ones... but they always get chewed up usually within a range day or two. So far, my el-cheapo RDS (AT3) has held zero and not died, but tomorrow may be the day. I've got it mounted on a Ultimak rail, which I love.

The factory 20's seem to be the best "out of the box" for me, although with some finessing you can get most to run fairly well. I've had to bend and polish feed lips on nearly all of my mags, but eventually they start to cooperate. This discussion has been had over and over, but it's a crying shame the mags are responsible for practically 99% of failures on the mini... it's an otherwise wonderful rifle.

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 09-14-2021 at 4:30 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Over the years I have carried/used/shot Minis (starting in 1982), I have NEVER had a malfunction from a factory 20, no matter what I shoot. Second is the factory 30s. They run about 100% (maybe 99.9%) with Brass cased, but do not like steel case Russian for the first few rounds.

I have 9 Ruger factory 20 rounders for my "go to" load. I use a re-pop Rhodesian Fereday chest pouch that holds 8 of the Mini-14 or Mini-30 twenty rounders.

For the 30s, I have an old 1980s vintage Galati Int. 6-pack shoulder bag or LBV with 6 single taco pouches. The 186 pictured was my first effort at the perfect mini. It had 1/7 barrel, the 580 sight, and threaded 1/2x28 for flash hiders and breaks. The problem was, it would not take the standard Ruger scope rings.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-14-2021 at 4:49 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

i have a bunch of thermold magazines dated 1986 and 1989 they work great
Old 09-15-2021, 4:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Original Equipment brand 20 round straight magazines work perfectly in my series 185 Mini-14 as do their 10 round magazines (although I don't need those anymore). CDNN in Texas has the OE magazines on an irregular basis.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 09-15-2021, 7:08 AM

Good on your for the project.

=

I've been using factory 5 and 1 round mags, never a problem and many years before factory mags in 20 and 30 never failed either or it was so rare because of their high count rate. While factory mags might cost more than aftermarket not so when you figure out that just getting them and having them work is better than having a bucket full of mags that are hit or miss. I've found that even minimum maintenance keeps the mini running perfectly and rust free - including the mags.

A backup on the Accuracy Systems, they are tops for CS.

I've been shooting subs and supers in my 300 BLKOUT and not one misfeed, FTE FTF or anything even close. It just eats any ammo I stuff into the mags. That is the nice thing about Minis, they just work without any fussing around. Understand what it is and why it is and then all the worrying about trying to create a creampuff goes away.

I'm looking for another 300 BLKOUT but they seem hard to find in stock ready to buy. Lobbing those heavy subs is pure fun. Shoot a bunch of lighter bullets and then switch to subs and you'll know one reason 300 BLKOUT is such a joy to shoot.
You can have it one way or the other; you can have it both ways; you can have it every way but not always.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:45 AM

Since this is a Mini 14 slobberfest I'll keep my "lipstick on a pig" comments to myself.

This is my Accuracy Systems Mini 14 with an adjustable gas block, 18" 223 Wylde 1-8 twist barrel, trigger upgrade, etc. I tested with a bunch of 77gr 5.56/223 and it seems to like Fiocchi 77gr SMK. 1-1.25 MOA and consistent hits out to 400 yards.

Wasn't cheap and in hindsight I probably wouldn't do it again, but what's the point of inaccurate rifles.

Old 09-15-2021, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine is as accurate as I am with iron sights at my age. It prefers 68 gr BTHPs

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 09-15-2021, 2:59 PM

Ima: I think you are close but the one glaring weak point is the sling.

You need to figure out how to do a Side Mounted Sling. It will allow you to carry any of the 4 different carry options. Cross Body the most preferred.

Here's a pic of mine so you can cogitate on it. you've seen my other pics on this subject so I won't clog up the thread with them, but note: How the gun hangs flat. This is key to the gun hanging off you in the most comfortable manner possible

Also look at Sandog's Side Mounted Slings on his guns.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464199.JPG (90.0 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg 100464200.jpg (39.0 KB, 430 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-16-2021 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-15-2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Ima: I think you are close but the one glaring weak point is the sling.

You need to figure out how to do a Side Mounted Sling. It will allow you to carry any of the 4 different carry options. Cross Body the most preferred.

Here's a pic of mine so you can cogitate on it. you've seen my other pics on this subject so I won't clog up teh thread with them.

Also look at Sandog's Side Mounted Slings on his guns.

Randy

Looks like a Specter Gear sling? They make nice options for the mini, including the side mounted like this, my fave.
Old 09-15-2021, 4:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i love that john mason butt extension used to love his tables at the big reno show
Old 09-15-2021, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's mine. Has Meprolight night sight front sight, Choate handguard, metal butt plate from Numrich, M1 Carbine mag pouch with two factory 5 rnd mags, and leather sling. With 10 round mag instead of 20rnd it will fit in M1 Garand's leather scabbard.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini 14.jpg (101.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Next step done: Socom Strut and 580 front sight installed. Lots of room to thread 9/16x24. Shown with Choate front sight that I took off for comparison. I used the barrel groove for the factory roll pin, which allowed lots of threading room. I had to deepen the groove a bit with an 1/8" round file.

Still waiting on tap and die, and poly stock.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-16-2021 at 8:48 AM..
Old 09-16-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
Looks like a Specter Gear sling? They make nice options for the mini, including the side mounted like this, my fave.
Actually that is one of my BPM Slings.

The idea for the Front and Rear Attachments came from a Blue Force Sling I copied. This gun has had that sling on it since 2006. The gun has been to no less than 5 Front Sight Rifle Classes, so I know it works. It was my first iteration of this concept. Now I use Grov-Tec Screw in Sockets for QD Push Button Sling Swivels.

I sell the Slings made from 1.5" Nylon Belt Material on my Website, I have one on virtually every modern gun I own including all my Tactical Shotguns. All are side mounted. Same sling works on all styles of long guns.

Side Mounting is the only way to mount a sling as it allows for all forms of carry and keeps the gun laying flat against you so the magazine isn't constantly poking you.

If they didn't work perfectly I wouldn't be using them !!!

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100465062.jpg (28.2 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg 100464119.jpg (55.8 KB, 381 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-16-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-16-2021, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

scrapped

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-17-2021 at 6:26 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Im not happy with a 9/16 thread. No compact brakes that I like in that thread. Started over and turned the barrel down to 1/2", then threaded it 1/2x28. More pics tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2021, 8:15 PM

Has anyone tried or seen the front sights by Cogburn Arsenal?
The H&K style sight looks interesting. They're metal 3D printed.

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product-category/sights/

Their magazine releases look pretty cool too.

https://cogburnarsenal.com/product-c...azine-release/

Last edited by CamW; 09-16-2021 at 8:24 PM..
Old 09-17-2021, 7:57 AM

IMA: it doesn't look like you got the die started strait.

You need to turn the barrel to the major Dia. for whatever threads you want.

Put a chamfer on the front that is bigger than the minor dia of the thread.

Put the die against the chamfer on the barrel so that the starting threads are covering the chamfer on the barrel.

Then Pin the Die against the threads with the front face of your drill chuck with the jaws completely retracted.

The front face of your drill chuck should be square to the Center Line of the Spindle so that should guarantee that your threads get started Strait.

If all else fails cut the buggered section of the barrel off and single point the the beginning of the thread which will insure that your threads are square and then finish them with the die. You need to take a few shallow passes to insure that you have the thread established enough so the die will follow it.

Hope this helps

Randy

Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IMA: it doesn't look like you got the die started strait.

You need to turn the barrel to the major Dia. for whatever threads you want.

Put a chamfer on the front that is bigger than the minor dia of the thread.

Put the die against the chamfer on the barrel so that the starting threads are covering the chamfer on the barrel.

Then Pin the Die against the threads with the front face of your drill chuck with the jaws completely retracted.

The front face of your drill chuck should be square to the Center Line of the Spindle so that should guarantee that your threads get started Strait.

If all else fails cut the buggered section of the barrel off and single point the the beginning of the thread which will insure that your threads are square and then finish them with the die. You need to take a few shallow passes to insure that you have the thread established enough so the die will follow it.

Hope this helps

Randy

Yep, it is a bit off. I did not have a 22 caliber TAT for that die. That is one reason I scrapped 9/16 and went to 1/2x28. I have a steel .22 caliber TAT for 1/2x28, and it came out dead straight.
Old 09-17-2021, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

OK, next step done. Turned to 1/2x28, and a 5 slot AIM Sports A2 style Muzzle Brake added with crush washer.. Used a .22 caliber TAT and got threading nut nuts straight. Put a .22" diameter brass rod down bore, and exit hole is dead center around it. Last step will be factory poly stock that is allegedly in the mail....

Last edited by imarangemaster; 09-17-2021 at 5:12 PM..
Old 09-17-2021, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so the lesson here is that the upgrades costs as much as an ar15 to make a mini 14 as accurate as an ar-15
Old 09-17-2021, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

LOL! Maybe for some. My Mini was accurate enough for me bone stock. MY "perfect Mini" could be a current out of the box tactical, except they have 1/9 twist. I'm doing this to have one with a 1/7 twist.
Old 09-17-2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
so the lesson here is that the upgrades costs as much as an ar15 to make a mini 14 as accurate as an ar-15
ROFL. I have 2 Minis that I refuse to even tally the receipts on. We all did silly things in the OLL days.
Old 09-18-2021, 7:51 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I've got an old stainless 188 with 1:7 barrel. I oughta waste some money on it. 😁
I've always loved the minis, just not the cost to buy 'em.
Old 09-18-2021, 8:51 AM

I agree with WR , your sling is such an important part of your rifle. Me personally I would say keep the green web usgi sling, but mount it with the metal clip , or get a leather one like smle man. Then do some research on how to shoot with a USGI sling loop or even hasty sling and thus you will shoot more accurately from multiple positions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ0mB-y65x8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crm7nwmpQ6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmemFfZO-E0

Last edited by theduracellbigd; 09-18-2021 at 8:55 AM..
Old 09-18-2021, 9:11 AM

IMA: what is a TAT?

Randy

Old 09-18-2021, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
IMA: what is a TAT?

Randy
Thread Alignment Tool
Old 09-18-2021, 1:17 PM

Some shots of my Target. Tried to make it look like the 10-22 Target with the bull barrel. https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

That's HK semi-gloss black by the way, it's way cooler (and way cheaper than blue) in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210918_140340.jpg (79.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210918_140354.jpg (62.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210918_140406.jpg (40.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210918_140430.jpg (74.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by DrewN; 09-21-2021 at 4:41 PM..
Old 09-18-2021, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Thread Alignment Tool
It is the thing you use to keep from screwing up the threads like I did with the 9/16x24 where I did not have a TAT. I used a TAT on the 1/2x28 and it was dead nuts centered.
Old 09-18-2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
It is the thing you use to keep from screwing up the threads like I did with the 9/16x24 where I did not have a TAT. I used a TAT on the 1/2x28 and it was dead nuts centered.
I've been machining for 40+ years and have never seen or heard of a TAT.

i guess that TAT thing would be of use if you had to cut the threads by hand on a bench with the barrel in a vice. How do you prevent it from rotating with the die as you turn it?

Randy

Old 09-18-2021, 7:28 PM

Here’s my Mini-30

I put an Amega Ranges rail, a Vortex Optics Strikefire II and an Accu-Strut on it. I should probably put a smaller red dot on it.

I don’t shoot it as much as my AR’s or my AK as it doesn’t like Berdan primers, so the ammo was a little pricier. I haven’t looked lately but at the price Wolf is selling at, I can imagine what Boxer primed ammo costs.

I only have Ruger magazines, but even with only factory ones, I have one that the rounds nosedive in one of them.

Last edited by Devilock04; 09-18-2021 at 7:50 PM.. Reason: Shrunk image