Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-13-2022, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default Anyone own a Ruger PC Carbine in .40s&w?

I’ve been searching for a “big brother” PCC in 40 but no dealers I ever inquire with has them in stock…. Like ever.

1) Anybody own one?
2) If so, how reliable has it been?
3) Do you like it or prefer something else over it if you had to choose?

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 09-13-2022, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i didnt even know they made one. hard to beat the 9mm pcc, super reliable and eats even the worst 9mm ammo like its no big deal. i bought one for my nephews and nieces to shoot and my wife ended up liking it and shooting it the most.
Old 09-13-2022, 2:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Ruger had produced very very few of these models.
Old 09-14-2022, 1:05 AM

There is the Sub 2000 in 40.
It's backpackable, and in some cases reliable.
Old 09-14-2022, 2:34 AM

I have one. Bought it right around the time the PCC was released and picked up both the 9mm and .40 at the same time. Not a lot of rounds through it but it’s eaten everything, including my reloads. What I like about the .40 in this format is the ballistics. A .40 out of a 16 inch barrel is just about the same as a 10mm out of a 5 inch pistol. Assuming the bullet can handle the speed (I have it loaded with a solid copper bullets that don’t rely on expansion to get the job done, Underwood Xtreme Defenders), it makes for a very viable home self-defense gun.

Recoil is very light, it’s easy to fire quickly, effectively and accurately. I’ve paired it with a light and red dot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-14-2022, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

I got one of the first ones released. Mine came directly from Ruger I had to wait a year and a half for them to release the 40's as there were some problems getting them to work right. First thing I asked at the SHOT Show when they released the 9MM version was "Where's the .40's?"

Everybody including me thought all they had to do was a different barrel and bolt face. Turned out to be way more complicated than that. Bolt Thrust was the issue. The solution was a Heavier Bolt and Return Springs.

My gun has been ok reliability wise. I have 4 22 round Glock Mags and one is got a problem so I don't use it any more. Also those mags have to be down loaded -2 rounds or they don't feed the top rounds right, and try to double feed. Downloading works. All the smaller mags run perfectly, but I usually stick with the 20 rounders.

I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W as well and use my 31 round mags for that gun.

The gun isn't a 1 hole gun by any means. It is about 1-1.5" at 50 yards with my 165 gr plated bullet reloads. I have some 175 gr TC's cast that I am going to size .402 with PC and try them.. The gun is a 100 yard gun but at least with the 175 gr boolits it will have some poop, and way more poop than any 9MM. Proper Handgun Calibers all start with a .4 anyway! Hence my G23 and G35.

In a couple of 3 guns I shot out to 200 yards with it but had to hold 2 feet to the left and 2 feet high to hit the target. That didn't help my time on the Rifle Stage against AR's, but it kicked butt on the short range targets. Very fst target acquisition.

The gun would be a first choice as an Urban Combat Gun or HD Gun and since it is a take down that is held together it will back pack well. definitely something you could run with.

I finally got the Green Magpul Stock I wanted and it feels great, and my 1.5" sling worked very well on it.

Here's pics of the gun.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2272.jpg (95.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2274.jpg (90.8 KB, 239 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-14-2022 at 3:26 PM..
Old 09-14-2022, 4:32 PM

Nice didn’t know there were any
Old 09-14-2022, 6:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

don't know anything about the new models but my original version runs like a bat out of hell.
Old 09-14-2022, 8:23 PM

I got one in 9mm as soon as I could find one when they first came out. I like it a lot. It's been said many times here and I'll attest to it as well: you go through a LOT of ammo with it. It's really fun to shot and it's hard not to shoot it fast. I'll bet its great in .40 too but also just that much more expensive to shoot over 9mm.
A friend of mine also wants one in .40 and with the factory Ruger slotted hand guard. No luck anywhere.
Good luck.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 09-15-2022, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I’d like one in .40 also, it’s a great round for a PCC. I’ve often thought about getting the conversation kit for my 9mm Just Right Carbine, but it’s pricey.
Old 09-15-2022, 4:17 PM

I have an older police carbine 40. Still haven't shot it.
Old 09-15-2022, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

DANG RANDY….. that’s a perfect caliber and set up….‼️‼️👍

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-15-2022, 5:43 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
DANG RANDY….. that’s a perfect caliber and set up….‼️‼️👍

Agreed!!
Old 09-15-2022, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I gotta say that backpacker stock looks great!
Old 09-15-2022, 6:14 PM

Love to have in a 10mm for sure.
Old 09-15-2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
I gotta say that backpacker stock looks great!
The only thing keeping me from trying one is it looks like your loose the ability to adjust LOP with that stock. I like how Ruger gives you some spacers to add/subtract and get it just right.

Old 09-15-2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDHD? View Post
I got one in 9mm as soon as I could find one when they first came out. I like it a lot. It's been said many times here and I'll attest to it as well: you go through a LOT of ammo with it. It's really fun to shot and it's hard not to shoot it fast. I'll bet its great in .40 too but also just that much more expensive to shoot over 9mm.
A friend of mine also wants one in .40 and with the factory Ruger slotted hand guard. No luck anywhere.
Good luck.

Don’t think they ever made the .40 version with the slotted hand guard. I remember looking on the Ruger website when the .40 was released for that hand guard like they have on the 9, and it wasn’t there. Of course, if you do locate a .40, you could always buy a Midwest Industries Mlok handguard that will look similar to the handguard that Ruger uses on their 9. In fact, it’ll probably be a bit better.

Old 09-15-2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post

Yea plz
Old 09-16-2022, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrysnarf View Post
Yea plz
If they came out with one I definitely buy it. Full power loads out of it would be a great carbine for sure.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post
I need to get this out there so people won't just waste time waiting for a 10MM or .45 ACP version that ain't coming.

It ain't gonna happen!

The Bolt Thrust on both of those calibers is too much for this action. The .40 S&W was problematic and that is why it didn't get released until a Year and a Half after the 9MM version.

The 10MM and .45 ACP versions would have to be a completely different gun which will be heavier. Most will comment that the existing gun is a little on the heavy side as it is. (the Magpul stock helps bring the weight down a little)

In order to cope with the increased bolt thrust of the .40 S&W, the bolt's weight had to be increased. If the 10MM or .45 was the target then the bolt would have to be substantially heavier. about 40% on the 10MM and more like 50-60% on the .45. That means a much bigger bolt which won't fit into the existing Receiver..

Also the mag well would have to be increased in size due to the larger sized magazines (Glock 20 and 21 size)

This brings us to a completely different gun, for about a 200 fps difference from the 40S&W to the 10MM which isn't worth doing, and then the .45 ACP which is not a fast cartridge to begin with, is not going to be useful beyond 100 yards due to the ballistics of the fat boolit. Trajectory at 100 yards will be a Rainbow. It would be a great 100 yards and below gun just due to that big fat boolit, but not much else.

Just buy a .40S&W, it is worth the effort to find one. I run 165 gr Plated Boolits and 175 gr Powder Coated Boolits. They run about 1100-1200 fps and could go faster if I loaded them hotter. I don't usually load anything hotter! I have hit man sized Steel targets at 200 yards with mine. (Held off 2 feet to the Left (wind) and 2 feet High!) 150 yards was hold on the head and hit center mass.

That guy you shoot in your driveway while he's trying to steal your car,,, won't know the difference!

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-19-2022 at 11:07 AM..
Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 PM

I bought both the 9m and .40 first addition Otherwise known as the police addition. I like my older generation looks much better. Mine uses the Ruger P-89 and P-95 mags. I bought both during the 90s.

I bought a ton of these mags up to 40 rds, all different brands, some Ruger and never had a failure... Great guns!!!

I might want to sell the .40 It has maybe 100 rds through it. At the time it was just easier to take all my 9m.

It's been sitting in my gun safe for over 15 years now in a gun sock.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
Don’t think they ever made the .40 version with the slotted hand guard. I remember looking on the Ruger website when the .40 was released for that hand guard like they have on the 9, and it wasn’t there. Of course, if you do locate a .40, you could always buy a Midwest Industries Mlok handguard that will look similar to the handguard that Ruger uses on their 9. In fact, it’ll probably be a bit better.

I have the Midwest handguard on my 9mm Ruger Carbine now. It looks nice but it is noticeably heavier and mine vibrates loose after about 100 rds and has to be retightened. Yes- I torqued it to spec and I used the supplied longer screw. MI suggested I use the red thread lock instead of the blue. I have not gotten around to doing that yet. So maybe the available OE Ruger Mloc handguard is better- IDK since I have yet to see one in person yet.

Old 09-20-2022, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I need to get this out there so people won't just waste time waiting for a 10MM or .45 ACP version that ain't coming.

It ain't gonna happen!

The Bolt Thrust on both of those calibers is too much for this action. The .40 S&W was problematic and that is why it didn't get released until a Year and a Half after the 9MM version.

The 10MM and .45 ACP versions would have to be a completely different gun which will be heavier. Most will comment that the existing gun is a little on the heavy side as it is. (the Magpul stock helps bring the weight down a little)

In order to cope with the increased bolt thrust of the .40 S&W, the bolt's weight had to be increased. If the 10MM or .45 was the target then the bolt would have to be substantially heavier. about 40% on the 10MM and more like 50-60% on the .45. That means a much bigger bolt which won't fit into the existing Receiver..

Also the mag well would have to be increased in size due to the larger sized magazines (Glock 20 and 21 size)

This brings us to a completely different gun, for about a 200 fps difference from the 40S&W to the 10MM which isn't worth doing, and then the .45 ACP which is not a fast cartridge to begin with, is not going to be useful beyond 100 yards due to the ballistics of the fat boolit. Trajectory at 100 yards will be a Rainbow. It would be a great 100 yards and below gun just due to that big fat boolit, but not much else.

Just buy a .40S&W, it is worth the effort to find one. I run 165 gr Plated Boolits and 175 gr Powder Coated Boolits. They run about 1100-1200 fps and could go faster if I loaded them hotter. I don't usually load anything hotter! I have hit man sized Steel targets at 200 yards with mine. (Held off 2 feet to the Left (wind) and 2 feet High!) 150 yards was hold on the head and hit center mass.

That guy you shoot in your driveway while he's trying to steal your car,,, won't know the difference!

Randy

You know what would be cool? A Ruger PCC in .357 Sig. And they could easily do it. Talk about speed! I’d love to see what an Underwood Xtreme Defender 65 gr. .357 Sig out of a 16 inch barrel could do. I get 2300 ft/s out of my converted Glock 35 with that round. I bet you could hit 3000 ft/s with a Ruger PCC. You are in AR territory now.

Old 09-21-2022, 2:08 PM

I had one in 40 cal, sold it after I got my AR. You guys are making me wish I had it back!
Old 09-22-2022, 5:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Of course, if you do locate a .40, you could always buy a Midwest Industries Mlok handguard that will look similar to the handguard that Ruger uses on their 9. In fact, it’ll probably be a bit better.
The Rugers that come from the factory with those hand guards are genuine M-LOK hand guards. They are just a tad longer and cover more length of the barrel, vs. the “aftermarket” available M-LOKs. I’m not sure if the longer version was something Ruger wanted and had them made special to their (Ruger’s) own liking. But none the less, they are genuine M-LOK straight from Ruger.

Quote:
You know what would be cool? A Ruger PCC in .357 Sig. And they could easily do it. Talk about speed! I’d love to see what an Underwood Xtreme Defender 65 gr. .357 Sig out of a 16 inch barrel could do. I get 2300 ft/s out of my converted Glock 35 with that round. I bet you could hit 3000 ft/s with a Ruger PCC. You are in AR territory now.
The problem with that is cost and availability of .357 Sig ammo. That gun would become a “safe queen” for most and for sure it wouldn’t be a “take-a-kid-shooting-for-a-day” gun. Nobody would ever shoot it, because two magazines loaded with .357Sig would cost $50 and then they’d have a hard time even replacing those $50 bucks worth of .357Sig ammo.

Plus, I think many factory hollow point loadings in that caliber would underperform due to the excessive speed of the bullet out of a longer 16” barrel, when hitting its target. Bullets not only underperform if they travel too slow, but too fast as well. Most .357Sig hollow points are designed to perform perfectly at around the 1300fps mark. I really wonder if the 16” rifle lengthed barrel would make the regular 125gr Gold Dot .357Sig for example disintegrate before reaching even 7-8 inches of soft body tissue?

If one wants speed and performance, I thing the cheaper alternative would be to just buy a .223/5.56 mini-14 if one is looking to match “AR territory.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRen15 View Post
I had one in 40 cal, sold it after I got my AR. You guys are making me wish I had it back!
It’s why I got in the habit of NEVER EVER selling guns. I did it one single time in my life with one rifle and said, “never again.” They really can’t be replaced and I want stuff handed down to my clones and their clones one day. God only knows that gun models just get harder and harder to find as the months go on in this state. Even the idea of “selling one gun, to buy another” is a bad idea. It’s one less gun in your collection, that one can NEVER easily get back.

“Pay attention. I’m educating you and I’m using small words.” -Mark Levin

”Enraging liberals is simply one of the more enjoyable side effects of my wisdom.” -Rush R.I.P.

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

Last edited by TrailerparkTrash; 09-22-2022 at 5:22 AM..