Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-13-2022, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Folder sync, Phone to NAS

So my router has a USB 3 port on it and allows me to attach a HDD to act as a NAS. I'd like to use it to back up my pictures and videos from my Android based phone. It supports FTP and SMB.

Does anyone know of a good free Android app I could use to do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 09-13-2022, 9:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

airdroid is the best. ive tried them all and this one is by far the leader. i actually pay for the pro version.
Old 09-13-2022, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
airdroid is the best. ive tried them all and this one is by far the leader. i actually pay for the pro version.
Cool, I'll check it out. Thank you.

Quote:

Old 09-13-2022, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

i use solid explorer. i can't recall if it was free or i paid for it.
Old 09-15-2022, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

OK, thanks to those who offered solutions.

Here's what I did and my take on the two recommended.

First: Solid Explorer

I downloaded and opened it up on my phone. The first thing that popped up was a registration, done. Next it said that I had 14 days to "try" and if I wanted to continue using it that I would have to pay, no free tier. Uninstalled at that point.

Second: AirDroid

Downloaded both the desktop and phone app. You need to use either the desktop or a web browser on your computer to talk with the phone app and back up your stuff.

Desktop app was nice but added a feature that wasn't needed or wanted. It put a tool for you to check your phones calls and texts. There is no way to disable this feature. The two apps worked well and was easy to set up, kind of. I was able to get the phone back up to my computer, but not my NAS. Also, in the free version it will only back up photos. If you want to back up your videos you need to subscribe to their $30 a year service. Not something I would do.

After looking around the Play store I found an app cold FolderSync. It's exactly what I was looking for. They have a free and paid version. The free version does everything the paid version does but has in app ads. I'm going to give the free version a try for a bit and it works as well as it has so far I'll be happy to pay the one time fee of $4.99 to remove the ads.

With this app you are able to make a mirror of any folder you want on about 30 cloud services or on your own NAS via FTP or SMB. It's a true mirror as you can set it to delete a file from B if you delete it from A or vice a versa.

I added my NAS as a location account just once. I was then able to go in and set up the mirrors for 4 folders on my phone to the NAS. You can also choose how often your folders are synced. They have options as often as 5 mins to once a month. Since this is on my home network I didn't see a reason to get crazy and do it every 5 mins, I just set them up to sync up on a daily basis.

I hope this info helps others.

Quote: