Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > Guns & Money
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Guns & Money Discussion Re: Pro/Anti 2A Org's 990's & Finances

Old 08-29-2022, 7:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Should we be that picky?

These days its not unusual to order a weapon instead of buying one that is already in stock. When it finally arrives, sometimes after a lengthy delay, how many of you would reject it if it had a small scratch or ding?
Old 08-29-2022, 7:32 AM

I returned a Savage once which had a hairline crack on the upper left part of the stock, opposite the bolt side. It was barely noticeable, but I didn't want it breaking off in the future. It slipped through quality control.
Old 08-29-2022, 7:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Personally when I buy something new I would prefer it didn't have any blemishes.
Old 08-29-2022, 8:18 AM

I was shopping at Cabelas for a over under winchester shotgun.. the first one looked like it had been in a war NEW, I asked do you have another that isnt so beat up she said yes went back and got it, Walnut stock almost black perfect match to the forearm so i snagged it,

i asked why the first one was beat up i heard something to the effect of bad management they have us put them in a cart on top of each other every night to the vault, what a waste
Old 08-29-2022, 8:31 AM

A while ago, I was shopping for a 12ga O/U and decided on a Browning Cynergy. Wild Sports in Orangevale (sadly now a 7/11 gas station) had a good price and several in stock. I went through all four but found issues w fit and finish on every one of them and they would not make any adjustments on price. I passed on them all. As it turns out, it was a good thing because I found a Citori Lightning Feather w 26"bbls at Sportsmans the next day. It had a tiny ding in the stock and they offered to cut 5% off the price. Glad I took them up on it bc it quickly became my favorite shotgun.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2022, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If I'm paying for a brand new firearm (which is all I buy now), it shouldn't have scratches or dings of ANY kind.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A small scratch or ding that doesn't affect function is NOTHING. It's a firearm not a museum piece.

Like when some people buy a new truck the first thing they do is Rhinoliner to protect the bed from..........what?

It's a freaking TRUCK already.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 08-30-2022, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
A small scratch or ding that doesn't affect function is NOTHING. It's a firearm not a museum piece.

Like when some people buy a new truck the first thing they do is Rhinoliner to protect the bed from..........what?

That's quite true. As long as it doesn't affect performance or durability.
Old 08-30-2022, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought a Colt Combat Elite and the beautiful Colt blue slide was marred on one side by oil that dried which was on the cheap plastic wrap. Nice little circles you could see almost too easily. I didn't send it back like most would have, I broke it in then sold it, to my regret.
Old 08-30-2022, 7:54 PM

Super depends. If it's something I would do while using, I'd keep it. If it is super wonky and is obviously a mfg blem that a user couldn't do, I'd probably say something.
Springfield Armory & Smith&Wesson & Remington & Henry & Marlin
------------------------------------
"Why does anyone need an AR-15?
You mean you don't know? So what kind of reporter are you? It's easy! It's a great friggen gun!" - Alan Korwin, 2015
Old 08-30-2022, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You do you...I want to be the first person to put any scratches or dings on anything brand new that I purchase. Guns, trucks, appliances, whatever.
Old 09-02-2022, 6:29 AM

I went my fav LGS to buy some firearm related accessories, and spotted a Kimber Pro Carry II in the case. I asked to see itvand as I was handling it, I noticed it was pretty scratched up. So I made a joke that they should sell it to me for a good price rather put a beat up gun back in their case. We arrive at a number and he puts it back in the case. I asked what's going on, thought we had a deal. He smiles and says, we do, but you bought a brand new gun, so I am getting you a brand new gun.

I broke mine out of the plastic wrapimg bag.

And things like that is why Blue Collar Firearms is a fav among those in the inland empire.

Scratches, we don't need no stinkin scratches.
Old 09-02-2022, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
I went my fav LGS to buy some firearm related accessories, and spotted a Kimber Pro Carry II in the case. I asked to see itvand as I was handling it, I noticed it was pretty scratched up. So I made a joke that they should sell it to me for a good price rather put a beat up gun back in their case. We arrive at a number and he puts it back in the case. I asked what's going on, thought we had a deal. He smiles and says, we do, but you bought a brand new gun, so I am getting you a brand new gun.

I broke mine out of the plastic wrapimg bag.

And things like that is why Blue Collar Firearms is a fav among those in the inland empire.

Scratches, we don't need no stinkin scratches.

That is a story that makes you feel good.
Old 09-04-2022, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would be picky, the vast majority of firearms aren't exactly considered cheap to most, you are dropping a good amount of money. I am pretty knit picky about my guns overall, the way I look at it is if someone is going to put some wear and tear or scratches on a gun then let it be me and not someone else .
Old 09-06-2022, 9:56 AM

Honestly it would depend on A: How significant the damage is, and B: How much did you spend on the thing/what type of gun is it. If it's not something collectable and will be a carry/range gun, I wouldn't care if it's just a small scratch or something. It'll acquire those anyways and it's really not worth the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a replacement over something so small.
Old 09-06-2022, 6:49 PM

I'd rather On-Line order a new gun rather than out of the LGS display, because who knows how many times its been dry fired or worst by junior grade employees, Junior's friends, etc after hours. I screwed up my 870 (I think) bending some of those flat thingys on a re-assemble learning exp.

To me dings on a new gun must mean lack of supervision and skill at all levels.
Don't they figure out ways to handle parts and secure in gig, etc so any ding is a rare event? I'd love to see what goes on on the factory floor. I've done building trade work and its perfectly normal to do 100s of high skill special installs of fragile items in a row.

Whats much worse is all the reports of new guns just not working. If QC is hard to do, at least put it through its paces with a few rds of diff ammo and limp-wristing etc. And if someone shows you a youtube of them loading factory ammo and gun not working that should be a new gun, not "Uh, I guess we'll try to fix it".
Old 09-07-2022, 12:30 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Ha, I'm the opposite of most of you. I am trying to avoid buying any more new guns because why do you need a brand new, virgin, untouched gun? The overall quality has gone down the past decade, the amount of initial defects have gone up. New guns, overall, don't seem to be what they were 10-20 years ago. Get yourself an FFL03 (or don't if you're not going out of state) and buy some real guns that have experienced life, been used to defend someone's country, maybe killed some Nazis or if you're buying German guns, may have been used to kill some Allies.

As I go through my safe, most of my "new" guns just aren't that interesting. They're fine tools and I am glad I have them but most of them are soulless, characterless, plastic and aluminum, as about as viscerally exciting as a new pair of pliers. All of my most interesting guns are wood and steel and have lots of dings, scratches, holster wear, etc. Even my first gun, a Kmart Made in Brazil, probably by Imbel, single shot 20ga that I used to take plenty of rabbits and birds, great gun that I paid $59 for when I was 18 at the gun counter at Kmart.

Although FWIW, yes, if I ordered a new gun, I wouldn't be happy or accept it if it was dinged up, unless the seller offered some bucks off or threw in a few boxes of ammo as recompense for the damage.

Old 09-08-2022, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Ha, I'm the opposite of most of you. I am trying to avoid buying any more new guns because why do you need a brand new, virgin, untouched gun? The overall quality has gone down the past decade, the amount of initial defects have gone up. New guns, overall, don't seem to be what they were 10-20 years ago. Get yourself an FFL03 (or don't if you're not going out of state) and buy some real guns that have experienced life, been used to defend someone's country, maybe killed some Nazis or if you're buying German guns, may have been used to kill some Allies.

As I go through my safe, most of my "new" guns just aren't that interesting. They're fine tools and I am glad I have them but most of them are soulless, characterless, plastic and aluminum, as about as viscerally exciting as a new pair of pliers. All of my most interesting guns are wood and steel and have lots of dings, scratches, holster wear, etc. Even my first gun, a Kmart Made in Brazil, probably by Imbel, single shot 20ga that I used to take plenty of rabbits and birds, great gun that I paid $59 for when I was 18 at the gun counter at Kmart.

Although FWIW, yes, if I ordered a new gun, I wouldn't be happy or accept it if it was dinged up, unless the seller offered some bucks off or threw in a few boxes of ammo as recompense for the damage.
Fair points, to each their own as they say .
Old 09-08-2022, 6:26 PM

For me I'm of the thought the more I pay for something, the higher my expectation becomes when inspecting a firearm.

Less than $1000? I'll let a few things slide.
Close to $10K? Yeah, I'm gonna start whining and bitching on any blemish.
Old 09-08-2022, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
For me I'm of the thought the more I pay for something, the higher my expectation becomes when inspecting a firearm.

Less than $1000? I'll let a few things slide.
Close to $10K? Yeah, I'm gonna start whining and bitching on any blemish.
It is funny because I feel the same way, it's like I expect utter perfection on said item that I paid a lot for. When I discover something as small as a blemish on a gun that I forked out a lot of cash for, I feel like I got duped and I am not getting my money's worth .
Old 09-09-2022, 11:21 AM

So I recently bought a Henry 45-70 model X. The rear sight was never installed. I decided to blow it off rather than find myself waiting a month (or maybe many more) to get the actual rifle. Same story as getting a pistol that's off roster. If it's something you want you are willing to pay a premium.
Old 09-09-2022, 3:27 PM

depends on what you're getting it for. all my guns are supposed to be tools. i only have one gun that has and deserves masterpiece and art status, and that's an m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety. nothing else even comes close.

that said, i won't carry ugly guns. so if someone butchers their gun with a bad stipple job, i'll pass on that. same with glocks and revolvers
Old 09-09-2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:

Hahaha agreed 100%
Old 09-11-2022, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
That's quite true. As long as it doesn't affect performance or durability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
Hahaha agreed 100%
I'd bet good money that if any of you were taking delivery on your brand new $100,000 crew cab diesel 4x4 truck....and it had a baseball size dent on it....you wouldn't just say, "oh it's ok, it's just a truck"

Right.

Last edited by TurboChrisB; 09-12-2022 at 6:53 PM..
Old 09-13-2022, 12:23 PM

If it's new then it comes down to how much does a scratch or ding bother you, the heck with what anyone else thinks.

If I'm buying one that will get passed down as inheritance or a gift later on, I wouldn't want scratches or dings on it but that's just me.

Guns aren't museum pieces? Uh, some are, and everyone has their own idea of value and how condition affects their perception of the same.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent.
Not losing is not a Victory if everything stays the same.
Old 09-13-2022, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post

Guns aren't museum pieces? Uh, some are, and everyone has their own idea of value and how condition affects their perception of the same.

I agree, that's exactly why many people choose to gold plate their firearms and rifles, for show much like jewelry .
Old 09-14-2022, 10:33 AM

Default Ugly guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncage View Post
depends on what you're getting it for. all my guns are supposed to be tools. i only have one gun that has and deserves masterpiece and art status, and that's an m&p 2.0 fde with thumb safety. nothing else even comes close.

that said, i won't carry ugly guns. so if someone butchers their gun with a bad stipple job, i'll pass on that. same with glocks and revolvers
Wait ,revolvers are ugly guns, like Glocks?
Please tell me that's a typo!
Glocks ugly,yes, all revolvers NOOO!
Old 09-14-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequencer60 View Post
If I'm paying for a brand new firearm (which is all I buy now), it shouldn't have scratches or dings of ANY kind.
I agree. If it's not pristine, it's not really "new" as far as I'm concerned. Scratches and dings are a hallmark of "used." If I buy "new," I'D like to be the one to put the scratches and dings on it as I make it "used."
Old 09-14-2022, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Barlow View Post
Wait ,revolvers are ugly guns, like Glocks?
Please tell me that's a typo!
Glocks ugly,yes, all revolvers NOOO!
revolvers are ugly to me. they feel fat and inefficient
Old 09-14-2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
I'd bet good money that if any of you were taking delivery on your brand new $100,000 crew cab diesel 4x4 truck....and it had a baseball size dent on it....you wouldn't just say, "oh it's ok, it's just a truck"

Right.

Picture of the Dirtmobile:

20220914_121147 turn.jpg

And NO BP ... it's not for sale!
Old 09-14-2022, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncage View Post
revolvers are ugly to me. they feel fat and inefficient
My gold plated Colt Python would disagree with you .
Old 09-20-2022, 1:49 PM

My guns are tools, not art. I use and abuse em. Esthetics don't matter, function does. Shiny flawless weapons scream noob...I watch out for noobs with guns. Many have zero common sense.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 09-29-2022, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
These days its not unusual to order a weapon instead of buying one that is already in stock. When it finally arrives, sometimes after a lengthy delay, how many of you would reject it if it had a small scratch or ding?
If Iím paying for new I want it to be new