Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 02-15-2021, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up We're up to normal snowfall...

...as of today. A little over 19 inches in the TV. I definitely would not mind even more as that gets me more hay and more $$$$$, especially toward the end of the growing season.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 02-16-2021, 4:13 AM

Good news! Hopefully we have a great snowpack in the mountains as well.

Could be an epic high-water year for kayaking if this keeps up!
Old 02-16-2021, 5:42 AM

Mammoth main lodge has only a 6 foot base. In a good year they'd be at 10 by the end of February. It is not stacking up to be a good year for water in SoCal.
Old 02-16-2021, 6:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Default California and its perpetual drought

Santa Clara County is always in a drought or in great fear of the next one.

Oddly enough, members of the local water delivery agencies are known for their graft and corruption.

Hey, it’s just public money.
Old 02-16-2021, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnguns View Post
Good news! Hopefully we have a great snowpack in the mountains as well.

Could be an epic high-water year for kayaking if this keeps up!
Try the north fork of the Payette around the middle of May.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Old 02-16-2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Try the north fork of the Payette around the middle of May.
Been there, done that, got my face smashed in , but gonna do it again
Old 02-17-2021, 1:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We had about a foot here in Vancouver this past weekend, but it's warming up now My bet is it'll all be gone by the weekend.
Old 02-17-2021, 9:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

NOAA is now saying 100% chance tomorrow night with 1-3 inches. Luvin' it even though my field is starting to look like a snowy swamp.

Old 02-17-2021, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Been there, done that, got my face smashed in , but gonna do it again
Check out a segment called "The Parking Lot".

I'm not nearly experienced enough to try the North Fork. We took a raft trip that ended at Smith's Ferry. Wife and I were in a van with two guides. We got an in depth tour of the North Fork on the way back to Cascade Raft. I'd empty my bladder in a wet suit in the first 2 minutes. Good on you to run it, or parts of it.

Old 02-18-2021, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Check out a segment called "The Parking Lot".

I'm not nearly experienced enough to try the North Fork. We took a raft trip that ended at Smith's Ferry. Wife and I were in a van with two guides. We got an in depth tour of the North Fork on the way back to Cascade Raft. I'd empty my bladder in a wet suit in the first 2 minutes. Good on you to run it, or parts of it.
Sounds like you rafted the Cabarton? What a great river experience that is.

I'm no expert, just a class IV boater, and therefore the Lower Five is at the top of my limit.

For those unfamiliar with the North Fork:

Expert kayakers come from all over the world to challenge the North Fork from Smiths Ferry to Banks. Fifteen miles of world-class whitewater right next to a paved road and with water as warm as your bathtub. It has been run a few times by rafts, catboats, and inflatable geodesic skeleton frames, but for all intents and purposes, this stretch is exclusively for kayaks.

The "upper five" starts at Smiths Ferry and it's pretty much solid class V boating. But the "middle five" is the most famous and difficult stretch, including the most challenging drop on the river; Jacobs Ladder.

The lower five is not as difficult, a solid class IV run at regular flows.

Cardinal rule is: Don't swim. We lose about one kayaker a year on the first 10 miles of the run, and to my knowledge, all are flush drownings. Don't even think about getting into any part of this river until you have excellent bracing skills and a bombproof roll.

Our state truly has some amazing rivers.

Last edited by Rotnguns; 02-18-2021 at 5:54 AM..
Old 02-18-2021, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sounds like you rafted the Cabarton? What a great river experience that is.

I'm no expert, just a class IV boater, and therefore the Lower Five is at the top of my limit.

For those unfamiliar with the North Fork:

Expert kayakers come from all over the world to challenge the North Fork from Smiths Ferry to Banks. Fifteen miles of world-class whitewater right next to a paved road and with water as warm as your bathtub. It has been run a few times by rafts, catboats, and inflatable geodesic skeleton frames, but for all intents and purposes, this stretch is exclusively for kayaks.

The "upper five" starts at Smiths Ferry and it's pretty much solid class V boating. But the "middle five" is the most famous and difficult stretch, including the most challenging drop on the river; Jacobs Ladder.

The lower five is not as difficult, a solid class IV run at regular flows.

Cardinal rule is: Don't swim. We lose about one kayaker a year on the first 10 miles of the run, and to my knowledge, all are flush drownings. Don't even think about getting into any part of this river until you have excellent bracing skills and a bombproof roll.

Our state truly has some amazing rivers.
It was the Cabarton and our 2nd time on that run. We weren't in the water for 5 minutes and flying toward us 20 feet off the ground was an eagle with a large fish in his mouth...unbelievable scenery.

I don't even think about running the North Fork, and I definitely don't have a bombproof roll.

We've known the owners of CCR since we moved up here in 2002. Ms. Long was wife's first horse trainer up here. We're currently baby sitting her pregnant Chilean mare and that gets us free rides and photos any time we'd like. Last I heard both were still in Chile doing a 2 week required corona quarantine.

The Longs are a perfect example of having a dream and working butts off to attain the dream. Their sons and daughters in law are carrying on what they learned from parents. Great people, all of them.

Last edited by -hanko; 02-18-2021 at 9:08 AM..
Old 02-18-2021, 10:35 AM

Wow, small world! I met Tom Long when he came up here from Cali, maybe 25 years ago? He started his boating company soon after. I discussed a research project with him: small-craft dynamics as applied to a kayak. He was very generous with his time and provided great information but I could not get the project funded. It's wonderful that he and his family are doing well!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

With or without Covid, CCR should be booming this spring.