Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-14-2019, 7:57 AM

Default 1911 Question

I sold my last 1911 about 6 years ago. Now I'm missing having one like crazy and plan on changing that ASAP. My question to you 1911 experts is........ Do all the 1911's that are on the CA Handgun Roster series 80 type to be CA legal? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 03-14-2019, 8:04 AM

No. There are many that don't have the added safety.
Old 03-14-2019, 8:05 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

No, most of them on the roster are NOT Series 80. I think Sig has it, but that is the only one I can think of. Kimber Series II pistols (anything with II in the model) have the Schwartz safety. I don't buy either of those.

Springfield has ILS and I don't like that either but it is easy to remove, like it was never there.

RIA, Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Brown, Dan Wesson, Guncrafter - all of those have no added junk.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 03-14-2019 at 8:15 AM..
Old 03-14-2019, 8:05 AM

everything on the roster is CA legal...
Old 03-14-2019, 11:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default 1911 Question

Springfield does not have a firing pin block, Kimber Series II, sig and S&W do.

Not all firing pin blocks are created equal. First off only Colts are considered 70 and 80 series as it’s a Colt Trademark term. This is also important to know when ordering parts. For instance if you replace your Kimber Series II extractor you do not want a series 80 part. The firing pin block does not pass through the extractor on the Kimber like it does on the Colt. So a series 80 extractor without the firing pin block in the cutout would be weaker than a standard extractor as well as not hold spring tension as well.

Colts firing pin block is moved by the trigger being pressed whereas the Kimber, S&W and a few others it is moved out of the way by pressing the grip safety. Why is this important? Trigger work.

Para, so Remington which is old Para and Sigs are all the same as Colt.

Springfield has an ILS, doesn’t effect anything if not used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post
Springfield does not have a firing pin block, Kimber Series II, sig and S&W do.

Not all firing pin blocks are created equal. First off only Colts are considered 70 and 80 series as it’s a Colt Trademark term. This is also important to know when ordering parts. For instance if you replace your Kimber Series II extractor you do not want a series 80 part. The firing pin block does not pass through the extractor on the Kimber like it does on the Colt. So a series 80 extractor without the firing pin block in the cutout would be weaker than a standard extractor as well as not hold spring tension as well.

Colts firing pin block is moved by the trigger being pressed whereas the Kimber, S&W and a few others it is moved out of the way by pressing the grip safety. Why is this important? Trigger work.

Para, so Remington which is old Para and Sigs are all the same as Colt.

Springfield has an ILS, doesn’t effect anything if not used.

To piggyback on the above, I have a few Series 80 Colts and the Para line. What is the best way to remove the FP safety and not end up with a hole in the underside of the slide?

I usually remove the dog leg parts and replace the FP with a Series 70. Leave in the FP block plug but remove its spring. Can that cause an issue?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
To piggyback on the above, I have a few Series 80 Colts and the Para line. What is the best way to remove the FP safety and not end up with a hole in the underside of the slide?

I usually remove the dog leg parts and replace the FP with a Series 70. Leave in the FP block plug but remove its spring. Can that cause an issue?

You need to put a shim where the two parts that are being removed next to the sear are and then leave the hole in the slide open. There should be nothing in their free floating in the slide as it can jam up the slide on the frame. The extractor needs to be replaced with a 70 series extractor.

Old 03-14-2019, 2:09 PM

Thanks for the good replies so far. When I mentioned 70/80 series I was really meaning 1911's that had FP Block. I'm leaning towards a more high end 1911 with my next selection and was curious how 1911's were passing the ridiculous CA requirements. I realize a PPT purchase alleviates this worry.
Old 03-14-2019, 3:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

There is nothing wrong with what you said, I only tend to bring up the issue so people understand when buying replacement parts. But calling a Kimber and 80 series while isn’t proper it’s commonly excepted and everyone knows what you’re talking about. I believe most higher end guns if not all are all 70 series or lack the firing pin block.

Dan Wesson’s are phenomenal guns for the price, do not skip those on your way to the much higher priced guns.

Old 03-14-2019, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by claimjumper86 View Post
Thanks for the good replies so far. When I mentioned 70/80 series I was really meaning 1911's that had FP Block. I'm leaning towards a more high end 1911 with my next selection and was curious how 1911's were passing the ridiculous CA requirements. I realize a PPT purchase alleviates this worry.

That roster, if you want a new gun, is where to start.

When I was shopping for a new high end 1911...I found that most sites had info on which guns were CA compliant...like my Wilson.

You can buy a nice shooter initially and send it back to get some work done if that fills your needs too.
Old 03-14-2019, 3:52 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
That roster, if you want a new gun, is where to start.

When I was shopping for a new high end 1911...I found that most sites had info on which guns were CA compliant...like my Wilson.

You can buy a nice shooter initially and send it back to get some work done if that fills your needs too.

There is always the option of having a factory gun completely worked over by a 1911 smith. Guys like Will O’Hara are local and build amazing guns.

Old 03-14-2019, 3:59 PM

Rock island armory and their kin(on roster) also do not have the firing pin lock safety.

I have only owned Colts and Springfield’s in the past for my 1911’s.

As mentioned the Springfield did not have the firing pin locks.

All my Colts were series 80 -so they all did.

I prefer no firing pin lock on a 1911,But it’s not a dealbreaker for me.

Novak’s 45 Shop did a really good job of getting a good trigger pull on one of my Colts while retaining the lock.

Sadly I sold off all my 1911’s.

I have a list of 1911s to get over the next few years.

Colt Series 70 national match in 9mm and 45.
Probably a Dan Wesson and or Les Baer preferably from the used gun classifieds here.
Maybe a Sig. Not sure how I feel about those.
Quite a few others-most likely from the classifieds section- either on roster or off.

Also for the money -maybe a rock island or two.

Mr. Cifaldi, a question please.

Have you worked on any of the RIA 1911’s and what do you think of them?

Will you work on them?
Old 03-14-2019, 4:38 PM
Veteran Member

Springfield is very good among the production 1911's up to about the $1200 or so price range. Above that is the Dan Wesson. Above that is the Les Baer at around $2k +/- depending.

Above that is Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson and a few others. Or, you could buy a base model production and send it off to a smith for a custom 1911 as Cifaldi mentions above.

IMHO, a Les Baer is great dive into the semi-production 1911 that won't break the bank.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 03-14-2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
like Will O’Hara are local and build amazing guns.
How do we get in touch with this "Will O'Hara" guy? I've seen his name come up a few times.
Old 03-14-2019, 7:53 PM

An interesting change regarding CCW just within the last few months in Shasta Co. Our Sheriff who is a fantastic 2A supporter added to their website that they'll now only allow grip and sight changes to carry guns. NO work that will change factory specs or original settings triggers/internals. I for one am anal about following the letter of the law and totally support our Sheriff even though I'm disappointed in the new requirement. One of the reasons I'm returning to the 1911 platform is because of the great triggers out of the box on so many of them.
Old 03-14-2019, 7:59 PM

Keep in mind CZ/Dan Wesson’s excellent military / first responder discount.
Old 03-14-2019, 9:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default 1911 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Springfield is very good among the production 1911's up to about the $1200 or so price range. Above that is the Dan Wesson. Above that is the Les Baer at around $2k +/- depending.

Above that is Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson and a few others. Or, you could buy a base model production and send it off to a smith for a custom 1911 as Cifaldi mentions above.

IMHO, a Les Baer is great dive into the semi-production 1911 that won't break the bank.

I would put a Dan Wesson ahead of a Les Baer any day.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would put a Dan Wesson ahead of a Les Baer any day.

You’re right. But, for some reason, I have a mental block in considering a DW a semi production pistol. I always think of it as a super nice production gun.

M&P 15 (Mine)