Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Default Running with a Gun - article

Notice: This post is in the Ladies Forum

I just came across this article from Women's Outdoor News about running with a gun. This seems especially timely as, sadly, that young woman from Iowa was murdered after someone grabbed her while she was out for a run. The article talks about some clothing ideas and also how to practice the run and gun.

Read the suggestions here: https://www.womensoutdoornews.com/20...ng-with-a-gun/
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Great article!
Old 09-10-2018, 7:23 PM

Thanks for posting - some really good, practical, useable tips! I don't run, but I do hike & bike alone in the mountains. My CCW makes it legal, but the 'how to' tips are perfect. With a little imagination & thought, there are a lot of options available!
Old 12-12-2018, 9:44 PM

Late responding. Good info.

I'm not much of a runner, but the few times I've gone out is with a running group.

Other than that, when I'm out hiking or walking, I'm with my 2 big GSDs and usually another person.

I did have an incident once with the dogs, and a friend, where we were attacked by a pack of 4 loose dogs. My little blackie girl kept the dogs away; she's a princess warrior, but what I realized is that it happened so fast that while juggling 2 leashes and 1 barking, 1 scared dog, I did not have time or a free hand to draw a weapon. It was very enlightening, and I realized that I needed to practice handling that scenario. I'm also training my dogs to be obedient off leash.
Old 12-13-2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
Late responding. Good info.

I'm not much of a runner, but the few times I've gone out is with a running group.

Other than that, when I'm out hiking or walking, I'm with my 2 big GSDs and usually another person.

I did have an incident once with the dogs, and a friend, where we were attacked by a pack of 4 loose dogs. My little blackie girl kept the dogs away; she's a princess warrior, but what I realized is that it happened so fast that while juggling 2 leashes and 1 barking, 1 scared dog, I did not have time or a free hand to draw a weapon. It was very enlightening, and I realized that I needed to practice handling that scenario. I'm also training my dogs to be obedient off leash.
Californiagal, you make an excellent point & sent us a good reminder. We all need realistic practice that reflects real world conditions. I'm guilty of placing too much reliance on the ideal conditions at the range or in front of the mirror at home.

Although I carry AIWB on my right side, I've seldom practiced drawing while holding a purse, backpack, grocery bag, or my dogs' leashes with my left hand. In practice, I use my empty left hand to lift my cover garment out of the way. That's an oversight I'll have to correct right away.
Old 12-18-2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelGunMagic View Post
Californiagal, you make an excellent point & sent us a good reminder. We all need realistic practice that reflects real world conditions. I'm guilty of placing too much reliance on the ideal conditions at the range or in front of the mirror at home.

Although I carry AIWB on my right side, I've seldom practiced drawing while holding a purse, backpack, grocery bag, or my dogs' leashes with my left hand. In practice, I use my empty left hand to lift my cover garment out of the way. That's an oversight I'll have to correct right away.

Yes! I've seen classes like FrontSight where they say that you can only draw from the holster at the hip and you must wear a cover shirt. I'm thinking...that's ok and I completely understand that they need to maintain some control and consistency in their classes; but, that is not how most women carry. So, we need to do ourselves a favor and train on our own initiative for alternate carries, outfits and circumstances. Ever try drawing from a purse in high heels and a body con dress? I haven't. I can imagine that my stance would be off-kilter due to the heels. Are you a business professional that wears a suit and jacket? Better try drawing with your jacket on as I can imagine that the shoulders would be restricted when you come up to contact ready. Maybe practice carrying heavy grocery bags, drop them on the ground and draw. Or practice drawing and shooting with heavy bags hanging from your shoulders.

You two gave us good things to think about! Thanks!

Last edited by BadKitty; 12-18-2018 at 6:27 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 6:40 PM

I've never seen a California rule the you can only draw from the hip when carrying concealed. Or that you need a shirt. (Obviously we're wearing some kind of shirt, or we'd cause a riot...). Just to keep the confusion down to a dull roar, the above may be Front Site rules, but they aren't California rules that I know of.

Women DO have special carry needs, since we tend to curve out, where men are flat or curve in. For me, since I'm old and fat, right side appendix is best. I have this inward curve, like a little pocket, between my belly and my hip bone. REALLY easy to conceal there. With a .380, I can just use a sticky holster and drop it in the pocket of my jeans. (But I'm old and fat now, so no one is really looking...)

BK is right, practice for your real world situation. And especially the Walmart parking lot. Nothing against Walmart but I have been approached more times there than anywhere else in my life. And get some snap caps. You can practice at home every day for different situations (remember its dark out at night so do that too ).

And before we fire up The Caliber War (AGAIN ! ), let me say that shot-placement trumps caliber EVERY SINGLE TIME. A .380 round in the chest is ALWAYS better than a .45 wound in the tree five feet away....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-18-2018 at 6:47 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 7:24 PM
CGSSA Associate

Good for the girls!.....it could save a lot of lives.
Old 12-19-2018, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I've never seen a California rule the you can only draw from the hip when carrying concealed. Or that you need a shirt. (Obviously we're wearing some kind of shirt, or we'd cause a riot...). Just to keep the confusion down to a dull roar, the above may be Front Site rules, but they aren't California rules that I know of.

Oh, just to clarify, I was specifically referring to CCW-type training courses where students are directed on how they are expected to draw regardless of if that's appropriate for the student. I was not making any reference to California laws.
Old 01-02-2019, 2:27 AM

I agree that all the CCW classes I have taken have requirements as to dress, holsters, etc. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:10 PM

And...for the lady who won't carry a gun for whatever reason...a fixed blade fighting knife with a 3" blade...and a little training to go with it...is a great equalizer.

This being my favorite example: https://www.headhunterblades.com/hhb...t=653904609324

Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 01-12-2019 at 8:14 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
And...for the lady who won't carry a gun for whatever reason...a fixed blade fighting knife with a 3" blade...and a little training to go with it...is a great equalizer.

This being my favorite example: https://www.headhunterblades.com/hhb...t=653904609324
Sorry, S, I disagree entirely. Once you are close enough to a Bad Guy to use a knife, you're close enough for him to take it away from you. And he will.

The idea of intimidating a BG by pulling a knife is dangerous nonsense. A woman would be better served by taking a hand-to-hand self defense class designed for women, if she absolutely refuses to carry.

(And by the way, you are NOT allowed to advertise "for sale" items in any forum other than the "for sale by individual" ones. Someone's probably gonna report you to the moderators and you could get banned)

Last edited by BonnieB; 01-14-2019 at 11:42 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 8:05 AM

Thanks for the article.
I do run alone and I do run with earphones in.
I am planning on getting a CCW so that put me on the hunt for a good running holster. I took a look at the one in the article and that led me to the crossbreed belly band modular. I am not ready yet for a holster though, because I have not yet gotten a CCW gun.
The earbuds I use though, has good clarity and I can still clearly hear what is going on around me with both ears in.
Right now, I sometimes run with a knife (better than nothing) and run in well lit closer to home areas when I go in the dark.
Old 01-14-2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, S, I disagree entirely. Once you are close enough to a Bad Guy to use a knife, you're close enough for him to take it away from you. And he will.

The idea of intimidating a BG by pulling a knife is dangerous nonsense. A woman would be better served by taking a hand-to-hand self defense class designed for women, if she absolutely refuses to carry.

(And by the way, you are NOT allowed to advertise "for sale" items in any forum other than the "for sale by individual" ones. Someone's probably gonna report you to the moderators and you could get banned)
Without getting into the details, I think a knife in a trained hand is better than an equally trained empty-hand. The knife's not meant to intimidate, it's meant to get very specific work done. I agree though that a knife in an untrained hand can be worse than an untrained empty-hand - carrying a knife or a gun by itself doesn't necessarily make one safer. The common thread is training and proper mindset which I think we all agree with. Tim Larkin has some good books on violence.
Old 01-14-2019, 4:46 PM

I think Stumpfenhammer's knife-carry suggestion can work for some women in some circumstances. More on that in a minute.

However, in most instances, for "most women", I just kinda feel that a knife is a bad idea. When we consider a face-to-face situation, like a man running up to a woman on the sidewalk, his physical strength is probably going to overpower her enough to gain control of her knife. Plus, he'll probably be pissed that she pulled a knife and it may stoke his aggression. Frankly, men see women as weaker and, physically, we are. Therefore, I'm not confident that a little lady holding a knife out would be much of a deterrent.

Also, we must take into consideration that women, by our nature, tend to not want to hurt people. So, having to stick a blade into someone and slice them is not in our nature. That kind of contact is too personal on a human level. I think that most women would prefer to engage an attacker at a distance via a gun or pepper spray. So, knife training is essential here. Even then, I personally wouldn't want to go "hand-to-hand" in a knife fight with some guy.

That said, I do carry a knife in situations when I cannot reasonably carry a gun. I might have it in my purse (on a date) or in my front jeans pocket while walking in uncertain area. The knife is really more of a last-ditch kind of thing. I have defensive tactics training for how to physically defend against a knife-wielding attacker; but, not training on how to use a knife on an attacker. I personally feel more comfortable using my non-weapon defense tactics against a knife or non-knife holder than knife vs. knife like it's West Side Story or something. That said, a knife could deter the garden variety of homeless bum wanting to steal your phone. A knife probably won't deter the aggressive strong armed robbers that we have walking around the college campus over here.

Take note that I am taller and more athletic/muscular than the average woman. I'm the size and weight of an average man. Plus, I have a warrior/survivor mindset. So, some clown running up to me better be up for a fight. But still....psychologically, I'm not really down for stabbing someone unless I really had to.

The original article/post was related to *running* with a gun. I can't imagine most people would want to go running or jogging with a knife in their hand. They'd have to stop, out-of-breath and attempt to skillfully address an attacker with a knife that's probably sweaty from running with it. For this exercise, I would recommend jogging with a pepper spray. While I was training for my academy, I would go on runs in the evening after I got home from my desk job. It would be dark out and I used to live in a sketchy neighborhood. I had a handheld pepper spray that came in an elastic sleeve with an elastic band to go around one's hand. I could comfortably jog with it in my hand and know that I could immediately spray somebody if needed.

Regardless of which option someone chooses, she should be prepared to train with it and use it. I don't think there's a knife class near me; but, it's something to look into.
Old 02-05-2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
So, we need to do ourselves a favor and train on our own initiative for alternate carries, outfits and circumstances. Ever try drawing from a purse in high heels and a body con dress? I haven't. I can imagine that my stance would be off-kilter due to the heels. Are you a business professional that wears a suit and jacket? Better try drawing with your jacket on as I can imagine that the shoulders would be restricted when you come up to contact ready. Maybe practice carrying heavy grocery bags, drop them on the ground and draw. Or practice drawing and shooting with heavy bags hanging from your shoulders.

During my weekly dry fire practice tonight, I practiced drawing and firing with a purse and jacket hanging off of my shoulder. I also practiced drawing and firing with the purse, jacket, and with a full shopping bag in each hand. I would practice dropping the bags to the ground first, as well as attempting to draw and fire with the shopping bags still hanging from my wrists. I included static drills (standing and drawing) as well as walking up and down my hallway holding the bags and then dropping and drawing once I got to my safe direction.

Great exercises! It was a real eye-opener to learn how awkward it is to get a proper grip on my weapon when I have to drop bags first. I recommend trying this type of exercise for men and women alike.
Old 02-20-2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:

Women DO have special carry needs, since we tend to curve out, where men are flat or curve in. For me, since I'm old and fat, right side appendix is best. I have this inward curve, like a little pocket, between my belly and my hip bone. REALLY easy to conceal there. With a .380, I can just use a sticky holster and drop it in the pocket of my jeans. (But I'm old and fat now, so no one is really looking...)

BK is right, practice for your real world situation. And especially the Walmart parking lot. Nothing against Walmart but I have been approached more times there than anywhere else in my life. And get some snap caps. You can practice at home every day for different situations (remember its dark out at night so do that too ).

And before we fire up The Caliber War (AGAIN ! ), let me say that shot-placement trumps caliber EVERY SINGLE TIME. A .380 round in the chest is ALWAYS better than a .45 wound in the tree five feet away....
There is no such law, but it is how you have to qualify at the end of the CCW class in Lake County. Must draw from external hip holster covered by concealment garment in 3 steps.
Old 02-28-2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:

My statement is primarily based on experience gained from (1) having designed and taught women's self-defense/rape prevention courses, as well as firearms and tactics courses for both sexes (2) training in Japanese and Filipino blade systems (3) training and competing in BJJ and stand-up fighting systems, and (4) supporting and advising my 5' tall significant other on her personal security -- to include taking her from someone who had never touched a gun, to her being able to successfully complete (on her own) a few USPSA matches and a few classes with former Tier One types.

The right H2H class is a good idea, but frankly, the disparity in power and willingness to commit mayhem - between the (average) female and a male predator - makes most short-term H2H training a feel-good bandaid, that could get you killed if it leaves you with an unrealistic sense of confidence. That's not to say that it doesn't have value, just that more needs to be done if a women is serious about her ability to deal with a violent man.

"The idea of intimidating a BG by pulling a knife is dangerous nonsense."

Are you saying that you wouldn't be intimidated by a knife if I pulled one on you? Are you saying you'd rather take a blade to the spleen than a punch to the face? Do you think a predator would be more afraid of the striking power of a woman versus a knife in the groin? Sure, just standing there holding a knife with no idea what to do next is not a good idea....but, based on my experience, it takes a lot less time to make someone lethal with a knife than with their hands and feet.

Many people are concerned with their safety but unwilling to go through the hassle of carrying a gun, or taking self-defense classes. A blade is much better than being unarmed. The point is to not have to depend on your size and strength when you know you will be facing a larger, stronger opponent. If you worried about them taking the blade away and using it on you, do you really think they wouldn't have beaten/strangled you to death if you didn't have the knife? The answer is, decide if your life is in danger, and if it is, pull that blade and get to work.

Regardless, I'm not speaking to intimidation, I'm speaking to self-defense, as committed predators generally aren't prone to intimidation. You pull the blade/gun when you decide it's time to use it, and you use it. The willingness to use that knife (or firearm, or fists) in the face of violence is going to be the first obstacle on the way to surviving.

Another poster mentioned that most of us are not wired to stab (or shoot) another person, and that poster is correct. The answer to that is training yourself to a new mindset, and it can be done. Visualization can be effective if you can't find a trainer who can work with you on that: Close your eyes and run various scenarios in your mind, make them violent and realistic, imagine the threat trying to control you with the most vicious, obscene threats, imagine the fight, and see yourself answering it with even more violence. If you're a mom, imagine you are defending your kids, that momma has to make it through this for them. In a fight for your life, there can be no hesitation, no holding back, no mercy...you get one shot and you better be ready to make it count. Speed, surprise, and violence of action are a proven formula -- you need to make sure your mind isn't what limits your body...You must be comfortable with violence before you get attacked, because learning on the job is not going to work out well.

There is no easy, work-free answer to being prepared to defend yourself. It takes adequate measures of training, tools and willingness. Ted Bundy's victim count would have been drastically lower if the first women he abducted had a blade and the willingness to use it (I recommend reading up on Ted Bundy and how he setup and took down his victims. It's dark, horrible reading, but if one is serious about self-defense, that read will be useful. If you get through that intact, read up on Richard Ramirez).

Lastly, I'm not clear on your admonition regarding "for sale" items. Are you referencing my signature or the link to the knife I posted? I'm happy to adjust, I'm just not sure of what you were addressing and I couldn't find anything in the forum rules that clarified your meaning. Thanks.

Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)

Last edited by Stumpfenhammer; 02-28-2019 at 3:58 PM..
Old 03-02-2019, 12:24 PM

Knives are meant to be felt, not seen.
Old 03-03-2019, 8:13 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

lol, "more weirdos in the blade industry than in the gun industry".
takes a LOT of training to reach his level of expertise and be confident to defend oneself.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-08-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Oh, just to clarify, I was specifically referring to CCW-type training courses where students are directed on how they are expected to draw regardless of if that's appropriate for the student. I was not making any reference to California laws.
I am currently in Reno to take a class to renew my NV permit. I am taking the class from the same company I took my first class from 5 years ago. They specialize working with older people and those with physical issues that interfere with deploying and using a gun the way most are taught. I cannot draw from my waist very well. I suffered with frozen shoulders on both sides for over two years and it took surgery to restore some range of motion. I can draw from my pocket or lower or cross body. A few inches higher into my waist band, I cannot clear the holster on days when my shoulder is giving me fits. When temperatures are below 50, my shoulders do not work well.

I am allowed to draw from my pocket using my sticky holster. I use the sticky holster with a kydex insert. I also were pants with large pockets and I also have several pairs of pants with cargo pockets that are even lower than regular pockets that hold the gun well, keep it well concealed, and allow me to draw it with ease. For qualifying, I am allowed to use the method that works best for me.

What I do not like about most gun classes is they are set up for people with few mobility issues. They assume we all move like twenty year olds. I wish I could. I started shooting handguns and taking classes in shooting because I had a stroke and needed an alternative way to defend myself and my family. The gun works, but I am still limited by my physical capabilities.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 03-12-2019, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I went running with my J frame last week to get a first hand perspective

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1516327

I don't understand why the writer of the article linked above ran with her back to the traffic. I always run facing the traffic. This way I also see bicycles which make almost no noise.