Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-08-2022, 8:13 AM

Default Calico M100?

Can you buy and have one of these shipped to CA from out of State, and own a older Calico M100 .22 there like this in CA..If it makes any difference it was made around the late 1980s when Calico was still in Bakersfield....I told my brother likely not, as it probably has too many "evil" features even as a .22, and manufactured early..

Thanks
Old 12-08-2022, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

The gun itself is fine, it's the mag that's the issue unless you owned it pre 2k or got it during freedom week.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 12-08-2022, 10:44 AM

So there is no grandfather relationship for older ones? I told a guy I cannot sell it to him out there likely..Kinda what I figured.. But if they bought the Rifle, with no mag, and say bought a disassembled magazine as parts separate, that would maybe be fine? It is all just craziness, that I do know.. Thanks

Last edited by AR22; 12-08-2022 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I used to have one when I was a kid. We’d go to Lytle Creek before it was turned into a range and between the capacity and jams one of those magazines would last me like 5 beers.
Old 12-08-2022, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

you can sell the gun, being a rimfire it is exempt from the assault weapon laws. You cannot sell the mag unless it is permintaly blocked to 10 or fewer rounds. Only high cap mags that were already in California when banned are grandfathered in.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:46 AM

Can't legally assemble the magazine even if they were to get all the parts together. Unless they got one during Freedom Week as mentioned above, or owned one before Jan 1st 2000 it's a no go. Or one that is permanently blocked to 10 rounds....
Old 12-08-2022, 12:06 PM

OK got it..Mine does not jam at all with good ammo..I suppose if you try to run Remington Golden Bullets in it or other junk it might..But with CCI MM mine runs flawless. I do not screw around with anything other than CCI in any of my .22s..Had my fill of junk .22 ammo years ago..I do have some crap stuff here I run in single shots and Revolvers though.

Your trigger finger will get tired though...You also have to properly load and wind the mags..Most faults people have with the .22 long Rifle is of their own making I believe. There is an issue with some of the older ones that needed a slight tweak to the feed ramp..The new Calico Company offers this service..Mine however runs perfectly..

I have never owned a 9mm version..I have read problems with those though..True or not or again operator error in effect there too..I do not know for sure..

Not proposing anything "illegal" here..But how would they know when you bought the magazine? Just asking.

Last edited by AR22; 12-08-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Old 12-08-2022, 1:23 PM
retired Goon

The reliability issues have to do with winding the spring in the magazine the correct number of times.

Most people overwind or underwind them, which results in stoppages due to the magazine not feeding correctly.

Overwind the spring too many times and you can damage/destroy it, which results in more magazine woes.

AFAIK...
Post-1993 magazines have a date code indicating when it was made.
From 1994-1998 = magazines were only made for Gov/Mil/LE customers.
Circa 1998 = Calico Firearms relocated to NV and only made replacement parts for their firearms.
From 1998-2005 = no new magazines or magazine parts were being made.
Circa 2006 = Calico Firearms was sold, the new owners established it in OR, and restarted manufacture of firearms and magazines.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-08-2022, 1:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Can you buy and have one of these shipped to CA from out of State, and own a older Calico M100 .22 there like this in CA..If it makes any difference it was made around the late 1980s when Calico was still in Bakersfield....I told my brother likely not, as it probably has too many "evil" features even as a .22, and manufactured early..

Thanks
Assault weapon definitions do not apply to rimfire rifles as they are not centerfire.
As a pistol, it is an assault weapon as the magazine is outside of the pistol grip and there are no rimfire exemptions for pistols.
The main problem is the magazine.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-08-2022, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
But if they bought the Rifle, with no mag, and say bought a disassembled magazine as parts separate, that would maybe be fine?
You can not sell/import a disassembled large capacity magazine into CA as that is considered a "large capacity conversion kit" per the law:

Quote:
32311. (a) Except as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 32400) of this chapter and in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, commencing January 1, 2014, any person in this state who knowingly manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, buys, or receives any large capacity magazine conversion kit is punishable by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) or imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed six months, or by both that fine and imprisonment. This section does not apply to a fully assembled large-capacity magazine, which is governed by Section 32310.
(b) For purposes of this section, a “large capacity magazine conversion kit” is a device or combination of parts of a fully functioning large-capacity magazine, including, but not limited to, the body, spring, follower, and floor plate or end plate, capable of converting an ammunition feeding device into a large-capacity magazine.
(Added by Stats. 2013, Ch. 728, Sec. 2. (AB 48) Effective January 1, 2014.)

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-08-2022, 1:42 PM

Thanks

I had the nice Lady at Calico check my serial number for me..The first thing She said is that is a very early one..She actually had to take the time to go and research the archives to give me a manufacture date as it was not in the computer records or whatever..I think She said mine was made in July of 1989..

The Company started in Bakersfield CA in 1982..But I do not think they actually produced any Firearms till 1985 in Bakersfield..I think the M100 model like mine was introduced in 1986..

They did not move to Sparks NV until I think 1998..Mine is for sure made well before that in Bakersfield at the original location..Mine is a very low serial number..

I have two more magazines, the one shown in the pic is an older mag, but it has a newer clear smoke cover on it now..I kinda like that as you can see the rounds as you shoot it..My other two mags are the regular early black covers..

Not that it probably matters, but this is NOT a Pistol..It is a Rifle..The stock is just folded up in the photo..

Last edited by AR22; 12-08-2022 at 1:47 PM..
Old 12-08-2022, 2:08 PM

Sorry, just checked what I wrote down on the date the Lady at Calico told me mine was made, Aug 28th 1986..So mine is likely a first year production of the M100 Model.

Just a side note..I think they started making the thumbhole stock models to comply with the Clinton "assault" weapons ban..

Mine is also marked with just the patent pending marking..A short time later after the early ones..They started putting patent dates on em..

Last edited by AR22; 12-08-2022 at 4:03 PM..