Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-08-2021, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Current FMV for small pistol primers?

I have come into a few thousand small pistol primers... wondering what they are worth in todays market...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-08-2021, 8:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Look at gunbroker for the high water mark.
Old 05-08-2021, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigguy552 View Post
Look at gunbroker for the high water mark.
Thanks, looks like about $300 / 1000 is the general asking price.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Thanks, looks like about $300 / 1000 is the general asking price.
It depends on how long a seller re prepared to hold on to them, how quickly supply catches up with demand, whether the seller is prepared and willing to ship them, and probably a couple other factors.

I've been advising someone who's trying to sell her husband's collection of firearms stuff and suggesting primers would move quite easily at $120/thousand. If someone wants to buy them at that price and flip them for a higher price, then THEY take the risk of an unexpected market turn that leaves them with a loss. Musical chairs comes to mind.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
It depends on how long a seller re prepared to hold on to them, how quickly supply catches up with demand, whether the seller is prepared and willing to ship them, and probably a couple other factors.
The gunbroker market would be a lot more competitive except that most people are not able to ship them.

Quote:
I've been advising someone who's trying to sell her husband's collection of firearms stuff and suggesting primers would move quite easily at $120/thousand. If someone wants to buy them at that price and flip them for a higher price, then THEY take the risk of an unexpected market turn that leaves them with a loss. Musical chairs comes to mind.
They can likely get more than that. Why should they shortchange themselves?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
They can likely get more than that. Why should they shortchange themselves?
The way I look at this, they might be able to get more than $120, but other factors come into play, like whether the local demand is there, how quickly they might want to sell, and what others are paying.

From work I did in another life, I've got at least a rudimentary understanding of how markets with posted prices and lots of transactions work. In those cases, the fair market value is blindingly obvious.

The secondary market for primers isn't like that at all. Folks on Gunbroker may be able to get as much as $300 but I haven't seen any postings like that in the Marketplace forum and I've also seen asking prices at $150 and above sit for quite a while. Maybe the aggregate demand for primers in LA is greater than it is up in the mountains where I live. If I don't NEED to sell primers I might be willing to hold out for a higher price, but if I need cash my situation is different.

To some extent the same considerations affect prices for things like oil, gasoline and lumber. Gasoline is a buck a gallon more expensive where I live than it is in Reno, but no more than perhaps 30 cents of the differential is due to state taxes, and I know that because if I drive just a short distance to the east of Truckee, the price of regular unleaded is 70 cents cheaper than it is at the outlets a mile from where I live. Why is that? Because there are only two stations in town and they've figured out what kind of premium they can charge.

BTW I'm not suggesting sellers should shortchange themselves, but there can be more to pricing decisions than using the highest asking price as a guide.
Old 05-08-2021, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
The way I look at this, they might be able to get more than $120, but other factors come into play, like whether the local demand is there, how quickly they might want to sell, and what others are paying.

From work I did in another life, I've got at least a rudimentary understanding of how markets with posted prices and lots of transactions work. In those cases, the fair market value is blindingly obvious.

The secondary market for primers isn't like that at all. Folks on Gunbroker may be able to get as much as $300 but I haven't seen any postings like that in the Marketplace forum and I've also seen asking prices at $150 and above sit for quite a while. Maybe the aggregate demand for primers in LA is greater than it is up in the mountains where I live. If I don't NEED to sell primers I might be willing to hold out for a higher price, but if I need cash my situation is different.

To some extent the same considerations affect prices for things like oil, gasoline and lumber. Gasoline is a buck a gallon more expensive where I live than it is in Reno, but no more than perhaps 30 cents of the differential is due to state taxes, and I know that because if I drive just a short distance to the east of Truckee, the price of regular unleaded is 70 cents cheaper than it is at the outlets a mile from where I live. Why is that? Because there are only two stations in town and they've figured out what kind of premium they can charge.

BTW I'm not suggesting sellers should shortchange themselves, but there can be more to pricing decisions than using the highest asking price as a guide.
The market is always an efficient pricing tool. I may post 1000 in the classifieds and see where pricing equilibrium is.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-08-2021, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

$120 is a bargain now I easily got $150 per k for some. Whn turners has them 10 per hundred with a limit plus tax.
Old 05-08-2021, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

These prices are F'ing crazy. Don't need any at those prices. Don't need them anyway. Wonder if some will learn from THIS shortage? Damn.

MLC
Old 05-08-2021, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
These prices are F'ing crazy. Don't need any at those prices. Don't need them anyway. Wonder if some will learn from THIS shortage? Damn.

MLC
No, people never learn, that's why history always repeats itself. Ill list them high and see how low they go before they sell. I don't reload so I don't need em...just a fun little experiment.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 05-09-2021, 10:32 AM

They sell fast at $120.00 per thousand. Federal primers seem to get a bit more.
Old 05-09-2021, 2:42 PM

Ive seen that guy selling primers for $170 bump his fs thread quite a few times. They don't seem to be moving.

The 120-150's move in a few days. Maybe some dumbass is biting those $200+ sales on GunBroker, but who knows. There's kind of a lot going for $150, especially in socal.
Old 05-09-2021, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The vast majority of sellers are I llegally shipping them on gunbroker so in that sense, the prices there do reflect market efficiency.
Old 05-10-2021, 2:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
Ive seen that guy selling primers for $170 bump his fs thread quite a few times. They don't seem to be moving.

The 120-150's move in a few days. Maybe some dumbass is biting those $200+ sales on GunBroker, but who knows. There's kind of a lot going for $150, especially in socal.
The world is wider than calguns classifieds.
Old 05-10-2021, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Gougers abound! Anybody paying these extortion prices are, well.......,
F'ing crazy. Man oh man.

MLC
Old 05-11-2021, 8:03 AM

$100-150 on here moves. Anything more sits...my 2 cents
Old 05-12-2021, 4:37 PM

Right now, $120 will sell quickly. If you have patience, you can get $140-150. We're down from the peak earlier in the year, where $150-200 was the norm.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:13 PM

Or you can trade them for something you want but haven't been able to get or are willing to pay nosebleed prices for. If no money changes hands in an exchange that leaves both parties satisfied, it's possible to say that nobody has bought or sold at inflated dollar prices.
Old 05-15-2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
No, people never learn, that's why history always repeats itself. Ill list them high and see how low they go before they sell. I don't reload so I don't need em...just a fun little experiment.
Oh please, as if you predicted that there would be a major pandemic and component shortage.

Be sure to add CRPA as your charity in Amazon Smile.
Old 05-16-2021, 8:30 PM

Pandemic? Not in living memory. Component shortages? Multiple times in my reloading career, and that only goes back just shy of 30 years.

From the marketplace ads, while it took a few bumps, looks like the OP got his price ($170/K).
Old 05-16-2021, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

For $185/k, I'd sell 1000 S&B climate-controlled (in house, not garage) ammo-canned SPP, w/out delay... ... ...
One would have to pickup locally, maybe in the Temecula Valley...
This would only leave me with ONLY 900 left, but I am SURE I won't shoot ALL those before I move to TX... AND KEEP my pay...
I have SRP and a hammer handgun, so SRPs work fine for me, IF I let some SPP's go...

Any takers (PM's only...)?
Free stating we will go...

Last edited by the86d; 05-16-2021 at 10:16 PM..
Old 05-17-2021, 7:31 AM

For those deciding a few bucks by shipping primers:

From a hazmat training provider:
Effective July 31, 2019, US DOT has increased civil penalties for Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) violations. With hazmat civil penalties assessed on a per day, per violation basis, even minor increases to these penalty amounts can add up quickly.

Civil penalties for hazmat violations—including failure to train employees—are assessed by DOT PHMSA, FAA, FRA, FMCSA, and other modal agencies, and are adjusted annually to keep pace with inflation.

The new civil penalty amounts are as follows:
The maximum civil penalty for a violation of hazardous materials transportation law (49 U.S.C. 5123(a)(1)) increased from $79,976 to $81,993 per day, per violation.
For a violation that results in death, serious illness, severe injury, or substantial property damage, the civil penalty rose from $186,610 to $191,316.
Old 05-17-2021, 1:05 PM

I've found them from $36-$90 per brick at the different sporting goods stores near me