Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-04-2019, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Default Recommendations for good long range shooting book...mil/mil

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good long range rifle instruction book...ideally a text that deals specifically with MIL/MIL.

I have a book that computes all the exercises in MOA and its ok.

...I do understand that i can do yet another computation to convert, however I was hoping to find a text that specifically dealt with the mil/mil format from the get go as that is what my scope is configured.

thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 AM

Mildot Master + Long Range Shooting Handbook might be of use.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM

You mention "long range rifle instruction" - what specifically are you looking for instruction on?
Old 01-07-2019, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

interested in learning the fundamentals of long range shooting for PRS. I have a mil/mil scope and the book i purchased (though a good read) was predominately written for the MOA platform. I know i can do yet another calculation to go from MOA to Mil but i would imagine there must be a more streamlined method.
Old 01-07-2019, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Calculation for what? The only the you need to calculate is range estimation. In order to do that you have to know the target size. Yes there is a formula for that in mils, you can Google it and find that.

Other than that, your reticle is just a measuring tool. Doesn't matter of its in MOA, MILS, or Zebras. If you miss and need to make a correction, just measure with your reticle what the correction is, and hold that difference. If your using MIL and most other PRS guys are as well, they'll give you corrections in MILS. So you'll be speaking the same values. I hold the belief that people make the MOA vs MIL thing way more complex then it needs to be
Old 01-08-2019, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

i understand, thank you
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM

I guess it depends what you are trying to do. I'm pretty sure PRS gives you the distances but maybe I'm wrong. If you do know the distances then you don't need to worry about it but here is how I'd do it.

1. Use a laser rangefinder or..
2. take a look at using the retical How to calculate distance mil

This article seems pretty interesting Gavins First PRS Match The Gear

I havn't read this entire book but it comes highly recommended.
Long Range Shooting Handbook. The author also has a podcast that I like.
Have you checked out the SnypersHide or long range hunting website?

I've never shot PRS and don't consider myself an experienced long range shooter. I've done some shooting out to 950 yards and I've got a lot to learn myself. I'm curious where you are in your learning. What rifle/cartage do you use?What distances have you shot? Are you actually planning on shooting PRS or if you just want to go out to the desert and shoot long distance. I'd like to get out and shoot a match but I'm not at that point yet so I'm just doing stuff in the desert. I'd actually like to meat up with people in Southern CA that like getting out and doing the same.

I'm currently working with a Savage 12 RLP for my longer range stuff (I'll probably look at a tikka T3x or Ruger precision next) and play with my Savage Storm (light hunting rifle with a thin barrel) to see how far I can take it--about 600 yards on a 12" plate at this point and Its but I'm really just starting out with long range. I reload for both in 6.5 creedmoor. Scope vortex viper pst 6-24x50 GEN I. Thinking about getting a used vortex Razor HD gen 1.

What rifle/scope are you using?
Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 AM

Cleckner's book is really good from what I hear. Have yet to buy it.

Also, check the long range shooting videos on NSSF's YouTube page. Ryan covers MIL, MOA, range estimation, etc. Some of it is basic, but he explains it really well
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I am new to PRS but it is a known distance exercise. They give you the distance down to the nearest yard or meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just curious how fine are the subtensions in a typical Mil reticle? People talk about ranging with a Mil reticle, which makes sense for UKD events. But for spotting your own shots, holdovers, and corrections, you need some pretty fine subtensions. For example, 1 Mil at 600yds is about 22 inches. The steel silhouettes they were using at Pendleton were 18" in width. If you just missed it, a 1 Mil hold should hit it. At 800yds 1 Mil is almost 30", so holding that 1 Mil probably will miss on the opposite side.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Regardless of Mil vs MOA, reading the wind and understanding what value to assign it is the most important thing to learn from your books.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
I'm just curious how fine are the subtensions in a typical Mil reticle? People talk about ranging with a Mil reticle, which makes sense for UKD events. But for spotting your own shots, holdovers, and corrections, you need some pretty fine subtensions. For example, 1 Mil at 600yds is about 22 inches. The steel silhouettes they were using at Pendleton were 18" in width. If you just missed it, a 1 Mil hold should hit it. At 800yds 1 Mil is almost 30", so holding that 1 Mil probably will miss on the opposite side.
There are so many options, it all depends on the reticle.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post

The vortex Viper PST EBR reticle is pretty popular
It has ticks at 0.5 mil near the crosshairs so you could mentally break that up into about 0.25 mil. Near the edges of the reticle it has 0.2 mil ticks. The crosshair itself is 0.04 mil thick.

0.5 mil @ 1000 = 18"
0.25 mil @ 1000 = 9"
0.2 mil @ 1000 =7.2"
0.04 mil @ 1000 = 1.44"
Obviously some of that is too fine to use @ 1000 yards.

So, if at 800 yards you were just of the left side of the target...well you'd just hold on the right side to hit the center but if you wanted to use the ticks then lets assume you hit 1" to the left of the target so you need to come 10" to the right to hit center. 28.8" per mil @ 800 yards so 10"/28.8" = 0.34 mil so you want to hold .34 mil windage. I'd hold between 0 mil and 0.5 mil and expect to hit 1" left of center. If you saw your own hit you wouldn't do the math. You'd see it hit about 0.25 mil left and just 0.25 mil right.

I guess a more practical example is if you saw your hit about 3 targets to the left. You'd measure it with the retical and bring it that much right. Your estimation of how far off you are is probably more limiting then the ticks on the reticle.

Last edited by SoCal326; 01-23-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. The .5 mil tick marks make sense. Way better than the old "football" Mil-dots and trying to make adjustments at 800yds.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 01-23-2019 at 4:15 PM..