Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 04-05-2021, 8:52 PM

Default .177 bore sighter arbor

Hello all,

Anyone know a place where I can buy a single .177 bore arbor to use with my optic bore sighter? Been looking online, all I can find is the .177 arbor in a kit, which I already have. Don't want to spend $50+ on another kit to get the .177 arbor.

Thanks,

Sideline Shooter
Old 04-05-2021, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Will the manufacturer sell a replacement?

I have never seen one sold outside of the kit.

“If I can’t make it, I’ll take it”-1980s

Schedule time to take new gun owners to the range
Old 04-05-2021, 9:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have the barska type kit, you can always use the correct size drill bit or brass rod as a substitute

“If I can’t make it, I’ll take it”-1980s

Schedule time to take new gun owners to the range
Old 04-06-2021, 11:20 AM

Zeroing an air rifle is literally a 3 shot affair and seeing what it is can be done inside a garage or even a hallway inside if you deal with the safety concerns. Unlike firearms you can put on on paper at 10' and then head to your favorite distance and zero with less than 3 pellets if your gun/optics are accurate.

We used to get on paper just lining up the rifle using bags and fire one pellet on a large sheet of butcher paper and then adjust the optic to match the POI. From there head to 30 yards and you'll be close enough it won't matter. Adjust again and then go for the final. After that group and you're done.

If you are using a break barrel bore sighters aren't all that helpful since most have a downward angle between the muzzle and receiver. If you use an optic is gets even more difficult.

A hint, print a target using your PC and printer and place a graduated scale on it. Then when you fire that first pellet you have a built-in adjustment figure to work from.
Old 04-06-2021, 4:43 PM

Start zeroing at 10 feet, by shooting at a target in front of a trap that you can't miss. Then at 10 yards. Then at 25 yards, or whatever range you care about. You can even do this standing offhand.

When you are close, you can refine your zero off a steady rest. If shooting a spring air rifle, groups off a bench will often be shifted compared to offhand or field expedient rests. They will often be wider rested unless you place you open hand between rest and forearm.

A bore sighter is not magic. Barrel whip is going to force you to refine your sight setting anyway. Even with a PCP. If you use a bore sighter, then shoot at 50 yards, you could be off by a foot.

Bore sigters are a waste of money. They are intended for those who think you can buy good results, rather than figure out simple techniques that are actually better.

By the way, you would get more focused advice, if you state what air rifle you are trying to zero. What sight/scope, and the height above the bore. Or you could just buy another bore sighter...
Old 04-06-2021, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

My Bushnell kit came with a .17 arbor.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")