Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-26-2018, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
During the fire up here 3 years ago they closed the roads going to the ranch. We just took alternative routes to get in and out.

A makeshift roadblock with vehicles sounds like a shooting gallery to me.
Yeah, but who is the duck? We know exactly where to shoot to hit the driver. The people manning the roadblock will be dispersed, and concealed to some degree.
Old 11-26-2018, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
never use main roads and use a motorcycle, preferably something like a off road 250cc
Fail, how am I supposed to carry all my guns and ammo on a dirtbike?

ETA: NVM just need some friends

Last edited by God Bless America; 11-26-2018 at 7:36 PM..
Old 11-26-2018, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
if you see dogs as your children, you fail at life.
You're not on nextdoor.com apparently. They call them "furbabies."
Old 11-26-2018, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Well in that case please send me the full list of how I should live my life so that I can be judged a success by a nameless/faceless random person on the internet. Thank you so much for your valuable opinion, I am eager to comply . . .
Start by buying a Mini-14.
Old 11-26-2018, 7:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Old 11-26-2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:

Shoot the driver
Old 11-26-2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Chuckle all you want, but even though all the neighbors have a wide variety of semi auto rifles, the mini-14 is the go to for our rural community.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterJones View Post
YThere's a couple of 4x4 trails that would work, but of course he doesn't own a 4x4 vehicle.
IMO, this is a significant oversight given the location and the planned evac route. If you can travel off road it opens up many other options in that part of the world. In this situation I'd probably be planning the off road route as my primary evac route.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 11-27-2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but who is the duck? We know exactly where to shoot to hit the driver. The people manning the roadblock will be dispersed, and concealed to some degree.
Its clear you have never tried to stop a moving vehicle with a rifle, especially when they are shooting back. Its not like the movies.
Old 11-28-2018, 2:08 AM
Veteran Member

This is another one of those “I watch too much of “The Walking Dead” threads.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-28-2018, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
Chuckle all you want, but even though all the neighbors have a wide variety of semi auto rifles, the mini-14 is the go to for our rural community.
I like them just fine, but the mere mention of them gives some people apoplectic fits. My bad, though - it's ChuckDizzle who hates them, not ChuckD.

Last edited by God Bless America; 11-28-2018 at 8:42 AM..
Old 11-28-2018, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Its clear you have never tried to stop a moving vehicle with a rifle, especially when they are shooting back. Its not like the movies.
It is true that I have not. But that does not mean I am not correct. Have you been the shooter on both sides of a roadblock situation? Have you, in your experience on both sides of a roadblock shootout, found it easier to be the driver, or the person manning the roadblock?

I don't want to be on either side if a roadblock shootout; but if I must pick, I would not choose to be the driver. Would you?

Last edited by God Bless America; 11-28-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Nope, had 4 children served in combat roles in Iraq and Afghanistan. Two of them still serve in combat roles.

Although my sons James Abrams M1A2 never had a problem on the giving and receiving end his brother had people killed in his company by car mounted bombs they couldn't stop in time. They hated check point duty due to the danger. They never knew when people would just drive up and start shooting.

Just setting up a safe check point where they were able to make cars and trucks slow down took days to construct. Follow the posted rules coming up to the check point or die. They really hated people on motorcycles.

They never set up without armor, either Abrams and or a couple Bradley's with Tow missiles. They were always getting shot at from all sides.
Old 11-28-2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post
if you see dogs as your children, you fail at life.
Don't be such an ***. Some people can't have kids... and before you say it, adoption isn't possible for everyone. You buy a puppy, raise it, feed it, clean it, clean up after it, train it, & love it. That's pretty damn close to having a child (all except the buying part)

I have 2 kids & 2 German Shepherds. There are many days I prefer my German Shepherds

I would take risks to save them... though maybe not to the extreme I would to save my wife & children.
Old 11-28-2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
If you kill the driver, the moving vehicle will eventually stop. The ambushers are likely trying not to disable the vehicle, but to kill the driver and passengers.
In an ambush, you will likely be shooting as cover fire or at multiple targets. All it takes is one ambusher who is confident enough not to duck when shots fly to make a good shot.
Old 11-28-2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
If you kill the driver, the moving vehicle will eventually stop. The ambushers are likely trying not to disable the vehicle, but to kill the driver and passengers.
In an ambush, you will likely be shooting as cover fire or at multiple targets. All it takes is one ambusher who is confident enough not to duck when shots fly to make a good shot.
Can you explain how we got from a road block to a ambush. I'm a little confused.
Old 11-28-2018, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you're in SoCal when TEOTWAWKI hits you ain't getting out via any roads. So unless you have a helo in your backyard, or live right next to the airport and own a plane there, you need to just hunker down where you are. You've got everything you need there; everyone else is in an exit panic.

Your scenario assumes an open highway with a roadblock ahead. The reality is that you won't be the only one on the road. There will be (literally) millions of others with the same mindset as you-panic. If you attempt to escape on the highway, you'll die along with those millions.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you explain how we got from a road block to a ambush. I'm a little confused.
A roadblock after SHTF that ends in a shootout? If they have people in concealed firing positions shooting at you, consider yourself ambushed.
It's much easier while stationary behind cover and concentrate your fire on a 5' wide target moving towards you than shooting at dispersed multiple targets across several lanes of roadway from a moving vehicle.

Last edited by autoduel; 11-29-2018 at 12:30 AM..
Old 11-29-2018, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoduel View Post
A roadblock after SHTF that ends in a shootout? If they have people in concealed firing positions shooting at you, consider yourself ambushed.
It's much easier while stationary behind cover and concentrate your fire on a 5' wide target moving towards you than shooting at dispersed multiple targets across several lanes of roadway from a moving vehicle.
Exactly what I think. Neither place is good, but one is much worse than the other.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAA! I'd like to see someone throw a steel pipe in that wheel & see what happens.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Nobody is leaving a big city, your freeways will be parking lots.

Better to have already escaped years befor SHTF.

Better to bug in if you are stupid enough to be around when IT happens.
^^^^^

In other news, I'm out
Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
^^^^^

In other news, I'm out
Smart man, you will live to see another day.
Old 12-02-2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I like them just fine, but the mere mention of them gives some people apoplectic fits. My bad, though - it's ChuckDizzle who hates them, not ChuckD.
I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle, I wouldn't say it's the best rifle I have, but it's not the worst either.
Old 12-03-2018, 6:02 PM

Take the Rail Road route, will not be packed with cars if SHTF.
Not many cars can handle the rocky RR routes. So having the
right truck counts big.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

In that sort of world, I wonder what the fortitude for manning a road block 24 / 7 is. I would think it would be at its weakest between 3am and 6am (that would be the best time to travel anyway I think).
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 12-07-2018, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Yea, no way I would risk that with family.. but ultimately roadblocks are failures waiting to happen.

What happens when someone starts sniping the roadblock from a distance out of the roadblocks range?

As said, roadblocks are fine for unarmed people control, not so much when there's resistance.

Best option is go around. Of course, nobody in SoCal urban areas are going anywhere in the parking lot that would come with a real disaster.. except maybe by air or sea (or possibly overland by off road vehicle)
I have a high tech solution for you (this assumes we are in the early stages of a problem of course where you have charged batteries).

There are now semi-affordable drones that have flight times of 30 minutes. Assuming you are traveling slow at say 30mph in this area that means a battery every 15 miles. Have enough batteries and you can scout ahead of your car through troubled areas.
For you to believe globalization can continue, you have to believe it doesn't require increased consumption and that the Americans will continue to bleed and die so that the Chinese can access energy. - Peter Zeihan
Old 12-07-2018, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Just flash you Tribal Elder Card and get waived on through.

Don't have a Tribal Elders Card??? Then coming on the Rez during SHTF is a real bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 12-07-2018, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Easy, if you are male, fat, ugly and you look poor "not very well equipt" they won't bother you. So be fat ugly and poor.
Old 12-14-2018, 1:04 PM

As to the OP,

If I was able to see it they were able to see me; not good. I'd turn around and try to get as far away as I could back. If I could find a space that seemed safe some distance back I'd stop and then hike up to get a good field view of the roadblock and watch what happens to others going through it. Because I'd assume they saw my vehicle I'd try to change its appearance some how, hide valuables that I need, and prepare a fair payment for their passage (assuming I saw others pass). Ride up, treat with respect, pay up and politely ask to move along. Be prepared for SHTF if it doesn't happen I'll make it easier on the next guy by taking a couple of them with me.
Old 12-14-2018, 2:53 PM

OP here.

Thanks for all the perspectives. Even the guy with the dogs, cause knowing there's folks out there that will kill you for pets while we have law and order, just imagine how things will change when there's no 911 to call.
Old 12-21-2018, 8:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In the scenario described a single vehicle is dead meat long before you meet the roadblock.

If you want to go traveling, form a convoy with other vehicles fleeing Armageddon.

The main convoy should never get to a roadblock because you have scouts out ahead and above on the high ground. The convoy may have to move in fits and starts while the scouts clear the route of travel. While the convoy waits, it laagers in a suitable location that is not dominated by high ground.

The scouts can check for routes around the roadblock or negotiate for passage.

If your group is ambushed, don't stop to shoot back, drive like hell through the kill zone and then flank and assault. If your group is stopped by disabled vehicles or barriers, assault into the ambush.

Or, don't leave home to begin with. Being a refugee group, even armed, is usually a losing proposition.

Last edited by smle-man; 12-21-2018 at 8:42 PM..
Old 12-22-2018, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nope, had 4 children served in combat roles in Iraq and Afghanistan. Two of them still serve in combat roles.

Although my sons James Abrams M1A2 never had a problem on the giving and receiving end his brother had people killed in his company by car mounted bombs they couldn't stop in time. They hated check point duty due to the danger. They never knew when people would just drive up and start shooting.

Just setting up a safe check point where they were able to make cars and trucks slow down took days to construct. Follow the posted rules coming up to the check point or die. They really hated people on motorcycles.

They never set up without armor, either Abrams and or a couple Bradley's with Tow missiles. They were always getting shot at from all sides.
Even though I think this thread is a case of watching too much of The Walking Dead, I’ll respond to this one.

You’re kind of comparing apples to oranges. Most of the vehicle scenarios you’re referring to in Iraq and Afghanistan are suicide bombers. A good majority of those guys are shot to hell and wounded, or even dead, by the time their SVBIED rolls up to the target and blows up. So because they’re hard to disable the SVBIED before it kills you, you still lose in this scenario if the roadblock fires on you.

Edit to add:
If the roadblock is any decent, it will have alternating barricades set on the road ahead to force vehicles to slow down while they zig zag around them. They also stop a vehicle from rolling closer once the driver is shot and can’t navigate them. Google ECP - entry control point. If you see this, they know what they’re doing and that should be considered.

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 12-22-2018 at 3:32 PM..
Old 12-23-2018, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

To all who think you are going to run a road block that you happen to come upon are delusional.

If you happen to come upon a roadblock . . . you have already failed.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 12-24-2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif 15-22 View Post
To all who think you are going to run a road block that you happen to come upon are delusional.

If you happen to come upon a roadblock . . . you have already failed.
And people that think the "Road Blockers" are without risk are too.
Old 12-24-2018, 7:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Wait for air support.

Old 12-26-2018, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And people that think the "Road Blockers" are without risk are too.
On which side would you rather be?
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

It all depends. A couple of guys with AR15 behind a crap pile barricade is probably an easy one to storm through. However a well-equipped roadblock made out of sandbags, spike strips on the road, 50BMG or another large-caliber weapon, flank protected is non-passable, unless you have an armored truck. Each situation is different, there is no universal recipe here, except a broad advice to avoid it.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
On which side would you rather be?
I don't have that type of exposure. Never will. If things ever do go to heck, we will disable the bridges going to the ranch in both directions and put people on foot. I don't want anybody to be able to drive up to my place with a vehicle.

Its 21 miles one way and 18 the other from the bridges.
Old 12-26-2018, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A couple of rounds through the radiator will disable most vehicles in short order.

Regardless of which side you're on, it is something to consider.
Old 12-26-2018, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I an so confused, I thought road blocks were why we bought the RPG's. If not for roadblocks what are they for???

Hate carrying things I can't use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run