Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Default couple ar15 noob quickies

where do i lube? i'm thinking bcg, but my calcatch feel kinda rough, i may put a drop on the bolt catch.

how can i eliminate the buffer twang? simple solution or do i have to buy one of those captured springs? seems silly to drop upwards of 140 on a buffer and spring
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Have you shot your AR much? The twang is part of the system

Unless you are building a competition gun, don’t mind the twang.

Some will polish the system.

Compress the spring on a rod - metal or wood- polish the outside of the spring
Lots of ways to polish the spring.

Take the buffer tub- polish the inside.
The goal is not to remove metal... the goal is to smooth the system. You will take off some metal but is should be a very little amount.

Lube- the cannon the bolt gets some grease
The charging handle slides inside the upper. You can bend it if you pull it back at an angle. If the finish is wearing on one side more than the other, check your technique. A little grease on the sides (contact) surfaces on the chasing handle.

The flat on the bottom of the bolt carrier(Polish this too) gets grease where it resets the hammer.

If there is direct contact- metal on metal, you want lube. I leave the bolt face dry as carbon contaminated the lube with shot 1.

Do you have a:
Fighting rifle?
Hunting rifle?
Game rifle? (3gun)

Hands down, I would spend money on an awesome trigger before ever worrying about the recoil spring system working 100% as designed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by hermosabeach; 01-11-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Love the twang... or buy geiselle’s buffer spring its a nice piece and much lass than a captured spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM

I listen for the lack of twang to let me know that the bolt has locked back on the last round in the magazine.
Old 01-11-2019, 2:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default couple ar15 noob quickies

Light coat of white lithium grease on outside of spring, light bit on inside of buffer tube, and shoot, let the system polish itself.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 01-11-2019, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wink Just gotta' do it...

You should always clean your guns after every use - except when you shouldn't. Powder residue will corrode your barrel except you'll wear your barrel out cleaning it. Softer than gunmetal bronze and/or nylon brushes can't possibly wear your barrel out but never use cotton patches as they'll ruin the crown and wear the barrel prematurely. You should always coat the inside of a freshly cleaned barrel with gun oil, except that will hydro-lock your gun next time you fire it so you really should use {insert fave brand of CLP here}. Dirty barrels are far more accurate than clean ones except nothing centers like a freshly cleaned barrel. Barrel accuracy degrades, and corrosion sets in after the third round, except for the guy who has shot exactly 15,348,723 rounds since the last cleaning and his barrel looks brand new. The previous is only valid if you use {insert fave brand of ammo here}. If you use {insert hated brand of ammo here}, your barrel will tie itself into a knot, and your cat will barf on your computer keyboard. Match shooters clean their barrels every 10-15 rounds, except the champ who has never cleaned his 50 Y.O. gun. Hoppe's #9 was good enough for grandpa, its good enough for me; but its outdated and you really should use {insert fave CLP here}. You should only run patches with a loop unless you're using a jag. Never use bronze brushes, nylon ones are clearly inferior. You'll wear your gun out cleaning it, except you'll wear it out from the unburned grit and glass particles left by every shot! Don't ever let your cleaning rod touch the inside of the barrel as soft aluminum will damage a hard steel barrel, except that the aluminum oxide on the soft aluminum rod will abrade the barrel. But soft brass/bronze rods won't hurt anything except you should use stainless steel as it doesn't flex as much. Don't forget to always brush or swab from the breech to the muzzle as this is the way the bullet travels - except swabbing/brushing from the muzzle to the breech reverses the the "flow" of crud so it won't migrate from the chamber to the farthest parts of the barrel. If you shot corrosive ammo, spray Windex down the barrel but never use ammonia under these circumstances, put your gun in the dishwasher instead. A good, stiff cleaning rod is best; especially when it is a nice flexible cleaning cord. One should always use a 1 piece rod, the 3 sectioned ones travel better. Clean your gun at the range, but its OK to wait until you get home. Never use {whatever} to clean your rifle, it will cause flash rust within .0352 microseconds; its far better to use {another whatever} because it will cause buildup that will clog your barrel the very first time its used. Its best to use the {whatever military} cleaning technique except its outdated and ineffective; better to use the technique employed by {whatever police dept.} as everyone knows all cops' guns are perpetually dirty. The 15 step, all intensive, 3 hour, 18 patch method is best, just run 1 patch through the bbl and throw the gun back in the truck for next time.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 01-11-2019, 4:05 PM

Strike Industries flat wire buffer spring. About $20.
Old 01-11-2019, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
You should always clean your guns after every use - except when you shouldn't. Powder residue will corrode your barrel except you'll wear your barrel out cleaning it. Softer than gunmetal bronze and/or nylon brushes can't possibly wear your barrel out but never use cotton patches as they'll ruin the crown and wear the barrel prematurely. You should always coat the inside of a freshly cleaned barrel with gun oil, except that will hydro-lock your gun next time you fire it so you really should use {insert fave brand of CLP here}. Dirty barrels are far more accurate than clean ones except nothing centers like a freshly cleaned barrel. Barrel accuracy degrades, and corrosion sets in after the third round, except for the guy who has shot exactly 15,348,723 rounds since the last cleaning and his barrel looks brand new. The previous is only valid if you use {insert fave brand of ammo here}. If you use {insert hated brand of ammo here}, your barrel will tie itself into a knot, and your cat will barf on your computer keyboard. Match shooters clean their barrels every 10-15 rounds, except the champ who has never cleaned his 50 Y.O. gun. Hoppe's #9 was good enough for grandpa, its good enough for me; but its outdated and you really should use {insert fave CLP here}. You should only run patches with a loop unless you're using a jag. Never use bronze brushes, nylon ones are clearly inferior. You'll wear your gun out cleaning it, except you'll wear it out from the unburned grit and glass particles left by every shot! Don't ever let your cleaning rod touch the inside of the barrel as soft aluminum will damage a hard steel barrel, except that the aluminum oxide on the soft aluminum rod will abrade the barrel. But soft brass/bronze rods won't hurt anything except you should use stainless steel as it doesn't flex as much. Don't forget to always brush or swab from the breech to the muzzle as this is the way the bullet travels - except swabbing/brushing from the muzzle to the breech reverses the the "flow" of crud so it won't migrate from the chamber to the farthest parts of the barrel. If you shot corrosive ammo, spray Windex down the barrel but never use ammonia under these circumstances, put your gun in the dishwasher instead. A good, stiff cleaning rod is best; especially when it is a nice flexible cleaning cord. One should always use a 1 piece rod, the 3 sectioned ones travel better. Clean your gun at the range, but its OK to wait until you get home. Never use {whatever} to clean your rifle, it will cause flash rust within .0352 microseconds; its far better to use {another whatever} because it will cause buildup that will clog your barrel the very first time its used. Its best to use the {whatever military} cleaning technique except its outdated and ineffective; better to use the technique employed by {whatever police dept.} as everyone knows all cops' guns are perpetually dirty. The 15 step, all intensive, 3 hour, 18 patch method is best, just run 1 patch through the bbl and throw the gun back in the truck for next time.

Paragraphs are your friends.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
Old 01-11-2019, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Light coat of white lithium grease on outside of spring, light bit on inside of buffer tube, and shoot, let the system polish itself.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
This=cheap.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:25 PM

One drop of oil in the exhaust port of BCG for the rings.

Robert
Old 01-14-2019, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

lucas oil on the gas rings, grease on the trigger/sear face, and maybe on your buffer if thats your thing.
Old 01-14-2019, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

Lube?

Don't need no stinkin' lube.

Going to shoot one of my rifles this Thursday that hasn't seen lube/cleaning for over +3 years. It's been to Texas a few times shooting both suppressed and unsuppressed.

For the other rifles that I do lube, CLP works.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 01-14-2019, 4:21 PM

I'm always surprised by the questions posted on this site when a simple search on youtube/google will provide the answers people seek.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Paragraphs are your friends.
As well as Bore Snakes...
Old 01-15-2019, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe my hearing is going, but I never notice the twang. When I do, it doesn't bother me.

I did notice several years ago that from being stored muzzle up, some of the Slip2000 from the bcg and chamber migrated down and lube my buffer, buffer spring, and buffer tube interiors. So maybe that's also reducing the twang in my ARs 🧐
Old 01-15-2019, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Just dry shoot it until it freezes up. Force it apart and do minimal cleaning. Sell it.
Same with your car.