Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-11-2019, 3:02 PM

Default Need help selling a SIG P365!!

I am one of the ďSecond Tier LEOísĒ according to the DOJ and PC32000. I can buy off roster firearms, but I can only re-sell them to other LEOís and not to the non-sworn public via PTT. Usually not an issue as I don't sell many of my firearms, but I am doing a safe clean out to make room and funds for new projects. I bought a Sig P365 for my off duty weapon and have since decided to sell it. I donít want to violate any forum rules by advertising in the wrong thread, but a LEO only classified doesnít seem to fit in the market place. With that said, I am looking to sell this low round count pistol for a great price. I see they are fetching non-roster premium prices, but I am not looking to profit. I would just like to not go totally upside down. Pistol has many extras that I am not trying to recoup cost on but will let go with it. If any LEO in the San Diego or Orange County area is interested in getting into one of these for less than retail please PM me.

If I am missing a way to sell this some other way please (kindly) educate me. Intrafamilial transfer is not an option according to what I consider an astute FFL. Any non-sworn person is out of the question. Pawn or consignment can only be sold to a LEO because itís still off roster from what I understand. Again, Iím open to suggestions.
Old 01-11-2019, 3:21 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl1111 View Post
If I am missing a way to sell this some other way please (kindly) educate me. Intrafamilial transfer is not an option according to what I consider an astute FFL. Any non-sworn person is out of the question. Pawn or consignment can only be sold to a LEO because it’s still off roster from what I understand. Again, I’m open to suggestions.
Intrafamily transfer IS an option. PC32000(c) only applies to a CA FFL (aka a person licensed) doing the transfer. It does not apply to the LEO and it does not apply to the recipient.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...00&lawCode=PEN

Quote:
(c) (1) Notwithstanding Section 26825, a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not process the sale or transfer of an unsafe handgun between a person who has obtained an unsafe handgun pursuant to an exemption specified in paragraph (6) of subdivision (b) and a person who is not exempt from the requirements of this section.
If no FFL is used, there is no crime in transferring it as long as the FFL-less transfer is otherwise legal.

So giving it to wife, child/grandchild/parent/grandparent is legal.

And once you transfer it to family, if they at some point down the road decided to sell, there is no law against it nor any restrictions on a FFL who handles a transfer for them.

IANALEO, IANAL - but I can read. There is no law that prohibits a legal FFL-less (ie intrafamily in-state) transfer of an off roster gun acquired by newly exempt/2nd tier LEO.

The lawmakers put the burden of the law entirely on FFLs. It only applies to them. They could have put the burden on the LEOs, but they did not.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-11-2019 at 5:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 3:34 PM

My FFL said it could be family transfered but it would have to stay in the family and would fall under the same regulations if "she" tried to sell it later. Ill have to do more research. Thanks for your response.
Old 01-11-2019, 3:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl1111 View Post
My FFL said it could be family transfered but it would have to stay in the family and would fall under the same regulations if "she" tried to sell it later. Ill have to do more research. Thanks for your response.
Again, respectfully, that is not what the law says. It is all right there in PC32000(c). If the seller is not one of the people listed in PC32000(b)(6), the law does not apply.

A son who such a firearm was given for instance would not have obtained the firearm using the roster exemption in 32000(b)(6). He would have obtained it using the roster exemption in PC32110. So PC32000(c) would not apply to the FFL who was handling a transfer for the son who was gifted the firearm, if he was trying to sell it later in a PPT.

In any case, the law applies to FFLs only, there is no burden for any other party to a lawful transfer. So it is up to the FFL, and in my experience most of them aren’t going down the rabbit hole with provenance.

That said, I would not do an intrafamily gift and then encourage an immediate sale. Hopefully the person receiving the gift enjoys it for a while, maybe they’ll even decide it’s a keeper.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-11-2019 at 3:55 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 3:46 PM

Appreciate the info, thank you!
Old 01-11-2019, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What's a second tier leo?
Old 01-11-2019, 4:19 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobula View Post
What's a second tier leo?
As Skyhawk said,
Quote:
one of the people listed in PC32000(b)(6)
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-11-2019, 5:20 PM

Just post below retail and say only sell to LEO. Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:30 PM

Issue has been solved. LEO to LEO transfer will take place next week. Thanks for the input.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 6:27 PM

Glad it worked out. Be safe.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think the P365 currently is the best sub compact, "single stack" 9mm pistol made. Glad it worked out OP!

Last edited by 1911su16b870; 01-12-2019 at 4:19 PM.. Reason: quotes added to single stack :)