Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Default SIG P220 Legion SAO FrankenHolster

In the spirit of recycling to Save the Planet (tm), I retrofitted a P220 holster to fit a railed SIG P220 SAO. The holster is somewhat sloppy, but it works. It carries the gun perfectly and is comfortable when correctly placed on the belt. It is comfortable when standing or sitting. AIWB holsters will cause hot spots on the body when they are not fitted properly or details are missed. This is a common problem with most commercial kydex holsters I buy. Leather holsters have their problems and most do not perform well in the appendix position.

The details matter. Getting all the little problems out takes time. A good mold is built to account for them. I hope this helps you identify problems on holsters you’re contemplating buying.

Small things include:

- Small ledge at the safety on the body side for indexing during the draw. This reminds me to use the safety.

- Gap between the body of the holster and spacer is calculated for optimal pressure against the belt. Wings currently used are too aggressive and crease the belt. This turns the holster too much and the spine over the sights will print near the rear of the slide.

- Ride height is set for me and the pants I normally wear. There is plenty of room for my fingers to achieve a proper grip. Reverse cant is less than 5 degrees.

- Area around the rear sight is relieved to avoid printing.

- Wedge location is adjustable but placing it low is most comfortable.

- Kydex is quite loose around the rail and slide forward of the ejection port. The ejection port area was heated and pressed outward to remove contact beteen the metal and kydex. This reduces wear on the finish and prevents the slide from shaving plastic from the inside of the holster.

- Muzzle area is rounded off for comfort but fully protects the muzzle from sweat and cooties.

- Magazine release is covered so the belt doesn’t rub against it.

- Spacers between the strap base and kydex create a small ledge so the pants can get up there. Less wear on the pants occurs.

- Kydex at trigger guard is molded for retention.

- Kydex at the trigger guard is relieved so you feel only metal and never any discomfort from kydex due to friction against the skin.