Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-01-2018, 1:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Young people have no since of history. It's ironic that young people have smart phone devices that one can get instant quotes from Homer or access to arcane libraries and yet they use them to see what Rosie O Donnell and Kim Kardasian are doing."O tempora o mores".
Yes it's true we have no rights without responsibilities. It would be nice to move to a constitutional carry state but my wife won't go and I'd have to get divorced to swing it. Many have carried concealed without onerous paperwork and nobody knows they carry. It's a misdemeanor if charged. The remarkable thing is that if you want a CCW in San Diego you can get it now without having to grease anyones palms. I have dealt with the Licensing Division since 1994 and they are more pro CCW now than in the past 25 yrs. If you are going to be rude or pissed off please leave the staff at the Sheriffs office alone. They are just people doing a job and if you don't like the fact that Sheriff Gore wasted hundreds of thousands of NRA funds then vote against this RINO next week. Otherwise nobody cares. None of us have to live in California and as I said I'm embarrassed about my own situation.
Old 06-01-2018, 7:54 AM

Do you have to be a CA resident? I'm military and would like to apply for CCW, but thought since I was not a CA resident, I wouldn't qualify.
Old 06-01-2018, 3:51 PM

I believe that military orders stationing you in CA will qualify you as a resident of whatever county you are in for that purpose.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 06-02-2018, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about from 2015. I never looked back into getting it since 2015 when it was denied.
I'm in Texas now, so I don't need it
But you still need a "permission slip" by the Texas state government to OC or CC....

I hope you're politically active in TX re. your RKBA protected by the 2nd A. Gunnies in TX are hoping to pass Constitutional Carry next year. Make sure your friends, family, church friends, and shooting buddies all know about it and will push for it. It failed last year and didn't even come up this legislative season....
Old 06-02-2018, 3:33 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeffles View Post
Do you have to be a CA resident? I'm military and would like to apply for CCW, but thought since I was not a CA resident, I wouldn't qualify.
Yes, you must be a CA resident....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 06-05-2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes, you must be a CA resident....
Incorrect, he'll need his orders, lease, and a utility bill with his current address. There are several miltary members I know personally who have CCWs in California, myself included.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rikrong; 06-05-2018 at 9:09 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 8:06 AM

A friend of mine just had his third interview yesterday. The clerk he was working with told him they have had about 500 applications since they "broadened" the good cause. So not sure if that goes back to the fall of last year or to early this year. In either case the word is definitely out and if you apply now your first interview will be no earlier than September.

We'll see if that changes now that election results are in.
Old 06-06-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
But you still need a "permission slip" by the Texas state government to OC or CC....

I hope you're politically active in TX re. your RKBA protected by the 2nd A. Gunnies in TX are hoping to pass Constitutional Carry next year. Make sure your friends, family, church friends, and shooting buddies all know about it and will push for it. It failed last year and didn't even come up this legislative season....
Got my LTC already and I'm starting to find local ways to get active.
Old 06-07-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
A friend of mine just had his third interview yesterday. The clerk he was working with told him they have had about 500 applications since they "broadened" the good cause. So not sure if that goes back to the fall of last year or to early this year. In either case the word is definitely out and if you apply now your first interview will be no earlier than September.

Had my 1st interview today 6/7/18 and the Secretary said appointments for the 1st interview are now backed up until 9/11/18. Took me about a month for the 1st appointment 2nd one sked for 6/26/18. So looks like once you get you foot in the door things speed up a bit.
Old 06-08-2018, 3:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hopefully they will decide to create an online system to speed up the bottleneck like we have in Orange County. We are the model for every county that issues. Good luck to all who apply in San Diego County. It would be awesome if they went the way of Orange County.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-08-2018, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Hopefully they will decide to create an online system to speed up the bottleneck like we have in Orange County. We are the model for every county that issues. Good luck to all who apply in San Diego County. It would be awesome if they went the way of Orange County.
Sounds like Gore may be solving the bottleneck another way: going back to restrictive issuance!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1454234
Old 06-09-2018, 5:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Sounds like Gore may be solving the bottleneck another way: going back to restrictive issuance!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1454234
Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised at this!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-09-2018, 5:48 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:

I know where my money is.

The Hero of Ruby Ridge sure seemed to suck in a lot of people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 06-09-2018, 9:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I know where my money is.

The Hero of Ruby Ridge sure seemed to suck in a lot of people...
Maybe. But he didn't suck in SDCGOPAC: they endorsed Myers, not Gore.
Old 06-09-2018, 9:04 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I missed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 06-09-2018, 9:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Myers, I think that's the Commander working out of the closet with the water heater? Check with him before you say anything bad about the good Sheriff.

Last edited by marcusrn; 06-10-2018 at 1:24 AM..
Old 06-12-2018, 5:12 PM

Day 84 since second interview and waiting. Not encouraged by recent reports of re-tightening of GC requirements. It's truly a shame that we have to jump through these hoops to get what in many states is consistent with the Constitution and our God-given rights.
Old 06-13-2018, 8:32 AM

@Learning - Wow, I wish you the best. I’m 63 days in from the 2nd interview now and I’m starting to lose confidence myself. I’m hoping the licensing department is just really backed up but I guess we’ll know for sure in the next coming months.

Gore really needs to step it up. There’s no doubt in my mind that the efforts of SDCGO gained him voters when he “loosened” his policy for our RTKBA. 🙏🤞
Old 06-13-2018, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
@Learning - Wow, I wish you the best. I’m 63 days in from the 2nd interview now and I’m starting to lose confidence myself. I’m hoping the licensing department is just really backed up...
Don't sweat the timing. I can confirm that the department is backed up. Expect to wait the full 90 days for an answer, no matter what the answer is. The fact that you are 63 days out does not have any implications. On the other hand, I think everybody still in process does have a valid reason to worry that the standards are being re-tightened and that the loosening was just an election stunt. We will have to see about that.

Old 06-13-2018, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
On the other hand, I think everybody still in process does have a valid reason to worry that the standards are being re-tightened and that the loosening was just an election stunt. We will have to see about that.
We'll have a better idea of what's going on after the SDCGO June meeting and after the SDSO updates (or doesn't...) their CCW info page's CCW "counter" (assuming they're telling the truth w/what they put up there).

Right now, I'm just wondering what that "required meeting" with CCW instructors was all about....
Old 06-13-2018, 6:55 PM

The next update of the counter may not tell us much, depending on when it is updated and if they are counting when an application is approved or when the permit is actually issued after training, etc. The next update may reflect mostly permits decided under pre-election standards. It may take a month or two more to see the effect of any post election re-restriction.

Old 06-13-2018, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
The next update of the counter may not tell us much, depending on when it is updated and if they are counting when an application is approved or when the permit is actually issued after training, etc. The next update may reflect mostly permits decided under pre-election standards. It may take a month or two more to see the effect of any post election re-restriction.
It was updated on May 29th:
Quote:
It said "1492" as of yesterday! A 5% increase -- 70 CCWs -- in 1 month!
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If this keeps up ...
Re. what it counts:
Quote:
Current CCW Permits Issued: 1492

Last edited by Paladin; 06-14-2018 at 3:53 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 7:32 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrong View Post
Incorrect, he'll need his orders, lease, and a utility bill with his current address. There are several miltary members I know personally who have CCWs in California, myself included.

Good to know, thank!

Mind if I ask what county?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 06-16-2018, 11:31 PM

Hello all new to the forum. Wondering if anyone has any info how ccws are looking right now? I've been living in san diego now for little over a year and wish I had gotten it when I still lived in Tulare County.

I have joined sdcgo already also and am just looking for direction and advice. I'd hope I can get one since I work by myself downtown overnight and have unknown people (drunks, homeless, drug users) approaching me regularly and can pull up the many crimes that happen around my location weekly on the crime mapping site.
Old 06-17-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbetnqrt91 View Post
Hello all new to the forum. Wondering if anyone has any info how ccws are looking right now? I've been living in san diego now for little over a year and wish I had gotten it when I still lived in Tulare County.

I have joined sdcgo already also and am just looking for direction and advice. I'd hope I can get one since I work by myself downtown overnight and have unknown people (drunks, homeless, drug users) approaching me regularly and can pull up the many crimes that happen around my location weekly on the crime mapping site.
Welcome to forum.

I don't believe we have any good information regarding the Ruby Ridge hero either tightening CCW policy or not after the election.
To start the process, schedule appointment for 1st interview to get all information you need for your Good Cause. I've heard the appt now is 3 months out.
Also, check SDSO CCW website to download the application, http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

I think SDCGO has the best guidance on GC Worksheet. https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/ and since you are already a member, consult with them directly, they can guide you with tailoring your GC and they have the best source for information.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2018, 8:27 AM

Quote:
I have joined sdcgo already also and am just looking for direction and advice. .
Here is a revised version of something I wrote before, I hope it helps.

Based on my experience and conversations with SDSO and what I can glean from the recent experiences of others, here is my current information on how to get the best shot at completing your first two appointments in one session, without anything needing to be corrected or re-worked. Note that no matter how prepared you are, there is no guarantee this will work. It depends on if the clerk just happens to have the available time in his/her schedule at that moment. For everything other than the application and good cause statement, bring both the originals and clear copies to save them the time of making copies. The idea here is to do every possible part of their job for them in advance to save them time. The less time they have to spend on your application, the faster yours get processed as well as your friends behind you in line. Bring every possible thing you think they might conceivably want, just in case. You should bring:

1. Your completed TYPED application. While the form provided does not allow you to save it with information filled out, what I did was print the blank form, collected my data and filled it out by hand, then when fully ready, opened a blank form on my computer, filled it all in and printed it all in one session. Consider having somebody review it for typos or missing information prior to printing. On any space on the form where no data applies, such as “Spouse’s Physical Address”, write “none” or “N/A” to show you did not miss it.

2. Your typed good cause statement on a separate sheet. They say they prefer a single sheet but will accept two. Make sure your name and phone number appear on each page.

3. Your driver’s license, and a copy.

4. At least two current proofs of your address. They seem to be concerned that people might submit a document that was true at one point but that you might have moved recently so what they want the most recent bills of a utility bill that your receive monthly, not a bill that covers a multi month period, even if your current version was issued last week. This makes no sense to me but that’s the answer I got. Bring both the originals and full copies. I would bring three separate proofs like this in case they don’t like one. Printed copies of bills you receive electronically seem to be acceptable.

5. Any possible documentation that supports your good cause statement such as a signed letter from your employer on company letterhead, relevant licenses, police reports, receipts, etc. If a piece of paper exists that shows you are not making your good cause up out of whole cloth, bring it.

6. Any other documentation requested regarding prior tickets, arrests, etc.

7. Bring your checkbook to pay the fee. I don't know if they also accept debit, credit, or both.

You will be asked to discuss your good cause even though you are providing it in written form. Be prepared to do that. You will also be asked about other self defense methods you have tried such as pepper spray or taser. I don't know how that is relevant since there is no requirement that you have previously tried alternate means that failed, but they are going to ask.

If anybody has anything to add or any contrary recent information, please share!

Old 06-17-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Good to know, thank!

Mind if I ask what county?
I'm in Kern, but this should be applicable in any country. I know a few guys up north, too, that have received their permit.

Old 06-17-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
I'm in Kern, but this should be applicable in any country. I know a few guys up north, too, that have received their permit.

Read the Thread title: San Diego CCW

Information on the process and requirements CAN vary from County to County. So, if your not in San Diego County, don't rely on this info to be 100% applicable to you.
Old 06-17-2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Read the Thread title: San Diego CCW

Information on the process and requirements CAN vary from County to County. So, if your not in San Diego County, don't rely on this info to be 100% applicable to you.
I read the title and answered the question. The residency process appears to be the same across the state. Every person I've talked to in other countries had to provide the same info. The good cause statement is up to the discretion of the county. Sure, whoever applies in SD should check the process, but I'd be willing to say it's the same.

Old 06-17-2018, 1:21 PM

Ok thank you for the directions and write up all. I guess if appointments are around 3 months out I need to go ahead and call to make one asap to get this going.

I'm hoping that I can get approval for one, like I said it is work related, which appears to be a big one for approval from my reading?

Also just for some added advice from anyone with experience I do work security and as I said I am the only person working overnight in downtown. I have looked at our handbook on weapons/carrying and it states, "You may not possess firearms, special security devices or weapons at work without written approval of your regional or branch management and/or where permitted under applicable local/state/federal law.

So I'm understanding this as if I have a ccw then it's ok due to the and/or because then I am permitted to under local/state/federal law. Does that seem right or anyone have other thoughts/experience regarding this?
Old 06-17-2018, 2:20 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
I read the title and answered the question. The residency process appears to be the same across the state. Every person I've talked to in other countries had to provide the same info. The good cause statement is up to the discretion of the county. Sure, whoever applies in SD should check the process, but I'd be willing to say it's the same.
Ca law is silent on the Active duty issue. In general anything that is not actually written into the law (and even some things that are) when it comes to CCWs in this state is up to the discretion of the IA and not necessarily standard across the board. I like that at least some issuing IAs do this, but I would not assume that all IAs who readily issue, do.

Last edited by baggss; 06-17-2018 at 2:23 PM..
Old 06-17-2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you for the directions and write up all. I guess if appointments are around 3 months out I need to go ahead and call to make one asap to get this going.

I'm hoping that I can get approval for one, like I said it is work related, which appears to be a big one for approval from my reading?

Also just for some added advice from anyone with experience I do work security and as I said I am the only person working overnight in downtown. I have looked at our handbook on weapons/carrying and it states, "You may not possess firearms, special security devices or weapons at work without written approval of your regional or branch management and/or where permitted under applicable local/state/federal law.

So I'm understanding this as if I have a ccw then it's ok due to the and/or because then I am permitted to under local/state/federal law. Does that seem right or anyone have other thoughts/experience regarding this?
For work related good cause there is a high likelihood that SD Sheriff will follow up and verify with your employer that your are approved by them to carry. So if you do use a work related good cause statement you should give your employer a heads up to expect a call from the sheriff's department.
Old 06-18-2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
For work related good cause there is a high likelihood that SD Sheriff will follow up and verify with your employer that your are approved by them to carry. So if you do use a work related good cause statement you should give your employer a heads up to expect a call from the sheriff's department.
Not sure if this is the case: While not the sole good cause, work was my primary good cause, and the SDSO rep did not ask my employer whether I was "...approved by them to carry". Just received approval about 90 days from second interview.

Old 06-19-2018, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Ca law is silent on the Active duty issue. In general anything that is not actually written into the law (and even some things that are) when it comes to CCWs in this state is up to the discretion of the IA and not necessarily standard across the board. I like that at least some issuing IAs do this, but I would not assume that all IAs who readily issue, do.
This is true, and I agree. I hope my comments weren't misleading, I was only trying to share my experience in my county and the experience of other active duty members in other counties. Hopefully, SD is as simple as other counties, when it comes to the miltary members applying.

Old 06-19-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning View Post
Not sure if this is the case: While not the sole good cause, work was my primary good cause, and the SDSO rep did not ask my employer whether I was "...approved by them to carry". Just received approval about 90 days from second interview.

Congrats sir! Looks like it will take a full 90 days.

I thought they only call/verify the employment only.

Did SDSO actually call your employer?
Old 06-20-2018, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just received approval about 90 days from second interview.

Congrats!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for joining the forum and chiming in. Always nice to hear different experiences. Even better when they have a nice outcome. Congrats!
Old 06-20-2018, 4:58 PM

So 84 days from 2nd interview to the letter today. Now just need to take the class!
Old 06-20-2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Congrats sir! Looks like it will take a full 90 days.

I thought they only call/verify the employment only.

Did SDSO actually call your employer?
Yes, but no questions about whether my employer "approved" my request, just a confirmation of my employment, and general questions about my job duties.
Old 06-20-2018, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan View Post
So 84 days from 2nd interview to the letter today. Now just need to take the class!
Congrats!!!

"Go, Gore, Go!"

Last edited by Paladin; 06-20-2018 at 9:17 PM..