Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-09-2017, 4:18 PM

Update!

Had my interview on 12JUL. Pretty quick. I have no record or anything.

Just received my approval letter today! Now I have to just do the training and schedule an appointment for my hard card.

I dropped off my application on Feb 1st. So about 7 months from initial drop off to approval letter.
Old 10-07-2017, 8:17 AM

[QUOTE=2ManyHobbies;20422412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ManyHobbies View Post

4/12/17 - Turned in app, scanned
7/26/17 - Received a call to schedule an interview on 8/2. That was quicker than expected.
8/2/17 - Interview with Detective Jones. He said 4-5 weeks for my approval letter.
8/23/17 - approval letter received. Training scheduled.
9/3/17 - HARD CARD IN HAND!

Could have had it 2-3 weeks earlier but my schedule delayed training and final appointment. Turn around has improved in Ventura!

Last edited by 2ManyHobbies; 10-09-2017 at 6:48 AM..
Old 10-07-2017, 8:37 AM

The time seems to be getting shorter. I've been holding off but perhaps I should go forward with this.
Old 11-02-2017, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralhunter View Post
The time seems to be getting shorter. I've been holding off but perhaps I should go forward with this.
I had a student yesterday who submitted his app, had his interview 3 weeks later and received his approval letter 3 weeks after that. Now is definitely a great time to apply!!!!!!
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 11-13-2017, 4:58 PM

Default 8 and a half months for me

Just got mine on 11/9. started in March, so about 8 1/2 months in Ventura Co.
Old 12-29-2017, 7:46 AM

Default Ventura County renewal rookie mistake

Well I just learned an important lesson. I was sitting here a few days ago wondering when my CCW expires. I hadn’t recieved a renewal notice (first rookie mistake). I realized it was expiring on 1/5. Well I havent really been carrying much at all because my G21 wasnt practical to carry for me as it was too big.

Anyway I decide it’s time to print up my renewal and fill it out. I emailed them about having a new firearm purchase in the works and how that would work. They said they dont send a renewal notice and that I should have filled it out and submitted it 3-4 months ago. I thought it was as simple as bringing it in with the fees and that was it. Guess not. I’ll have a 2+ month lapse now as I wait. Lesson learned. Wish they had communicated that to me at the time I picked my CCW up...

Good news is now I have more time to find a new firearm and qualify they said. They said I can add it at that time since it will be a few months now.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Last edited by USMCmatt; 12-29-2017 at 7:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12-29-2017, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just to let you know, it's more than just re-qualifying, You are required to take another class.

Quote:
26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the licensing authority may require a community college course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without exception.
(c) For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. No course of training shall be required for any person certified by the licensing authority as a trainer for purposes of this section, in order for that person to renew a license issued pursuant to this article.
(d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
(Amended by Stats. 2011, Ch. 741, Sec. 1. (SB 610) Effective January 1, 2012.)
Some instructors offer shorter renewal classes and others just have you take their regular class over.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 12-29-2017, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BTW, 9mm Shields are VERY popular carry guns. They are inexpensive, reliable and carry very well. If you haven't shot one and want to try one, you're more than welcome to stop by and get a little trigger time with mine. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 12-29-2017, 8:35 AM

Oh wow. Well I guess I should have really read into the policy more. Got a little more expensive haha. Oh well... learning experience and I still keep my permit. For a week at least, but it gives me more time. Thanks for the info
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Old 01-04-2018, 7:00 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Exclamation Ventura County Sherriff Dean not seeking reelection.

http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/201...18/1000668001/

http://www.williamayubforsheriff.com...d-weapons.html

He was one of, if not the only CA Sheriff to change his policy after Peruta and then not change it back after the 9th ruled enbanc. His likely successor (the only candidate so far) seems likely to continue the “Self Defense = Good Cause” policy.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 01-04-2018 at 7:07 PM..
Old 01-08-2018, 5:43 PM

wait, so the OC sherriff changed it back to good cause now?
Old 01-08-2018, 7:11 PM

Okay so quick question.
Do you still need to call and make an appointment to drop off your application?
Also my most recent handgun purchase was put on a delay, will that possibly affect the outcome of a CCW?
Old 01-09-2018, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait78 View Post
Okay so quick question.
Do you still need to call and make an appointment to drop off your application?
Also my most recent handgun purchase was put on a delay, will that possibly affect the outcome of a CCW?
No appointments accepted. The new policy is on their website. There are specific days and hours that they accept applications on a first come first serve basis.

Don't worry about the delay. It's becoming typical for DOJ to randomly put delays on firearms being purchased by people who have never had an issue before.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 01-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousikos2 View Post
Timeline for those who are wondering:
12-27-16 - Initial Appointment for fingerprinting and to turn in app - Simi/Olsen Station
<snip>
Apps can be turned in at the Olsen Rd. Sheriff's office in Simi?

Or, is this old news, and apps must be delivered to the main station in Ventura?
Old 01-21-2018, 9:15 PM

Does anyone know how the new incoming Sheriff feels about CCW
Old 01-22-2018, 7:28 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John45acp View Post
Does anyone know how the new incoming Sheriff feels about CCW
Dean is not retiring until after the potential Nov Sheriffs election. Whoever is appointed to replace him until January will very likely be the Sheriff Elect (who's term starts in Jan 2019). I use the word "potential" because if any candidate gets more than 50% of the vote, or if there is only one candidate in June, there will be no further election for Sheriff in Nov.

The only declared candidate I know of so far is Assistant Sheriff Bill Ayub. He has publicly stated he will continue the current CCW policy of VCSD. He's been endorsed by multiple entities so far.

https://www.williamayubforsheriff.co...d-weapons.html

Other potential candidates include the Ventura City CoP and the Oxnard CoP. The deadline for filing to run in March 15 IIRC...
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Last edited by baggss; 01-22-2018 at 7:33 AM..
Old 01-29-2018, 9:45 AM

Hey guys, Im new to the site. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for CCW in Ventura County.

I put in my application on December 16th, 2017.

Just finished my interview today, January 29th 2018.
(lasted about 15 min) Yes Sir, No Sir to all questions. It was a breeze.

Now I wait for my letter in the mail to show up.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Does anyone know exactly what is looked at when an app is submitted. I have reviewed the info on the vcso site but it is very general. I would prefer to clear any potential issues on my end prior to submitting. I have a ticket from 3 years ago and a couple blemishes on my credit report.

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find the info. Thank you
Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805local View Post

Nice! Sounds like the speed on their end has greatly improved.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

You must be a resident when applying, which means that Ventura County is your primary residence. The issue that no one has touched upon is WHEN ARE YOU APPLYING.

It used to be that you did not sign your application until the time of your initial interview, which can be months after you begin the application process. That suggests that you need not be a resident when you begin the process, but only when you turn in your application. However, Ventura County might consider things differently and require to be a resident when you first start the process. You might want to address this to VCSO. If your interview happens as quickly as did that of Back4more70's did, you best not do anything until you have actually moved into the county.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
Nice! Sounds like the speed on their end has greatly improved.
They said they hired a bunch of old retired officers/vets to handle the load. Seems to be very beneficial! Now the real waiting game starts.
Old 01-30-2018, 4:48 AM

Default Ventura County checklist

Hello - Does anyone know exactly what is looked at or the "checklist" they work off of when an app is submitted. I have reviewed the info on the vcso site but it is very general. I would prefer to clear any potential issues on my end prior to submitting. Nothing major other than a ticket from 3 years ago and a couple blemishes on my credit report.

Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find the info. Thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 1:45 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey guys, Im new to the site. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for CCW in Ventura County.

(lasted about 15 min) Yes Sir, No Sir to all questions. It was a breeze.

Now I wait for my letter in the mail to show up.
Quote:
They said they hired a bunch of old retired officers/vets to handle the load. Seems to be very beneficial!
This is amazingly awesome news!

Old 01-30-2018, 1:48 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Depending on the ticket (assuming it was just speeding and not something worse), you credit report (unless you have declared bankruptcy in the last 7 years) shouldn't really matter too much.

Unless either of the two are bad, I wouldn't sweat it. That being said, if/when you apply, disclose everything you can think of. Everything.

Old 01-30-2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Depending on the ticket (assuming it was just speeding and not something worse), you credit report (unless you have declared bankruptcy in the last 7 years) shouldn't really matter too much.

Unless either of the two are bad, I wouldn't sweat it. That being said, if/when you apply, disclose everything you can think of. Everything.
Nothing major...didn't see the no left turn coming out of a parking lot and no bk. Is there an official checklist out there or anything showing what is looked at? I keep seeing postings of people being denied for moral reasons and trying to figure out what they would look at to deny for moral reasons. Criminal history, tickets, credit report, taxes etc.?

I see non-rostered guns are ok. Will they accept guns that have been modified with trigger kits, sights, grips etc.?

Thanks in advance I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2018, 2:20 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

No checklist that I know of, they keep that pretty close to the chest. The biggest "moral" hits seem to be things like excessive negative police interaction (lots of tickets etc.) and DUIs from what I can tell. Have heard of a few folks who tried to hide things and got caught.

A criminal history would likely sink you right off the bat, and not on Moral grounds either.

I have no idea about weapons modifications and if they are acceptable. I always assume that if I ever have to use my EDC I'll never see it again, so putting too much into it isn't worth it.

Old 01-30-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
No checklist that I know of, they keep that pretty close to the chest. The biggest "moral" hits seem to be things like excessive negative police interaction (lots of tickets etc.) and DUIs from what I can tell. Have heard of a few folks who tried to hide things and got caught.

A criminal history would likely sink you right off the bat, and not on Moral grounds either.

I have no idea about weapons modifications and if they are acceptable. I always assume that if I ever have to use my EDC I'll never see it again, so putting too much into it isn't worth it.
None of the above thank goodness. I have two carry size guns that I ppt'd last week and will be picking up end of the week. One is on-roster and the other off. Neither have been modified so I will leave them stock until I have the answer. As soon as they are in hand I will start the application process.

Thank you very much for the info!
Old 01-30-2018, 3:13 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.

Old 01-30-2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
This is amazingly awesome news!
They seem to have sped up the process a lot. It will be better news if I get approved!
Old 01-30-2018, 6:28 PM

[QUOTE=baggss;21221223]IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.[/QUOTE

I will to have to confirm one way or the other so I ensure I put the correct ones on the app.
Old 01-30-2018, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
BTW, 9mm Shields are VERY popular carry guns. They are inexpensive, reliable and carry very well. If you haven't shot one and want to try one, you're more than welcome to stop by and get a little trigger time with mine. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Seconded on the Shield.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 01-30-2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
IIRC, VCSD doesn't allow off roster weapons on CCWs, but I could be mistaken.

This policy was revoked. Any legally-owned handgun can be listed on your permit. However, guns can only be added at renewal, so plan ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
This policy was revoked. Any legally-owned handgun can be listed on your permit. However, guns can only be added at renewal, so plan ahead.

Great and thank you for the confirmation. You wouldn't happen to know about mods to submitted guns?
Old 01-31-2018, 6:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

VCSO did change (not revoke) it's policy and now allows off roster firearms.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 01-31-2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
VCSO did change (not revoke) it's policy and now allows off roster firearms.
Thank you for the clarification
Old 01-31-2018, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post

BTW, They will not allow just "any legally owned handgun" to be put on a permit. They require that the handgun either be registered to you or your spouse. There are many "legally owned handguns in CA that are NOT REGISTERED. Also, they won't allow certain legally owned and registered handguns like AR pistols or other handguns chambered in what they consider to be rifle cartridges. I highly doubt they will allow a legally owned and registered 12G AOW handgun either. Also, handguns like TC contenders would be very hard to qualify with. I know that I would not be able to qualify with my .45acp Liberator repro and highly doubt anyone else could either.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 01-31-2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
BTW, They will not allow just "any legally owned handgun" to be put on a permit. They require that the handgun either be registered to you or your spouse. There are many "legally owned handguns in CA that are NOT REGISTERED. Also, they won't allow certain legally owned and registered handguns like AR pistols or other handguns chambered in what they consider to be rifle cartridges. I highly doubt they will allow a legally owned and registered 12G AOW handgun either. Also, handguns like TC contenders would be very hard to qualify with. I know that I would not be able to qualify with my .45acp Liberator repro and highly doubt anyone else could either.
Completely understand and yes the Liberator would be more than a challenge for sure. Nothing crazy with gun models and all are registered. I have my VP40 waiting for a trigger job. Do you know if there is an issue with modded guns being on the app?
Old 01-31-2018, 1:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts88 View Post
Completely understand and yes the Liberator would be more than a challenge for sure. Nothing crazy with gun models and all are registered. I have my VP40 waiting for a trigger job. Do you know if there is an issue with modded guns being on the app?
As far as I know, VCSO allows modified firearms. In fact, many of my students that list Shields on their application tell me that their interviewer advises them to install an Apex trigger on them. I know more than a few people who have Zev or TT parts on their carry Glocks too.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 01-31-2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, VCSO allows modified firearms. In fact, many of my students that list Shields on their application tell me that their interviewer advises them to install an Apex trigger on them. I know more than a few people who have Zev or TT parts on their carry Glocks too.
Well that's good news. Appreciate all of the info. This is a great site!
Old 01-31-2018, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts88 View Post
Well that's good news. Appreciate all of the info. This is a great site!
I think so. Sure, there's a lot of misinformation and crap here but, it quickly gets straightened out. I originally thought this site was mainly a bunch of young kids but, once I started meeting other members, I changed my opinion fast. While there are yahoos here, they tend to hide behind their keyboards and get weeded out quickly.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV