Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-16-2020, 10:51 PM

If any of you are denied it is always prudent to appeal. If you are denied it is an abrogation of your rights. Don't ever just role over. Go in there and charm them or cuss them out. I was denied 3-4 times out of 7 in SD county and appealed and was granted CCW 2 X after appeal. It's OK to call a cop or clerk an A hole if it helps you. And it might. The more you prolong the process, things change, you're still in the game. I played the appeal game for almost 11 months at the end of which I received LTC in 2005. The picture below is Sheriff Kolander awarding me the flat badge of Honorary Sheriff's Deputy in 2005. There should be a thousand applications in LA right now. Because you're white, because you're black, because you're Mexican, because you're a woman, and because you're old and asian. Demand it, why are things different in Orange, SD, and the other 50 counties that follow BORs?Don't ever walk away without appealing. When appealing it's common that you see someone higher on the food chain, often a sworn LEO.

Last edited by marcusrn; 09-16-2020 at 10:58 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewie27 View Post
in CA and LA County specifically, you're allowed to list up to 3 guns.
I've always wondered about this. Do you have to identify all three up front? Or can you add or change the three at any time provided you submit something to someone?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by König View Post
I've always wondered about this. Do you have to identify all three up front? Or can you add or change the three at any time provided you submit something to someone?
There's a change request form. It's no big deal to add or change later.
"And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down, so it was straight, then watch the hair come back up again. They’d look at it. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap... And I’ve loved kids jumping on my lap.”
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”
"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community."
- Joe Biden
Old 09-23-2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
There's a change request form. It's no big deal to add or change later.
Good to know - thanks! I was just curious because in one of the other threads an individual was saying that in the CCW application interview, the officer asked them a lot of questions around the particular pistol they listed being viable to carry concealed. It made it sound like they like you to have your ducks in a row (so-to-speak) on the firearms front... I just wasn't sure how far it went.

Last edited by König; 09-23-2020 at 7:58 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 09-26-2020, 4:22 PM

So I got an interview two weeks ago and just received my denial letter. I did not have any specific threats, but had articulated situations where law enforcement would not be of help. Also, I am former leo many years ago. It is my opinion that not much has changed in regards to CCW policy.
Old 09-26-2020, 4:23 PM

I will be appealing by the way. I will keep bugging them. It's only 10 bucks after all.☺️
Old 09-26-2020, 4:59 PM

Can I ask if that was with LASD or LAPD? Apparently LAPD will absolutely deny and then, as AV had stated, you should appeal to LASD. I’m not sure of your GC either but that’s disheartening nonetheless. Especially now as these rioters are pulling people out of cars.

(Yes I know the current situation has no standing with the ccw process).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 5:18 PM

It was with LASD.
Old 09-26-2020, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Achiever View Post
So I got an interview two weeks ago and just received my denial letter. I did not have any specific threats, but had articulated situations where law enforcement would not be of help. Also, I am former leo many years ago. It is my opinion that not much has changed in regards to CCW policy.
You did not have any specific threats, so you didn’t have Dark Red GC. You did mention a GC re unavailability of LE but did not say if that situation is due to a business you own or your profession (Light Red), your employment (Yellow), recreation (Light Green). Which color was your strongest GC?

Those broad categories are broken down in my post, #31, in my Contra Costa CCW advice thread pinned at the top of this forum. Did you read my posts in that thread before applying? What number/s of GC did you use?

As former LEO you may qualify to carry under LEOSA. Have you looked into that?

Were you a LEO with LASD?
Old 09-26-2020, 6:34 PM

Unfortunately, I do not qualify under LEOSA. I did not have enough years. My good cause has to do mainly with volunteer search and rescue activities in remote areas. If you want, I can PM my good cause statement.
Old 09-26-2020, 9:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The news expected by Oct 01 will be delayed by, my guess, a week due to a hiccup in the process.

Best to have purchased and registered all handguns (3 maximum) you want on permit. It just makes process smoother. But it’s not mandatory.

A CGNer said their interview took 20-25 minutes. Told 1-2 weeks from interview to GC denial or being told to proceed with LiveScan.

A different CGNer was told to proceed to LiveScan after using Light Red, Yellow and Light Green GCs.

I hope to post each weekend updates using info from prior week.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-29-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Old 09-26-2020, 9:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I see I may have jumped the gun in assuming you were denied for insufficient GC. Why did LASD say you were denied?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:42 PM

They quoted their good cause statement that they have had on their website forever. They refered to a specific person or threat.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:43 PM

At least for the time being, it appears to me that nothing has changed and the sheriff is blowing smoke.
Old 09-27-2020, 4:24 PM

If a hippie applied for a THC smoke permit and was denied, what would the hippie do? If an Antifa yute were to apply for a protest permit and denied by police, what would the Antifer do? If a Mexican campesino wanted to immigrate to El Norte and was denied citizenship, what would they do?
Old 09-28-2020, 3:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
At least for the time being, it appears to me that nothing has changed and the sheriff is blowing smoke.
Instead of wasting your time and money applying to an agency that will deny you why don't you move to a neighboring county so you can get your CCW? You are truly wasting your time. LASD will not issue despite the well intentions and comments of several people on this thread!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 09-28-2020, 6:33 PM

It's not so simple to just up and move when you own your house and have friends and family who live in the area. The CCW is a priority, but there are other priorities that rank higher. We are planning to move. However, it will more likely be out of state. The election results will really be the deciding factor as to whether there is hope or it is too far gone.
Old 09-29-2020, 3:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's not so simple to just up and move when you own your house and have friends and family who live in the area. The CCW is a priority, but there are other priorities that rank higher. We are planning to move. However, it will more likely be out of state. The election results will really be the deciding factor as to whether there is hope or it is too far gone.
I lived on L.A. County for most of my life. I also owned a home and had a job, friends and family there, however, I wanted a CCW and I could not leave California so I sold my home and moved to Orange County and now I have a CCW. I call BS on it not being feasible to move. Either move to a location where you can get a CCW or forever let it go. Talking about it will make no difference. You will not get a CCW in L.A. County. PERIOD!
Old 09-29-2020, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I lived on L.A. County for most of my life. I also owned a home and had a job, friends and family there, however, I wanted a CCW and I could not leave California so I sold my home and moved to Orange County and now I have a CCW. I call BS on it not being feasible to move. Either move to a location where you can get a CCW or forever let it go. Talking about it will make no difference. You will not get a CCW in L.A. County. PERIOD!
Despite what you may think you know, not everyone can move to OC or other friendly CCW jurisdictions. Instead of discouraging people to at least try to chip away at the CCW system in LA County, you could encourage them to at least put up a fight. (Even if the odds seem totally against them)

Wouldn't you rather eventually be proven wrong and see people who took the time and a few bucks top fight have a victory in LA County? Or is it more important to be the guy who constantly tells everyone something is impossible?
Old 09-29-2020, 1:16 PM

Is there a Big Karen in this thread?
Old 09-29-2020, 2:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I understand why you feel that way. Possibly kids in school, church etc.

But we decided to move and went to kern County. CCWs for every non felon/pscho here.

BTW. If the Antelope Valley (Lancaster/Palmdale) is not too far. Kern County ends in the Antelope Valley at Ave. A. Train or car commute to L.A. with a CCW.
Old 09-29-2020, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
I understand why you feel that way. Possibly kids in school, church etc.

But we decided to move and went to kern County. CCWs for every non felon/pscho here.

BTW. If the Antelope Valley (Lancaster/Palmdale) is not too far. Kern County ends in the Antelope Valley at Ave. A. Train or car commute to L.A. with a CCW.
Think Rosamond!
Old 09-29-2020, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGuy View Post
Despite what you may think you know, not everyone can move to OC or other friendly CCW jurisdictions. Instead of discouraging people to at least try to chip away at the CCW system in LA County, you could encourage them to at least put up a fight. (Even if the odds seem totally against them)

Wouldn't you rather eventually be proven wrong and see people who took the time and a few bucks top fight have a victory in LA County? Or is it more important to be the guy who constantly tells everyone something is impossible?
Like I have stated before...

I live in the real world not on Fantasy Island. I told Paladin that I will eat that crow when it happens. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong on this but reality is an intrusive SOB so if you live in L.A County and want a CCW you have three choices.

1. Move to ANY bordering county and as long as you meet the minimum
criteria you will get a CCW.
2. Move to a shall issue state.
3. Continue to waste your time posting messages on a gun forum and twenty
years from now you will still be wishing for something that simply will not
happen. Post on!
Old 09-29-2020, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Friends,
  • Don't give up
  • Don't apply if you don't have a very good GC statement. "I transport valuable items" or "I go to remote locations for work" will do fine in most counties in California but not in LA
  • Understand that there seems to be some inconsistencies in how these apps are handled and that there may be some changes going on there
  • If you have great good cause you could still be rejected
  • Or you might get it

As for the "just move" crowd, many / most people have many other issues in life, like real estate, jobs, family, friends and 100 other things, that keep them from moving. If you're single and work from home and you care about CCW more than where you live, then go ahead and move. For the rest of us, it's not that easy.

And remember point #1, don't give up. If you have strong good cause, apply, and if rejected, appeal, and apply again 12+ months later if there's any indication things may have changed.

It's great to be realistic, it's not great to be negative.

A whole bunch of apps are in process now and we will get more data points with every app that's submitted.
"And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down, so it was straight, then watch the hair come back up again. They’d look at it. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap... And I’ve loved kids jumping on my lap.”
"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”
"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community."
- Joe Biden