Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-16-2020, 7:05 PM

See the way I see it, nothing wrong with RDS.

But as a beginner, learning on iron sights isn’t bad. If you master them, then you can pick up any gun (depending on hold position) and shoot with accuracy.

Why learn only on RDS... you’d be handicapping yourself to only one platform.

All modern handguns have irons but not all come with red dots.

YMMV

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 09-16-2020, 7:09 PM

Naz - I bought the 507C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
Naz - I bought the 507C

Nice. Look forward to seeing the completed project.

I imagine getting the slide milled for the 507C would be the best option as you can send in both the slide and the RDS for fitting. It would be better than say another slide IMO, the gen5 compatible slides seem to be less common at this point than the gen3 slides.

Although... this gen5 compatible Zev is on sale at MidwayUSA... https://www.midwayusa.com/ltd/product?pid=332711

Dan

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:41 PM

I would say train with the iron sights. When you are solid with iron sights, get a milled slide (I have Suarez slide) and shoot red dot. You can have both slides and go back and forth.

Red dots do you no favors. If you suck with irons, you will suck with red dot. you don't want to be the guy with the fancy glock and red dot who sucks. With crappy trigger work and technique it won't matter what you use.

Shooting well is an art form as evidenced by the mediocre shooting so common at the range. If you are serious and put the time in and train, you will advance rapidly and shoot both irons and red dots like a beast. You will be the guy who doesn't give a **** about all the people arguing between dots and irons bc you shoot both well and love both.

Glock 19 is gonna be sweet with the red dot!

Last edited by Peahi2; 09-16-2020 at 8:46 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 PM

Other than a light, my Gen 5 MOS 19 is still stock, they got a lot right with it this time.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:11 AM

Train until you have pushed your limits with what you have. Perhaps different sights on a glock would be ok, but before accessorizing, get good with the gun itself. Know it inside and out. That way, if you should ever need to use it just as it is, you won’t be thrown off. Right now if you look hard you can find 9mm for around 27cents, I’d put your efforts towards finding that ammo. Unless you have 5,000+ rounds and a good source already.
Old 09-17-2020, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Train until you have pushed your limits with what you have. Perhaps different sights on a glock would be ok, but before accessorizing, get good with the gun itself. Know it inside and out. That way, if you should ever need to use it just as it is, you won’t be thrown off. Right now if you look hard you can find 9mm for around 27cents, I’d put your efforts towards finding that ammo. Unless you have 5,000+ rounds and a good source already.
OP is determined to spend his money customizing his Glock. Let him have his way...its his money.

In my opinion, as stated by others, he should be asking about the best training training opportunities and sourcing ammo but a lot of gun owners like bright shinny things...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 09-17-2020 at 6:22 AM..
Old 09-17-2020, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
Naz - I bought the 507C

I had brownell rmr cut slide for 34 and Holosun 507c but sold them before I fired any rounds through them to fund other projects.

I thought the fit was nice, and I read other reviews saying it was a tight fit similar to their custom milled OEM slides. Brownell was the cheapest (reputable) route I identified for having a separate rmr cut slide

Also, I think people are too busy reflexively typing on the “training + ammo” posts to read that you already have several thousands round of ammo stocked up and have already decided on some training classes. Lol.
Old 09-17-2020, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
OP is determined to spend his money customizing his Glock. Let him have his way...its his money.

In my opinion, as stated by others, he should be asking about the best training training opportunities and sourcing ammo but a lot of gun owners like bright shinny things...
Where did you get the idea that OP isn’t interested in training and ammunition? That’s an odd thing for you to decide for him.
Old 09-17-2020, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Where did you get the idea that OP isn’t interested in training and ammunition? That’s an odd thing for you to decide for him.
You didn't correctly comprehend my statement did you? I didn't say he wasn't interested in training, he has stated that he is... I was observing that his focus, given his admission he has poor skills, is on the bright shiny thing not where to get good training and the ammo to participate in it.

I wasn't deciding anything for him. I did offer my recommendation on where his proprieties might be better placed which as a new gun owner, might be to get training and hands on experience before shopping modifications.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 09-17-2020 at 9:04 AM..
Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
You didn't correctly comprehend my statement did you? I didn't say he wasn't interested in training, he has stated that he is... I was observing that his focus, given his admission he has poor skills, is on the bright shiny thing not where to get good training and the ammo to participate in it.

I wasn't deciding anything for him. I did offer my recommendation on where his proprieties might be better placed which as a new gun owner, might be to get training and hands on experience before shopping modifications.
You didn't correctly comprehend my question, did you?

Your statement did imply, to those of us fluent in English, that he is eschewing "training opportunities and sourcing ammo" in favor of "bright shinny things". Don't be intentionally obtuse here. You know what you were implying.