Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 86 8.51%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 676 66.93%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 23 2.28%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.46%
They will go out of business this year! 25 2.48%
Don't want anything to do with them! 155 15.35%
Voters: 1010. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2021, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Was the curriculum different from a regular shotgun, rifle or handgun course?
More fun and games?
Standard class but they have activities and raffles a round the class.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 01-15-2021, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezcalfud View Post
HGSB was in the afternoon on the second day
Thanks. Hope to reschedule the stuff in UT, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
Standard class but they have activities and raffles a round the class.
Shooting activities like man-on-man, multiple adversaries, etc.? In other words, more shooting than the standard?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-16-2021, 6:40 PM

I'm interested in the Glock Armorer's course at FS. Does successful completion include the Glock basic armorer 3 year certification?
Old 01-16-2021, 7:11 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
I'm interested in the Glock Armorer's course at FS. Does successful completion include the Glock basic armorer 3 year certification?
No

FS class is FS; the Glock Armorer class is Glock.

_
Old 01-17-2021, 12:07 AM

I did the XD armorers course and it was interesting and I learned a lot but in no way are you a certified armorer, there so much more to know. I’d say we covered the basics of the fire control of the gun. We did not get into sights, we did not go into the drip safety operation (doesn’t exist on Glock).
Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2021, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Well guys, looks like wife and I had enough of California, we will be moving to the Villages in Florida. Will spend the next year pearing down all the stuff we own for the move, and wait for the COVID to end, and real estate to raise. Will miss the ability to drive to FS in a day. Looks like starting 2022 FS trips will need to be more planned and coordinated. We got lazy with ease we had with booking and planning our previous trips. Maybe, maybe? The timeshares will be built?

Knight of Front Sight
Old 01-17-2021, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Well guys, looks like wife and I had enough of California, we will be moving to the Villages in Florida. Will spend the next year pearing down all the stuff we own for the move, and wait for the COVID to end, and real estate to raise. Will miss the ability to drive to FS in a day. Looks like starting 2022 FS trips will need to be more planned and coordinated. We got lazy with ease we had with booking and planning our previous trips. Maybe, maybe? The timeshares will be built?
Congrats on your escape! We never have that convenience, but we’re used to it. The biggest deal is getting your ammo there if you’re flying in and out of Vegas. Eleven pounds is not that much when it comes to basic classes more than 2 days long. Nowhere enough for advanced classes. Until this ammo clusterf is over, having a vendor ship enough ammo to your hotel is not always a reliable solution.

Next is the hassle of flying with your firearms in and out of LV. You’ll learn the local airport customs sooner or later. Hopefully in FL, it isn’t too ornery. In LAS, the one issue I’ve run into is their demand that every available hole for a lock in your weapons case be occupied by a lock.

Another issue after class is to make sure every pocket in your clothes and luggage that you take into the plane’s cabin is free of ammo and magazines. Easy to leave some in after a FS class.

We’ve found that getting a rental car in Vegas is very easy.

We probably will go the opposite direction from you. We are looking at building a home within a couple of hours away from FS. Imagine carrying several guns and ammo cans to FS 😂

Old 01-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Welcome to Florida - we are about 2 hours south of the Villages. We have had in the past a large group go to FS. I try and make it twice a year. The flying is OK but would prefer the drive - just to long. Ammo, we have always ordered from LAX - Lots of it because some times there are 24 of us from all over. Been slowing down some as the group gets up there in years. The flights with Southwest are a piece of cake and if you book 6 months in advance can be pretty cheap. Coming back out of LAS has never been a problem either - just a little different check procedure - no big thing.

Last edited by Jerry1834; 01-18-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-20-2021, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Congrats on your escape! We never have that convenience, but we’re used to it. The biggest deal is getting your ammo there if you’re flying in and out of Vegas. Eleven pounds is not that much when it comes to basic classes more than 2 days long. Nowhere enough for advanced classes. Until this ammo clusterf is over, having a vendor ship enough ammo to your hotel is not always a reliable solution.

Next is the hassle of flying with your firearms in and out of LV. You’ll learn the local airport customs sooner or later. Hopefully in FL, it isn’t too ornery. In LAS, the one issue I’ve run into is their demand that every available hole for a lock in your weapons case be occupied by a lock.

Another issue after class is to make sure every pocket in your clothes and luggage that you take into the plane’s cabin is free of ammo and magazines. Easy to leave some in after a FS class.

We’ve found that getting a rental car in Vegas is very easy.

We probably will go the opposite direction from you. We are looking at building a home within a couple of hours away from FS. Imagine carrying several guns and ammo cans to FS 😂

Your correct about the brass, no matter what I do, I always find some in the washer.

Knight of Front Sight
Old 01-20-2021, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Welcome to Florida - we are about 2 hours south of the Villages. We have had in the past a large group go to FS. I try and make it twice a year. The flying is OK but would prefer the drive - just to long. Ammo, we have always ordered from LAX - Lots of it because some times there are 24 of us from all over. Been slowing down some as the group gets up there in years. The flights with Southwest are a piece of cake and if you book 6 months in advance can be pretty cheap. Coming back out of LAS has never been a problem either - just a little different check procedure - no big thing.
Thanks!

Knight of Front Sight
Old 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM

What would those with experience recommend as a first AR rifle that would get the job done at Front Sight classes for someone new to the AR platform?

I've been to Front Sight several times, but only for handgun classes.

Don't want to spend a ton and just looking for something somewhat simple and straight forward that isn't going to break the bank, yet isn't junk, and dont mind spending more if it's warranted. Would a S7W M&P Sport II be worth it as an entry-level AR?
Old 01-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
What would those with experience recommend as a first AR rifle that would get the job done at Front Sight classes for someone new to the AR platform?

I've been to Front Sight several times, but only for handgun classes.

Don't want to spend a ton and just looking for something somewhat simple and straight forward that isn't going to break the bank, yet isn't junk, and dont mind spending more if it's warranted. Would a S7W M&P Sport II be worth it as an entry-level AR?
Any entry level tier of ar with no outstanding unreliability issues should be good enough in my book. I've taken home builds (thoroughly vetted at my home range) to FS and had no problems.

Other considerations:
-Enough magazines to hold 60 rounds. I think that was the most rounds we fired during a particular string. Usually it's like 40-50 round strings though
-a convenient way to carry said magazines, both loaded and unloaded. Mag pouches and a dump pouch on a harle belt set-up was my go to
- knee + elbow pads for kneeling and prone shooting. Or you could be macho man and not use them
- ear pro that doesn't interfere with your cheek weld. When mounting the rifle, your cheek goes to the comb; sometimes my over the ear, ear muff style ear pro will get in the way of the cheek weld, throwing my shot off; or the ear pro seal is broken when the shot goes off and you get the full noise in an unprotected ear. So wear a foam plug under your ear muff, or get some electronic in ear ear pro, or figure out what works for you

Have fun!
Old 01-20-2021, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Any entry level tier of ar with no outstanding unreliability issues should be good enough in my book. I've taken home builds (thoroughly vetted at my home range) to FS and had no problems.

Other considerations:
-Enough magazines to hold 60 rounds. I think that was the most rounds we fired during a particular string. Usually it's like 40-50 round strings though
-a convenient way to carry said magazines, both loaded and unloaded. Mag pouches and a dump pouch on a harle belt set-up was my go to
- knee + elbow pads for kneeling and prone shooting. Or you could be macho man and not use them
- ear pro that doesn't interfere with your cheek weld. When mounting the rifle, your cheek goes to the comb; sometimes my over the ear, ear muff style ear pro will get in the way of the cheek weld, throwing my shot off; or the ear pro seal is broken when the shot goes off and you get the full noise in an unprotected ear. So wear a foam plug under your ear muff, or get some electronic in ear ear pro, or figure out what works for you

Have fun!
Have all that stuff already aside from the actual rifle and mags because I also plan to take a tactical shotgun class this year as well. Dump pouch, knee pads, etc. Also went to in-ear protection a couple classes ago and it's a game changer.. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 01-20-2021 at 11:53 AM..
Old 01-20-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Have all that stuff already aside from the actual rifle and mags. Thanks for the tips!
Cool. Yeah sorry for the non- answer but honestly you're there to learn carbine manipulation, not fight your gear (rifle or peripherals). Any weapon will, do if you will!

If you have the ammo, wouldn't hurt to run a few dozen through your gun to work out kinks before game day
Old 01-20-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Cool. Yeah sorry for the non- answer but honestly you're there to learn carbine manipulation, not fight your gear (rifle or peripherals). Any weapon will, do if you will!

If you have the ammo, wouldn't hurt to run a few dozen through your gun to work out kinks before game day
I didn't see it as a non-answer. I genuinely appreciated the tips.
Old 01-20-2021, 5:58 PM

S&W M&P15 is a solid rifle.

Old 01-20-2021, 7:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Have all that stuff already aside from the actual rifle and mags because I also plan to take a tactical shotgun class this year as well. Dump pouch, knee pads, etc. Also went to in-ear protection a couple classes ago and it's a game changer.. Thanks for the tips!
Always bring a back up. The ear protection you have may be good enough for a handgun class but in case you find it insufficient for a rifle class, have your earmuffs handy. (Of course that guy with the compensated .308 has to pick the lane to your right LOL)

Do you have good eyes, Vinnie? My old eyes find a 3-4x scope fits this class very well. Of course young uns in this thread will scoff at this suggestion, but if you wear glasses, you need glass!

Bring a back up AR charging handle. With all the malfunction manipulations, some students have been known to bend theirs. The one at the armorer’s shop is pretty expensive for what you get.

Old 01-20-2021, 8:22 PM

M&P Sport 2 should hold up just fine. Eventually it would probably help to add a 1-4X or 1-6X optic for those longer distance shots.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:52 PM

ar15 armorer's wrench is a handy thing to bring along too, though if your ar has its castle nut staked down that shouldn't be a problem. I've taken carbine classes there at least three times, and only once did I have a castle nut come a little loose (and even then, the carbine still functions)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Always bring a back up. The ear protection you have may be good enough for a handgun class but in case you find it insufficient for a rifle class, have your earmuffs handy. (Of course that guy with the compensated .308 has to pick the lane to your right LOL)
^This. 4D Rifle Marksmanship. Guy next to me shooting a 6.5CM with the loudest brake I've ever heard. I've got a 6.5CM myself but it's nothing compared to his. Literally was blowing my hat halfway off my head with all the gas. I asked what brake he was running but he didn't know. I would have tripled up if I could have figured out a way LOL.
Old 01-21-2021, 7:22 AM

Quote:

Do you have good eyes, Vinnie? My old eyes find a 3-4x scope fits this class very well. Of course young uns in this thread will scoff at this suggestion, but if you wear glasses, you need glass!

Bring a back up AR charging handle. With all the malfunction manipulations, some students have been known to bend theirs. The one at the armorer’s shop is pretty expensive for what you get.

I do wear glasses. Started wearing progressive lenses a year and a half ago. Also have to wear safety glasses at work, so I have a nice pair of safety glasses that have side shields that are ANSI/OSHA approved.

I always bring my over the ear protection as a backup.

Appreciate all the advice!
Old 01-21-2021, 8:19 AM

Broken charging handle is only issue I've seen at four day classes, seen it more than once. I actually had rifle go down and pro shop had exactly one left in stock. $30 was pricey for mil spec but had no choice.

I have brought back up pistol on my first trip out and back up rifle once. Extra rifle when daughter took practical class with me, did not need but felt better about it. You can also rent from FS if needed.

Older eyes will benefit from magnified optics. Put either three power behind your red dot or lpvo 1-4/6. Hitting at 25 was not a problem without magnification but move back to 100 and center hits on steel becomes a challenge. I learned need for magnified optics for shooting past 50 yards.

Two or three p-mags work fine for class. I would have preferred getting mags with metal feed lips as I kept pushing p-mags in too deep and missing catch, especially when downloading one round. Flex of mag body got me a couple of times. You can rivet mags or block as needed to bring home.

PM me for your Front Sight needs

Last edited by Divehobo; 01-23-2021 at 8:04 AM..
Old 01-22-2021, 12:55 PM

Well, I was at my LGS to pick up a new handgun and they had a new S&W M&P Sport II in stock for a great price (hundreds less than what people are selling them for here in the classifieds and on Gunbroker, so I bought it.
Old 01-23-2021, 6:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well, I was at my LGS to pick up a new handgun and they had a new S&W M&P Sport II in stock for a great price (hundreds less than what people are selling them for here in the classifieds and on Gunbroker, so I bought it.
Congrats, Vinnie. It’ll serve you well. When is the class?

To give you an idea, the FS armorer recommends Geiselle G2S as the lightest trigger they’d allow for class. They have none in stock. They’d install it for $35 if you bring yours in.

Old 01-24-2021, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, the weather is going to suck for the next class:

Snowing on Monday night

Not an issue if I have my own car, but we'll be in a rental car with regular, maybe all season, tires and no ice scraper on hand.

Not looking forward to going prone in the mud. Again.

Tuesday morning will be a nice photo op, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FS Weather 1_24 to 2_2.jpg (15.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 01-24-2021, 1:04 PM

Beanz, hopefully you're staying in Pharump. When it snows, they can close the road going over the pass to L.V.

Old 01-24-2021, 2:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, fortunately we are. Our daughter lives in Henderson, but for $80 a night we’d rather avoid the mountain drive when we’re tired after class. Winter Storm Warning has been issued here. Vegas and Henderson might get snow Monday night too.

Old 01-26-2021, 6:47 PM

First chance I've had to come up for air in a while. I've been on property either as a student or staff for 18 of the last 19 days. While living on the mesa. Loving every minute of it.
Yeah, yesterday was pretty icky. It was snowing during the skills test, but no one left until afterwards. Had a fair number of DGs and Gs too. Once folks got word that the pass to Vegas was closing there was a rush to get out. Finished the class with five people and an hour early.

It hasn't been happening as much lately, but please remind people in any classes you're taking that tips for the range staff are always appreciated. Cash, some leftover ammo, anything at all helps us out. It just takes one person to set an example. These instructors put in a lot of effort for not much pay and we're limited to one box per week for all of our shooting. Just putting the request out there to do what you can.
"....And that was fear. It is your constant enemy, and at once your most faithful companion. It is against it that you will fight. Come to love it like a brother, and it will never surprise you." - Born for the Saber
Old 01-26-2021, 8:28 PM

Thanks for sharing. I was under the impression cash tips were not allowed, but ammo was kind of the way around it.